lefuneste

3Dmigoto mod : icon masked by cockpit, zoom for VR, color change, cloud fix, sight strengthened,...(9 features)

WARNINGS

• NEVER MIX D3DX.INI FROM OLD VERSION WITH THE NEW ONE. IT WILL BRAKE MOST OF FUNCTIONS. THERE ARE NOW "USER FILES" TO KEEP YOUR SETTINGS.

I move here the thread for the 3dmigoto mod for its latest version.

Initially aimed for VR, it now includes feature that may be used by 2D users. In red are features useful in VR only, in blue feature for anybody.
Unlike other mods all features can be toggled on/off in game by pressing a key (that you'll have to bind with your joystick software suite because only XBOX pad are managed by the 3dmigoto library).
Most of the feature can be modified by you by editing a single text file (eg : color of icon, strength for sight, ...)
The mod is now able to configure itself regarding the current mode for IL2 : VR or 2D. VR Zoom will not be available in 2D,  sight will be at standard mode by default and a different implementation of kneepad is used.

All users settings are now stored in files in the directory "users_settings" in bin\game.

• user_var_initialization.ini contains all defaults settings
  • user_keymapping_zoom.ini contains elements for zoom : key mapping and settings
    • 3 additionnal files are provided with settings for Odyssey, PIMAX 4K and Vive. Default value are for Rift. Values are taken from forums, see inside files for references. If you are not using a Rift, you may rename the files corresponding to you helmet to "user_keymapping_zoom.ini" (eg I have to rename user_keymapping_zoom.ini.pimax to user_keymapping_zoom.ini for my usage)
  • user_keymapping.ini contains users key mapping for other functions than zoom.

This mod is only possible because of the work of people making the Helix or 3Dmigoto libs :  http://helixmod.blogspot.com/   or https://github.com/bo3b/3Dmigoto/releases

What does it give?

1. Icon/labels are masked by cockpit frame
    Toggled off/on by LCTRL+"U" key"
    icon_masking.thumb.jpg.729432d0c920ffdbb253c0c8ca9d0e49.jpg

2. Sight can be strengthened or disabled or displayed for one eye only to help their use in VR
    Settings cycled  by LALT+"k" key"
    default = right eye for VR a,nd standard for 2D.
    key press for VR = left eye =>  no sight =>  default sight =>  right eye.
    key press for 2D = default sight =>  no sight =>  modified sight.
    Strengthening settings are define for each family of sight (Ger, Ru, US, It, Eng)
    Defaults settings and cycle are different for VR and 2D and can be customize, see below
    sight.thumb.jpg.6bb604677eeb406fc1f43a75a8331fe6.jpg
  3. Propeller can be disabled to avoid ASW problems
    Toggled off/on by "Lshift+k" key"

4. Possibility to modify game rendering colors (brightness and saturation).
    Cycled on/off by "Lalt+u", default = no color change.
    Brightness and saturation settings can be modified and different settings  inserted, see “customization section.
    sat =-1:
    low_saturation.thumb.jpg.028b46c585d02d0b5f765d1737090980.jpg
    Sat= 0 (standard):

no_saturation.thumb.jpg.4d98d01c77c085dd3c6f8e9bf5385ca5.jpg
    Sat=1

high_saturation.thumb.jpg.87c7b1e081d6e1bc86e1ede7cf238a5e.jpg

5. Instantaneous X1.5, X5 and X10 zoom
    Activated  by "INSER" key for 1.5X, "HOME" for 5x ,"PAGEUP " for 10x.
    This feature is automatically disabled for non VR use.
    Defaults settings may not fit your IPD or mask, see “customization” section.

6. "IPD modifier like" that shift display to the outside and so enlarge the cockpit
    Toggled off/on by LALT+"Del" key

7. Kneepad like feature
    Toggled on/off by 'j' key
    Image cycling up/down by LSHIFT+'j' and LCTRL+'j'
    10 image are handled and can be replaced with yours, see “customization” section
    Size of the kneepad can be changed, see "customization" section.
    kneepad.thumb.jpg.38a9f545ecaa7db06d6990fb8e48519f.jpg

8. Label/Icon modification: you can either hide text, waypoint, or made color replaced by grey.
    All options are independent.
    Grey level can be modified and different settings cycled (eg: black for day and white for night), see “customization” section
    Cycled by LSHIFT+U
    icon_reduced.thumb.jpg.33264f53bc22a0765108fbb8114da8c9.jpg

9. Cloud fix : planes are far less masked by cloud behind them
    Toggled off/on by LCTRL+K
    Without the mod:
    cloud_bug.thumb.jpg.8a7a8a86b624d20b32116d98541203fc.jpg
    With the mod:

cloud_fixed.thumb.jpg.a62cde20cdc1a35b399b44c60d784716.jpg

Shortcuts summary:

shortcuts.jpg.744cb85d753f1f8e25965e3179ca1057.jpg

Installation

The mod can be downloaded here.

unzip the mod downloaded above and copy the directory  contains (that is 3Dmigoto_VRBOS*/bin ) into IL2BoS install dir

Or (best practice) use JSGME or OvGME: unzip the mod into your MOD dir of either JSGME or OvGME. Install it with JSGME or OvGME.

How to uninstall it:

• suppress in [iL2BOS]\bin\game , with [iL2BOS]  the install directory, all the files that are in the mod zip.

Or (best practice) use JSGME or OvGME 

Customization

All features and settings are driven by variable in “.ini” file  in “bin/game/users_settings” in your IL2 BoS install dir (once mod installed of course).
Two things may be modified: “Default value”, set when game is started and “toggled values”, changed when a key is pressed. They should be modified in accordance.
Default values are in the file user_var_initialization.ini

Toggled values are defined in the different “[Key*]” sections in the files user_keymapping.ini and user_keymapping_zoom.ini
Lines starting with a “;” are comment.

Modify settings for Icon: (user_var_initialization.ini and user_keymapping.ini)

By default no icon or text modification is done, only masking by airframe.

You can start with the option you want by modifying the following lines in “Default values” section (I hope that comments are clear enough!).

If you want to be able to cycle trough different grey level you can modify the “toggled values” for [Key7] by adding a new value (preceded by a comma) at the end of lines for z7, x2, x3, x4 lines.

x4 should contain your grey value, by defaults it’s the same for all settings.

When the [key7] is cycled, all variables in the sections are switching to the next value of the list, and cycled back to the first when all values have been cycled.

Modify settings for colors: (user_var_initialization.ini and user_keymapping.ini)
Same behavior than for Icon, except that the default values are z6, w6 and x1, and the key section is [Key9].
Color change is made with the following algorithm:
step 1 new color = saturation change for standard output (x1)
step 2 : new color = saturated color * w6 + z6
Saturation algorithm is coming from “peregrine7” post here.

Modify settings for VR zoom: (user_keymapping_zoom.ini)

It looks like each player need to setup his own settings for zoom...

You can start by having a look on SCG_Fenris_Wolf post to get better settings: 

At first : w is zoom factor,  y6 is used to shift horizontally each image left or right when zoomed (each image is shifted in an opposite direction),  y7 is used to shift up or down each image when zoomed (each image is shifted the same), x7 is used to shift horizontally the mask (black area around zoomed view)

The [key1] to [Key3] section contains settings for each zoom level.

eg :

[Key1]
;set high zoom on
Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_UP
type = hold
; modify here the first value you want to use for zoom increase
w = 10.0
; Pimax settings
y6 = -0.6
x7 = 0.0
y7 = 0.0

So for my 10x zoom I shifted only on X direction for -0.6 (60% of screen).

Each zoom level settings may be differents. So you'll have to define each settings for each zoom lever.

The easier way for doing that is to

• modify entries w in the following section at beginning of d3dx.ini (see below) : set w to the zoom value you want to setup (eg. 5.0)
;----------------
; zoom settings 
;----------------
; zoom square radius
; x = 100
x = 0.12
; default zoom factor (not to be modified)
w = 1.0
  • press F10 : game display should be updated with your zoom factor constantly applied
  • modify the values of y6, y7 and x7 in the following section: try to increase or decrease them to fit your need
;----------------
; XShift 
;----------------
; xshift for defaut IPD like modifier (not to be modified)
x6 = 0.0
; Xxshift for zoom (not to be modified)
y6 = 0.0
; Yshift for zoom (not to be modified)
y7 = 0.0
; xshift for mask(not to be modified)
x7 = 0
; ratio horizontal/vertical for zoom mask
z4 = 0.6
  • press F10 => the view should have been shifted by your settings
  • do it again untill you find the good settings
  • Report the settings in the [Key] section corresponding to the zoom factor you used
  • modify again w, y6, y7 and x7 to their original value
  • press F10
  • check that all is OK when you zoom for the zoom factor you just have set
  • Do all the process again for other zoom factors settings

If the 'F10" function does not work, try to replace the line "hunting=0" by "hunting=2" launch IL2 again and press numpad0 then F10. Warning : do not forget to set it at the 0 value at the end of your setting process, it has a huge impact on performance.

Modify images for kneepad like feature:

You'll just have to replace images that are in the "ReplacementTextures" folder by your own. Images should be 1024x1024 (but it's not an obligation) and at jpg or dds format. They must keep the same name.

Modify size of kneepad (user_var_initialization.ini):

Find the following section in user_var_initialization.ini and modify the values for Xmin, Xmax,...Image will scale with the size of kneepad, so you may have distortion if image resolution is not fitted to kneepad size.

[ResourceKneepadCoord]
type = StructuredBuffer
array = 1
data = R32_FLOAT +0.0 +0.5 +0.1 +0.9 +0.1 +0.8 +0.2 +1.0 
;                ^Kneepad in non VR^|^Kneepad in VR  ^|
;               Xmin Xmax Ymin Ymax |Xmin Xmax Ymin Ymax 
;				coordinates from upper left corner of screen in 2D and HUD area in VR
;				range from 0 ( left or up) to 1.0 (right of down)

Modify sight strenght (user_var_initialization.ini):

Find the following section in user_var_initialization.ini and modify the values for the threshold

[ResourceSightStrenght]
type = StructuredBuffer
array = 1
data = R32_FLOAT +0.05 +0.05 +0.05 +0.05 +0.05 +0.05
;                ^ndef ^Ru   ^Ge   ^Us   ^It   ^Eng 
;	 (lesser = sight thicker, 1 = no reinforcement)

Modify sight color (user_var_initialization.ini):

Find the following section in user_var_initialization.ini and modify the values for the sight colors. The table contain the 3 component (RGB) for each sight, family, starting from undefine.

;-------------------------
; sight replacement color
;-------------------------
[ResourceSightColor]
type = StructuredBuffer
array = 1
data = R32_FLOAT 1.0 1.0 0.1 0.9 0.0 0.0 1.0 0.15 0.0 0.2 0.2 0.1 0.2 0.2 0.1 0.6 0.2 0.0
;                ^ndef RGB-^ ^Ru RGB---^ ^Ge RGB----^ ^Us RGB---^ ^It RGB---^ ^Eng RGB--^ 

Revision:

2018-12-01 : version 10.5 : technical evolution that should made mod more robust and user conf. in other files than d3dx.ini

2018-11-25 : version 10.1 : some bug fixes (prop not always disabled, cloud horizon problem, drops not always disabled when zooming).

2018-11-24 : version 10.0 : compatibility with 3.007, new implementation for kneepad, automatic settings for VR/2D

2018-10-31 : version 9.8  : improved perfomance, 5 to 10 fps gain reported

2018-10-21 : version 9.7  : tree shadow fix, workaround (disable) for rain drops

2018-09-28 : version 9.6  : fix icon seen trough plan parts

2018-09-28 : version 9.5  : fix zoom bug with winter maps in 3.006

2018-09-26 : version 9.4  : 3.006 compatibility

2018/09-16 : version 9.3 : new features + fix + moved to mods section.

cloud_fixed.jpg

Edited by lefuneste
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 13

Hi Lufuneste. Is it possible that you can do a jsmg file only for this mod. I looked at your file but dont know where to start...would be appreciated.

Possibility to modify game rendering colors (brightness and saturation).
Brightness and saturation settings can be modified and different settings  inserted, ....

Edited by Luger1969

8 hours ago, Luger1969 said:

Hi Lufuneste. Is it possible that you can do a jsmg file only for this mod. I looked at your file but dont know where to start...would be appreciated.

Possibility to modify game rendering colors (brightness and saturation).
Brightness and saturation settings can be modified and different settings  inserted, ....

Are the other features working ?

The installation with jsgme is quite easy: unzip the mod file into your MOD dir, ot will create a 3dmigoto* dir, install it with JSGME. Same for OvGME except that you may be able to directly install the mod without unzipping it.

I'm also having an issue with 9.3.  Shift-K doesn't turn off prop and alt-K doesn't change the sight but I didn't try the other shortcuts.  I am using JSGME.  I reactivated 8.6, prop and sight worked.  No big deal for me to stay with 8.6 but I would love to be able to use the new features.   Thank you so much for creating and updating the mod!

Oops. I copy/paste the installation instruction of another post without seeing that it refers to an old version in addition of the link above.

I updated the 1st post, and I checked that the 3Dmigoto_VRBOS_9.3 is working.

Edited by lefuneste

Hi Lefune. Just want to say i imported with jsgme and it worked on what i tested for.

2 hours ago, Luger1969 said:

Hi Lefune. Just want to say i imported with jsgme and it worked on what i tested for.

Fine !

would be good to have a version with all vr things commented out. can barely wade through the wall of code and variables

9 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Where do I download 3.9 version?

Also do I need to uninstall the previous version?

See in first post : "The mod can be downloaded here. "

Yes, you have to uninstall previous version

12 hours ago, bush_wizard said:

would be good to have a version with all vr things commented out. can barely wade through the wall of code and variables

As there may be as many version as player, I'm not willing to make multiple d3dx.ini, otherwise I will have to check each before posting a new version...

There are not so many changes to do, and maybe someone can post here his 2D d3dx.ini version (to share the work a bit).

Hey, guys, especially anyone in the old thread wondering about WMR. I can confirm this works flawlessly with my Lenovo Explorer. I lurked for a long time in the old thread as I fiddled with the hopes of moving from 2D War Thunder to a more challenging VR experience. The most trouble I had was understanding how to adjust the images left or right for the zoom to work. I am still not sure what x7 does (I use both x6 and x7). Anyway, I now have three levels of solid zoom. I can remove propellers. And I can increase the cockpit size. I will soon venture into multiplayer and see how it all works. I imagine, at some point, the interest in labels and clouds and all that will become important, and this mod appears to address those as well. Great work Lefuneste, and everyone who tested and responded.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:27 AM, lefuneste said:

As there may be as many version as player, I'm not willing to make multiple d3dx.ini, otherwise I will have to check each before posting a new version...

There are not so many changes to do, and maybe someone can post here his 2D d3dx.ini version (to share the work a bit).

Moreover, you can use the mod "as it is" in 2D mode. The only things you'll have to cope with is to press ALT+K to switch sight for left eye or come back to standard sight and to not use HOME/PAGE UP/... to change view because they will toggle zoom. That will allow you to test it without doing any too complex things.

Tried the MOD last night, really liked not seeing the icons through the AC. Great MOD thanks.

Hello, Lefuneste. Thank you again for the great mod.

Unfortunately on my GTX 1070 I'm seeing a fairly big performance impact from the mod. It's costing me about 6 FPS on average and causes slow sequences in VR to be quite slow. I would like to disable all of the modifications except for the VR zoom -- that's the thing that I really need. I have been commenting out [TextureOverridesXXXX] sections in d3dx.ini but so far have not seen any performance change. I'm actually not at all sure if my changes make any difference! Is there some way I can remove all but the VR zoom mod?

18 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Hello, Lefuneste. Thank you again for the great mod.

Unfortunately on my GTX 1070 I'm seeing a fairly big performance impact from the mod. It's costing me about 6 FPS on average and causes slow sequences in VR to be quite slow. I would like to disable all of the modifications except for the VR zoom -- that's the thing that I really need. I have been commenting out [TextureOverridesXXXX] sections in d3dx.ini but so far have not seen any performance change. I'm actually not at all sure if my changes make any difference! Is there some way I can remove all but the VR zoom mod?

It seems that the fps cost is not the same for all. I have à 1070 and noticed only 1 or 2 fps loss, spread on all feature and on the lib usage itself. In previous version sight cost more, but I improved that.

You can always try to disable some *replace.txt shaders by renaming them. See comment to understand what they are doing and gavé feedback.

Edited by lefuneste

I’m a little nob in this mod. Having problems getting it to work. Can you guys please help me getting it to work. I have downloaded it and try to copie it to the game folder but it doesn’t work 

I am using a monitor not VR....I am only using the hide the icons under the plane....I just commented out all that are for VR....use the   ;  to comment out what you do not want.

11 minutes ago, 216th_Cathaoir said:

I am using a monitor not VR....I am only using the hide the icons under the plane....I just commented out all that are for VR....use the   ;  to comment out what you do not want.

could you please share your settings in a spoiler tag or upload somewhere

i know it seems kinda pedantic but theres so many lines that its daunting to wrap my head around

would really really appreciate it

It appears 3.006 broke the zoom again. While zooming the cockpit moves with my head anywhere I look. Also it appears as if there were two layers of the cockpit one that moves with my head and a transparent one. 

I'm still on 9.1 not sure if it's the same on 9.3

I'm sorry Lefuneste that I have to report something that might give you headaches. 

2 minutes ago, -[HRAF]Black_Sab said:

It appears 3.006 broke the zoom again. While zooming the cockpit moves with my head anywhere I look. Also it appears as if there were two layers of the cockpit one that moves with my head and a transparent one. 

I'm still on 9.1 not sure if it's the same on 9.3

I'm sorry Lefuneste that I have to report something that might give you headaches. 

ditto. you can get used to it, but for some it might be a step to far

New 9.4 version for the 3.006 can be downloaded from the fisrt post.

Not too much tested...

Edited by lefuneste
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, lefuneste said:

New 9.4 version for the 3.006 can be downloaded from the fisrt post.

Not too much tested...

You are a god among men.

I take it back!

Seriously though, it's still messed up seems to be zooming only the cockpit and objects, even roads and cities are like zoomed in but the map itself doesnt zoom, it's like a top layer of objects including the cockpit get zoomed in. It's not usable right now I was on 9.1 which was messed up as well but it was still semi working. I'll just pop into 2d mode till it's fixed since it's almost required for multiplayer.

Just wanted to mention, I just tried this opencomposite thing for VR it uses the oculusruntimes instead of steamvr, it made your mod version 9.4 work just fine like it use to. Using steamvr the problems with the double layers persist. That's super weird.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

6 hours ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

You are a god among men.

I take it back!

Seriously though, it's still messed up seems to be zooming only the cockpit and objects, even roads and cities are like zoomed in but the map itself doesnt zoom, it's like a top layer of objects including the cockpit get zoomed in. It's not usable right now I was on 9.1 which was messed up as well but it was still semi working. I'll just pop into 2d mode till it's fixed since it's almost required for multiplayer.

Just wanted to mention, I just tried this opencomposite thing for VR it uses the oculusruntimes instead of steamvr, it made your mod version 9.4 work just fine like it use to. Using steamvr the problems with the double layers persist. That's super weird.

can you post a track to allow me to have the context of the problem ?

i got some screens of it being broken if that will help... 

broken 2.jpg

broken.jpg

idk why the one picture is super small either way thats what it looks like.

im also using the odyssey

ok so i did a little more digging and found out i didnt have 9.4 installed and it is no longer doing it with the odyssey, at least not for me. but im going to leave the screens here for you bc idk what could be causing it. thanks again for this amazing mod!

It's very hard for me to reproduce things just with a screenshot. So if you are sure that you have properly uninstall the former version of the mod and intalled the new one, please post a short track when the problem occures. It will allow me to quickly load the context (map, plane, weather,...) and reproduce (or not) the problem.

I flew this night on Kuban and did not find any problem with the last version. But, as I had to automatically modify hundred of shaders, I rely on an extract of these shaders.

Most of them are available by playing a single mission, but some of them are very specific (Moskow map ground, Stuka cockpit,...) and I need to play the game in the context to have them available for modification.

So if things are not zommed properly, this should be because I did not play the game in the context where the things are drawn.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sorry,  quick question from an inexperienced user: Using JSGME, do I uninstall 9.2 (delete MODS folder) then re-install 9.4, or just install 9.4 on top of 9.2?

Great mod - finally makes IL2 work for me in my Rift!

5 minutes later:

Oh hell, I just re-read the thread and found my answer!

RTFM, as we used to say...

Thanks again, can't wait to try it tonight with 3.006.

Vulture

Edited by kirk66
remove redundant text

11 hours ago, lefuneste said:

It's very hard for me to reproduce things just with a screenshot. So if you are sure that you have properly uninstall the former version of the mod and intalled the new one, please post a short track when the problem occures. It will allow me to quickly load the context (map, plane, weather,...) and reproduce (or not) the problem.

I flew this night on Kuban and did not find any problem with the last version. But, as I had to automatically modify hundred of shaders, I rely on an extract of these shaders.

Most of them are available by playing a single mission, but some of them are very specific (Moskow map ground, Stuka cockpit,...) and I need to play the game in the context to have them available for modification.

So if things are not zommed properly, this should be because I did not play the game in the context where the things are drawn.

Does that mean that if we find a shader, we will start a track, then will post that track for you so you can tune into it - and hunt that shader?

Seems as the though the major issues are just with shaders for Moscow maps (can verify that zooming on moscow with autumn/summer map has issues)

12 hours ago, lefuneste said:

Yea man im sorry i couldnt get it to replicate wen i started recording. 

1 hour ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Does that mean that if we find a shader, we will start a track, then will post that track for you so you can tune into it - and hunt that shader?

Maybe this is what's wrong, I was on moscow when I was having issues. Dev's said they did some shader work.

• Upvote 2

I'll will check on moscow map. There are specific shader on it since the begining, but I flew few minutes on this map to make the last mod version. It looks like I missed something...

Same results here with 9.4. On Kuban the zoom is fixed, working fine now, on Moscow the objects are zoomed but the environment is not.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, -[HRAF]Black_Sab said:

Same results here with 9.4. On Kuban the zoom is fixed, working fine now, on Moscow the objects are zoomed but the environment is not.

Yes kuban was working fine, I attributed it to the steam vr workaround I was using but I guess it's just moscow that's bugged, didn't try stalingrad yet.

• Upvote 1

Same thing on vive pro. Zoom works onStalingrad map, but on Moscow map objects separate from landscape.

For vive pro having IPD 67.4 I was able to set zoom correctly with following settings: zoom x10 - x6 = 0.19,  y6 = 0.19, x7 = -0.85; zoom x5  x6 = 0.1, y6 = 0.1, x7 = -0.45

• Like 1

Hi Lefuneste -- try any of the winter maps. Stalingrad winter causes the problem for me, just in quick match flying solo, with the landscape not really zooming as it should, but then "ghostly" zoomed parts for some of it. The summer maps seem to be fine.