lefuneste

3Dmigoto mod : icon masked by cockpit, zoom for VR, color change, sight strengthened,...(13 features)

I will not be able to make too much things before some days, but I have an idea. Unfortunately, only =KG76=flyus747  post his settings, but he has AA and SSAO activated,

If you are in  the same case could you try to disable both ? I do not use them, maybe this is why I do not have the problem.

Another thing to try is disabling cloud fix by LCTRL+k.

I will try to test myself as soon as possible, but it may takes time.

12 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

This is what I mean with "artifacts" and I´m not on VR.

Bad luck, it is likely linked to cloud fix. But see above.

Edited by lefuneste

I wasn't having issues with the shadows blocking the clouds like in 10.0, maybe try to delete everything and reenable it, also make sure you are posting which map and time of year you are flying on as different ones can cause different issues. I know kuban summer is working when it wasnt yesterday.

To fix the shadows I turned on SSAO and HDR in the IL2 graphics settings.

Interesting in the Moscow map this doesnt work but in stalingrad it does.

Edited by SCG_Joey61301

2 hours ago, SCG_Joey61301 said:

To fix the shadows I turned on SSAO and HDR in the IL2 graphics settings.

Interesting in the Moscow map this doesnt work but in stalingrad it does.

TAW is on moscow, having 0 issues with it. How are you installing it?

Stalingrad maps have a specular setting of 0.3. Moscow used to be the same but that line in the texture.tini file was marked out in the newest update.

I'm having the same shadow issue blocking the clouds. It's on Stalingrad and can be replicated by playing mission 4 in the Blazing Steppe campaign. As soon as you start, you will see it. It also looks like there is a shadow delay or artifact when viewing low flying planes from above. It's similar to the blocked clouds and is being done on the trees.

Running 10.1 in VR.

High graphics preset

Low Shadows

High Clouds

No SSAO

No HDR

Sharpen On

4K Textures On

Let me know if you need the rest of the settings

I got it working with the new update and it looks great! Thanks again!!

*edit* I spoke too soon. It is cloud dependent. I tried a quick mission with no clouds and it worked but with clouds the shadow issue exists. 

It is doable with cloud fix off.

Edited by 1_Robert_

4 hours ago, Lobstrosity said:

I'm having the same shadow issue blocking the clouds. It's on Stalingrad and can be replicated by playing mission 4 in the Blazing Steppe campaign. As soon as you start, you will see it. It also looks like there is a shadow delay or artifact when viewing low flying planes from above. It's similar to the blocked clouds and is being done on the trees.

Running 10.1 in VR.

High graphics preset

Low Shadows

High Clouds

No SSAO

No HDR

Sharpen On

4K Textures On

Let me know if you need the rest of the settings

At least some factual context. I will try to reproduce (if I'have unlocked this mission) as soon as possible, but it may be at the end of this week.

As other people  here, I did not find any issue with clouds with my conf (no SSAO/AA, cloud =low).

The posts above make me think that the problem is linked to a specific settings configuration. In some cases, setting SSAO solve the problem, but I do not use it and I do not have any cloud problem.

if it's not AA or SSAO maybe it's cloud quality ? The only two who gave their settings are on high. Of coure, if you use the high cloud quality mod, uninstall it before making tests/bug report. 

Edited by lefuneste

High preset

2xAA

High shadows 

Ssao on

Hdr on

100km distance 

Normal grass

Blurred landscape

All I can think of. Mods working fine. 

Oculus rift 

SteamVR beta 

Use jsgme. 

I had the confirmation on another forum  that disabling cloud fix (LCRTL+k) supress the cloud "holes". I understand the problem, but I need to reproduce it to be able to fix it.

Can anyone try to set cloud to "low" and report if the bug is still there or not ? (or do the contrary if using cloud on "low", pass them on "high" and report if the bug is present) ? It should be logical that the bug is linked to cloud quality.

