LizLemon

[MOD] Draw distance increase (ships, stalingrad smoke)

@IckyATLAS - as 307_Tomcat says above, I host my own server and have allowed the use of mods to test. All other mods are active, but it seems that the view distance ones aren't taking effect.

3 hours ago, TP_Silk said:

@IckyATLAS - as 307_Tomcat says above, I host my own server and have allowed the use of mods to test. All other mods are active, but it seems that the view distance ones aren't taking effect.

Mods as Jason said are not supported (they are tolerated) and so the behavior could be "erratic" in certain conditions, mods could conflict one another etc.

It is up to us to test by trial and error and find the best configuration for what we want to have.

The positive thing with mods, is that besides  improving the game experience, and depending on their success,  they do challenge the devs to have the feature implemented in a later release, and thus be supported in the game.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

atleast they should test it now when we know thats posible to incress range abouw 9.5km, unlike they said before when asked about it

does this increses range infinitly for objects or it can be adjusted to certen distance higher then 9,5?

It makes them pretty much infinite.

The way the game is determining how far an object is drawn comes down to something in the 3d model file of the object, not everything is draw out to 9.5km. See this example;

1383785998_drawdistancecompare.thumb.png.9b62e95f94823975cf1e39bcb1c77a05.png

The camera position is constant in the pics above the only thing that has changed is the level of zoom. You can see that some objects, like the factory(purple), town block(green on the right), and trains(small yellow to the right of the red tower) are rendered out pretty far regardless of zoom. These objects are also rendered out farther than the trees and houses on the map. There are other objects in game like the barrage balloons that are rendered out to even farther distances and the blocks that make up Moscow have a draw distance that is probably 100+ km.

Other stuff, like yellowchurch (green to the left of the factory) has a much shorter draw distance that varies with zoom, and redchurch (yellow extreme left) has an even shorter draw distance. Kuban museum (red square) and kuban tower (red tower duh) likewise have different draw distances that change depending on the zoom level.

All of this is being controlled in some way by the LOD0 model of objects. There is a post on the rof forums where someone explains how lod/object distance works in that game and I think it is pretty much the same here, except unlike rof there isnt a simple file that can be altered to change draw distance. The game is doing something where it takes the width of the object and determines that it shouldnt be drawn if that object is smaller than X amount of pixels. This is why some stuff has much longer draw distances than other stuff. Its also unclear if its actually getting a distance from the 3d model, that is "the longest side of this model is 30m" itself or if there is some string with a value in the mgm file that says "this object has a 30m visibility sphere". I suspect its a value in the mgm file though because stuff like trains and vehicles renders out farther than the tree/buildings on the map even though the trains/trucks are pretty small.

• Thanks 1

lod_error1=2        //reference sphere size (when it will be less than 13 pixels on screen - LOD0 will switch to LOD1)
lod_error2=4        //reference sphere size (when it will be less than 13 pixels on screen - LOD1 will switch to LOD2)

Just an example of what I've found in the graphics/blocks,buildings. Has anyone tried editing these?

yellowchurch.mgm is larger than redchurch.mgm but have the same lod_error settings

lod_error1=3 
lod_error2=10 

That changes when the lod models switch but doesnt do anything for the distance at which objects fade out.

Ok, so I still had this mod enabled during ops last night and can report that it still enabled viewing of smoke emitters from long distance and that it is the ships that it doesn't seem to like in multiplayer mode. Very odd!