Han

Game version 3.006 discussion: GFX update, numerous features and fixes

15 hours ago, Wolferl_1791 said:

I'm talking about the new wood effects on the WW1 birds. The debris is great, but the puffs of dust are simply too big. And as they disperse, they get even bigger. Especially in VR, with all the effects at minimum (the pic below is with max settings), it's particularly noticeable. 

Edit: I've updated the pic. In the right corner you can see the original effect on the lower wing, but the exact same effect at 50% size and 60% opacity on the middle wing. IMHO it looks much more realistic for a single bullet hitting a wood/canvas wing.

20180926230316_1.jpg

I like the new effects, very well done, makes it much easier to see if you are hitting the target. On my PC, the dust cloud dissipates fairly quickly.

Downloading for the last hour at 0.16kbs.  No biggie but just thought I'd let you know if you're looking for ways to make the service better.

3 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Downloading for the last hour at 0.16kbs.  No biggie but just thought I'd let you know if you're looking for ways to make the service better.

I would start the download again. I don't have the best net but I downloaded it in about 5 mins.

Help! My game doesn't offer me the update....

i write here because searching the forum i saw some other have my same problem! and i see developers monitoring this thread! is it a BUG?

is there a way to force the launcher see the update?

in case i need to reinstall (don't tell me that) is there a way so save my actual settings especially joysticks settings?

35 minutes ago, EAF51_Jimmi said:

Help! My game doesn't offer me the update....

i write here because searching the forum i saw some other have my same problem! and i see developers monitoring this thread! is it a BUG?

is there a way to force the launcher see the update?

in case i need to reinstall (don't tell me that) is there a way so save my actual settings especially joysticks settings?

Delete all files in Update folder and start game again. Game will update to current version. 

Edited by I./JG1_Baron

Thanks team, I love this kind of updates, much more than new airplanes, it makes the simulation better and more immersive.

Few questions.

10. Water steam overheating effects added

So if you overheat your engine you will trail white vapor trail now?

30. 30 mm and higher caliber guns can overheat (they couldn't before)

When this happens it stops working then cool down and work again? or shoots erraticaly until cools down?

36. The water in all water cooled engines boils at different temperatures depending on the altitude

The boiling temp in the airplane manual as a parameter is taken at what altitude?

For example Lagg 3 

Water rated temperature in engine output: 70..85 °C

Water maximum temperature in engine output: 100 °C

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

So if you overheat your engine you will trail white vapor trail now?

Yes.

When this happens it stops working then cool down and work again? or shoots erratically until cools down? 

They get less accurate.

The boiling temp in the airplane manual as a parameter is taken at what altitude?

For example Lagg 3 

Water rated temperature in engine output: 70..85 °C

Water maximum temperature in engine output: 100 °C

I don't know, but you seem to be able exceed 100 C at sea level and at 10km altitude you will vent the radiator in the LaGG 3

7 hours ago, Legioneod said:
7 hours ago, AnPetrovich said:

P.P.S.

The amount of oil and coolant actually does matter for the heat balance of engines.

Very nice, glad to see all the details in this sim. I remember it in RoF but for some reason I never thought about it being in Il2 until the graphical effects were added.

It was because in RoF there was no technochat in many servers and we had to observe the temp gauges, thermometers and boiling water. It wasn't rare to boil the water.

In IL-2 there is technochat so it's impossible to overheat the water and boil it off because we are being constantly warn in real time about overheat in the HUD.

I'm really looking forward for an option to turn the technochat off by server admin.

An update is great, new effects added a lot to realism in many situation. Dispersion model is also very welcome and it for sure requred lot of work. You are doing megnificent job, this game constantly improves and now i think it has bright future ahead! With Bodenplatte there will come a golden time for IL-2 serie.

Edited by sereme1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

Can you overheat the water in a 109? since it is automatic and the gauge never moves I assume not?

Yesterday in TAW dogfighting a 109 I was seeing a small white vapor trail, lot smaller than the regular white vapor trail  we get now when rads get hit.

So I wondered if he overheated or I just got a small hit and now graphics model can show smaller leaks.

14 minutes ago, PainGod85 said:

So have the issues with the 190 A-8 thermodynamics model and the 109 G-14's supercharger been addressed?

No. I assume that the devs will be back to them and other to be introduced FM and engine dynamics once whatever they are currently working on is done.

Just now, sereme1 said:

It was because in RoF there was no technochat in many servers and we had to observe the temp gauges, thermometers and boiling water. It wasn't rare to boil the water.

