Bonkin

TFS Developer Update – September 2018

We may have a solution to the .trk not showing custom skins.

We will update if this will definitely be included.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

We may have a solution to the .trk not showing custom skins.

We will update if this will definitely be included.

Great stuff, let us know in a week's time?

Any possibility of being able to use custom skins on stationary aircraft as in IL-2 46?

1 hour ago, ilmavoimat said:

Any possibility of being able to use custom skins on stationary aircraft as in IL-2 46?

We are also working on that.

On 9/20/2018 at 8:11 AM, Ojisan_Mjoelner said:

So actually both a P-40B and C? Impressive 🙂

Mj

No, we will provide the P-40C/Tomahawk IIB and the P-40E/Kittyhawk IA.

The P-40B was an early version without pilot armour which did not see service in the Desert.

If, HYPOTHETICALLY, TF 5.0 is not a commercial success (I'd be extremely disappointed if that were to occur), then will VR be implemented into the game?

Edited by Novice-Flyer

No point in answering hypothetical questions.  😉

We expect TF 5.0 will be a success... if we didn't think people would enjoy playing it we wouldn't be spending so much of our time on its creation.  🕹️🛩️

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

We are also working on that.

No, we will provide the P-40C/Tomahawk IIB and the P-40E/Kittyhawk IA.

The P-40B was an early version without pilot armour which did not see service in the Desert.

Hey Buzzaw, 40C and E is excellent as well 🙂 Tomahawk IIA was indeed without pilot armour as well as no firewall behind the engine nor plumbing for an aux. tank and early self sealing tanks and other gun configuration, all the above making it lighter than the 40C. Which you probably already know.

Cristopher Shores mentions in his book "Dust clouds in the Middle East" that P-40B's/Tomahawk IIA's were used in the Middle East at least by an OTU, can't remember which one nor where and when. Those IIA's were later transferred to an operationel unit after being used at least 1 time by the OTU in combat.

Could have been interesting to have the IIA in the upcoming 5.0 with your guys excellent FM's

Cheers
Mj

@Buzzsaw

The Bf-110 hast still a top speed of only around 400/420Km/h.

Quote from Chuck Guide Il-2 Cliffs of Dover:

" It is interesting to notice that the top speed of the
Bf.110 modelled in-game is about 420-440 km/h.
This top speed is closer to the recorded top speed
of the earlier Jumo 210B-powered Bf.110s (which
were severely underpowered due to a shortage of
DB 600 engines). In reality, the DB 600-powered
Bf.110C variants could reach a top speed of 523
km/h. The flight models are currently being
revised by Team Fusion for the upcoming patch."

Question: Is there a patch for CoD planned before the release of TF 5.0 and will TF adress this issue?

Thx.

hmm i was always curious why 110 is kind of slow :P

love 110 tho, wish to see recon and night fighter with radar as well.

The 110 had it's speed corrected to be more in line with real-life in 4.5, it was much slower beforehand. With a 110C-4N I can attain 450km/h on the deck, rads closed up, and about 410 at 5-6km of altitude.

This is IAS though, I suspect Chuck's guide refers to TAS, in which case the speed is pretty much correct for its altitude.

6 hours ago, Semor76 said:

@Buzzsaw

The Bf-110 hast still a top speed of only around 400/420Km/h.

Quote from Chuck Guide Il-2 Cliffs of Dover:

" It is interesting to notice that the top speed of the
Bf.110 modelled in-game is about 420-440 km/h.
This top speed is closer to the recorded top speed
of the earlier Jumo 210B-powered Bf.110s (which
were severely underpowered due to a shortage of
DB 600 engines). In reality, the DB 600-powered
Bf.110C variants could reach a top speed of 523
km/h. The flight models are currently being
revised by Team Fusion for the upcoming patch."

Question: Is there a patch for CoD planned before the release of TF 5.0 and will TF adress this issue?

Thx.

See Kiwiflieger's answer.

The 110's have had their speeds corrected for CLIFFS OF DOVER - BLITZ.

400 kmh indicated airspeed at 6000 m is equivalent to 550+ kmh True Airspeed.

The fastest 110 at altitude is the C-4N.  The fastest 110 on the deck is the C-4B.