Edited by lefuneste

Tested it with high medium and low cloud setting as well as combinations of other setting, it appears to have no effect, the 'holes' are always present.

however I did notice under certain lighting conditions the 'holes' were visible under the horizon as well, I've attached a photo, hopefully it's clear enough, you can see in the prop disc there is a vertical section there. don't know if it helps but it's there

also don't know if relevant or if its been said at all, I couldn't see anyone saying it, but the 'holes' are the frame of the canopy if you fly an I-16 you almost won't see it, but if you take the Pe-2 like the picture here, you can see it very clearly, down to the holes in the metal frame

2018_11_26__14_45_20.jpg

Edited by =RS=Washburne1
spelling

I have the same issue as others with shadows. I didn't try low shadows (I will when I get to my pc). I was able to get rid of the issue only by disabling shadows or turning off cloud fix. With the cloud fix off almost all shadows that block clouds dissappear, but the shadows right next to cocpit frame still blank out clouds.

Tested on Stalingrad and Kuban summer and spring maps. Vive pro, settings: balance preset, low shadows, high clouds, sharpen on, antialliasing 2, mirrors off, ssao off, hdr off, 70 km distance, normal grass, blured ground. Also tried to turn on ssao and hdr with no luck.

Can confirm that the shadows from cockpit bars and other objects are blanking out clouds/reflecting strangely. Noticed it flying TAW on moscow map in all aircraft, more noticeable on aircraft with many bars on canopy. Tried turning on and off SSAO without any result. I have a track saved that I will upload tonight when I get home. 

I just tried 10.1, (didn't try 10.0).

So far all looks OK to me. I dont see any of the issues others are reporting. Graphics settings in the spoiler. Only other change is I have bloom set to off in the config file.

I used the uninstall method provided to remove 9.x when it didn't work for the new patch, and installed this version as per normal. No JGSME tools for me.

Spoiler

2018_10_19__11_11_48.thumb.png.ed0f78b99f68f476da0c8b8bd0ae1b2d.png

SSAO ON/OFF, HDR ON/OFF have no effect. Will try clous low/high now and different presets.

Cloud quality has no influence. 

Disabling the cloud fix (LCTRL K) does the trick tho.

Probably should of mentioned that, I don't use the cloud fix. Might be why I was having no problems with 10.1

Edited by 392FS_Jred

I tried mission 4 of blazzing steppe : no problem at all, even when playing with cloud quality.

I'm blind...

I  tried to make a fix "in case of" with 2 version, can someone try them ?

One should increase the problem, the other solve it.

Here they are: version 1 version 2

Another idea: which NVIDIA settings did you use ? are you using DSR ?

Edited by lefuneste

5 minutes ago, lefuneste said:

I tried mission 4 of blazzing steppe : no problem at all, even when playing with cloud quality.

I'm blind...

I  tried to make a fix "in case of" with 2 version, can someone try them ?

One should increase the problem, the other solve it.

Here they are: version 1 version 2

Another idea: which NVIDIA settings did you use ? are you using DSR ?

I'll post my NVIDIA setting when I get home. I will also try the two versions and turning the cloud fix on and off.

Thanks for helping us troubleshoot! I'm sure it's frustrating but your mod is absolutely necessary for VR on expert settings.

Ok I tried both 10.2 and 10.2b. They both still have the same issue with shadows blocking the clouds when the cloud fix is enabled. For now I can just turn off the cloud fix and it goes away.

I also noticed that when using the zoom, either 10x or 5x, the same blocking of the clouds can be seen even with the cloud fix off.

Below are my Nvidia settings.

Nvidia Settings.png

Edited by Lobstrosity
More Information

Apologizing for posting in the old thread, would've been my intention to post here.   But, upon re-enabling 10.1 in OvGME I wasn't experiencing the issue.  Hit L+Ctrl K and could see thru clouds again.    I don't remember hitting that key combo when I posted last night, and the only changes I ever make to the d3dx.ini are to enable key strokes for zoom and enter the suggested values for the odyssey to center them.  So I can't really be certain what caused the fix to be on or off or which was on and which was off between enabling the mod the first time, disabling, and enabling again, whatever the case LCTRL+K makes the issue come and go.  Wish I could help you pinpoint what's doing that >.< 

For a template trying to replicate, I did a quick mission over stalingrad or moscow with Heavy weather preset in an 109 e7.   

