Han

Game version 3.006 discussion: GFX update, numerous features and fixes

This afternoon at WOL i was feeling myself kind of acured with my g6. Tracers seem to help a little more on the aiming i got that feeling but I could know better if the shot was going to hit just looking the tracer flying to my target. 

• Upvote 1

You magnificent bastards :clapping:. Awesome update. Your hard work is very much appreciated. :salute:

• Thanks 1

So far I'm enjoying the hell out of this patch.  Thanks again for the update!  I *think* I'll try that 1000kg bomb in a quickie.  :)

1 hour ago, Torso said:

You magnificent bastards :clapping:. Awesome update. Your hard work is very much appreciated. :salute:

What he said. I don't know what you devs have been up to, but EVERYTHING seems to feel and look better. We've gone from excellence to greatness. :salute:

36. The water in all water cooled engines boils at different temperatures depending on the altitude;

Would different altitudes really affect the boiling temperature of water inside a closed loop radiator? Water starts boiling as soon as it's internal vapor pressure equals the pressure exerted on it by the atmosphere. Since atmospheric pressure decreases with altitude, you don't need to increase the internal vapor pressure of the water by as much before it starts boiling. Since the water in radiators is in an enclosed loop, it keeps building pressure and the water doesn't evaporate, since the external atmospheric pressure doesn't act on it directly (the forces from the pressure differential are exerted on the rigid tubing and radiators) , if I understand right.

Edited by gaooo
  • Upvote 1

Hello.

Is it possible to highlight the news for FC in the updates?

Please and thank you.

i.e.

Flying Circus damage model has been tweaked to something something xyz etc.

It is hard to scan through all the news and find relevant info for ww1 players.

Frankly I get annoyed at having to parse out all the ww2 guff.

Salute!

Planky.

• Upvote 2

There is so much to like about this update. I was surprised about the projectiles interaction with trees, wow!

As always, thank you. :)

Sure wish I could download the update but I blew up my psu last night right as I landed my 109 🤯  now I gotta wait till my new one arrives. Thanks devs! Can’t get enough IL2

Spit MK9 engine seems to be bugged now! It over heats now a lot quicker, which is fine, but It seems to want to auto limit all the time with out exceeding engine limit times!? @Jason_Williams please have a look.

Thanks 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AeroAce said:

Spit MK9 engine seems to be bugged now! It over heats now a lot quicker, which is fine, but It seems to want to auto limit all the time with out exceeding engine limit times!? @Jason_Williams please have a look.

Thanks 

I've noticed the Yak overheats like crazy now compared to what it used to. If I have the shutters under 50% I start boiling my coolant off and my engine overheats like mad.

9 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

I've noticed the Yak overheats like crazy now compared to what it used to. If I have the shutters under 50% I start boiling my coolant off and my engine overheats like mad.

Same.

If it realistic so be it! But when I play on normal the auto limit kicks in really really early now and also after maneuvers. I think it needs to be tuned. Ps when I play on hardcore, with in temps and engine limits the MK9 engine will break. So the auto limit and the manual limits are a bit wrong after this patch.

Edited by AeroAce

1 hour ago, Plank said:

Hello.

Is it possible to highlight the news for FC in the updates?

Please and thank you.

i.e.

Flying Circus damage model has been tweaked to something something xyz etc.

It is hard to scan through all the news and find relevant info for ww1 players.

Frankly I get annoyed at having to parse out all the ww2 guff.

Salute!

Planky.

You are part of Il-2 Sturmovik now, and you should be thankful that they included Flying Circus into it.  I fail to see the difficulty in finding items that were relevant to Flying Circus in the update list.  If this is too much trouble for you, or if you don't like the fact that Flying Circus is part of a bigger picture which includes World War Two "Guff", I suppose you can always go back to Rise of Flight, which is a standalone simulation.

Edited by SeaSerpent
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, II./JG77_Taog said:

Hey guys,

I made a video to compare the graphics from 3.006 to 3.005 !

