Sign in to follow this  
Bearcat

Skinnable pilots

Will we be able to add our own picture to the pilot skins? That was one feature of IL2 that always seemed so cool to me.. Especially now that the pilot head moves when you look around.. DCS has skinnable plots but the pilot model is so precise it is hard to line up the face just right.. but it is doable.. I know it is probably not high on your list .. but it was so many little things like that .. easter eggs like the rolling pencil.. that really made IL2 such a game changer..  Do you think skinnable pilots may be doable?

Well Perfect Dark did it way back on the Nintendo 64, and by using a gameboy camera to boot!

This would be a very cool feature. As long as they allow custom skins for pilots then it'd be doable for the end user.

+1

Did anyone else think of Predator when they saw the title of this thread?  I'd put up a screenshot but it might be against the rules.  :)

Did anyone else think of Predator when they saw the title of this thread?  I'd put up a screenshot but it might be against the rules.  :)

lol I know some people are evil enough to shoot at pilots in parachutes, but to want to skin the pilots you've shot down? Thats just pure EVIL!

I liked the skinnable pilot too. Some form of customization of the pilot would be nice, preferably proper skinning.

I've phoned the police.   ;)

Edited by RoboticPope
  • Upvote 1

Skinnable pilot would be nice, I think we should also get a female pilot than.

Women used to fly in Russian airforce and it would be fair towards women in the community here.

~S~

I'd like to see the quality and changeability of pilots as was in CoD, that's a feature I always liked - far more customizable than just a face - I wonder how many people actually bothered to use that feature in IL-2?

lol I know some people are evil enough to shoot at pilots in parachutes, but to want to skin the pilots you've shot down? Thats just pure EVIL!

I've phoned the police.   ;)

LOL RP!!!

MAC

I'd like to see the quality and changeability of pilots as was in CoD, that's a feature I always liked - far more customizable than just a face - I wonder how many people actually bothered to use that feature in IL-2?

I used it all the time.. every time I fly I have me in the pit.. I also have a navy uniform.. and various USAAF uniforms.. complete with rank and unit insignia on my sleeve.. :) I thought everybody did that.. especially once elephant came out with that great pilot template that he put together..

• Upvote 2

Finally, I will be able to fly a Mustang in a Hawaiian shirt, flip flops and wayfarers. Just like I always wanted.

(But seriously, I haven't flown IL2 without a custom pilot since day 1. I'd like it to be a little easier, however, to post your own face on a pilot.)

I used it all the time.. every time I fly I have me in the pit.. I also have a navy uniform.. and various USAAF uniforms.. complete with rank and unit insignia on my sleeve.. :) I thought everybody did that.. especially once elephant came out with that great pilot template that he put together..

+1 (only the RAF equivalent)

• Upvote 1

Finally, I will be able to fly a Mustang in a Hawaiian shirt, flip flops and wayfarers. Just like I always wanted.

(But seriously, I haven't flown IL2 without a custom pilot since day 1. I'd like it to be a little easier, however, to post your own face on a pilot.)

It doesn't get much easier than in IL2. If you think that was cumbersome you shoukd try DCS. IMO that is such a cool feature you'd think it would be standard. 

I wonder if down the road they could make a pilot model.. something like on the order of what you see in some sports sims where you coukd kind of make a template and just add your own pic in the right place. Of course I realize that that is a low priority item as the flight sim part is the most important part of the sim. 

We could always ask nicely, it's not a hard feature to implement. They are going to have a 3D pilot, and the pilot model will have to have a graphic file of sorts. It's just a matter of letting the latter be accessible to the player, it shouldn't be too hard to do.

I used to make my own pilot skins using Elephant's template. Made a bunch for my RAF campaign with different ranks so I could switch 'em out with every promotion :)

Might sound weird to some but I thought it was really cool, especially in screen shots. Also used to add my own kill markings to the old Hurri as I added to my score.

^+1 on this.

I'd love to put my mug on the face of the pilot model.

We could always ask nicely, it's not a hard feature to implement. They are going to have a 3D pilot, and the pilot model will have to have a graphic file of sorts. It's just a matter of letting the latter be accessible to the player, it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Hopefully .. if not now eventually.. With the more detailed pilots it becomes a little problematic though.. In DCS trying to lne up the pilot face with the pilot image features wise is challenging and with the last patch the nerfed that feature.. For me it is always a little disconcertingly anti immersive when I look in the pit and don't see me.. or someone who looks like me. ;)

I used to make my own pilot skins using Elephant's template. Made a bunch for my RAF campaign with different ranks so I could switch 'em out with every promotion :)

Might sound weird to some but I thought it was really cool, especially in screen shots. Also used to add my own kill markings to the old Hurri as I added to my score.

Yeah he had the best one.. I have a template that I put together from his template and a few other skins.. Some with green flight suits o=others with the leather jacket.. some with kakhis.. all the jackets of course have the US flag, 15th AF logo and 99th patch in the right places.. :)

The RoF team has been good about putting together well organized aircraft templates for people that want to make their own WWI paint schemes, so I don't see why they couldn't do that for the various pilot models. I would imagine it'd be pretty far down on the list of things to do, but still.

Yes! Please let us make pilot skins. I want to see Billfish hanging in the chute online again. :lol:

Yes! Please let us make pilot skins. I want to see Billfish hanging in the chute online again. :lol:

Yeah, but where is she now?

I think she disappeared from the IL-2 scene. LeBillfish was around at Ubi for a long time and sometimes at AAA or AAS.

On the other hand I think she is not interested in BoS as she is more into PTO and specifally Japanese Airforce. As far as I remember.

Skinning the pilot* would be a nice little feature to be implemented in BoS. +1

(strange expression "skinning the pilot", it also means "flaying the pilot") :biggrin: