Sign in to follow this  
GA_332

What were Automatic on the 109F ? and for the 109G2?

Regarding manual handling like Radiator, Pitch/roll, Prop Pitch, etc.

everything was automatic with manual reversion......I think.

Not sure what you mean with pitch/roll.....no autopilot.

Edited by DD_bongodriver

thx Bongodriver, Ok all is Automatic but you can also turn on manually if wanted?

Pitch/roll my bad :D ment Prop Pitch ;-)

- Prop-pitcth

- Mixture

- Radiator

etc.

pretty sure all those functions were auto on both those models and had manual backup, really surprised nobody answered your question sooner.

• Upvote 2

what Bongo says is correct for the current version (and HSFX) in il-2 1946 and I believe is historically correct. There's much less work to do in the F4 and G2 compared to some Allied aircraft of the same production times.

(I drive a Bongo too - Great motors!)

Pitch and radiator were automatic with the option to operate manually.I guess mixture was probably automatic only because of the fuel injection. Supercharger was fully automatic, controlled by a hydraulic clutch depending on atmospheric pressure

Was there any reason for a 109 pilot to put the prop pitch and radiator into manual mode, outside of an emergency?

Was there any reason for a 109 pilot to put the prop pitch and radiator into manual mode, outside of an emergency?

Yes the automatic systems are only "pretty good" at managing the engine and temps and what not. Doing everything manually can get a decent bit of extra performance out of the engine, you can push it a bit harder when on manual.

I tend to fly the E4s in CLoD manually in combat, helps out quite a bit. There are times when you may want/need to over-rev and over-boost more than the automatic controls will allow.

The system is fully automatic with option of manual control. During start up the radiators are set to manual mode fully open and engine rpm
at 1000 until proper temperature is achieved and then set to automatic mode.

During combat the system is set to automatic unless damage prevents it due to the fact that the combat SA can be maintained at higher level
and thus assuring a higher level of survival.

Edited by 332_Goblin

I think I drove a different kind of bongo

Really? So this is an actual Picture of you?

jar-jar-binks-dies-in-deleted-star-wars-

S!

Prop pitch was automatic with manual backup. The pilot's notes I read told the pilot to switch to manual and make sure the pitch is adjusted to 12:00 and then turned back to auto. Also the prop pitch had to be on auto in take-off. I have read some pilots did use manual pitch during landing to get more responsive engine. But in general I believe pilots used automatic unless desired for a certain RPM/ata combo during cruise for example.

Radiators had automatic function controlled by thermostat and actuators. In case of an emergency or to override the system pilot could do so with the lever in the cockpit. Oil cooler was fully automatic on F-series and onwards. The thermostat driven actuator operated the door and aimed for oil temperature of 70-80'C. Mixture was automatic due the direct fuel injection as was the charger, pilot could not intervene with these. 

What makes it interesting is that the DB600-series engines were among the first, if not the first, in the world to incorporate direct fuel injection when the rest of the world was fiddling with carburettors. Combined with the automatic systems the workload for the pilot was low compared to contemporary planes of that time. The automation and pilot ergonomy was taken a big step further in the Fw190 with a more sophisticated engine management aka Kommandogerät. But that is another story and we will see how it wirks when Fw190A-3 is brought in :)

Edited by LLv34_Flanker

Manual pitch has to be used initially in the 109E4 in CloD, otherwise taxying goes nowhere fast. Auto once airborne.

Edited by II/JG3Siggi

Pretty sure pitch and roll were manual xD

He he thx ;-)

And hello Goblin <S>

Th Gents for verry interesting info <S>