I hope you will like it and be able to see what changed :) 

See you in the air ! 

I’m using a phone at the moment so it is hard to zoom in, but is the fire happening slightly in front of the wing?  

Just FYI, I get a warning in Chrome when I download the Generator Toolset (see attached image file). This warning points me to the following information page:-

"https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6261569?visit_id=636736180022603384-3961982459&p=ib_download_blocked&hl=en&rd=1" 

I doubt this is anything to worry about, but thought you'd like to know as you may want to determine whats causing this warning to avoid alarming too many people.

I'm looking forward to checking out the updates in your latest patch!!

Cheers

GeneratorToolset_Chrome_Warning.png

Beware: P-39 seems to be another plane that is effected greatly by the new water radiator modeling. Yaks need more water rad opening at high alts(speed not effected much) and MiG actually slightly less at middle altitudes - although my previous tests may have been done incorrectly.

Im more than fine with the new water rad model but the auto systems seem to be not working with them! I guess in next patch ....

FC has just EA launched.

Not everyone who is buying into it wants to read the news for the entire world.

It's separated in history by a good margin and attracts cranky old farts who may

find parsing out the WW2 cobblers distracting. As I already mentioned. Did I not mention that? Sorry.

And frankly if you wish to get more people on board it is good to not advertise the new improvements in

a post that is advertising the new improvements across the board. See, even reading this has been a burden.

( We could colour code them.... )

It's no biggie.... just put an ASTERISK on all the FC related stuff and we are good to go. 

*News Flash: We decided to drop the tracers and streamers from FC to make it harder to shoot "from the hip"...

Or even better send a heads up to the actual FC forum. We have one you know.... Right next to the tankers.

Just doing my bit to support the WW1 crowd. We are a farty old bunch... too much castor oil you know.

Salute!

Planky.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gaooo said:

Would different altitudes really affect the boiling temperature of water inside a closed loop radiator? Water starts boiling as soon as it's internal vapor pressure equals the pressure exerted on it by the atmosphere. Since atmospheric pressure decreases with altitude, you don't need to increase the internal vapor pressure of the water by as much before it starts boiling. Since the water in radiators is in an enclosed loop, it keeps building pressure and the water doesn't evaporate, since the external atmospheric pressure doesn't act on it directly (the forces from the pressure differential are exerted on the rigid tubing and radiators) , if I understand right.

This has already been brought up and commented on by AnPetrovich.

These cooling systems are not completely closed loop. There's always some gas in the system, be it air or steam. And these systems have valves that went into the surrounding atmosphere. Basically they are just overpressure systems - in case of a M-105PF in the Yak about 0.5atü, in case of a DB605A in the Bf109 about 0.75atü or in case of a V1710 on a P-40E about 0.2atü. So, roughly, where an unpressurised system boils (low alt/high alt) at 100°/70°, the P-40 system boils at 105°/80°, the Yak system at 110°/90° and the Bf109 system at 115°/100° (water assumed).

Edited by JtD
  • Upvote 2

Hi gentlemen,

yesterday evening we had a very nice session organised by our sqad -IRRE-. With the new update you can now see distinctively when one has to adjust

his mixture. We were scrambling in our PE2 with some other group of A20. With gaining altitude we noticed that some of the A20 above us were trailing

some thin black-grey smoke, but apparently they had no technical issue nor any engine failure. We then observed the same with our engines after gaining

some additional altitude - just to realize that we maybe should adjust our mixture. We did and the thin black-grey smoke disappeared instantly.

Now you see - this update has some new detail and challenges for us all to master - it's really nice and well done. Thank you very much! Very immersive.

Cheers

• Like 2

On the topic of water boiling, is it possible to burn off all your coolant? I notice that my coolant will start to boil when my engine overheats but is it actually modeled into the damage model? If I boil off some coolant I should lose it and therefore have less coolant in the system, eventually if I keep letting it overheat to often I'd have less and less coolant and wouldn't be able to cool the engine correctly. Is this modeled, or is it just a fancy graphical effect?

