Lugubrious

Question about "Archie"

Read somewhere that British/Allied bursts where white/light gray in color and German AAA was black/dark gray in color. will this be modelled?

I know I read in Eddie Rickenbaker’s book that the bursts were different colors.  He flew in mid and late 1918 - I don’t know about the earlier in the war.  

My my guess is it won’t be modeled but hopefully I’m wrong.  

Ceowulf<><.  

I have read that too: but in this film the bursts are fairly dark. This is US footage, so they would have been using the same sort of explosives as the British, I believe.

https://www.videoblocks.com/video/artillery-is-used-in-world-war-one-as-anti-aircraft-fire-bsjd5s0diqwqw2oc

On the other hand, in this one they are very white:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca1U1-HBp-c

• Upvote 1

British pilots' accounts - e.g. 'Winged Victory', 'Sagittarius Rising' etc. do remark on the difference. It was definitely there.

AA batteries would fire patterns to attract the attention of friendly aircraft and make them aware of nearby enemies. The colour of the Archie determined whether the pilot was being fired at be the enemy or alerted by his own side.

Edited by 216th_Cat

It wasn't in RoF although it was often requested.  I'd be delighted to see it, but I doubt it will be in FC.

33 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

It wasn't in RoF although it was often requested.  I'd be delighted to see it, but I doubt it will be in FC.

Wasn’t it? I could have sworn that Entente flak is lighter than Central in RoF.

1 hour ago, PB_Cybermat47 said:

Wasn’t it? I could have sworn that Entente flak is lighter than Central in RoF.

It is - Feathered_IV is wrong, but it is an easy mistake to make. The Entente flak bursts are a fairly dark slate grey in RoF, the German are pitch black.  You might only notice the difference if you run a test mission firing both side's guns at the same target so that you can see the bursts side by side, where the difference is more obvious.  Which I have done:  top burst is German, bottom Entente.   I would have preferred a clearer difference in the colour myself.

2018_9_18__3_23_46.jpg

It was modelled in RoF.

The German sources often mention their flak using colourfull burst (basically, shell delivered flares?) o illuminate enemy planes and get attention of Jadgflierern to them.