InProgress

Realism of zoom

1 hour ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

It most definitely is a game problem when planes flicker between 1-3 pixels and 0 pixels when they're clearly visible.

Track? Screenshot?

maybe send a bug report?

But I don’t ever see this happen. 

All the complaints about “disappearing planes” in these sims seem suspicious. Does stuff seriously vanish right there on your screen or are you just losing track of it? Happens to me all the time but it’s me, not the game. 

bs

It gets old... these “I can’t see anything” threads. 

8 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Track? Screenshot?

maybe send a bug report?

But I don’t ever see this happen. 

All the complaints about “disappearing planes” in these sims seem suspicious. Does stuff seriously vanish right there on your screen or are you just losing track of it? Happens to me all the time but it’s me, not the game. 

It gets old... these “I can’t see anything” threads. 

I just landed in taw, heres two screenshots. Theres 3 109s visible, they're returning to base. They're about 3 km out or so. They pop partially and even fully invisible and back to visible in quick succession as they move across my view, and seeing this phenomenon again I took many screenshots and heres a pair where one of the 109s is invisible. Its impossible to keep an eye on a single-pixel plane that I very clearly see and then it just isnt there anymore for several seconds thanks to either lods or something else the game does with how it renders things.

Theres lots of discussion on these matters and this and the bug of planes becoming invisible if they're in front of a cloud at certain distance must all be well known to devs. I dont think it helps to make yet another complaint thread, but I dont want to pretend that the game isnt without its issues...

307960_20180921225524_1.png

307960_20180921225527_1.png

Edited by LeLv76_Erkki

8 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

I just landed in taw, heres two screenshots. Theres 3 109s visible, they're returning to base. They're about 3 km out or so. They pop partially and even fully invisible and back to visible in quick succession as they move across my view, and seeing this phenomenon again I took many screenshots and heres a pair where one of the 109s is invisible. Its impossible to keep an eye on a single-pixel plane that I very clearly see and then it just isnt there anymore for several seconds thanks to either lods or something else the game does with how it renders things.

Ok so that topic belongs over the technical issues and bugs section. I’ve personally never seen that. The aliasing in front of clouds is a known issue and unfortunately it’s just an effect of how the clouds are done. 

2 hours ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

It most definitely is a game problem when planes flicker between 1-3 pixels and 0 pixels when they're clearly visible.

bs

Calm down chap.

35 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Ok so that topic belongs over the technical issues and bugs section. I’ve personally never seen that. The aliasing in front of clouds is a known issue and unfortunately it’s just an effect of how the clouds are done. 

It happens pretty much all the time, but especially when planes are tail or nose towards the camera and present smallest silhouette. Game draws pixel(s) for some time and then nothing. Its even worse with antialiasing enabled, which is why me and many others dont use it. The only way to see the plane that is apparently too small to not get drawn at all is to zoom in so that it becomes big enough to be drawn all the time instead of being partially or completely invisible. This is one of the reasons why I think that this game too needs dots in some form. My eyesight is still good enough to see individual pixels...

Its even worse with antialiasing enabled, which is why me and many others dont use it. 

That’s what’s causing your problem. Without antialiasing to blend the edges of objects that would otherwise appear on one pixel or another or not at all, the edges or objects will just flicker or vanish. Cliffs of Dover (vanilla) did not have functioning AA and this effect was really awful. Turn AA on to its highest setting if you can. 

We have zoom because we use monitors/displays with finite amount of pixels. In real life your eyes can make out much finer details at greater distances. For example you can clearly follow a subsonic 2 meter amateur rocket climbing to 3000m (10000 ft) with your bare eyes and follow it back down to earth. Even after the motor burns out.

Now try doing that in a game with default FOV and it'll just disappear out into the thin air after half a second, never to be found again. It's because as it gets away there are fewer and fewer pixels to represent it. I'm not even mentioning how your eyes are much better at tracking and stabilizing than your average TrackIR or game cam.

That's why we have zoom and visual aids (like how IL-2 renders targets far away with at least a couple of pixels) in these types of games. It IS a necessity and NOT cheating.

Edited by tahribator

On 9/20/2018 at 11:08 AM, SharpeXB said:

The day that VR completely replaces monitors will be very very very far in the future or probably never. It’s bad enough that these flight sims require the purchase of a $20 joystick let alone a $500 headset. 