P.S. I'm really enjoying the new effects, especially the exhaust trails.

It's been like this since I first tested it years ago. You overheat for too long, you lose too much coolant and cannot maintain the temperature limits any more. It's just more obvious now with changed temp limits and new graphic effects.

17 minutes ago, JtD said:

It's been like this since I first tested it years ago. You overheat for too long, you lose too much coolant and cannot maintain the temperature limits any more. It's just more obvious now with changed temp limits and new graphic effects.

Cool, just curious. I never really thought about it before they added the new graphical effect, should have known though.

48 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

On the topic of water boiling, is it possible to burn off all your coolant? I notice that my coolant will start to boil when my engine overheats but is it actually modeled into the damage model? If I boil off some coolant I should lose it and therefore have less coolant in the system, eventually if I keep letting it overheat to often I'd have less and less coolant and wouldn't be able to cool the engine correctly. Is this modeled, or is it just a fancy graphical effect?

P.S. I'm really enjoying the new effects, especially the exhaust trails.

Yes,

the lost of coolant due the leak or boiling was modelled since RoF. :)

P.S.

You can also lost oil or fuel due leaks, and moreover, since 3.006 you can also lost the burning fuel in fire.

P.P.S.

The amount of oil and coolant actually does matter for the heat balance of engines.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

5 minutes ago, =LG=Kathon said:

New bug: tracers not visible at all in Mig-3 with 20mm.

the MiG-3 never had tracers, because it didn't have tracer ammo

11 minutes ago, AnPetrovich said:

Yes,

P.S.

You can also lost oil or fuel due leaks, and moreover, since 3.006 you can also lost the burning fuel in fire.

P.P.S.

The amount of oil and coolant actually does matter for the heat balance of engines.

And by the way - I forgot to tell you all to congratulate for your decision to publish this update before the rest - independently of having the next planes finished or not,

to me it is far better to schedule and publish big updates in steps like you did now. More controllable for you and you get less complaints / ranting I hope. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, AnPetrovich said:

Yes,

P.S.

P.P.S.

Very nice, glad to see all the details in this sim. I remember it in RoF but for some reason I never thought about it being in Il2 until the graphical effects were added.

Great work devs, cant wait to see what's in store for the future.

• Thanks 1

19. Bug fix: He-111, Bf-110 and Pe-2 right engine hits won't damage the left engine cooling system anymore;

just took 5 years to fix, but better now then never.

i like the long awaited netcode improvements. but after bodenplatte get rework on the dserver for 64bit and multicore support. those things are really needed for populated servers, especially with moving vehicles.

8 hours ago, BadBud said:

Do we know what are the two new aircraft to be released soon?

BadBud

AFAIK Me109 K4 and P47

31 minutes ago, sevenless said:

AFAIK Me109 K4 and P47

It's spelled out right in the DD what planes are coming next. No guesses needed.

This update is very welcome. Absolutely brilliant. Thank you. I wasnt online last night so im very eager to try it tonight.

• Thanks 1

Wow, what a nice surprise - I am late to the party and need to download this morning, was not expecting a large update already.

From the notes looks like an awesome update!

Edited by dburne

Excellent! Thank you!

I really like those gunsmoke and especially engine smoke effects. The burst of smoke when you slam throttle to full is very nice.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the update and all the hard work you have put in, I look forward to seeing this in VR :fly:

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the hard work. If you create the new secret weapons of the Luftwaffe and Aces of the Pacific you will will leave all competition light years behind. Good work please keep it up.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AnPetrovich said:

Yes,

P.S.

P.P.S.

Would be so great if the 109 had modelled the circuits for the two water radiators. I mean there are modeled now but there were a valve that is not modeled which the pilot can activate id one radiator is leaking. So this way you just lose the water on one radiator and you can keep working the other with no leaks. On the game if one rad is damaged you will lose all the coolant. 

I sended jason all the info and references. I can send you as well if you want.

Thanks.

• Upvote 2