JtD

The motion blur effect

211 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like the motion blur effect as in the current alpha?

• I like it as it is.
    • I like the idea, but it needs tuning.
    • I don't like it.
    • I have no opinion.

I think a poll might be more useful feedback for the developers than lots of individual posts everywhere on the board.

Edited by JtD

Even if the effect can be disabled, An opinion feedback about the effect is usefull, IMO.

I hate that effect, and always deactivate it in all my game.

i hate motion blur and always desactivate it in all games ...however at last we just need the ability to disabling it in graphics settings and for so far for me it will be  ok ...those who like it can go for it ...others ....without ...that s all . So far i cannot answer the poll ...but voted i dont like it ...cause i hate motion blur  !

I would have prefer  :   "i really  hate motion blur but dont want to prevent those who like it to appreciate it so make it optionnal ?

Edited by 13Nrv

For goodness sake make the motion blur and cinematic camera shake two different options!

• Upvote 2

I'll vote this option since it's not available: I don't even notice it unless I force myself into seizure like consulvsions to cause TrackIr to scan that fast.

I can't notice it except the two seconds on startup when I look around and textures load.

And in case no one has noticed, most poll votes total out at around 200 people max. This is representative of the very few that actually post here, but more importantly the even fewer that take the polls - but unrepresentative of those who have purchased the game. Sample polling this is not, this is simply polling the most vocal - and the most vocal will always lean in the direction these "polls" are intended for. Virtually all of these polls are generated in response to something unwanted, and the most vocal will support removal their unwanted - whether warranted or not - but the polls only get less than 10% of those who own the title. So all of these polls are a joke. All of them.

Edited by FuriousMeow

i hate motion blur and always desactivate it in all games ...however at last we just need the ability to disabling it in graphics settings and for so far for me it will be  ok ...those who like it can go for it ...others ....without ...that s all . So far i cannot answer the poll ...but voted i dont like it ...cause i hate motion blur  !

I would have prefer  :   "i really  hate motion blur but dont want to prevent those who like it to appreciate it so make it optionnal ?

You're right, and if there was that choice in the poll, that is that one i choose. I used the word deactivate to mean that i'm not against an option avaliable in game which can turn on/off that effect. But you're right that my sentence need to be clarify.

I like it but I think inside cockpit it could be disabled. Difficult to follow the gauges of instruments when all is blurry. The outside view in low flying is stunning.

• Upvote 1

S!

Motion blur is one of the first "effects" I turn off in ALL of my games. This includes also DoF, HDR, Bloom, SSAO and similar and other post processing doodahs.

• Upvote 3

S!

Motion blur is one of the first "effects" I turn off in ALL of my games. This includes also DoF, HDR, Bloom, SSAO and similar and other post processing doodahs.

Same here.

Same here.

+1.

I like SSAO. I never liked post processing much, because they just "stylize" a frame after it was rendered and in many cases have no connection whatsoever with what's going on in the game.

Motion blur is the first to go for me. It is implemented wrong in most games anyway. I've seen companies use it as means to cover drop in performance. (I'm not talking about BOS here. My game runs much smoother without it).

Make it optional, without connecting it to other effects. Best way to do it.

As an option YES great.. Wanna make a movie , pictures etc.. perfect !  :)

could be important as a server side setting. Pilots who use the blur could be in disadvantage to others.

• Upvote 1

I was sceptical before trying it but I think, it could become a great effect after lots of tuning.

The blurred landscape looks very nice when buzzing low over treetops or through the streets of the city but the blur when moving the head - especially within the cockpit - is way overdone. That needs to be heavily reworked, gone or made barely noticeable imo.

Edited by I/JG27_Rollo
  • Upvote 1

And I think the propeller blades need to get blurred (when spinning slow).

Also it doesn't factor in that our eyes are actually able to focus a certain area before our nose points directly at it i.e. while the head is still moving.

This is a good effect and can be modified for pilot wounded purpose and not the red eye style.

Here a video to demonstrate a little bit what it is possible to do.. I made it around June 2009, so it is some years ago already it was in RoF Beta to fix the old red eye .

That was the idea.. When wounded not badly you can preserve forces not get too mushy but your focus change a lot.

I like the effect GOZR.

I wish they would program the pilot POV to behave more like a human neck and spine so when your plane hits and tumbles, like in the above video, the pilots view isn't rock steady.

I voted that " I don't like it". I would like to see it turned off by default and turned on as an option. Having the motion blur on/off in the external camera options isn't clear. The box should say "motion blur" on it as well as "cinematic camera". It also affects internal cockpit views so shouldn't be on the external camera dialogue.

I would also like to make the point that I think motion blur might be different for each user. For me, I am on probably one of the slowest machines from what I can tell of other peoples specs. I have a Core2 6700@2.66Ghz, 8gb RAM and just a GeForce GTS 250. I have to say that with my relatively slow system the motion blurring is way over the top.

I understand that user of quicker machines won't get as much blurring and that I'm under spec'ed for the game but I'm having plenty of fun playing at 1280x720 until some money comes along for a faster pc.   :) Maybe once I have a quicker machine I will try it again.

I personally disable it, but if some people like it, I have no objections. As long as it remains optional.

I kind of like it but it's way too much at the moment. Tone it down a  fair bit and it could look really nice :)

I think its awful and unrealistic, but as long as its an option client side to disable it, it matters not to me, and obviously some people like it, so each to there own.

I'm fine with motion blur being an option for others who like it, though I personally always turn it off.

I really miss the cinematic view, though, so will be very happy when the devs get around to separating toggling motion blur from cinematic effect.  I'll keep practicing patience until then.

Charlo

Even if the effect can be disabled, An opinion feedback about the effect is usefull, IMO.

Roger that! The idea of motion blur..., as it tries to simulate a level of blur when a perfectly healthy human moves his head (not when moving the eyes alone, cause there should normally be no blur at all) is highly exaggerated. From my point of view (i'm also a pilot who did enough crazy stuff in the air, including spins) about this feature, either the blur should be reduced or the rotation speed of the pilot's head in relation with the world outside must be way higher for the level of blur that we encounter in the sim right now! So not cancelling the idea is an option, no..., it's very good to simulate this for the human's eye, but for a much lower value!

Have a great day,

Mav!

Edited by MaverickF22

Here a video to demonstrate a little bit what it is possible to do.. I made it around June 2009, so it is some years ago already it was in RoF Beta to fix the old red eye .

Lol, my eyes hurt! We hope this kind of focus will be highly tested to be more appropriate and comparable to real life, if it were to be introduced in BoS as well!

Nice landing though!^

Edited by MaverickF22

Adds to sense of speed. Trees whizzing by looks very real. Normally deactivate, but for vehicle sim games, it is a must. But i don't want motion blur to kick in when i'm just looking around.

Edited by johncage

Motion blur would be nice feature when wounded. A healthy pilot woth motion blur is not realistic in my opinion.