Sign in to follow this  
yaan98

Pfalz D.IIIa and Sopwith Camel

1C's announcement says we're gonna be gettin' some new toys soon.... OH YEAH!

Edited by yaan98

1 minute ago, yaan98 said:

1C's announcement says we're gonna be gettin' some new toys soon.... YAY!

What announcement where?

Meanwhile, Pfalz D.IIIa and Sopwith Camel are being developed for Flying Circus Volume I, the work on new WWI pilots animations has also started.

This was stated on update 200 on August 24th, nothing about 'soon'...

Your link simply states they will be available... 'The Pfalz D.IIIa and Sopwith Camel are up next and will be released in the coming weeks.' 

14 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

This was stated on update 200 on August 24th, nothing about 'soon'...

Your link simply states they will be available... 'The Pfalz D.IIIa and Sopwith Camel are up next and will be released in the coming weeks.' 

To me, soon='coming weeks'. Before 'being developed'=no timeline i.e. next month, year, century???

Edited by yaan98
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, yaan98 said:

To me, soon='coming weeks'. Before 'being developed'=no timeline i.e. next month, year, century???

Two weeks. Be sure.™

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, yaan98 said:

1C's announcement says we're gonna be gettin' some new toys soon.... OH YEAH!

Yes but which Camel are you getting? something historically credible or something that struggles to reach 100MPH?

It will be nice to get some choice for the flying circus aircraft and hopefully some more active MP. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Cynic_Al said:

Yes but which Camel are you getting? something historically credible or something that struggles to reach 100MPH?

Yes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Out of new IL-2 player curiosity, how do you know when an update is available? I think I read that you need to run the launcher  and it will automatically install new updates. Is that correct? 

47 minutes ago, Muff_Huggar said:

Out of new IL-2 player curiosity, how do you know when an update is available? I think I read that you need to run the launcher  and it will automatically install new updates. Is that correct? 

That’s right, automatic from the launcher screen.  If your internet is slow and you plan to play after dinner just remember to start the launcher screen before you eat.  

Ceowulf <><   

Without even the first preview of the models I would think that weeks means more than a couple.  Still, it is in progress and the new team has already delivered two planes, so we know that they can.

On 9/11/2018 at 3:29 PM, Cynic_Al said:

The Camel could hit 118 MPH at SL on a good day, straight and level full throttle, with a nice new engine (preferably Le Rhone, the Clergets sucked) .  Operationally it probably wasn't even that fast ... did I mention that the Clergets sucked.

The very slow DRI could manage about 115 at SL (the oft quoted 103 MPH is at 10K feet).  Again, this is also on a very good day.  The Oberursels also sucked, possibly even worse than the Clergets, mostly due to ersatz lubrication.

The Pfalz and Albatros were faster than the camel, but not by much. Don't buy into the lazy internet information.  They quote British tests of war weary captured planes.

Neither the Pfalz nor Albatros were bad.  It's just that they were not really good either.  The SE5a and SPAD were a lot faster (15 MPH is a lot by WWI standards).  The Camel was not too much slower and a much better turner. 

Anyhow, per the Camel, the British pilots who flew it joked that they were either going to be aces or dead, because running away was not an option.  Yes, it should go faster than 100 MPH, but not by all that much.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Without even the first preview of the models I would think that weeks means more than a couple.  Still, it is in progress and the new team has already delivered two planes, so we know that they can.

The Camel could hit 118 MPH at SL on a good day, straight and level full throttle, with a nice new engine (preferably Le Rhone, the Clergets sucked) .  Operationally it probably wasn't even that fast ... did I mention that the Clergets sucked.

The very slow DRI could manage about 115 at SL (the oft quoted 103 MPH is at 10K feet).  Again, this is also on a very good day.  The Oberursels also sucked, possibly even worse than the Clergets, mostly due to ersatz lubrication.

Anyhow, per the Camel, the British pilots who flew it joked that they were either going to be aces or dead, because running away was not an option.  Yes, it should go faster than 100 MPH, but not by all that much.

Leaving aside the source of your figures, they suggest that the Dr1 would be significantly faster than the Camel at all altitudes, while anecdotal evidence suggests it was practically the only German fighter the Camel could catch.

3 hours ago, Cynic_Al said:

Leaving aside the source of your figures, they suggest that the Dr1 would be significantly faster than the Camel at all altitudes, while anecdotal evidence suggests it was practically the only German fighter the Camel could catch.

I think you might have misread.  I have the Camel a little faster than the DRI  (118 vs approx 115).  The Camel would be quite a bit faster in a dive.  DRI has a better rate of climb and better instantaneous climb.  Both turn ridiculously well.  Pretty evenly matched ... so I think we basically agree.

I don't know what the speeds would be at different altitudes, but I imagine that the Camel would always be a bit faster.  Both had rotary engines that were not well suited for high altitude and both were mostly used at low to mid altitudes.  As far as I am aware the only rotary that had anything like decent high altitude performance was the Snipe, and even then the SE5a and Dolphin were better up high.

As far as the Camel catching the DRI or any other plane, I'm sure that sometimes it could and sometimes it couldn't.  With these old crates there was a lot of variability in performance.  Engines wore out very quickly.  Airframes warped (Pfalz was famous for that).  In the game we get pristine, factory fresh examples with no flaws in workmanship.  The real pilots didn't have that luxury.  Pilot skill would also come into play.  A better pilot would know how to keep his plane clean and get the most speed out of it.  So when a pilot account says he did or didn't catch someone that is that pilot in that crate on that day.  

One thing I am not taking into account is the Bentley engined Camels.  1918 and only used by RNAS or former RNAS units.  Those would have been somewhat faster (still not fast) but I don't have any numbers as to how much.

15 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I think you might have misread.  I have the Camel a little faster than the DRI  (118 vs approx 115).  The Camel would be quite a bit faster in a dive.  DRI has a better rate of climb and better instantaneous climb.  Both turn ridiculously well.  Pretty evenly matched ... so I think we basically agree.

I did not mis-read anything. For a Camel to start life capable of 118 then to drop to not much more than 100, would require a drop in power far greater than the percentage drop in speed. Were that to happen, the engine would be classified as un-serviceable.

So we're talking around each other.   I said the Camel should be faster than the DRI, just not by much.  You said that I had the Camel slower at all altitudes.  If you mean that if the Camel could only do 100 MPH at seal level ... yeah, that would be bad.  

On 9/15/2018 at 11:26 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

I said the Camel should be faster than the DRI, just not by much.

A mate of one of my Brothers is ACTUALLY a Sopwith, direct line. How's that eh? He's called 'Big Dave' and he's definitely related, 100%!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raptorattacker said:

A mate of one of my Brothers is ACTUALLY a Sopwith, direct line. How's that eh? He's called 'Big Dave' and he's definitely related, 100%!!

I hope that you’re saying he’s descended from the aircraft designer, not from one of the aircraft... I don’t even want to think about that :unsure:

But seriously, that’s awesome :biggrin:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PB_Cybermat47 said:

I hope that you’re saying he’s descended from the aircraft designer, not from one of the aircraft... I don’t even want to think about that 

I am saying exactly that!! He has actually got 2 little wheels instead of proper feet and makes a noise similar to a farm tractor on helium whenever he moves from one place to another!! :biggrin:

No, seriously, it IS quite cool innit?

• Haha 1