There will be VR only titles eventually and I think sooner rather than later.

And it may well be for a higher end market than what you represent. Some people spend a few more dollars on flight simulation than you seem willing to part with.

That being said, if you have a computer that can drive a VR Head Mounted Display (HMD), the HMD itself is MUCH cheaper than a decent quality 4K monitor in the size range one should desire for flight simulation. When I built the rig I use for VR I was intending to play in 4K but I bought an Oculus first because the 4K monitors in the 56 inch range with decent performance were $1500. I instantly fell in love with VR and have no thoughts about a 4K monitor. 

The financial barrier to VR is the computer to drive it, not in the HMD itself. A complete Oculus Rift with sensors is $399. The computer to properly drive it is in the range of $2000.

DCS without labels in VR is essentially unplayable on a MP server. Almost everyone else will be on a flat screen so they can see something. I know of several guys that have VR but fly flat screen in DCS because VR visibility is so poor. Until that changes, DCS sits on the hard drive unused.

I hope IL2 realizes the importance of the VR market in flight sims and makes a dedicated effort to develop the graphics with that in mind.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

That’s what’s causing your problem. Without antialiasing to blend the edges of objects that would otherwise appear on one pixel or another or not at all, the edges or objects will just flicker or vanish. Cliffs of Dover (vanilla) did not have functioning AA and this effect was really awful. Turn AA on to its highest setting if you can. 

Unfortunately its even worse at x4(as are framerates) and the disappearance phenomenon appears at even shorter distances. Heres a 109 from directly behind about 0,5 s apart, with antialising. The plane is clearly larger than one pixel(whats actually drawn there are the wings represented by 2 pixels 2 px apart, game doesnt even bother with the fuselage anymore) that would be easily visible to naked eye still.

My and many other's solution is to play at all times slightly zoomed in whenever possible because a) we could see objects smaller than 1 pixel but we're restricted by hardware and b) the game often just doesnt draw them anyway, because there are no dots and I have a feeling that theres issues with lods. I have already put I cant even tell you how much time into trying to figure out how to see things better adjusting all the in-game and graphics card settings and I just dont. Planes just arent drawn when they should be, and there are no dots even at distances where planes would be easily visible to naked eye either. I cannot play fully or even half zoomed in at all times. Planes may be drawn correctly(as in this is intentional) but the way its done doesnt let us see them at realistic distances without zooming in a lot and in doing so completely losing peripherial vision.

This issue of being half blind not something that makes me stop playing or buying the game but it is an issue, it is annoying and it isnt realistic.

307960_20180922165028_1.thumb.png.c3e05b094cac54c299769c6ccd8d1954.png307960_20180922165029_1.thumb.png.48b306b586f786812dd853bf7fc9d893.png

8 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

My and many other's solution is to play at all times slightly zoomed in whenever possible because a) we could see objects smaller than 1 pixel but we're restricted by hardware and b) the game often just doesnt draw them anyway, because there are no dots and I have a feeling that theres issues with lods. I have already put I cant even tell you how much time into trying to figure out how to see things better adjusting all the in-game and graphics card settings and I just dont. Planes just arent drawn when they should be, and there are no dots even at distances where planes would be easily visible to naked eye either. I cannot play fully or even half zoomed in at all times. 

Try varying the zoom level in and out on the fly, don't just leave it set at a certain amount. Assign some buttons or an axis on your controls to it. That's how it's meant to be used. Vary between a wide angle for awareness and narrow for ID and detail.

1 hour ago, =475FG=DAWGER said:

There will be VR only titles eventually and I think sooner rather than later.

There are VR only titles now. But the idea of a niche game like a flight sim going VR only is a stretch.

1 hour ago, =475FG=DAWGER said:

And it may well be for a higher end market than what you represent. 

Or not...

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/superdata-vr-sales-report-1202878145/

I found LeLv76_Erkki's screen shots instructive.   I play the game on a Samsung 27 inch monitor (monitor, not a TV) and looking at the screen shots I could see the three dots for the planes if my head was only as far back as say 20 inches from the monitor.  Any further away and they become invisible to my eyes.  I suspect in game I would never notice them.  I know the game would be much more enjoyable to me if I could easily see (not necessarily notice) a fighter at 15k out.   

