Han

Developer Diary 202 - Discussion

The town Tool produced a great result but the block itself, in the test shot at least, is then placed on a generic surface, the fields disappearing under it and cutting off unnaturally with no boundary. Appreciate its early in the development but im really hoping that the final result has a little more handworking around the perimeter of towns so as to better fit them into the map rather than on top of it. One of the joys of the maps to date for me has been the way everything looks "as one". I really hope the scale of the project and the timescale of the roadmap allows for the same attention to detail.  

Hmm - looked at it again - forget the above - bloody good job -  As you were!!

Edited by BOO

1 hour ago, Finkeren said:

The Mk. IX is plenty good. Just not superior in every way, the way a Mk. XIV or a 25lbs Mk. IX would.

1 hour ago, -LaFrench-bexhausted said:

Not realistic though. All 2TAF Spitfires were running +25lbs by mid-Feb until May.

4 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Not realistic though. All 2TAF Spitfires were running +25lbs by mid-Feb until May.

I've written this before in another thread, but - Jeeze - I love this community. The Devs give us the juiciest bone in their DD thread (and the models look amazing but the news about map design is absolutely ASTONISHING AND COOL!!!!!.... )

But...  yet we're down to debating Merlin manifold pressures (I think) and how they might have differed over four months in 1944. (Probably I got that wrong but... my main point is probably valid...:::). Cool!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Realism is one thing, but the word used here was “redundant”.

Also: How much of the BoBP timeline goes beyond mid-February 1945?

17 minutes ago, No601_Swallow said:

I've written this before in another thread, but - Jeeze - I love this community. The Devs give us the juiciest bone in their DD thread (and the models look amazing but the news about map design is absolutely ASTONISHING AND COOL!!!!!.... )

But...  yet we're down to debating Merlin manifold pressures (I think) and how they might have differed over four months in 1944. (Probably I got that wrong but... my main point is probably valid...:::). Cool!

Seriously there's probably 20 threads dedicated to this, let's keep it out of the dev diary thread please.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Finkeren said:

Also: How much of the BoBP timeline goes beyond mid-February 1945?

1,5 months, till April 1, 1945 after last changes in the career timeline.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Hi yall!

I am not so much into flyin', timewise!

But you f....n' rock!!!!

Very much appreciated!

yours

v.Greiff

31 minutes ago, BlackSix said:

How come then selection of P-51D ended on D-25 model that showed up in west in spring 1945 ( april-may), would not be more normal to do D-10 or 15 that was used in many numbers from sep 44 to end, and just have modifications of D-20 and D-25 available to them?  is it because of all payloads for Ground attack that it offer compared to early ones? 

it would look better to have all default airplanes more inline with BoBp timeline atleast that way, this model only one jumps out out of 10

not that it realy mathers in the end its just strange to me that selection fall on so late model of that airplane to be default one

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Upvote 1

This is awesome, and totally stoked for graphic and flight dynamic (air compression) improvements!  With this change will the stiffening or response of controls at high speed and dives (lawn-darting due to near-mach cone)......

I can't imagine having to rework all the aircraft with new physics??!! Especially the ww1 birds Or is it even  that complicated?

Ah well keep up the good work, can't w!ait for a taste of the new things to come

Thanks for another great update.  I'd ask the big differences between the G14 and the K4 besides the cowling, but I can research that on my own.  The shots look fantastic and the town looks great.  Thank you again.

Edited by Beazil
Spelling and autocorrupt

Also wanted to add that you guys have some of the best 3d modelers I've ever seen in my 15+ years of gaming. I mean that dora cockpit is absolutely incredible. The freaking leather band around the top of the dash has the creases modeled for god sakes. It's literally insane. It's ruined every single other flight sim for me. I don't even think DCS does it better. You guys are the cream of the crop. Hope those guys see this, and I hope you guys realize the talent you have on hand. It's top notch.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn
  • Upvote 7

6 hours ago, Legioneod said:

I'm curious about this as well.

Also, will the P-47 get the K-14 or GGS as a mod? Or both preferably, in order to simulate the P-47 in British service as well.

Based on the throttle quadrant I'm guessing we wont be getting the Gyro sights for the P-47 but I suppose this could always be changed when switching modifications.

Nice work Devs, really like those cockpit shots.

EDIT: Looks like the D9 will indeed have the EZ42 based off of the cockpit shots. Nice.

They probably vision the P-47 as an attack aircraft only so I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a K-14. Also be prepared for 2300hp only, lol.

31 minutes ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

Also wanted to add that you guys have some of the best 3d modelers I've ever seen in my 15+ years of gaming. I mean that dora cockpit is absolutely incredible. The freaking leather band around the top of the dash has the creases modeled for god sakes. It's literally insane. It's ruined every single other flight sim for me. I don't even think DCS does it better. You guys are the cream of the crop. Hope those guys see this, and I hope you guys realize the talent you have on hand. It's top notch.

Completely agree. There is no other game/sim company that comes close to the effort they put into such a genre. Goes to show how passionate these guys really are. 

• Upvote 1

Awesome Dev Diary!

Love the K4, the Cockpits and the city map!

Would love it if we also got a BF109 G14 ASM modification, AFAIK there were some at the front during the BoBP timeline.

25+ psi boost for the MK IX would also be cool, if we go by timeline there should even be Mk XIV Spits there.

Furthermore, will the Kurfürst get Flettner tabs?