Edited by =IL2AU=ToknMurican

As I'm lost, here is an explanation of how the fix is working:

At first the mod create a kind of 'mask' by duplicating the output of pixel shader for airframe drawing. I use the mask to define if cloud part or if a label part is behind a plane Airframe. In this case, the label or the cloud is not drawn.

The initizalisation of mask is mainly done in d3dx.ini and is a bit trickky, I have to choice which shader will  trigger the creation in order to have the right mask size. As shader may not be used in the same order, or called several time but with different output size, things may be complicated and multiple case must be handled.

The comparison is made for each pixel of the image in the Pixel shader drawing labels or clouds. Coordinates of pixel have to be in image asolute resolution (ie 1920x1080) instead of UV coordinates (ie 0..1 x 0..1) because it will not work otherwise. That means that if cache image resolution is different of output image, there will be a "shift" between the area masked in output image. Eg:  if the mask size is 1024x1024 and the output image is 1920x1080, the middle pixel of output image will not be in the middle of mask size.

So you can see in example posted here that the mask is far greater than the output image. Why ? I do not know, because I do not have this behavior in my config, as other. There is an option somewhere that made the output of pixel sahder drawing plane airframe 2 times greater (that is what it looks)  than output of cloud drawing. In the past I have this behaviour with AA, but this should not be the case anymore. At least not on my config. I tried in the version posted above to compute a factor from mask size and output size, but it did not change anything, so pictures should have same size. This in unexpected...

As I can not find a automatic way to remove size differences, I will provide different version of the mod with different ratio that should solve this problem...I hope that all problems will have the same ratio error, otherwise I may have to produce at least 3 versions of the mod ! Another way should be to use another way/shader to initialize mask size and feed it. I will also have a look.

It may be logical that people having problem with cloud will also have problems with labels not masked by Cockpit/Airframe. Can you confirm that to me ?

By the way, this is why you should never mix d3dx.ini between mod version, there may be some changes that will brake all the behavior of the mod. I will remove user customizable field of d3dx.ini to pust them in other files, so it will be easier for you to deploy version of mod.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

I just tried 10.1, (didn't try 10.0).

So far all looks OK to me. I dont see any of the issues others are reporting. Graphics settings in the spoiler. Only other change is I have bloom set to off in the config file.

I used the uninstall method provided to remove 9.x when it didn't work for the new patch, and installed this version as per normal. No JGSME tools for me.

Hide contents

Was the uninstall method just deleting from the bin folder all the files that are in the zip folder for the mod? I will give that a try tonight and see if maybe I have remnants of the old version still installed.

No the mod has its own uninstall file that comes in the zip.

I don't think I am using the cloud fix if that helps. I'm not turning it on after I launch the game so unless it's on by default, maybe that's why I don't see issues.

2 hours ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

I don't think I am using the cloud fix if that helps. I'm not turning it on after I launch the game so unless it's on by default, maybe that's why I don't see issues.

Thats exactly the reason.

The bug is directly related to the cloud fix.

2 hours ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

it's on by default.

Edited by lefuneste

1 hour ago, lefuneste said:

it's on by default.

Just to provide as much info - I'm playing via Samsung Odyssey, using the steam version of IL-2 and the only edits I make to d3dx.ini are to change the values for zoom center underneath keyboard commands.  3dmigoto has only been installed using OvGME since the last time I reinstalled il-2 all together.  When a patch for il-2 comes out I check this thread, copy my old d3dx.ini to my desktop, not to use again but to get the y7/x6/x7  values for the two levels of zoom I make use of in the new d3dx.ini provided by 10.1.   I then enable the updated mod in OvGME, and edit the d3dx.ini in my il-2/bin/game dir to match only this key and one other key

[Key3]
;set med zoom on
 Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_RIGHT
; Key = no_alt shift no_ctrl VK_PAUSE
Key = NO_MODIFIERS VK_HOME
type = hold
; modify here the first value you want to use for zoom increase
w = 5.0

and then, I change the values for the rift to match my odyssey. rather than comment them out and make new lines

; Rift settings from -[HRAF]Black_Sab see https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30556-3dmigoto-mod-for-vr/?do=findComment&comment=589545
; Warning, this may not work with 3.0.2
y6 = 0.35
x7 = 0.0
y7 = 0.11

Other than that I do not touch anything else in the d3dx.ini.  When I first encountered the issue with the cloud fix and disabled the mod to get back to flying with a wingmate, and enabled the mod again last night and opened the /bin/game d3dx.ini file they were back to the values you originally set like you would expect with a freshly installed mod and I simply edited those values to match my headset again.  

