LizLemon

[MOD] Draw distance increase (ships, stalingrad smoke) UPDATED

@IckyATLAS - as 307_Tomcat says above, I host my own server and have allowed the use of mods to test. All other mods are active, but it seems that the view distance ones aren't taking effect.

3 hours ago, TP_Silk said:

@IckyATLAS - as 307_Tomcat says above, I host my own server and have allowed the use of mods to test. All other mods are active, but it seems that the view distance ones aren't taking effect.

Mods as Jason said are not supported (they are tolerated) and so the behavior could be "erratic" in certain conditions, mods could conflict one another etc.

It is up to us to test by trial and error and find the best configuration for what we want to have.

The positive thing with mods, is that besides  improving the game experience, and depending on their success,  they do challenge the devs to have the feature implemented in a later release, and thus be supported in the game.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

atleast they should test it now when we know thats posible to incress range abouw 9.5km, unlike they said before when asked about it

does this increses range infinitly for objects or it can be adjusted to certen distance higher then 9,5?

It makes them pretty much infinite.

The way the game is determining how far an object is drawn comes down to something in the 3d model file of the object, not everything is draw out to 9.5km. See this example;

1383785998_drawdistancecompare.thumb.png.9b62e95f94823975cf1e39bcb1c77a05.png

The camera position is constant in the pics above the only thing that has changed is the level of zoom. You can see that some objects, like the factory(purple), town block(green on the right), and trains(small yellow to the right of the red tower) are rendered out pretty far regardless of zoom. These objects are also rendered out farther than the trees and houses on the map. There are other objects in game like the barrage balloons that are rendered out to even farther distances and the blocks that make up Moscow have a draw distance that is probably 100+ km.

Other stuff, like yellowchurch (green to the left of the factory) has a much shorter draw distance that varies with zoom, and redchurch (yellow extreme left) has an even shorter draw distance. Kuban museum (red square) and kuban tower (red tower duh) likewise have different draw distances that change depending on the zoom level.

All of this is being controlled in some way by the LOD0 model of objects. There is a post on the rof forums where someone explains how lod/object distance works in that game and I think it is pretty much the same here, except unlike rof there isnt a simple file that can be altered to change draw distance. The game is doing something where it takes the width of the object and determines that it shouldnt be drawn if that object is smaller than X amount of pixels. This is why some stuff has much longer draw distances than other stuff. Its also unclear if its actually getting a distance from the 3d model, that is "the longest side of this model is 30m" itself or if there is some string with a value in the mgm file that says "this object has a 30m visibility sphere". I suspect its a value in the mgm file though because stuff like trains and vehicles renders out farther than the tree/buildings on the map even though the trains/trucks are pretty small.

• Thanks 2

lod_error1=2        //reference sphere size (when it will be less than 13 pixels on screen - LOD0 will switch to LOD1)
lod_error2=4        //reference sphere size (when it will be less than 13 pixels on screen - LOD1 will switch to LOD2)

Just an example of what I've found in the graphics/blocks,buildings. Has anyone tried editing these?

yellowchurch.mgm is larger than redchurch.mgm but have the same lod_error settings

lod_error1=3 
lod_error2=10 

That changes when the lod models switch but doesnt do anything for the distance at which objects fade out.

Ok, so I still had this mod enabled during ops last night and can report that it still enabled viewing of smoke emitters from long distance and that it is the ships that it doesn't seem to like in multiplayer mode. Very odd!

Been trying this in Career - very helpful for navigation to have the the fires on the front show up from a good distance.  Thank you!

Wow this is great and if it does not affect fps in any bigger way, why distance for at least ships is not official? This mod makes flying attackers and bombers way more fun :)

Saluté @LizLemon

Huston,we have a problem, your mod brings the sim to crash at start with the current game version. (and I can´t fly without it... 😉 )

I can confirm the systematic crash on mission launch after the last update.

10 minutes ago, FoxbatRU said:

I turned off this mod, then turned it back on. Everything is working.

ROFL..I swear I did the same this evening and it didn´t work. Now its ok.

On 9/6/2018 at 10:40 PM, LizLemon said:

Ships draw distance is pretty much infinite. FPS impact of about 2-4fps on a laptop with intel integrated graphics.

934470015_shipsdd.png.157e0a19b4734c503b0eaa8139715b01.png

The large smoke from Stalingrad has also been increased. FPS hit of about 1 also on intel hd 4000.

473037198_smokedd.png.6fd430a096c22b3217facc41cafb57d3.png

INSTALL

Simply drag the "data" folder in the archive into the root folder of your bos installation, ie "xxxx\steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\"

draw distance.zip

EDIT

Added "draw distance emitters" which makes the range of all map emitter smokes near infinite. Install in the same way as above.

draw distance emitters.zip

Hi,

does draw_distance_emitters include everything which is present in draw_distance or am I supposed to install both?

