LukeFF

Restoration of airworthy Me 262 with original Jumos nearing completion

When I retire I wanna work there. I can scrub toilets make coffee etc. Just wanna be close to all that beauty he has accumulated.

One of the many benefits of moving up to the Puget Sound region, was the close proximity to the FHCAM.  I go as often as I can, and it is superb every single time.  Can't wait to see the Schwalbe in the air!

11 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

Well Jumo engines was not known for reliability and durability. But I guess they are built up with good metal this time. To be truthful I would rather have this

Eh, it's just a mishmash of new and original parts that's only ever going to sit in a museum (not to mention, that particular paint scheme is highly speculative. There are no known photos of Nowonty's 262). Paul Allen's plane, on the other hand, is a genuine original with a known history and is using original wartime engines (they are not modern reproductions). To me, that's far more compelling and fascinating. 

Edited by LukeFF

29 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Paul Allen's plane, on the other hand, is a genuine original with a known history and is using original wartime engines (they are not modern reproductions). To me, that's far more compelling and fascinating. 

Agreed. The fact that it’s a real veteran of WWII with original engines makes it so much more special. Over 70 years after it was built, it’s going into the air again.

With the exception of speaking to actual veterans, it’s living history at it’s finest.

8 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Eh, it's just a mishmash of new and original parts that's only ever going to sit in a museum

If I was to buy a ME 262 flyable, lets say somewhere around 6 million $ I would never ever dear to fly it. So I rather buy one I can sit in and pretend I fly in. And it was meant as a joke. This restored aircraft original talked about will cost over 6 million $. I admire the undertaking here. But you should consider  what a "authentic" WW2 fighter flying today consist of. Many flyable aircraft if not all is a mix of many parts a great deal new parts. I do not think any of the flyable planes are "number like" 

There are planes flying that has been lying in ocean bed in 50 years

It doesn't have to be numbers matching, but I think it's infinitely more interesting with the Jumo engines.  Just like their 190A5 is way more authentic with it's BMW radial, as opposed to the Ash engines you see in a lot of the Flug-Werks 190 reproductions.

I'll give Paul Allen a lot of credit here, when he decides to do one of these restorations, he does them as historically correct as possible.  Sometimes, like with their Il-2 with the Allison engine, that's not possible; but it's very cool when they can!

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:36 AM, LukeFF said:

Eh, it's just a mishmash of new and original parts that's only ever going to sit in a museum (not to mention, that particular paint scheme is highly speculative. There are no known photos of Nowonty's 262). Paul Allen's plane, on the other hand, is a genuine original with a known history and is using original wartime engines (they are not modern reproductions). To me, that's far more compelling and fascinating. 

What is speculative about the paint scheme?

6 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

What is speculative about the paint scheme?

Exactly what I said: there are no known photos for certain of Nowotny's 262. That, and the photos we do have of Kdo-Nowonty 262s show a different color pattern.

Also: http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2012/04/nowotnys-me-262-white-8-kommando.html

So, that last pic may be Nowotny's plane, but it's not certain. 

Edited by LukeFF

On 9/26/2018 at 9:08 PM, WWChunk said:

It doesn't have to be numbers matching, but I think it's infinitely more interesting with the Jumo engines

I wonder how they'll make them work.

Getting the matrials right is one thing, but oprationg these things...phew!

I'd much rather have those J85s below my wing than these early jets. Unless they're stapling a FADEC onto those Jumos.

40 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

I'd much rather have those J85s below my wing than these early jets. Unless they're stapling a FADEC onto those Jumos.

I would be interested to know how they've restored those engines. That'd be an article in itself. 

On 9/23/2018 at 10:31 AM, LukeFF said:

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-restorations/paul-g-allens-messerschmitt-me-262-progress-report.html

Amazing to think there may be an original 262 flying again soon! 😲

Yep  - just a few minutes away from me.

I'll be going to watch it.

Saw the Mosquito fly some weeks back.

4 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

They're making some reproduction parts (some of the components not all)  out of better/more modern alloys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

The paint scheme of the plane has been revealed - it's much the same as the plane looked when it was captured in 1945:

Interesting paint application. Should keep the modellers and skinners busy 😄

Regarding the engines, the problematic components are being replaced with titanium equivalents custom-made, also I am told they have up to 6 of these engines available.  

On 10/2/2018 at 1:10 AM, Gambit21 said:

Yep  - just a few minutes away from me.

I'll be going to watch it.

Saw the Mosquito fly some weeks back.

They're making some reproduction parts (some of the components not all)  out of better/more modern alloys.

I hope you have ticket, right?

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-restorations/sneak-peak-event-for-fhcams-me-262-on-august-31st.html

almost though about flying there for a day  (live in AK)

just visited there last week, that place is awesome

had a back stage tour, witnessed fw-190 and p-51 engine check, and earl am il-2 flight...

the level of dedication/attention to detail these guys have is unbelievable...

20190814_082745_resized.jpg

20190814_092809_resized.jpg

20190814_083103_resized.jpg

20190814_100203_resized.jpg

20190814_085351_resized_1.jpg

• Like 2

We will definitely try to go there for its first flight. The rumor is that it will only fly once...then static... 2 rare just like their D-13..

All that restoration effort and parts fabrication - they should fly it more than once. I’ll be there for the first flight just in case.

Only bummer is the speed limit at that airport.

13 minutes ago, SCG_Tzigy said:

the level of dedication/attention to detail these guys have is unbelievable...

Do you happen to know why they deleted the distinctive camera bulges of the A-1a/U3 version and restored it to standard A-1a fighter configuration?

Is it because "people think of it as a fighter"? I love their top-notch restorations, but that would be a bit of a shame...