Edited by So_ein_Feuerball

1 hour ago, DSR_T-888 said:

They probably vision the P-47 as an attack aircraft only so I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a K-14. Also be prepared for 2300hp only, lol.

2300hp would only be around 56" iirc, this would be incorrect for the timeframe.

All P-47s were operating at 64" (around 2600hp iirc) during the time of Bodenplatte. The 8th AAF was operating at even higher ratings due to 150 fuel.

I doubt they will restrict the P-47 by only giving it 56", to restrict it so it is forced into one role is a mistake.

Just now, catchthefoxes said:

man, I just wish the devs would tell us the mods for it, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Yep. Can't wait to see all the loadouts we will get, the P-47 could carry quite a few types of ordnance.

425 rounds per gun.

ammo types (AP, API, API-T) unless this is already represented.

AN-M57 250 LB. (Genera Purpose)

AN-M58A1 500 LB. (Semi-Armor Piercing)

AN-M59 1000 LB. (Semi-Armor Piercing)

AN-M64 500 LB. (Genera Purpose)

AN-M65 1000 LB. (Genera Purpose)

3.5in M8 Rockets

HVAR Rockets

Napalm

Cluster of Fragmentation Bombs

etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Very nice update!

That K4 has some smooth curves, just how I like them!

I love that as well. 

2 hours ago, DSR_T-888 said:

wasn't a K-14

K-14 had a dedicated rocket aiming mode.

2 minutes ago, bucket_109 said:

DD. 194 said p51d15 now the DD. 202 says it's p51 d25. what happened?

Either it's a typo or we're now getting metal elevators and tail-warning radar.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bucket_109 said:

DD. 194 said p51d15 now the DD. 202 says it's p51 d25. what happened?

I guess it's a mistake in the DD 202, we need D-15 for the career

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

S!

Very nice models coming up, 3D artists really know their stuff right there :) Will also be interesting to see how the revised FM changes will affect planes overall. Just a question. If the game chokes in current maps in MP with rather scarse settlement density how will it be in Bodenplatte with a lot bigger density of buildings etc? You can not put much AI on the MP map or it ruins the game to a crawling stutter fest. Sorry for sounding negative, but the draw distance bubble will just stick out more with western maps. No sim has really been able to tackle this issue fully though.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Talon_ said:

Yes, but some before mid Feb.  Also, plenty of 150 Octane aircraft were over the European battle space represented by the BoP map that were launched from the South of England.  150 Octane was used over the European battle space represented by the BoP map from at least August 1944 to the end of the war; first from England and then from bases in Europe after the Normandy invasion. 

With the BoP map not including the Southern edges of England and the dates for the map period finishing before the end of the war, this could be considered a convenient and very neat avoidance of the historic use of 150 Octane at all, almost like it never existed.  

It is a shame that relevant parts of England are not on the map, since it is England that was the aircraft carrier, and more, off the mainland of Europe that facilitated the Normandy invasion and subsequent operations, including the period covered by the BoP.

One day in the future, it might be nice to get an update from the dev's that the map will be extended to include the Southern Edge of England, since this was where the invasion was launched and sustained from for future operations.  It seems that we have all the relevant countries represented in the region except England.

Anyway, as I said previously, nice update and things are looking good.  Very many thanks to the dev's for this simulation.  

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Like 1

On 9/7/2018 at 3:34 PM, Han said:

So, while it may appear we have only one Fw 190 A-8 in the sim, in fact, you'll have 4 different modifications. This is also true for many other aircraft - in one of the coming Dev Blog releases we'll compile the complete list of aircraft including the possible modifications.

From a marketing point of view, it would be clever to list all these aircraft sub-types on the store page, so people stop complaining that the BoX modules offer too few aircraft for their price.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

9 hours ago, BlackSix said:

I guess it's a mistake in the DD 202, we need D-15 for the career

Cool! Another question you might know about. It is about the Me109 G6, I think I saw some evidence floating around that those were still present and actively used at the western front end of 1944. Are there any plans to have this collectors plane usable in BoPl career and if so, will it get some 1944 related modifications like erla canopy and wood-structure tail unit and redesigned rudder?

1 hour ago, Juri_JS said:

From a marketing point of view, it would be clever to list all these aircraft sub-types on the store page, so people stop complaining that the BoX modules offer too few aircraft for their price.

Great idea!

Edited by sevenless

19 hours ago, BlackSix said:

Oh, so it goes until the liberation of Frankfurt I suppose? :cool:

1 hour ago, Juri_JS said:

The backlash from people "disappointed" because it's just one plane would not be worth it.

Thanks for your great work !

I know it is very very hard to make this map 100% realistic, but I hope the town can be as historical as possible. 

Wondering if we can get upgrade on the other maps.  Be nice to see a destructible Stalingrad!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 216th_Jordan said:

Oh, so it goes until the liberation of Frankfurt I suppose? :cool:

And closing of the Ruhr-Pocket at Lippstadt encirculating 300.000 soldiers. The foundation of the end in the west between Rhine, Ruhr and Weser at 17th April 1945.

This is all rather exciting isn't it?

It is too bad that no other jet saw substantial front-line service (Vampire, Yak-15, Mig-9 are all too late, P-80 is a bit late, Meteor is held back, He-162 is a bit late but is the best bet). The compressability will still be fun with the piston engined aircraft though! The additional FW-190 variants will be useful - especially if they do an Eastern 1945 theatre eventually. So many little improvements to things like terrain too!