PzUmurkz

Illuminating the tank optics at night.

Hi,

What is the key to turn on the optic light for fighting in the dark. I could not see to range or target the enemy. I had to point the barrel at the moon to see the range :)

I don't think there's any at the present time. Thad made a chart of all available control.

Right. No ilumination till now. Anyway, in WWII there was no much tank combat without light. Only with Panther and infrared iluminating devices, germans succeded in night combat but was a very scarce material and at  the very last...

so, do not combat at night!!

Search for:   Sperber FG 1250

A Panther with a Sperber-system can be seen at the WTS in Koblenz (Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung Koblenz).

So forget about tank combat at night ? Its equally difficult for me with VR to pick out targets against dark backgrounds even with the help of red target triangles.I’ve wasted a great deal of ammo hitting all around a target I can’t pinpoint withe the sight.

Edited by Blitzen

On 10/10/2018 at 10:46 AM, Blitzen said:

So forget about tank combat at night ? Its equally difficult for me with VR to pick out targets against dark backgrounds even with the help of red target triangles.I’ve wasted a great deal of ammo hitting all around a target I can’t pinpoint withe the sight.

Perhaps there will be illumination flairs that mission makers can have arty fire, or aircraft drop. 

There were illuminated reticle in WW2 though I'm not sure if in those tanks from Kursk.

Some white phosphorous shells could help too, not sure if they were used on the Eastern front tho but in Normandy they were used to direct and coordinate night assaults and also to blind the German tank optics with the smoke as the phosphorous would stick to the tanks.

On 10/15/2018 at 1:35 PM, Fliegel said:

There were illuminated reticle in WW2 though I'm not sure if in those tanks from Kursk.

All illuminated reticles did was make the aiming lines glow, so you could see them against the dark background, doesn't help with spotting an actual target in the dark at all. 

us poor VR users suffer greatly as we can hardly see any tank reticule.

I'd adore a colour change/zoom option.

6 hours ago, thenorm said:

All illuminated reticles did was make the aiming lines glow, so you could see them against the dark background, doesn't help with spotting an actual target in the dark at all. 

But that is big help. I remember very well, trying to aim at enemy tanks, seeing them pretty well, but because of the dark background, I couldn't see my aiming marks. So glowing aiming marks would be a very welcomed improvement.

EDIT: IRL it is mich easier, as the reticle is near your eye, so you can See it much better with a dark background. In game it looks more like there is a large transparent foil with the aiming marks hanging in front of the enemy tank.

Edited by Yogiflight

On 10/17/2018 at 1:53 AM, thenorm said:

That is all I meant.