In IL-2 there is technochat so it's impossible to overheat the water and boil it off because we are being constantly warn in real time about overheat in the HUD.

I'm really looking forward for an option to turn the technochat off by server admin.

An update is great, new effects added a lot to realism in many situation. Dispersion model is also very welcome and it for sure requred lot of work. You are doing megnificent job, this game constantly improves and now i think it has bright future ahead! With Bodenplatte there will come a golden time for IL-2 serie.

I'm really looking forward for an option to turn the technochat off by server admin as well.

Its much better to learn to read the gauges, if you want a realistic server with GPS off etc, its a lot more immersive, technochat replaces lack of engine managment skills.

1940s airplanes didnt even have a overheating announcer light, so an engine overheat HUD via technochat kinds of out of place in a realistic server.

109s and 190s had automatic more advanced radiators systems, which was an advantage over the russian airplanes.

With technochat that advantage its almost gone since the russian pilot gets a message when his temp is high.

With the new diff temps modeled of boiling water radiators at different altitudes will make even more sense than before, you need better engine managment skills. and the automatization of german planes will be more evident as an advantage. (I am flying russian in TAW BTW, just want it more realistic)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, PA_Spartan- said:

I am trying to see the effect of oil in googles but I just can't make it. Any idea how I can force it? :russian_ru:

I saw that last night during an emergency landing with a Yak,
my canopy was open and I got splashing oil on my glasses...very cool effect 
Edited by Swing

47 minutes ago, PA_Spartan- said:

I am trying to see the effect of oil in googles but I just can't make it. Any idea how I can force it? :russian_ru:

I suggest flying a WW1 plane and going head on with your opponent. I got oil on my goggles repeatedly following this method once a few of their rounds hit my engine. It is a pretty nicely done effect.

1 hour ago, PainGod85 said:

So have the issues with the 190 A-8 thermodynamics model and the 109 G-14's supercharger been addressed?

No, can confirm for A8 it hasn't changed.

Outstanding Dev....  Team. Talented, Dedicated, A+, #1 The Big dogs have taken over the Porch!

Edited by Magnum11
spelling

Thank you for continously supporting all your titles. We getting better with them each day, much appreciated.

I was wondering that now that we have this astonishing oil splashes effect on goggles ( and the raindrops as well), maybe we could in the future have some blood splashes. The pilot could be injured and start losing blood and losing consciousness little by little until eventually pass out. :wacko:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was this modeled in the old Il2 1946? I am not sure ... :soldier:

I just found some pics ...

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=7289.0

I remember Saburo Sakai being injured in Guadalcanal and flying all the way back to Rabaul!!!

16072010213403.jpg

16072010194720.jpg

Edited by PA_Spartan-

5 hours ago, I./JG1_Baron said:

Delete all files in Update folder and start game again. Game will update to current version. 

TY very much! @I./JG1_Baron

it worked!

downloading it now!

+1 Remove the technochat! (good reading about that here )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, PA_Spartan- said:

I was wondering that now that we have this astonishing oil splashes effect ( and the rain drops as well), maybe we could in the future have some blood splashes. The pilot could be injured and start losing blood and losing consciousness little by little until eventually pass out. :wacko:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was this modeled in the old Il2 1946? I am not sure ... :soldier:

I just found some pics ...

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=7289.0

It's a mod, it has never been official content of Il2 1946.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

14 hours ago, JtD said:

This has already been brought up and commented on by AnPetrovich.

These cooling systems are not completely closed loop. There's always some gas in the system, be it air or steam. And these systems have valves that went into the surrounding atmosphere. Basically they are just overpressure systems - in case of a M-105PF in the Yak about 0.5atü, in case of a DB605A in the Bf109 about 0.75atü or in case of a V1710 on a P-40E about 0.2atü. So, roughly, where an unpressurised system boils (low alt/high alt) at 100°/70°, the P-40 system boils at 105°/80°, the Yak system at 110°/90° and the Bf109 system at 115°/100° (water assumed).

However, the atmospheric effect on boiling would not start until the overpressure valve acted, bringing the previously closed system into a new pressure state.

Because we don't know the normal operating pressure in the cooling system, we can't work out when that would be, even if your overpressure figures are right (and I presume 0.5atü means 1.5 times the outside pressure).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

56RAF_phoenix

4 minutes ago, 56RAF_phoenix56 said:

However, the atmospheric effect on boiling would not start until the overpressure valve acted, bringing the previously closed system into a new pressure state.