Last working version I was using was 9.5 as far as I can tell looking at ovgme.   I tend to only update when i notice a problem introduced by a patch, and tend to flock to il-2 when taw is up.   I might try a fresh reinstall of il-2 later on to rule out that ovgme or the game install didn't get borked by steam auto downloading the patch while the old mod was still enabled, that would surprise me honestly considering the game works fine with the mod disabled.

Edited by =IL2AU=ToknMurican

So i noticed I had that issue with the shadows blocking out clouds, I don't think I actually had the cloud fix off, there's two ini files, ones dxini.leftense and the actual dx.ini.

Which of those are we supposed to edit to actually make the options work? I edited both just in case, just turning off the cloud fix.

I tried version 10.2b which immediately gave me teh same issues as 10.0, then tried 10.2 which works well with the cloud fix off, but the smoke around stalingrad is all messed up when zooming, it becomes transparent and looks all glitched out kinda like the shadows were doing. I am going to try 10.1 with the cloud fix actually off and hopefully that works. 10.1 with the cloud fix on apparently was working on all maps besides stalingrad summer/autumn.

Again high preset, high shadows, HDR SSAO on, Sharpening on, 2xAA

Edited by 392FS_Jred

2 hours ago, 392FS_Jred said:

So i noticed I had that issue with the shadows blocking out clouds, I don't think I actually had the cloud fix off, there's two ini files, ones dxini.leftense and the actual dx.ini.

Which of those are we supposed to edit to actually make the options work? I edited both just in case, just turning off the cloud fix.

3dx.ini found in the main game dir, not the mod dir.

2 hours ago, 392FS_Jred said:

The lefuneste.ini is just a backup of my settings. It wont be used untill you renamed it in d3dx.ini. The 10.2 includes a fix for a bug on smoke that may not be so good, as you report. I'll check that also (once I'll find a way to make cloud fix working for anybody).

• Upvote 1

I am not sure if this matters, but I on my Lenovo Explorer, I am able to avoid the wide rectangle holes in the clouds when toggling it off. I can also get three levels of zoom, remove the propeller, adjust the sight, and see that the icon labels are masked. One very odd bug (which I can live with but may point to a bigger problem) is that I can see icon labels when I look at my rudder pedals. As a plane flies beneath me, the icon labels appear between the rudder pedals and at the base of my stick (this is in a 109E). I have no idea what is happening, but its as if a few very thin layers are not masking down there.

Anyway, I tested this on a Kuban mission, on a quick start dog fight, and on two career missions.

I tested 10.2 on the otherwise unmodded game in 2D and the icons are still not masked by the cockpit and wings. Unfortunately, I need (small) icons because of my bad eyesight.

8 hours ago, redcloud111 said:

I can see icon labels when I look at my rudder pedals. As a plane flies beneath me, the icon labels appear between the rudder pedals and at the base of my stick (this is in a 109E).

I create a mask from PixelShader,  most of plane use the same PS for drawing cockpit and aiframe, but some planes use specific ones that I did not modify. I already include some specific shader for the Ju 87, it looks like there are also some for the bf109 E.

I'll have a look. 

24 minutes ago, lefuneste said:

I create a mask from PixelShader,  most of plane use the same PS for drawing cockpit and aiframe, but some planes use specific ones that I did not modify. I already include some specific shader for the Ju 87, it looks like there are also some for the bf109 E.

I'll have a look. 

I have the same problem (icons not masked) with the 109 G.

Im in 10.1 and I have had problems with cloud I career , but I set a O to the cloudfix 

And when I start Ill2 there's a conflict shaders 

But when I play I don't notice big problems , and the small I maybe not see 🤔

7180E288-A86F-4912-8231-2D60FED804CD.jpeg