So I wonder, is IL2-1946 better at seeing planes at a distance without the text showing up below the planes?  I recall that it is.   And CLOD, is it any better in seeing planes at a distance?

3 minutes ago, Uriah said:

So I wonder, is IL2-1946 better at seeing planes at a distance without the text showing up below the planes?  I recall that it is.   And CLOD, is it any better in seeing planes at a distance?

Yes it is in 1946, and IMHO it was a little too easy to spot far out fighter size targets. In 1946 maximum dot draw range is 16 km but even there one in my experience needs to use the middle or lowest FOV(most zoomed in) to see the fighter dot at 16 km. 1920x1080. If its against the ground its impossible to see until its much closer than that, but it is/was still imho a little too easy to see them against most backgrounds. Its also possible to adjust the dot draw range serverside, but I cant recall how and between what limits.

14 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

In 1946 maximum dot draw range is 16 km 

That’s way too far away (10 miles) to expect to see a fighter size aircraft. And pixel sized “dots” make that too easy. See it’s features like that in the old sims that give people these false conceptions about how far away you should be spotting aircraft. 

5 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

That’s way too far away (10 miles) to expect to see a fighter size aircraft. And pixel sized “dots” make that too easy. See it’s features like that in the old sims that give people these false conceptions about how far away you should be spotting aircraft. 

My complaints are not about how its more difficult than before, but how its unrealistically difficult(without extensive use of zoom anyway)

31 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

My complaints are not about how its more difficult than before, but how its unrealistically difficult(without extensive use of zoom anyway)

You’re supposed to use the zoom extensively. This is a good example. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SharpeXB said:

You’re supposed to use the zoom extensively. Watch some gameplay videos on YouTube and see how other players do it. 

Who says so? I have no problem using zoom. I do have problem with not being able to see a thing without it. Exaggerating, of course. Please dont try to turn it into skill question when its not. We both know why zoom needs to be used.

2 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

I have no problem using zoom.

Then what are you complaining about?

Just now, SharpeXB said:

Then what are you complaining about?

Do you often not read posts you reply to? The problem is having to use the zoom in the first place and losing peripherial vision when using that zoom just to see planes at realistic to human eye distances. Tunnel vision, if you like.

Is there a kind of monitor that makes any real difference in seeing the planes at distance.  I am guessing that pixels are getting smaller with the higher the resolution.

Between the two, zooming and being to see planes out at say 10 miles, my opinion is that zoom is more unrealistic.

35 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

Do you often not read posts you reply to? The problem is having to use the zoom in the first place and losing peripherial vision when using that zoom just to see planes at realistic to human eye distances. Tunnel vision, if you like.

The zoom view is a necessary and universally used command in flight sims. If you can’t understand why it’s there or won’t use it then there’s no way to help you. There aren’t any flight sims today that use these archaic view aids like they did back when games were played on 11” CRT monitors. So don’t get hung up on having that in sims today. Like any game you have to learn to play them the way they are. It’s not reasonable to expect the devs to change their product based upon what one person thinks. So figure it out and don’t keep banging your head against a wall. 

Edited by SharpeXB

On 8/27/2018 at 8:25 AM, pfrances said:

The owl-necks of Track IR are what keeps me out of multiplayer. Way too easy for those guys to check their 6.

Do you live in Richmond? Stop cutting me off in traffic, do a shoulder check ya rotten bastard.   :P

On 8/29/2018 at 11:53 AM, pfrances said:

You had a bad demo. I've had sessions over 5 hours with no issues. I highly recommend you give it another shot in a better environment before condemning it completely. That beings said, it's not for everyone, some people just don't like it.

No, it's just not ready. I've used VR multiple times and I love it. The field of view is narrow. For an activity like combat flight sims visibility is everything.

As I suspect you don't shoulder check in your Honda I'll explain the process. You look left or right but your head only goes so far..... Your eyes do the rest of the job allowing you to look behind the door pillar and not cut me off anymore. Doing this series of movements allows you to look directly behind you..... Almost like checking six......Don't forget to signal please.