Because we don't know the normal operating pressure in the cooling system, we can't work out when that would be, even if your overpressure figures are right (and I presume 0.5atü means 1.5 times the outside pressure).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

56RAF_phoenix

I'd think that the function of the valve is deternined between outside and inside pressure. Therefore, climbing higher lowers the maximum pressure inside the system as outside pressure decreases.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, PA_Spartan- said:

Fly the P-40 against some bombers. Did a few quick missions last night and most times I had oil all over the place after I opened the canopy!!

So much fun! 

Solved issue

Spoiler

The game does not launch at all since this update. The only thing changed on the system as well was an upgrade of the Nvidia drivers. Downgrading them did not help. All other games that are installed work.

I uninstalled IL-2 via Steam, deleted all remains in steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad manually, and reinstalled it.

It neither launches on the monitor nor in VR mode. Clicking "Play" in Steam doesn't even flash a window nor does the client appear in the taskbar nor task manager.

Where can I find directions at for support? Open to any other ideas as well.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

24 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

The game does not launch at all since this update. The only thing changed on the system as well was an upgrade of the Nvidia drivers. Downgrading them did not help. All other games that are installed work.

I uninstalled IL-2 via Steam, deleted all remains in steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad manually, and reinstalled it.

It neither launches on the monitor nor in VR mode. Clicking "Play" in Steam doesn't even flash a window nor does the client appear in the taskbar nor task manager.

Where can I find directions at for support? Open to any other ideas as well.

That is certainly strange I am trying to think what could be causing such issues.

Solved issue

Spoiler

I'm interested in how to document this, so that the Devs can get to find it.

Starting via Steam doesn't work at all. Starting via IL-2.exe, it returns an error "Code cannot be executed, as D3DCOMPILER_43.dll is missing. Please reinstall the software."

After the update I noticed a big improvement in the frame rate using Rift.  The game became mostly very playable. Only when I had a mission with lots of low clouds. That became so jerky when looking around that I began to feel sick and had to stop.  For simple duels with uncomplicated weather VR is now as smooth as WarThunder while looking much better. Keep up the good work!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

I'm interested in how to document this, so that the Devs can get to find it.

Starting via Steam doesn't work at all. Starting via IL-2.exe, it returns an error "Code cannot be executed, as D3DCOMPILER_43.dll is missing. Please reinstall the software."

go into the main install folder, open the common redist folder at the top, open the directx folder, find the install exe, run that and see what happens. Also go into the bin/game folder and see if that file is present. It should be close to the top.

I'd try a verify game integrity through steam, this file may have been left out of the installation.

If the file is missing, verifying the files should put it back, if not I can upload it so you can manually add it to the folder.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn
  • Thanks 1

I found what was going on, and reproduced it.

I must talk to lefuneste, his mod's uninstall.bat even removes the D3DCompiler4x.dll files from Windows/System32/  😂

I will talk to him so that he removes the faulty .bat from his package ASAP.

Reinstalling DirectX helped it. Thanks JonRedCorn!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PA_Spartan- said:

I was wondering that now that we have this astonishing oil splashes effect ( and the rain drops as well)

They added new oil effect?

1 hour ago, 216th_Jordan said:

I'd think that the function of the valve is deternined between outside and inside pressure. Therefore, climbing higher lowers the maximum pressure inside the system as outside pressure decreases.

Actually, I suspect the strength of the cooling system against bursting pressure is optimised to reduce weight. The system only needs to be strong (and heavy) enough to sustain the pressure difference between the internal operating pressure and the outside pressure. Therefore surely the overpressure relief valves only operate to avoid damage to the system.

For a balanced design, that pressure would be at an altitude that would be a little higher than the aerodynamic ceiling of the 'plane.

So, surely in normal operation the valves would never open and the system should remain closed and not boil due to the pressure change?

I would bow to more expert knowledge on aero-engines, but this seems logical.

56RAF_phoenix

15 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

I found what was going on, and reproduced it.

I must talk to lefuneste, his mod's uninstall.bat even removes the D3DCompiler4x.dll files from Windows/System32/  😂

I will talk to him so that he removes the faulty .bat from his package ASAP.

Reinstalling DirectX helped it. Thanks JonRedCorn!

My future advice would be to use JSGME mod manager, no need to uninstall anything!

Again the developers have done a super job.  However, when attempting a flight in the FW-190 A8 I noticed that the windscreen was darkened to the point that it was difficult to see directly in front of the aircraft.  Has anyone experienced this issue and I might add this same effect was seen on an earlier version on the same aircraft.