InProgress

Realism of zoom

47 minutes ago, peregrine7 said:

Let's make a version of the pixel dot that seems fair to all monitor users.

You can go over to DCS and read through the hundreds of posts on how this doesn’t work. It’s already been tried and abandoned. 

What we have now in IL-2 GB works very well. Please don’t drag this game through that mess. 

Edited by SharpeXB

Good morning! Maybe I should have been clearer and written longer. Or just stopped when I noticed what was on. One is perfectly free to disagree with my thoughts, but I think "I dont even read what u type but git gud m8 it wont change" is just rude.

I do agree that the current system is unlikely to change and that extensive use of zoom is common to all flight sims. But whether something results in realistic ability to spot and track targets(and what the heck is that anyway, its very subjective) that is paramount in ww2 air combat and how it plays out in a combat flight simulation is a slightly different matter. I'm mostly fine with things as they currently are, as judging by how easy it is to surprise others, it must be equally difficult or worse to most others. Dots are just an idea I'd like to see tried again, and there must be ways to not overdo them like in 1946 where they're too clear especially against ground and drawn too far(I said this in my first post). I cant comment about DCS' attempts since I have almost zero experience in that game.

peregrine7 had some thoughts but I'm sure it would take hundreds of hours of trial and error to make it fair and work across different screens, graphics cards and settings, if its possible at all

Slightly related to zoom, its often possible to see larger planes like Ju 88 right to the edge of the draw distance of 9,5 km even when zoomed almost fully out, especially if they smoke or leak something. And then they just disappear. Naturally we also dont see explosions or tracers further than that. Extending the draw distance even if only by a bit would help. Devs, having heard about this a thousand times already, are aware of that and I expect them to increase plane draw range in the future. High altitude combat and really need scontrails to be visible much further away... and ships too.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

Dots are just an idea I'd like to see tried again, and there must be ways to not overdo them like in 1946 where they're too clear especially against ground and drawn too far(I said this in my first post). I cant comment about DCS' attempts since I have almost zero experience in that game.

Thanks, yeah that's the crux of it right there. It'd be nice to see something trialed.

peregrine7 had some thoughts but I'm sure it would take hundreds of hours of trial and error to make it fair and work across different screens, graphics cards and settings, if its possible at all 

I actually did follow the spotting thread for DCS, hopefully my method skips most of those testing hours. :P
Because it is based on opacity it should be fairish, the only thing to tweak would be the constant for opacity and the final size of the dot. Fairly quick to test. The main issue is whether or not it is possible for the small IL2 dev team to even get it working (or if it is even possible in engine).

Slightly related to zoom, its often possible to see larger planes like Ju 88 right to the edge of the draw distance of 9,5 km even when zoomed almost fully out, especially if they smoke or leak something. And then they just disappear. Naturally we also dont see explosions or tracers further than that. Extending the draw distance even if only by a bit would help. Devs, having heard about this a thousand times already, are aware of that and I expect them to increase plane draw range in the future. High altitude combat and really need scontrails to be visible much further away... and ships too. 

BoBP high altitude fights with planes and contrails popping in at 9.5km, or Pacific Theater where ships render in at 9.5km. I could not agree with you more.

• Upvote 2

Hello everyone!

I do not consider Wrong the use of the zoom because all of us are not the owner of a screen with the same size, same  definition characteristics, the same screen / eyes distance and above all the same Perceptions in virtual realities especially in 2D .
In my little sim world at the moment I'm on a 27" 16: 9 1080HD monitor at an average 50cm distance, a  DIY Clip with Opentrack and  I've reached a good compromise, setting my view point mixing with zoom and pilot's head position, ensuring that the gunsight glass & recticle mimic their real size ('bout 6 <> 10 cm.is the glass size, depend which one) on the screen at the moment I move my head right+forward to aim (I prefer to fly German Planes but dislike the std. game out of centre head position) and tide the whole down to the NumPad 5+joy button and so  for every plane I used to fly.
So I use the "Zoom" only for searcing purposes but resetting the view at the "shoot" or "fight" moment.
Last,to find out a resonable "sense of reality" of the virtual world viewed outside the virtual cockpit, I've flow  some hi- speed & very lo ground attack  saving the first Zoom value in which my perceptions  allow me pass over the trees and/or terrains with no catastrophic contact 😭.

I apologize for this long (and probably not easy to undestand, I'm not english) post, but it is another point of view  and I hope someone try this experience and report his criticism.

...remeber this is only a Sim, a good Sim, but no the Real World

and....

Good Luck!