lefuneste

3Dmigoto mod : icon masked by cockpit, zoom for VR, color change, sight strengthened,...(13 features)

8 hours ago, lefuneste said:

Warned by Alonzo, I made some testing to use new features of 3DMigoto last version to lower fps loss due to 3Dmigoto mod.

Globally, the mod is calling too much time the same process to setup parameter to compute offset for zooming.

So I made some modification to limit to one call per frame the intialization and made some testings.

And wow, on the 1st mission on campaign "sea dragon" I went from 50 to 60 fps (I am using a Pimax 4K, so no more than 60 fps is available).

That sounds really good! Unfortunately I am away from home right now so cannot test it. I think @dburne and @=EXPEND=Tripwire and @Wraithzlt are all users of your mod, maybe they will be able to test.

Thank you again for all your efforts with this mod Lefuneste.

23 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

That sounds really good! Unfortunately I am away from home right now so cannot test it. I think @dburne and @=EXPEND=Tripwire and @Wraithzlt are all users of your mod, maybe they will be able to test.

Thank you again for all your efforts with this mod Lefuneste.

I am not, I run no mods.

Gave it a try, not sure if it was the updates to migoto but my reprojection % halved according to the stats in advancedvr plugin on my last online mission. I didn't use any proper frametimes testing methodology sorry. 

Only issues I saw having flown only in Stalingrad map online so far was some blocky textures (maybe of the in hangar haze?) to the left of view at the menu screen. Nothing while actually flying. 

I'll post some screenshots tonight after work if it would help. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

Only issues I saw having flown only in Stalingrad map online so far was some blocky textures (maybe of the in hangar haze?) to the left of view at the menu screen. Nothing while actually flying. 

I already noticed the hangar problems, but I will not try fix it, haze effect are too complicated for me (like rain drops).

I have done some basic testing of FPS using the Spitfire (Common baseline) test track  but not of actual in game flying.

There is a noticable increase of min frames when using ver9.8 and "Always on Reprojection" in my HTC Vive.

Version 9.7 3dMigoto and SteamVr version 1527117754 hotfix beta

Async repro

2018-10-30 20:13:13 - Il-2
Frames: 9889 - Time: 120000ms - Avg: 82.408 - Min: 44 - Max: 90

'Always on' repro

2018-10-30 20:21:35 - Il-2
Frames: 10038 - Time: 120000ms - Avg: 83.650 - Min: 52 - Max: 91

Version 9.8 3dMigoto and SteamVr version 1527117754 hotfix beta

Async repro

2018-10-30 20:42:16 - Il-2
Frames: 9905 - Time: 120000ms - Avg: 82.542 - Min: 44 - Max: 90 

'Always on' repro

2018-10-30 20:39:34 - Il-2
Frames: 9725 - Time: 120000ms - Avg: 81.042 - Min: 66 - Max: 91

I am having major FPS loss with the current live version of SteamVR and IL2. Could be the video driver 388.xx, but i was having issues with 398.82 which i why i went back.

Here are the FPS with 9.7 and 9.8 mods.

Version 9.7 3dMigoto and SteamVr live version

Async repro

2018-10-30 19:54:25 - Il-2
Frames: 5797 - Time: 120000ms - Avg: 48.308 - Min: 43 - Max: 90

Version 9.8 3dMigoto and SteamVr live version

Async repro

2018-10-30 19:57:30 - Il-2
Frames: 6879 - Time: 120000ms - Avg: 57.325 - Min: 43 - Max: 90

Anyone else having issues with the latest SteamVR?!

On 10/28/2018 at 7:33 AM, lefuneste said:

So I made some modification to limit to one call per frame the intialization and made some testings.

And wow, on the 1st mission on campaign "sea dragon" I went from 50 to 60 fps (I am using a Pimax 4K, so no more than 60 fps is available).

That is unexpected, using the perf. monitor I was thinking that I may win 1 or 2 fps...The impact of 3Dmigoto seems very context depending, but this is very weird...

II did not made too much testings, eye computation is right, offset and cloud masking also.

Hi Lefuneste, I've tested and found the following:

• Performance increase from Migoto 9.7 to 9.8 is from 57 FPS to 61 FPS on Chili's very difficult Spitfire and bombers track.
  • GPU utilization decreased a LOT -- from 97% down to 85%. This is very good news.
  • Your 9.8 zip file has a d3dx.ini where there is refresh_rate=60 -- I had to comment this line for my Rift to work properly

Overall I think this is a good improvement! Thank you for your hard work!

4 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Hi Lefuneste, I've tested and found the following:

• Performance increase from Migoto 9.7 to 9.8 is from 57 FPS to 61 FPS on Chili's very difficult Spitfire and bombers track.
  • GPU utilization decreased a LOT -- from 97% down to 85%. This is very good news.
  • Your 9.8 zip file has a d3dx.ini where there is refresh_rate=60 -- I had to comment this line for my Rift to work properly

Overall I think this is a good improvement! Thank you for your hard work!

What exactly did you have when you had refresh_rate=60 in the file? I checked and I have been using v9.6 with this not commented out. Just trying to understand what this setting is good for. 

Hey  @lefuneste. Great mod.

Is there any way to make the replacement texture kneeboard more than 5 images? What happens if I add image6.dds or image7.dds etc?

I'd love to be able to put many more documents in there.

Keep up the amazing work.

Cheers!

11 hours ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

Probably worth a thread of it's own,  but do you mean latest SteamVR beta Vs an older beta? Or non beta Vs beta? 

The current non beta is the poor performer. 

The old SteamVr beta v1527 hotfix is giving me the good performance.

14 hours ago, -[HRAF]Black_Sab said:

What exactly did you have when you had refresh_rate=60 in the file? I checked and I have been using v9.6 with this not commented out. Just trying to understand what this setting is good for. 

It's strange that it had effect because it should only be use with upscale feature set on. And in this case it should only affect the "mirror" display on screen, not the VR output.

But anyway, I disabled it and updated the first post.

11 hours ago, Mewt said:

Is there any way to make the replacement texture kneeboard more than 5 images? What happens if I add image6.dds or image7.dds etc?

I'd love to be able to put many more documents in there.

I have to make modifications for that, otherwise they will not be taken into account.

Each picture has to be loaded as a texture by 3dmigoto and pushed to game at the beginning of the game, so I reduced them to lower memory usage (even if they are only 1024x1024).

But maybe there is possible to make thing smarter with new 3dmigoto build-in test functions. I put that in "to do list".

• Like 1

Just now, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

There's a new SteamVR Beta version, 1541195823, will try 9.8 with it.

Do report back!

22 minutes ago, Mewt said:

Do report back!

I have seen that some brown trees do render badly, like with a texture. I'll update later. About the performance I see it barely the same as the 9.6 version I had installed

Edited by E69_Qpassa_VR

How do you know which version of steam vr you have?

NVM I figured it out.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

Because the map texture are tiled and, as they are replaced by the one in .dds file, the result is also tiled. You'll have to zoom  and deplace the texture to use it.

@lefuneste: first of all, thank you for this mod. I use it in 2D. Two minor questions or requests:

1. How is it possible to show FPS on the screen using this mod? The mod seems to suppress the game's inbuilt FPS counter (activated by the backslash key by default).

2. I guess the kneeboard pictures are based on an Excel spreadsheet. Where can I find it, or could you make it available in the next release? Just asking because it would be much easier to adjust it to our actual 2D screen resolution thany by resizing the images.

Thank you again

Edited by sniperton

3 hours ago, sniperton said:

@lefuneste: first of all, thank you for this mod. I use it in 2D. Two minor questions or requests:

1. How is it possible to show FPS on the screen using this mod? The mod seems to suppress the game's inbuilt FPS counter (activated by the backslash key by default).

2. I guess the kneeboard pictures are based on an Excel spreadsheet. Where can I find it, or could you make it available in the next release? Just asking because it would be much easier to adjust it to our actual 2D screen resolution thany by resizing the images.

Thank you again

1. Actually, it works mostly in VR, but because it is masked by a wrong scaled cockpit frame, unlike other icons/text for which the scale is right. I do not understand why...

I did not spend time on it because I can read it by moving my head, but I will have a look for next version. It should be more troublesome for 2D usage.

Until that, you can disable icon masking if you want to see it (poor workaroud).

2. Here it is BoS.zip

But I'm not sure it will help...

7 hours ago, lefuneste said:

Because the map texture are tiled and, as they are replaced by the one in .dds file, the result is also tiled. You'll have to zoom  and deplace the texture to use it.

That was too simple. I figured with a complex mod the solution would also be complex.

Thanks for the work you put into this mod its quite enjoyable. 

6 hours ago, lefuneste said:

2. Here it is BoS.zip

But I'm not sure it will help...

Thank you, I'll make one page in HD for VVS fighter, one page for VVS attacker/bomber, one page for LW fighter, and one page for LW bomber/attacker.

• Like 1

Do not hesitate to update the charts, there have been new planes and maybe you'll have more data (climb speed,...)

If I find a way to optimize texture handling in mod, i could include your texture in the future version of the mod.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 2:56 PM, lefuneste said:

Do not hesitate to update the charts, there have been new planes and maybe you'll have more data (climb speed,...)

I attached two files, one for Allied, one for Axis, if anyone interested. They are made for 1080x1920, but theoretically anyone can use them as they are scalable in-game. I omitted corner speed and top speeds, but I added trim availability and stall speeds. BoBp aircraft are not included as I don't have them.

How to use: download ZIP archive, unpack content into the "[YourGame]\bin\game\ReplacementTextures" folder.

image1.thumb.jpg.f29fe32c6d0a2c34c3e156a8fa205c1a.jpg

ReplacementTextures.zip

Edited by sniperton

it there some fps increase using this mod?

it is possible to customize labelsin order to have only a dot and not the entire label with the plane name?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Virus* said:

it there some fps increase using this mod?

Unfortunately not, it may be the opposite. But the last version should have a minimal impact on fps.

2 hours ago, Virus* said:

it is possible to customize labelsin order to have only a dot and not the entire label with the plane name?

If you have a look on first post, you will see that you can remove label text (that is plane name and distance) and change color. The label symbol will be kept. It should be possible to change icons, but that will means too much work to tune it.

2 hours ago, lefuneste said:

Unfortunately not, it may be the opposite. But the last version should have a minimal impact on fps.

If you have a look on first post, you will see that you can remove label text (that is plane name and distance) and change color. The label symbol will be kept. It should be possible to change icons, but that will means too much work to tune it.

thanks for your reply...will have a look this weekend....

without labels something it is too difficult to spot planes, but wiht labels it is too unrealistic....

I have now a working version with a fare better way of handling the "kneeboard" feature.

The kneeboard is no more using the map screen, it will open a display on its own, and it is possible to go back and forward between images. No more tiling on displays. It is possible to customize kneepad size, but it will involve modifying variables in Pixel Shaders...I lack variable in d3dx.ini !

10 images (at jpg or dds format) are handled. It is easy to add more images, as all is managed in d3dx.ini

I had to setup a different way for the kneepad to be able to display it in VR or non VR mode, so a side effect is that sight will work by default and have different cycling option in non VR mode.

I use the bench here and had the same fps between the vanilla Bos and the modded Bos (but my Pimax 4K is capped at 60 fps. At least min fps are the same).

I need to make more testings and update the documentation and add the sight of the last Spitfire. So maybe I will wait the next BoX version delivery to diffuse the mod. 

@sniperton  : can you post here your excel source ?

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2018 at 1:04 PM, lefuneste said:

I have now a working version with a fare better way of handling the "kneeboard" feature.

The kneeboard is no more using the map screen, it will open a display on its own, and it is possible to go back and forward between images. No more tiling on displays. It is possible to customize kneepad size, but it will involve modifying variables in Pixel Shaders...I lack variable in d3dx.ini !

10 images (at jpg or dds format) are handled. It is easy to add more images, as all is managed in d3dx.ini

I had to setup a different way for the kneepad to be able to display it in VR or non VR mode, so a side effect is that sight will work by default and have different cycling option in non VR mode.

I use the bench here and had the same fps between the vanilla Bos and the modded Bos (but my Pimax 4K is capped at 60 fps. At least min fps are the same).

I need to make more testings and update the documentation and add the sight of the last Spitfire. So maybe I will wait the next BoX version delivery to diffuse the mod. 

@sniperton  : can you post here your excel source ?

Is this version 9.8 linked in the first post?

4 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Unfortunately, the new patch broke the zooms. 🙏

Yeah exactly...does anyone know a workaround already or is some update coming?

1 hour ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Unfortunately, the new patch broke the zooms. 🙏

Ugh, that's too bad. 

No playing for me until that's fixed. I really wish the devs would build a few higher level zooms in for VR users and prop disabling. That would satisfy me entirely. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

Ugh, that's too bad.

But it was expected...As they seem to have modify a lot of things (trees, sight, rain,...) it may take me some time to make it right.

And unfortunately I will not have access to my rig this weekend, so you may have to be patient...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, lefuneste said:

But it was expected...As they seem to have modify a lot of things (trees, sight, rain,...) it may take me some time to make it right.

And unfortunately I will not have access to my rig this weekend, so you may have to be patient...

Oh absolutely, no fault of yours. And, I appreciate your effort in keeping this up to date no matter how long it takes. Just frustrating that a tool that is used by so many in the community to make the multiplayer experience tolerable in VR ... is not just integrated into the game. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, lefuneste said:

We can be patient, thanks again for all the work you put into this!!

Yeah no zoom, no disable prop, and no change gun site, means no il2 for me :) 

4 hours ago, 1_Robert_ said:

Yeah no zoom, no disable prop, and no change gun site, means no il2 for me :) 

Give it a try -- they've improved performance so Kuban in VR isn't a slideshow, you might enjoy it. My ID skills are terrible now I have no superzoom, but I should probably practice 'regular' ID in the meantime. Also I was only flying the P-47 today and the gunsight is fine, but I think it's a fancy gyro thing and somehow doesn't go all weird in VR like the regular gunsights.

The importance of this mod to all who use vr in multi-player cannot be overstated. Thank you for all the work you do hope to see an updated version soon. 

Maybe you can use the information ......

Now .....when I zoom it now , it take the light from bullets shooting from ground , and the light right corner FPS 

7 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Give it a try -- they've improved performance so Kuban in VR isn't a slideshow, you might enjoy it. My ID skills are terrible now I have no superzoom, but I should probably practice 'regular' ID in the meantime. Also I was only flying the P-47 today and the gunsight is fine, but I think it's a fancy gyro thing and somehow doesn't go all weird in VR like the regular gunsights.

Hey mate, just want to add, you really don't want to call 'regular' ID what we have in VR, because the proper comparison to it is the strong ingame-zoom, which Monitor users enjoy.

What lefuneste's mod is doing is leveling the playing field.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3