13 hours ago, Ojisan_Mjoelner said:

Hey Buzzaw, 40C and E is excellent as well 🙂 Tomahawk IIA was indeed without pilot armour as well as no firewall behind the engine nor plumbing for an aux. tank and early self sealing tanks and other gun configuration, all the above making it lighter than the 40C. Which you probably already know.

Cristopher Shores mentions in his book "Dust clouds in the Middle East" that P-40B's/Tomahawk IIA's were used in the Middle East at least by an OTU, can't remember which one nor where and when. Those IIA's were later transferred to an operationel unit after being used at least 1 time by the OTU in combat.

Could have been interesting to have the IIA in the upcoming 5.0 with your guys excellent FM's

Cheers
Mj

I realize there were IIA's in service with training units in the Delta, and those training units may have seen some combat versus Axis flights over the Delta but:

-  The Delta is not part of the TF 5.0 map

-  As far as I know, the P-40B/Tomahawk IIA's were not used in the front line Squadrons which you would see on the TF 5.0 map.  I believe some were based in Palestine.

-  P-40B's were upgraded to P-40C standards by the RAF during the course of the campaign... this was a standard process... the RAF had a policy by 1941 not to fly aircraft without self-sealing tanks or pilot armour in combat.

If you have further information, please feel free to post it.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:09 PM, Buzzsaw said:

We expect TF 5.0 will be a success... if we didn't think people would enjoy playing it we wouldn't be spending so much of our time on its creation.  🕹️🛩️

Rephrasing the question, is Virtual Reality being implemented into Cliffs of Dover dependent on the success of TF 5.0, or will VR being added regardless?

This is still a hypothetical question, and as such not really answerable.

We hope TF 5.0 is a success, and VR will be a major priority on any TF work going forward from the TF 5.0 release.

My last comment on this issue.

• Like 1

This is just my my opinion but I think some of the biggest selling points will be the Allied ground attack aircraft one of witch that looks like it will be a lot of fun is this particular Hurricane. I can just imagine what a swarm of these would do to a bunch of trucks.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CDRSEABEE said:

That angle of attack! I need to fly my 129 like that.😉

And then tank looks at you and you get hit with HE shell in face  :P

2 hours ago, InProgress said:

And then tank looks at you and you get hit with HE shell in face  :P

We are restricting AAA fire from AI to weapons which can traverse fast enough and which were designated AAA.

On the other hand if a player can elevate his main weapon and aim it, then he can take a shot.

On 9/22/2018 at 10:09 PM, Buzzsaw said:

Great news. The more positive communications with the community has also been noticed.

Thanks. 

Will we ever see clouds more in line with the BoX clouds? How much further can the engine be pushed in the looks department?

Hi there, little questions about German bombers and bombsight :

Will the auto-release mechanism be working with the kurssteuerung in "course" mode ?

Have you found the reason behind the super annoying aircraft bouncing in mode 22, and will this be corrected in 5.0 ?

Will altitude holding of mode 22 be improved so to stop loosing 1km altitude before stabilisation ?

Will the two scales of the gyroscopic compass and the kurssteuerung be tuned to be in line with each other (especially in the heinkel, being off the mark by 15° or so)

Little bonus one :

Will we finally get the ability to make a separate TrackIR profile for CloD instead of the current sharing of the IL2 1946 profile ?

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber

9 hours ago, 7./JG26_Smokejumper said:

Snip-

Will we ever see clouds more in line with the BoX clouds? 

I actually prefer the clouds as they are now,  I reckon they're realistic now IMHO. But thats me. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think if Cliffs clouds were just 3D volumetric with the current textures they would be fantastic. The cumulus are already pretty good as they are now.

Perfection would be a coded weather engine where weather fronts and pressure areas could be created in the FMB for missions, along with more cloud types - cirrus, stratus, nimbus and so forth - and precipitation too. I can dream :happy:

Mind you with Libya coming up, clouds and rain won't be making appearances that could be described as regular...

Any news on the Ai recoding and Radio Commands would be appreciated (stuff that's been done rather than hope to be done) please. 

14 hours ago, FurphyForum said:

I actually prefer the clouds as they are now,  I reckon they're realistic now IMHO. But thats me. 🤷‍♂️

Yes CloD clouds looks good, their variation is good too, their main problem is that they are visible only in a limited "bubble" around player, outside this "bubble" is always CAVU, why people ask for "clouds like in BoX", in what clouds extent to horizon.

Edited by Sokol1

As a high hours Cliffs player it is important to know if the graphics can be pushed further to keep the game up to date. It falls behind BoX and this will keep players away.

Once BoX fixed some issues I had with it I moved to the new platform.

One of the issues with Cliffs is the clouds hit to performance, the bubble and that they look like cottonballs. Combat in BoX clouds is much more dynamic and exciting. Can I expect the same sort of game play in Cliffs down the line?

2600 Cliffs hours and I've not once used clouds as cover like I use BoX clouds no matter how much everyone "likes" them.

• Upvote 1

Next question is navigation lights and flares. I have discovered that they are a key feature of formation flying and finding lost wingmen.

Can we expect to see this vital navigational aid at some point? I'd love to see this feature in Cliffs. 

Hello Smokejumper

Navigation lights are already part of the game... the issue is that the AI display them at inappropriate times.

We also have landing lights enabled for night flyings.... we are working on a comprehensive revision of the night graphics.

Flares are not yet part of the game... we may add them later.

Okay, so we are getting ready for the October update (hopefully). This will leave 2-months until Christmas. So if there is any hope of seeing this released before then, what stage of import, alpha, beta testing are the following at?

It still makes me wonder if there is any chance of a pre-Christmas release and if it doesn't make that time-frame it looks like it wont be out until after Bodenplatte is released because Jason wont want the two products to clash? With that in mind I thought I'd start a thread with a list of features for v5.00 Tobruk that are on the list and mark which ones have been see in updates.

Here is the list of flyable aircraft for TF 5.0... please note these are goals... not guarantees.

----

German

Bf108 Taifun Advanced Trainer - early modelling of cockpit and FM test with false cockpit

Bf109E-7 (DB601Aa) - No
Bf109E-7N (DB601N) - No
Bf109E-7NZ (DB601N with GM-1 Nitrous Oxide injection) - No
(and Tropical versions) - No

Me109F-1 with MG/FFM (DB601N) - No
Me109F-2 with MG151/15mm (DB601N) - No
Me109F-2 with MG151/20mm (DB601N) - No
Me109F-2 with MG151/20mm Tropical (DB601N) - No
Me109F-4 (DB601E 1.30ata) - No
Me109F-4 (DB601E 1.30ata) Tropical - No
Me109F-4 (DB601E 1.42ata) - Shown as Alpha in latest update August 26th (as I understand it)
Me109F-4 (DB601E 1.42ata) Tropical - No
Me109F-4/R1 Flugelgondelbewaffnung mit MG 151/20 (DB601E 1.42ata, underwing 20mm gunpods) - No
Me109F-4/R1 Flugelgondelbewaffnung mit MG 151/20 Tropical (DB601E 1.42ata, underwing 20mm gunpods) -No
(no we will not have the version with 15mm gunpods... only used on Russian Front)

Ju-88A-4 - No
Ju-88A-5 - No

Ju-88C-2 (possibly) - No

Heinkel He-111H-6 Torpedo bomber (possibly) - No

Italian

Fiat CR-42 - Yes but only with a false cockpit
Fiat CR-42 Fighter-Bomber - No

Macchi C-202 Series III (hopefully) - Yes but only as an external model
Macchi C-202 Series VIII (hopefully) - No

French

Dewoitine D.520 (Hispano 12Y45 engine)- Yes but only as a 3D render of the external model
Dewoitine D.520 (Hispano 12Y49 high altitude) - Yes but only as a 3D render of the cockpit with textures.

British

Gladiator II (with Tropical filter)- No

There is video footage of a Spitfire with Cannons in the September update but no indication of which of the following it is. So 'No' is the default until known which version is shown, although the text does say the Cannon Spitfire is imported.

