Han

Developer Diary 201 - Discussion

Thank you -DED- online squadron for sharing, and for this fantastic educational guide :good:

For me, no idea what was involved with the online campaign structure. After reading today's DD, it's obvious there's a lot of hard work and dedication involved, to say the least.

Good to see the community's participation with diverse talents.

:salute:

• Upvote 1

Very good.  I wonder if similar installments can be done later.  Such as information on things like effects, textures and sounds.  Stuff that can assist mod creators in making additional content for the game.  

some sort of joke Dev Diary or blog?

Lets list a whole lot of things nobody needs and not even mention fixing the game or why its taking so long.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

a whole lot of things nobody needs

Just because it exceeds your intellectual capacity doesn't mean that nobody needs it.

Dev Diary 201 is great, among the best that have ever been.

:drinks:

Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 13

38 minutes ago, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

Lets list a whole lot of things nobody needs and not even mention fixing the game or why its taking so long.

Just because you dont need it does not mean everyone doesn't need it. I will certainly be looking into this as an option once I've had some other issues resolved by dev's. Not everyone plays single player only 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

4 hours ago, Boomerang said:

Thank you -DED- online squadron for sharing, and for this fantastic educational guide :good:

For me, no idea what was involved with the online campaign structure. After reading today's DD, it's obvious there's a lot of hard work and dedication involved, to say the least.

Good to see the community's participation with diverse talents.

:salute:

Well said sir.

31 minutes ago, DeadMeat0383 said:

Not everyone plays single player only 

Note that he's a squad member, which makes his statement even less reasonable.

Mike

Great DD, thanks! Though I am mainly SP guy I really appreciate DD about improving the gameplay. Visual candy DD's are nice but improving gameplay (SP or MP) is what we all need first of all. Hoping for some news about the development and improvement of the AI in some of the next DD's 😉

Edited by Tapi

Thanks! Good to show here and there it's much more to this sim than nice 3D pictures we all love.

Anyone who remembers Hyperlobby and the online wars like Bellum, SEOW and CLOD's Storm of War, will know that having online campaigns is massive for this sim. I've found everything can flow from a campaign, Squadrons are built, new pilots join, training is planned, medals won and stories remembered - its what we're crying out for.

Edited by EAF19_Swoop
  • Upvote 5

4 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Just because it exceeds your intellectual capacity doesn't mean that nobody needs it.

Mike

The info is good and apreciated they share it but the DD on my opinion is not place to that kind of info. DD should give the news about what team is doind not just a post to share info that others made. 

That is why is called Dev Diary and nor Usefull information Diary

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Mike

Problem is not about intellectual capacity. A lot of us are enjoying IL-2 but does not look to exceed a "hobby" helping us to forget "life" troubles.

I thank vey much devs for their work and this fantastic game but does not intend to spend hours learning complicated systems.

cheers

😉

All fine and granted, and I don't think anyone expected everybody to rush and ask for the NDA to get hands on the tools mentioned in DD 201.

Nevertheless, the fact that this doesn't suit everyone doesn't justify statements like...

6 hours ago, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

a whole lot of things nobody needs

...which completely disparage the great efforts that went into such tools which, in the end, will be for the benefit of many online players, even if they don't use the tools themselves directly.

:drink2:

Mike

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, E69_geramos109 said:

The info is good and apreciated they share it but the DD on my opinion is not place to that kind of info. DD should give the news about what team is doind not just a post to share info that others made. 

It had to be posted somewhere. Last week's DD contained no hard and fast news, just a couple of pics. It looks to me that the dev team have no definite progress update to give us at the moment, so why not use the space to show something else that's new? Splitting hairs over what should or shouldn't go into a DD shows just how spoilt we've been in the past. Just let it go -  and wait for next week's! :biggrin:

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, E69_geramos109 said:

Maybe the post implies that MP systems are currently being given some focus ? It has certainly given me a new appreciation for the hard work that the server admins do for our MP entertainment.

Particularly the dynamic campaigns that continue on from one mission to the next.

I just want to give a shout out to @LLv34_Temuri @=LG=Kathon @coconut and the DED guys for some of the most entertaining on going campaigns I've had the privilege to play on.

all the other MP admins deserve a huge shout out too many to mention them all, but I have recently been enjoying the knights of the air server provided by the HRAF guys.

Thank you all.

Edited by =FEW=Herne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, EAF19_Swoop said:

Anyone who remembers Hyperlobby and the online wars like Bellum, SEOW and CLOD's Storm of War, will know that having online campaigns is massive for this sim. I've found everything can flow from a campaign, Squadrons are built, new pilots join, training is planned, medals won and stories remembered - its what we're crying out for.

Very true. The news are great. Back then however, HL provided squad - squad comms and so matches were coordinated. Besides the template made by DED squadron, I can`t imagine it working as anything else than a server with other servers on the ingame list.

If the campaign mission is not generated and running already, how will I know that one is coming up?Should I just pick DED coop server and fly whatever chocolate I get?

And most importantly, does DED have online campaign website for front map, squad names, stats etc.?

19 hours ago, Psyrion said:

Does this mean they will run the Random Expert server again?

RandomExpert was done by someone from the 72AG, and afaik he doensn't have the time anymore to take care of it. don't think that this post about the DED Dynamic Campaign Mechanics will change anything about that.

Edited by [I./JG62]Knipser

8 hours ago, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

Mate, if you're not interested then maybe don't clog up the thread with your pearls of wisdom.:crazy:

This is a massive step-forward for MP, since now scripted campaigns and sort-of semi-autogenerated campaigns can be easily made for MP. Once you've got it set up the way you want (with the mission content/groups/etc that you want), it'll create MP missions effortlessly. 