On 8/27/2018 at 10:25 AM, pfrances said:

The owl-necks of Track IR are what keeps me out of multiplayer. Way too easy for those guys to check their 6.

You know that you can do the same thing with a snap view, right?

8 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

You know that you can do the same thing with a snap view, right?

Just don‘t tell him you can do the same on pan view using ministicks on the HOTAS!

Edited by ZachariasX

22 hours ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

It happens pretty much all the time, but especially when planes are tail or nose towards the camera and present smallest silhouette. Game draws pixel(s) for some time and then nothing. Its even worse with antialiasing enabled, which is why me and many others dont use it. The only way to see the plane that is apparently too small to not get drawn at all is to zoom in so that it becomes big enough to be drawn all the time instead of being partially or completely invisible. This is one of the reasons why I think that this game too needs dots in some form. My eyesight is still good enough to see individual pixels...

I suspected setting are your issue then you go on and type out the EXACT issue turning AA off causes. This isn't Cliffs of Dover where turning AA off helps. In BoX it makes things worse.

The fella you are being rude to said the same because he is correct....

The above is a start. I had to tweak a few things differently but this helped spotting as well as smooth game play.

Edited by 7./JG26_Smokejumper

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

The zoom view is a necessary and universally used command in flight sims. If you can’t understand why it’s there or won’t use it then there’s no way to help you. There aren’t any flight sims today that use these archaic view aids like they did back when games were played on 11” CRT monitors. So don’t get hung up on having that in sims today. Like any game you have to learn to play them the way they are. It’s not reasonable to expect the devs to change their product based upon what one person thinks. So figure it out and don’t keep banging your head against a wall. 

Yes, zoom is very necessary indeed because its very difficult to see far out objects when using wide fov for peripherial vision. We both agree on that even if you say that I dont understand. It is polite to read what one writes and not make strawmen. Old games had those assists indeed to help with low resolutions and screen sizes, yes, but lets not pretend the problem doesnt still exist anymore as human eye doesnt see in 1920x1080. I do not think that harder always equals more difficult. I live next to an airfield with a 2 km runway and from the end of it a ww2 fighter sized tow plane is easily visible and I can ID it with bare eyes. From the lake I can see planes on final approach at straight angle to their flight path 3 to 3,5 km away and I can usually tell what plane it is from shape and color. Depending a bit on weather. I cannot do that in Il-2 without zooming fully in.

Other than some kind of dot system I dont know how to solve this, for now. I already said in my very first post that dots are overdone in 1946. We need super high resolution VR. Or something. Maybe in 20 years.

1 hour ago, 7./JG26_Smokejumper said:

I suspected setting are your issue then you go on and type out the EXACT issue turning AA off causes. This isn't Cliffs of Dover where turning AA off helps. In BoX it makes things worse.

Thanks but I have read that to no/little avail(see above for AA screenshots) and even if it were solved, this that is only half of the visibility issue. The other half being the mess of resolution vs. screen size and distance vs. fov vs. human eyesight.

There’s no answer to this topic every time it comes up. Some people can’t or won’t understand basic stuff like field of view and resolution. 

3 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

We need super high resolution VR. Or something. Maybe in 20 years.

Great. In the meantime maybe learn to use the zoom view like everyone else.

6 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

Other than some kind of dot system I dont know how to solve this, for now. 

ED already wasted a bunch of time and effort with dots and sprites in DCS and had to abandon it all because it creates too many problems. There’s hundreds of posts to read about it over there. I would prefer that 1CGS not get led down the same dead end. 

41 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

Yes, zoom is very necessary indeed because its very difficult to see far out objects when using wide fov for peripherial vision. We both agree on that even if you say that I dont understand. It is polite to read what one writes and not make strawmen. Old games had those assists indeed to help with low resolutions and screen sizes, yes, but lets not pretend the problem doesnt still exist anymore as human eye doesnt see in 1920x1080. I do not think that harder always equals more difficult. I live next to an airfield with a 2 km runway and from the end of it a ww2 fighter sized tow plane is easily visible and I can ID it with bare eyes. From the lake I can see planes on final approach at straight angle to their flight path 3 to 3,5 km away and I can usually tell what plane it is from shape and color. Depending a bit on weather. I cannot do that in Il-2 without zooming fully in.