Spitfire IIB (IIA with two 20mm cannon, four .303) - No unless the silhouette image shown here is a IIA with cannons?: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/38 ... ent=662275 

Spitfire VA (eight .303 +12 boost) - No
Spitfire VB (+12 boost) - No
Spitfire VB (+16 boost) - No
Spitfire VB (Merlin 46 High Altitude) - No
Spitfire VB Tropical (+16 boost) - No
Spitfire VB Tropical (Merlin 46 High Altitude) - No

Hurricane IIA (eight .303)- Screenshot of an early render
Hurricane IIB (twelve .303) - No
Hurricane IIB Fighter-Bomber - No
Hurricane IIC (four 20mm) - No
Hurricane IIC Light Fighter (two 2Omm) - No
Hurricane IID Tankbuster (possibly)- No
(plus Tropical versions of all) - No

Beaufighter Mk IF - Late (with Hercules XI) - No
Beaufighter Mk IC (with Hercules XI, bombs) - No
(and versions with Tropical filters) - No

Wellington IA - Cockpit renders of WiP, nothing in-game
Wellington IC (with waist gun positions) - Renders of WiP, nothing in-game
(and versions with Tropical filters)- No

Blenheim IV/IF with Tropical filters - No

American

P-40C (Tomahawk IIB)- Early model renders nothing since
P-40E (Kittyhawk IA) - Early model renders nothing since
(Will be early and late versions of both these aircraft... different boost levels.)

Martlet IIIB - Early model renders nothing since

-------

Tobruk Map - Early renders of old version of the map, also shown in-game, this has since been redone after TF managed to get the 1C map tool working, nothing since except a very dark silhouetted version at dusk in the August 26th update.

BoB Map - No news showing bug fixes apart from a few additions to the bug tracker

-------

Effects - Audio: 109 F4 audio of engine and maybe a few MG and cannon sounds, also MG of Wellingtons. Nothing else.

Effects - Visual: Many have been rewritten since Blitz release , so far no showcasing of them

-------

FM/DM - No news on new features or fixes

-------

Ai - No news since "working on it"

-------

All of the above needs Alpha stages, Beta stages, RC stages and Release, so if it is to make a pre-Christmas release all of the above needs to come together at-least by the beginning of November for any beta testing and fixes and that is two months away.

So TF, what stage are you at with the above? Looks like a huge amount to do, especially with Beta testing Ai, all the new aircraft and FM/DM, new effects audio and video, new map and effects (dust for example)...

Just wondering if a pre-Christmas release is a pipe dream when all of the above is taken into consideration?

As much as I admire TF and all they've done resurrecting the Cliffs dream I've never quite understood the whole "secret society" thing were by very little information is given out about progress and where the game actually is as far as development (not timelines). 

Look at BoX forums, each week they are buzzing with excited discussion and speculation of what we may or may not see from the DEV's. Any information they give out is met with (mainly) huge appreciation, thanks and praise for the DEV team and the game itself.

Even a few screen shots on a more regular basis and some snippets of development progress would go a long way to keeping the CoD fans interested.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, keeno said:

As much as I admire TF and all they've done resurrecting the Cliffs dream I've never quite understood the whole "secret society" thing were by very little information is given out about progress and where the game actually is as far as development (not timelines). 

Look at BoX forums, each week they are buzzing with excited discussion and speculation of what we may or may not see from the DEV's. Any information they give out is met with (mainly) huge appreciation, thanks and praise for the DEV team and the game itself.

Even a few screen shots on a more regular basis and some snippets of development progress would go a long way to keeping the CoD fans interested.

Cheers

Star citizen type open development road map not possible?

pre-Christmas release

Based on progress showed in latest updates, 3D renders... release 5.0 pre-Christimas (2018) will be just... another "CloD release". 

Let them release when ready, even at Christmas 2020.

Please see this thread for information on the current status of TF 5.0:

• Thanks 1

This gets posted on the BoX forums quite recently: Years from now, will Cliffs of Dover and BoX become one game?

10 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

This gets posted on the BoX forums quite recently: Years from now, will Cliffs of Dover and BoX become one game?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: no, because they use two entirely different game engines, and neither team is going to convert from one to the other, since it would involve far to much work.

Edited by AndyJWest

3 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Short answer: No.

Long answer: no, because they use two entirely different game engines, and neither team is going to convert from one to the other, since it would involve far to much work.

Do you mind if I copy and paste your answer into one of my questions for BoX because people are talking about this on it.

Just now, Novice-Flyer said:

Do you mind if I copy and paste your answer into one of my questions for BoX because people are talking about this on it.

I'd prefer you didn't. If I want to answer someone's question, I'll do it myself.

• Like 1