There'll be work in setting it up right, but once it's all in place, then it'll do all the work for you. Could be a game-changer.

[Edit: That's if I've understood it right, which... erm... :scratch_one-s_head:

Edited by No601_Swallow
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 5

if we dont have those tools (without singing anything and bind to do something or host something) to mess with, its hard to know if this will be usefull at some point. but thnx anyway :) nice info.

5 hours ago, EAF19_Swoop said:

100% agree this is the best news , the only down side is the time it will take tomorrow is not soon enough. Hail Hyperlobby and online wars.   

• Upvote 1

question to developers:

I just bought this sim 5 days ago , and here is my question , how come there is no comms key ? 100% similar to IL2 or maybe improved since its now 16 years ago . WE cannot communicate , instruct or order  wing man or wings , the order section of the settings is there for eye candy it does nothing . The technology is available , why not include it in a patch ,  its a bare essential necessity .

Edited by dog1

9 hours ago, EAF19_Swoop said:

Lobby with chat was mentioned 17.11.2017 to be part in "big picture". Since Hyperlobby is out of the question I´m beginning to worry are co-ops to be totally forgotten and option for co-operative online wars with them. If Jason is reading, I ( and probably many oldtimers ) would really appreciate your thoughts on this...

Edited by LeLv30_Redwing
  • Upvote 1

Wow, that was a bit overwhelming.  I am encouraged though.  I think mp campaigns would be an awesome addition to this sim.  Hope it gets ironed out and becomes a thing.

7 hours ago, E69_geramos109 said:

The DD is whatever the hell we want it to be. Period.

Jason

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10
  • Upvote 20

25 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

Yes we just saw that. Thanks. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, dog1 said:

question to developers:

I just bought this sim 5 days ago , and here is my question , how come there is no comms key ? 100% similar to IL2 or maybe improved since its now 16 years ago . WE cannot communicate , instruct or order  wing man or wings , the order section of the settings is there for eye candy it does nothing . The technology is available , why not include it in a patch ,  its a bare essential necessity .

You can communicate - if you are the flight leader. The orders section keys do work: you can tell your flight what formation you want, return to base, attack ground targets and so on.  Look in settings/key bindings/orders for the hotkeys, or use the command menu "~" in the HUD.

[edited]

2. This forum is provided by 1C-777 Ltd. as a courtesy and its usage is a privilege and 1C-777 Ltd. reserves the right to ban any member temporarily or permanently for any reason at any time. Any penalties listed below for violations of the rules are guidelines only and forum administration may take additional action if they feel it is warranted. Use of the forum is not connected to usage of the game and access to this forum is not guaranteed to users as a consequence of purchasing the game.

7. Comments containing profanity, personal insults, accusations of cheating, excessive rudeness, vulgarity, drug propaganda, political and religious discussion and propaganda, all manifestations of Nazism and racist statements, calls to overthrow governments by force, inciting ethnic hatred, humiliation of persons of a particular gender, sexual orientation or religion are not allowed and will result in a ban.

23. The forum rules embody the will of 1C-777 Ltd., but may be enforced at the discretion of the moderators or other forum administrators and punishment may be softer or more serious than listed in the forum rules.

• Upvote 4

The DED team worked hard to give players something fun and interesting. Please respect their hard work and give them encouragement instead of insults. Same goes to anyone else who works hard to support our product such as Pat Wilson and many others. This attitude that if we do not show pics of new aircraft every week is somehow a downer is very off putting for anyone who wants to help you have a better simming experience. We enjoy highlighting community members and teams who go the extra mile for you. Be nice or don't be here or post in such threads.

Jason

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 19

1 hour ago, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

That is well said @Jason!

That is what I love with the DD. I want to hear what the dev have to share with us so there is a connection between Devs and the community!

Thank you for this DD!

Edited by TG1_Nil
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Vortice said:

Will this make my aeroplane go faster?

Of course it will. (read the fine print)

grin.png

Dear Jason, please don't focus on the one negative comment when the rest of us, like you i'm sure, are so hopefully of more online campaigns. I'd rather hear more of your thought on your wish list for online campaign. (I was an old 777 member for a short while back in the day, pre 2002, if it was the same 777 US squad, the hay day of simming, that you're bringing on back)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, EAF19_Swoop said:

Dear Jason, please don't focus on the one negative comment when the rest of us, like you i'm sure, are so hopefully of more online campaigns. I'd rather hear more of your thought on your wish list for online campaign. (I was an old 777 member for a short while back in the day, pre 2002, if it was the same 777 US squad, the hay day of simming, that you're bringing on back)

Swoop,

DED is a Russian team so my interaction with them is minimal. Han and the boys handle those communications so I don't have much insight at the moment as to what will come out of this, but I am always for community involvement in MP. I'm going to be focused on helping Pat Wilson realize his idea for a COOP Campaign system for PWCG which he is beginning to work on with my encouragement and input. Between DED's work and Pat's work and other's there should be some more interesting MP options out there in the coming months.

We're well aware users want a chat lobby etc. In time we will work to have that, but we have other things to get to first. I only have so many people and so big a budget. The same old story as usual. But as is obvious over time we keep adding new things.

Thanks for checking in Swoop. :salute:

Jason

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 5

Noone is blaming comunity contributors like DED team. We apreciate the effort they make for free as a lot more people is doing without getting payed. People who make skins, campaigns, gives information, test and report bugs etc. 

Edited by E69_geramos109