Sign in to follow this  
Death1111

New gaming PC for IL2 BOS advice

Hello everyone,

I have been on extended leave from IL2 BOS for the past 2 years or so, my PC died and then I moved house and have been busy etc. However I have gotten to the point now that I just cannot take it anymore and I need to get back into the skies. I am buying a new gaming PC this week and need advice as to whether the rig I am looking at will be suitable- I wish to run the game at max settings.

These are the specs ( see below) of the pc I am thinking of buying, does anyone have any recommendations regarding this please? I was hoping for an I7 however the price difference is significant and from my limited knowledge I think the I5-8500 coupled with the 6GB GTX 1060 should be more than enough? Will the I5 be enough for the GTX 1060 to reach it's full potential?

CPU: Intel Core i5-8500 3.00GHz
MB:
Gigabyte H370-HD3 Motherboard
VGA: Gigabyte Nvidia 6GB GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 
Ram: GeIL EVO FORZA 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2400
SSD: WD Green 240GB M.2 SSD
HD: Seagate 3.5" BarraCuda 2TB SATA III Hard Disk Drive
Case: Rotanium TG301 Black USB3.0 Blue LED Tempered Glass Gaming Case
PSU: Coolermaster MWE 650W 80+ Bronze Power Supply
SW:

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 32bit/64bit USB Drive

Edited by Death1111

43 minutes ago, Death1111 said:

I was hoping for an I7 however the price difference is significant and from my limited knowledge I think the I5-8500 coupled with the 6GB GTX 1060 should be more than enough? Will the I5 be enough for the GTX 1060 to reach it's full potential?

It depends. What screen resolution do you plan to use and what frame rates do you expect? 

The GTX 1060 is great for 1080p resolution; it can remain near 60 fps at max settings most of the time. 1440p is pushing it, and 4K is far too much.   

The i5-8500 is adequate for Il-2 on a monitor, but it's perhaps not the ideal choice. As Il-2 depends strongly on single-thread performance, the i5-8500 is held back by its somewhat low 4.1 GHz max turbo frequency. However, this is largely irrelevant as you'd likely be GPU-limited most of the time. Don't pay much attention to the i7 vs i5 vs i3 branding; only the frequency matters for Il-2 (and most other games). 

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

7 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

It depends. What screen resolution do you plan to use and what frame rates do you expect? 

The GTX 1060 is great for 1080p resolution; it can remain near 60 fps at max settings most of the time. 1440p is pushing it, and 4K is far too much.   

The i5-8500 is adequate for Il-2 on a monitor, but it's perhaps not the ideal choice. As Il-2 depends strongly on single-thread performance, the i5-8500 is held back by its somewhat low 4.1 GHz max turbo frequency. However, this is largely irrelevant as you'd likely be GPU-limited most of the time. Don't pay much attention to the i7 vs i5 vs i3 branding; only the frequency matters for Il-2 (and most other games). 

Thanks for the info, would you suggest this instead:

Processor: Intel Core i7 8700 6x Core

Motherboard: Intel LGA1151 Board

Ram: 8GB Certified DDR4 Ram

SSD: 120GB (~128GB) Solid State

HDD: 1TB SATA 3 7200 RPM 6GB/S

Graphics: 4GB Nvidia GTX 1050TI

First question you need to do to yourself is how you are going to play: Monitor or VR?

If you have not tried VR, then try it and decide if you like it. (VR will require more expensive PC)

If you decide to go for monitor then you will need to decide first your resolution (1080p, 1444p, 2160p) and freq (60Hz, etc).

Once you decided the above then you can start thinking about the PC you require.

These are good points you make Chiliwili, my naivety has been laid bare....thanks for the advice, I will get back to you