Death1111

New gaming PC for IL2 BOS advice

Hello everyone,

I have been on extended leave from IL2 BOS for the past 2 years or so, my PC died and then I moved house and have been busy etc. However I have gotten to the point now that I just cannot take it anymore and I need to get back into the skies. I am buying a new gaming PC this week and need advice as to whether the rig I am looking at will be suitable- I wish to run the game at max settings.

These are the specs ( see below) of the pc I am thinking of buying, does anyone have any recommendations regarding this please? I was hoping for an I7 however the price difference is significant and from my limited knowledge I think the I5-8500 coupled with the 6GB GTX 1060 should be more than enough? Will the I5 be enough for the GTX 1060 to reach it's full potential?

CPU: Intel Core i5-8500 3.00GHz
MB:
Gigabyte H370-HD3 Motherboard
VGA: Gigabyte Nvidia 6GB GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 
Ram: GeIL EVO FORZA 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2400
SSD: WD Green 240GB M.2 SSD
HD: Seagate 3.5" BarraCuda 2TB SATA III Hard Disk Drive
Case: Rotanium TG301 Black USB3.0 Blue LED Tempered Glass Gaming Case
PSU: Coolermaster MWE 650W 80+ Bronze Power Supply
SW:

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 32bit/64bit USB Drive

• Like 1

What monitor are you using?

What FPS you are expecting?

Who killed kennedy?

At 1080p you will have what you want but 2580 x 1440 may cause small hiccups sometimes.

At 4K you need better GPU.

Edited by Godspeed

I'm running that exact setup except with an 8600k, it runs fairly effortlessly on 1080p maxed settings at around 100fps.

Before I had the 1060 in combination with a much slower CPU and it was a world of difference, so I'm guessing however much slower the 8500 is its how much less fps you get. It's very cpu dependent.

It might be better to grab the 8600? Its only marginally more expensive afaik and it might be more a performance boost to try invest into that rather than something else.

Get the 8600k, a little bit more money but its worth it entirely. Depending on your monitor and FPS minimum i would say if you wanted 2k res then go for a 1070/1080 (really cheap now because of the new card launch) but for 1080p it should be a great build!  

Edited by -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor
  • Upvote 1

I think you'll need the 1070 if you wish to play at greater than 1080p.

I have that and an i5 which gives me >100 fps a lot of the time, running at 4k res.

Good luck S!

• Like 1

I am unsure of your location which will effect pricing, but I can see a few things I would absolutely replace in that list,

I'd go i5 8600k

z370 to overclock the cpu if wanted, the h series board doesn't support it and that 8500 at stock clocks is a dog

swap that coolermaster psu out for a seasonic gold series 750w

swap that ram out for some g.skill 16gb 3200 mhz

The rest is up to you. The 1060 will get you playing at 1080p but with prices dropping I'd go for a 1070 at the least. Matter of fact I have a evga 1070 FTW for sale would let it go cheap to fellow flight simmer if in the US. But with those specs you listed I somehow think you are in Europe.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

One thing to consider is whether you are at all interested in getting VR (which I can HIGHLY recommend for IL-2), in which case you'd want to get a much better GPU. 

My motherboard died two weeks ago and I so decided to upgrade to an i7-8700k and I have a 1080ti which with my old i5-4690k didn't quite cut it. 

Now it runs very well. 

Just something to think about. 

Hope your build goes well! 😊

Are you considering VR ? if so look for fastest single core cpu speed. I'm also likely upgrading soon, got my eyes on one of the new 9700k's

Without VR, I run three 1920x1080p monitors on an overclocked i7-2700k, 16GB memory, and a GTX 970, with settings maxed except for view distance set to 40km, grass detail distance lower, and AA off (to make 1 or 2 pixel contacts easier to spot) and lower quality shadows, and I am consistently in the 50-60+ fps range.

I actually didn't notice any difference visually when I dialed view distance back. Apparently it was a resource hog for little to no actual gain. With it maxed, I was in the 30-40 fps range in single player but it lagged and stuttered badly in heavily-loaded multiplayer. After dialing those things down, it's nice and smooth no matter where I fly. And I could probably bump some things back up a bit, but I haven't bothered since I couldn't tell a difference anyway. 

The difference between 150km and 40km is 110km lol. I can certainly tell the difference. Grass distance effects more than just the grass distance, it changes the resolution of all the ground objects like trees and whatnot as well. The grass distance option is certainly a heavy hitter.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

It could be that I just haven't flown enough in more populated missions to see the difference between having it set to 40km and maxed out. Maybe I'll try leaving the grass detail lowered and increase the view distance and see how that goes. 

Your motherboard supports a M.2 SSD. I'd forget about the hard drives you have listed and put everything on M.2 for greater speed.

Also concur with JonRedcorn regarding the ram and power supply.

10 minutes ago, Gordon200 said:

Your motherboard supports a M.2 SSD. I'd forget about the hard drives you have listed and put everything on M.2 for greater speed.

Also concur with JonRedcorn regarding the ram and power supply.

One thing to note, there are 2 types of M2 ssd's, there is NVME which yes, will give you VERY high speeds, at a price, and then there is M2 sata, its just a different form factor than your average 2.5in SSD, no speed increase. SSD's are very confusing right now.

Thanks for all the information guys, really big help, I think I will need to dig a bit deeper into my wallet.....this is actually the first time I have acted parsimoniously when buying a gaming pc, I used to just go all out, but I have the wife to think about now ;)

That being said I think it is well worth forking out an extra $500 or so, given I will probably have the rig for a few years, and I do want to finally try VR.

I am in Australia by the way, the specs I entered above were going to set me back around $1.5k....$2k is probably my max budget

Again, thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it....hopefully I will be hunting Russians by this weekend :)