Other than some kind of dot system I dont know how to solve this, for now. I already said in my very first post that dots are overdone in 1946. We need super high resolution VR. Or something. Maybe in 20 years.

Thanks but I have read that to no/little avail(see above for AA screenshots) and even if it were solved, this that is only half of the visibility issue. The other half being the mess of resolution vs. screen size and distance vs. fov vs. human eyesight.

LOL you keep saying you understand but at full zoom that would be like real eyesight in regards to being able to see far and detail. If you'd watch one of either the video I posted or many of the others in this thread explaining how FOV on a computer screen and in a game works you'd understand that. Fully zoomed in is the proper scale you would see the world if you were looking at it through a tiny window. Pretend a monitor is a window and you are looking at the world through that window, when fully zoomed in that is what the real life vision would be like with under those circumstances of the window. That's all it is. So claiming we need handicaps at full pulled out wide FOV is nonsense and clearly shows you have no idea what you are talking about. The fact of the matter is there is no solution. What we have is the best solution after nearly 30 years of flight sims. So deal with it.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

44 minutes ago, AeroAce said:

Can someone just pin the best answers and close this tread already lol.

:good:

Best post in the thread.

This topic comes up what now, app every 2 years or so?

:dash:

1 minute ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

LOL you keep saying you understand but at full zoom that would be like real eyesight in regards to being able to see far and detail. If you'd watch one of either the video I posted or many of the others in this thread explaining how FOV on a computer screen and in a game works you'd understand that. Fully zoomed in is the proper scale you would see the world if you were looking at it through a tiny window. Pretend a monitor is a window and you are looking at the world through that window, when fully zoomed in that is what the real life vision would be like with under those circumstances of the window. That's all it is. So claiming we need handicaps at full pulled out wide FOV is nonsense and clearly shows you have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm not sure what you're after. Of course my screen is a "window" that I look through, and thus zooming in makes one lose all peripherial vision. Thats what I've said maybe 5 times already. Does anyone actually play the game... any game at correct fov for 1:1 scale?

Revi reticle circle is 100 mils. I sit about 80 cm from my screen. From where I sit 100 mils is 8 cm on the screen. When fully zoomed in the revi sight on my screen seems to be 9,6 cm so actually things look slightly larger than 1:1 when zoomed. To get true 1:1 scale from here I shouldnt zoom quite fully in or I should move chair back by 16 cm. :) And I would only see the gunsight and windscreen when looking ahead...

Given the way things are and that they are not likely to change I played around with what I could do with zoom.  I had it assigned to two buttons on the joy stick but found that it actually worked more naturally if I put it on a axis on my CH Throttle quadrant. 

5 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

I disagree.   The resolution of an aircraft in the sky is not as simple as the old "tell two headlights apart" distance based on the average human eye.  In practice, it can be greatly affected by conditions.  The glint of the sun off the cockpit or metallic surfaces will be visible for much further than the plane itself may be.  Any moving point of glint is likely an aircraft.  And yes, there is no one solid answer for the distance that will be seen, because it is an interaction of angles of incidence and the position of the sun. 

I haven't been able to spend as much time with this game this week as I'd like, but as far as I can tell, reflection glint is not modeled.  When you see an aircraft, it is always a dark dot.   This becomes a bigger deal when you are looking down at a dark forest on a sunny day.

And on another "silly historical" note, I doubt you got selected for flight training if you had poor vision.  Pilots today can have less-than-optimal vision and wear glasses...AFAIK that was not the case in WWII.  So the vision should be "as good as it can be." 

59 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

I'm not sure what you're after. Of course my screen is a "window" that I look through, and thus zooming in makes one lose all peripherial vision. Thats what I've said maybe 5 times already. Does anyone actually play the game... any game at correct fov for 1:1 scale?

Revi reticle circle is 100 mils. I sit about 80 cm from my screen. From where I sit 100 mils is 8 cm on the screen. When fully zoomed in the revi sight on my screen seems to be 9,6 cm so actually things look slightly larger than 1:1 when zoomed. To get true 1:1 scale from here I shouldnt zoom quite fully in or I should move chair back by 16 cm. :) And I would only see the gunsight and windscreen when looking ahead...

