LizLemon

[MOD] Draw distance increase (ships, stalingrad smoke) UPDATED

Any update if this is working currently or not?  If not, will it be updated?

On 1/16/2019 at 4:57 PM, StaB/Tomio_VR*** said:

Why does this mod won't work online even if everyone got it with MODS ON enabled ?

It's possible that the server you're playing on does not have Mods On enabled. Just because the players have the Mod, it doesn't mean it's allowed on the online server.

I'll test it again later on a server I know has Mods On enabled.

Edited by TP_Silk
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TP_Silk said:

It's possible that the server you're playing on does not have Mods On enabled. Just because the players have the Mod, it doesn't mean it's allowed on the online server.

I am very aware of that.

11 hours ago, TP_Silk said:

I'll test it again later on a server I know has Mods On enabled.

Just tried on my own server with mods on . Looks like Ships appears smoothly but still at 10 km...

Edited by StaB/Tomio_VR***

Ships always did that for me on MP server. Draw distance is further for them in Single Player for some obscure reason - at least it was.

I confirm that smoke is still visible from long distance with Mods On though. I could see the large smoke plumes at 80km+ (I didn't place any further away than that for my test).

18 minutes ago, Ze-GunnyHighway said:

Where is the curvature of the earth?...

Not modelled afaik. No need at this time.

• Thanks 1

it seems that the latest update caused this mod to stop working

On 4/5/2019 at 6:43 PM, DragonDaddy said:

Thanks for the update. What’s new?

Compatibility with new patch.

But here is something new. Static objects, ie tanks trains and planes, draw distance increase. Please note that this may break things and I havent extensively tested it yet.....

1938846085_staticdrawdistance.thumb.png.4a62ced711cf239635e952d1c3e403d8.png

https://mega.nz/#!mDYA1QxC!NgwVUmiMDmR1SOGCVyUFRGl4g9R2VyYlieJIxIwD590

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

Thank you LizLemon for this new patch. What editor do you use to open the .mgm files ?

• Upvote 1

@LizLemon

can you please fix the "smoke fading in & out" bug again?

Thank you.

Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2019 at 7:43 AM, IckyATLAS said:

Thank you LizLemon for this new patch. What editor do you use to open the .mgm files ?

I can't answer for LizLemon,   but when I've needed to edit and change mgm files I use a basic hex editor like HxD or HexEditorNeo.

Basically they just display the raw code, a lot of which appears as unfathomable strings of seemingly random characters but with patience trial and error it's surprising how much you can start to make sense of in order to change things.

HH

Edited by HappyHaddock
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, HappyHaddock said:

I can't answer for LizLemon,   but when I've needed to edit and change mgm files I use a basic hex editor like HxD or HexEditorNeo.

Basically they just display the raw code, a lot of which appears as unfathomable strings of seemingly random characters but with patience trial and error it's surprising how much you can start to make sense of in order to change things.

HH

Thanks for the info. I am not sure I have the time and necessary knowledge to start decoding those files. Maybe if one day during long winter nights when wolves and wind are howling outside in the freezing cold, and all connections to the internet are gone, I will start digging into this :biggrin:

4 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

Maybe if one day during long winter nights when wolves and wind are howling outside in the freezing cold, and all connections to the internet are gone.

Sound like one of my favourite Black Metal Songs. ❤️

• Upvote 1

249891103_drawdistance.thumb.png.cfb76285bd9264111bb53cf0b9cc451f.png

22 hours ago, Semor76 said:

@LizLemon

can you please fix the "smoke fading in & out" bug again?

Thank you.

I don't see this issue.

Nice! Does this work with MODs off?

• Upvote 1

I really wish they would just make this an option in the game. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 9/8/2018 at 12:23 AM, Semor76 said:

This is my mod of the month!

Not only for increasing the visually distance...

@LizLemon are you aware of the fact that you eliminate the annoying "fading bug" with this mod?

I´ve done a few tests and the big black smoke objects are rock solid now. No more fade in or our fade out. The medium grey smoke objects come very close to this but still pops in if the player turns his sight away and back. But I didn´t test all the small objects like burning trucks,tanks etc.

you are genius man....

2018_9_7__22_38_43.jpg

I quoted myself from the first page.

And exactly THIS problem is back now. Thats why I ask for a fix.