Very nice, indeed. No noticeable loss of FPS, but induces stutter, specially when using TrackIR and looking around. 
GTX 1080 running on an 144Hz monitor, 80% GPU usage ~ spikes to 100% when looking around with this mod, hence the stutters. Maybe putting visibility of ships and smoke to something like 40Km instead of infinite?

EDIT: apparently, the stutter is triggered as soon as you use zoom in/out with trackir enabled. Before, it is way more smooth (although not completely stutter free).

Edited by jokerBR

On 9/30/2018 at 6:48 PM, jokerBR said:

Very nice, indeed. No noticeable loss of FPS, but induces stutter, specially when using TrackIR and looking around. 
GTX 1080 running on an 144Hz monitor, 80% GPU usage ~ spikes to 100% when looking around with this mod, hence the stutters. Maybe putting visibility of ships and smoke to something like 40Km instead of infinite?

EDIT: apparently, the stutter is triggered as soon as you use zoom in/out with trackir enabled. Before, it is way more smooth (although not completely stutter free).

I've found that the draw distance mod is fine, but that the draw distance emitters mod causes me tearing for some reason.

Love the mod though, thanks LizLemon

Edited by DD_fruitbat

23 hours ago, 5./JG11_Rain said:

Can we connect online with this?

Not unless its a mods on server.

Saluté

One of the last patches broke this mod. The increased draw distance is still working, but the "fade in & out bug" with all smoke objects is back.

Pls. fix it 😉

7 hours ago, Semor76 said:

Saluté

One of the last patches broke this mod. The increased draw distance is still working, but the "fade in & out bug" with all smoke objects is back.

Pls. fix it 😉

I'm not seeing this. The big stalingrad smokes just have a slight throbbing on my end. What setting do you have effects at in-game?

Here are my ingame settings. They didn´t have changed since february.

Anyone else with the same problem?

xtM4YPr.png

Don't know, I'm playing these parts of the series not so long. But the smoke fades back in when I had turned my head/view away. It seems not smoking continuously only when you look at the emitter it begins to smoke (again).

Sorry for my English.

On 9/7/2018 at 5:23 PM, Semor76 said:

This is my mod of the month!

Not only for increasing the visually distance...

@LizLemon are you aware of the fact that you eliminate the annoying "fading bug" with this mod?

I´ve done a few tests and the big black smoke objects are rock solid now. No more fade in or our fade out. The medium grey smoke objects come very close to this but still pops in if the player turns his sight away and back. But I didn´t test all the small objects like burning trucks,tanks etc.

you are genius man....

2018_9_7__22_38_43.jpg

You just made my day.  Today was a good day. 

Short report:

The big & medium black smoke objects last for around 15 sec. then the fade out begins. The smoke disappears completely for ca. 5-8 sec. untill the fade in begins again.

Hope this helps and you can fix it. This is by far the best mod for the IL-2 GB series.

P.s. I still dont understand why the dev.team ignore this bug so hard. It´s really a shame.

• Upvote 1

Does this mod work for increasing the draw distance of static blocks, e.g. static block tanks and buildings, to overcome this draw distance issue?

7 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I'm seeing the on/off effect with the smoke too after the last game update.

You just didn't notice before (it depends on the visual angle of the smoke), because the smoke on/off effects is here from the beginning of the game, and would be there until they change the way it works in the editor. It's something i want they change, and i asked to the dev. There are no mod which can change that. 

No.  The mod previously enabled the smoke to stay on.  You are mistaken.

Posted (edited)

No it can't. It's a hard coding, and any mission builder would tell you that no mod can fix it (except if you modify the coding of the smoke object). As i said, depending of the visual angle do that it's more or less visible. It's something that every mission builder suffer and can't do nothing, because it's a hard coding in the smoke element.

The smoke stop, because there are not only one smoke, and because there are programmed to stop after a few seconds. There are 2 smokes at the same location. A smoke works for a few seconds and stop. The trick is to start the first one, and when it's over to start the second one. And when the second stops, you start again the first one. So, sometimes, you think it works well, but if someone look at the smoke with a different visual angle, he'll see the stop

Edited by Habu

5 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Same here. 

22 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Same here.

5 hours ago, bzc3lk said:

Same here.

Yup 😀

@Habu describes the animation fade-in and fade-out effects, which are based on time (how long the animation has been running). There is another fade-in and fade-out effect that is based on distance, which I guess is what @LizLemon's mod affects.

Maybe the time was synced better before because I spent a lot of time flying around Stalingrad admiring the rock solid smoke columns after installing this mod. Something changed recently and it fades in and out again.

3 hours ago, coconut said:

@Habu describes the animation fade-in and fade-out effects, which are based on time (how long the animation has been running). There is another fade-in and fade-out effect that is based on distance, which I guess is what @LizLemon's mod affects.

Ok, i didn't know there are 2 fade in fade out effects.

Why does this mod won't work online even if everyone got it with MODS ON enabled ?

Edited by StaB/Tomio_VR***