Ok? Nobody get's what your issue is. You just keep saying the same things over and over and over again. Why you aren't varying your zoom level while flying around is anyones guess.

1 minute ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

Ok? Nobody get's what your issue is. You just keep saying the same things over and over and over again. Why you aren't varying your zoom level while flying around is anyones guess.

Why you keep not reading what I actually type over and over again? Of course I use zoom! Christ.

One often cannot see far out planes at realistic distances without using lots zoom. There is no problem in zooming in to track or ID a plane that is already seen. There is serious issue in actually spotting planes at realistic distances as that requires looking all around zoomed in. FOV is tiny(tunnel visioned) and the sky is huge. And while scanning one loses peripherial vision including into the cockpit. I cannot fit even 1:1 size gunsight and important gauges such as slip indicator or airspeed on the screen at the same time. Very few can. This is why I think that dots can provide more realistic results in virtual pilots' abilities to spot and track targets(while retaining peripherial vision) even if they themselves are articifial.

Erkki, hello and Salute !

You're going around in circles here, acknowleging the difference of a computer screen vs real life sight.. then seemingly denying it again.

It's always going to be unrealistic, because it is unreal, it's a game.

Therefore we must adapt with a compromise or two to make this game playable.

It's all been said before, including that the zooming out function is provided for convenience, whilst being zoomed in all the time would represent closest to reality. But peripheral vision and all that... in fact zoomed-out fully still only gives us around half of our peripheral vision by my estimates, so if there's any disadvantage in-game it's lack of being able to zoom out fully. But we're back at the subject of computer screen limitations. Not sure a fish-eye effect to cram everything in at the peripheries would be what we want.

So we're stuck with the zoom function, unless some kind of scaling is used.

Of course a more flexible icons system would please some but not others who wouldn't use icons under any circumstances.

But it seems we're stuck with the rigid, over-powering icons system we have for a while yet.

Bottom line, if you want real vision and real spotting, you're gonna have to buy a real plane !

S!

While I agree with you @LeLv76_Erkki I do want to make something clear so we don't keep going in circles. 

I (and I think most others here) don't think fixed opacity pixels as used in Il2 1946 are the solution, nor are imposters. Currently the game uses lighting adjustments to improve distant spotting. Most of us agree that spotting (when zoomed out) is a little bit too hard. But implementing dots/imposters gives us new issues. I didn't really want to attempt to provide a solution but oh heck let's give it a shot.

Let's make a version of the pixel dot that seems fair to all monitor users.This is a hypothetical.
It won't be perfect. 
Firstly, we look at the angular size of the target, the average player is either using a VR headset or a 1080p monitor which gives us a PPD of 13-20. Therefore let's blend in a dot when an aircraft is (say) 1/10th of a degree in size using a dot that consists of two segments: A lit segment that is the colour of the plane when illuminated by the sun/moon/primary lightsource at its current angle to player and angle to lightsource (just use a reference HDR textured sphere + opacity for distance) and an unlit segment that is the shadow colour. We'll call this the Lit/Unlit value for the dot. The size of the dot will be fixed at 1/12th of a degree regardless of monitor resolution. As the aircraft gets even further away this dot fades to be completely transparent. The angular size of this dot will be consistent no matter the monitor type UNLESS you have a very low res screen (in which case the dot will be too large). So now we can make it "Fair" and try to give high res monitors a slight advantage (not as much as they currently have, but we don't want to make running the game at lower resolutions an advantage). To do this we look at how many pixels it takes up, e.g. we have approx 4 pixels on a 1080p monitor dedicated to this aircraft at all distances. Take your Lit/Unlit values and divide by (some constant times) the inverse of how many pixels it takes up. The lower resolutions get a dot to help them with spotting, turn your monitor down to an even lower resolution and the dot becomes transparent (so you can't cheat the game and get a huge, obvious dot), if you run a really high resolution like 4k the dot will be the same angular size as on a 1080p screen but more contrasted. 

You'd also have to run an opacity check for haze, clouds, particles like smoke. It'd be a pain to implement but in my eyes the fairest option. Does anyone have an easier method or objections to this?

Sadly Zooropa you are right.  We are stuck with this game the way it is.  It will not change.  Other games have other issues.