Edited by Semor76
  • Upvote 5

Thank You very much  LizLemon for this Mod.

One question: Would it be possible to create a different download link please? Like Mission4Today , etc?

Posted (edited)

it dose not work, do i need to enable mods in the settings ?

Edit: yes it need to enable mods from the settings 

Edited by IV./JG51-G_Schwarz

Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2019 at 7:02 AM, Danziger said:

I really wish they would just make this an option in the game. 

Is there any reason why this wouldn't be allowed? Where can we suggest this?

Edit: I'm talking about the smoke rendering in particular,  I can see why ships and objects would be a problem. 

Edited by hnbdgr

Dev blog #227

Improved visibility distance of planes and ships. The main difficulty in the development of this feature was making the dynamic objects show at great distances without a steady stream of data reporting their position and orientation. Another important thing is to model the lighting of the airplane even at long range - we discarded the idea of having just black dots at these distances, where the visibility of an object is determined by the position of the sun, brightness and hue of the sky, haze, etc. All this is impossible to model having only a black dot. The distant planes flying at high altitudes will have contrails and ships will have visible wakes. It is also important to have more or less equal terms for owners of different monitors. Having completed all these tasks, we'll increase the maximum visibility distance for planes and ships from 10 to 100 km and the resulting visibility distance will realistically correspond to the lighting and weather conditions.

So, would I be correct in stating that this mod is now redundant as of Dev blog #227 in that the devs have implemented their own version of LizLemon's mod?

For ships sure, but I'm not sure if they have done anything about the static object or smoke draw distance.

Thx Liz, was kinda hoping that you would reply to my query. :salute:

4 hours ago, FurphyForum said:

So, would I be correct in stating that this mod is now redundant as of Dev blog #227 in that the devs have implemented their own version of LizLemon's mod?

IIRC, the devs were talking about plans for future updates, not something implemented already, but I could be wrong -- have to go back and re-read the DD again to be sure.

• Thanks 1

Is the fix for the smoke columns fading in and out still working?

On 7/29/2019 at 5:37 AM, TG-55Panthercules said:
On 7/29/2019 at 12:42 AM, FurphyForum said:

IIRC, the devs were talking about plans for future updates, not something implemented already, but I could be wrong -- have to go back and re-read the DD again to be sure.

Yes Panthercules, you are right. It was stated in the Dev Diaries, not in the Update Discussion thread. So this is something they are working on, to implement it as soon as they are ready with it, like the pilot physiology thing.

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2019 at 9:07 AM, Semor76 said:

I quoted myself from the first page.

And exactly THIS problem is back now. Thats why I ask for a fix.

Any updates for this mod?

• Upvote 1

On 7/31/2019 at 9:14 AM, Danziger said:

Is the fix for the smoke columns fading in and out still working?

Just played, seems to be not the case.

Folks, be aware that the mod is not compatible with the new enhanced visibility feature in BoX.

Disable it to prevent CtD´s.

• Upvote 1

The emitters part of the mod (smoke) still seems to be working ok.

On 9/8/2018 at 12:23 AM, Semor76 said:

This is my mod of the month!

Not only for increasing the visually distance...

@LizLemon are you aware of the fact that you eliminate the annoying "fading bug" with this mod?

I´ve done a few tests and the big black smoke objects are rock solid now. No more fade in or our fade out. The medium grey smoke objects come very close to this but still pops in if the player turns his sight away and back. But I didn´t test all the small objects like burning trucks,tanks etc.

you are genius man....

2018_9_7__22_38_43.jpg

I´m pretty sure I´m the most annoying person in this thread. But please @LizLemon can you have a look at this "fading bug" again please? It´s simply not understandable that this gets overlooked by the devs. with ervery new patch. So it´s up to the modders.

greets

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, LizLemon said:

As I've already said, I do not encounter it.

Fascinating. Would you be so kind and send us a copy of your current Il-2 installation please?  Because we must play with different game versions till now. 😁

• Upvote 1

This MOD seems to work just fine for me, no fading in and out.

On 10/7/2019 at 6:08 AM, keeno said:

This MOD seems to work just fine for me, no fading in and out.

With which part of the mod did you work? There are 3 parts on the first page

Tomcat,

I think all work, all i know is that the smoke doesn't fade in and out and can be seen from a distance, sorry I couldn't be more help.

Cheers