Sign in to follow this  
Sotka94

Pfalz D.III discussion

Hi all,

I think it would be nice to have discussion threads for every plane in FC,  like the Fokker Dr.I thread started by Chill31.

So here's one for all things Pfalz D.IIIa, a plane I am personally very fond of. A sturdy and beautiful plane, yet ever the unloved underdog when compared to the much more famous and popular Albatros.

9 hours ago, Sotka94 said:

So here's one for all things Pfalz D.IIIa, a plane I am personally very fond of. A sturdy and beautiful plane, yet ever the unloved underdog when compared to the much more famous and popular Albatros.

I'd say you've pretty much exhausted the topic right there. Let's hope it's not too out-of-date for the available opposition.

Edited by Cynic_Al

1 hour ago, Cynic_Al said:

I'd say you've pretty much exhausted the topic right there. Let's hope it's not too out-of-date for the available opposition.

I guess not all people can quite grasp the concept of an "early access" module....

18 minutes ago, SeaSerpent said:

I guess not all people can quite grasp the concept of an "early access" module....

Response suppressed owing to forum fragility.

3 hours ago, Descolada said:

may the pfalzocopter never rise again

I've heard this come up a few times. What was going on with the Pfalz back in the day?

19 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I've heard this come up a few times. What was going on with the Pfalz back in the day?

The Pfalz was a mini-camel - that's what was happening. If you did not know how to fly the Camel, you could fly the Pfalz against the majoroty of Dr.1 pilots. Since it was not realistic, they nerfed it back to a sort of an Albatros performance (november 2014 patch).

5 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

The Pfalz was a mini-camel - that's what was happening. If you did not know how to fly the Camel, you could fly the Pfalz against the majoroty of Dr.1 pilots. Since it was not realistic, they nerfed it back to a sort of an Albatros performance (november 2014 patch).

Which is where it should always have been, just with better wing stickiditude.

Even if I always prefered flying the Alatross D.Va, the Pfalz D.III will always have a special place in my heart, for it once saved my virtual life when most likely no other plane would have:

I was flying in SP over the French Coast on the Channel map one afternoon, fighting against several hostile fighters (don't remember which type of plane I was facing), when one enemy hit me with a massive burst from his MG's, damaging the wings on my left badly. They almost snapped off immediately, putting my plane into a dive from about 1,5 km's height. Shortly after, the wings on my right snapped off as well, only leaving me with the small part of the upper wing right over my motor section, as I kept diving straight to my doom.

I hit the pause button. My plane was lost. All the wings were gone, I was plummeting towards the ground, no reason to continue. For whatever reason though, I decided to take it like a man, so I unpaused the game again and prepared to go down in style: Full throttle towards the ground.

After reaching a speed of about 280 km/h at about 250 metres above the ground, the magic of the Pfalz happened: The plane started to slowly pull up, finally going into a stable level flight and then into a shallow descent. With very gentle moves to my elevator controls I was able to safely land the plane on a field, with no wings left, but a virtual life all safe.

I'm positive that this was a one-time-bug, since I never had been able to recreate this situation. But boy, this gave me some good laughs and one of the weirdest looks of disbelief I must have ever had.

Edited by Fritz_X
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Descolada said:

It was in a ridiculous state at one stage... it would hang on it's prop like a helicopter and stay there.

Glad to say it has now been more or less sorted  :)

I'm assuming it will be put into FC with the same fm.

It's actually quite doable with an Albatros D.Va, dive straight down with 0% throttle until your tachometer hits max, yank the stick back and enjoy wingless flying

qWqmAO2.jpg?1

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think we all know what the first user-made skin we're getting for the "old Pfalz" is.

actor-george-peppard-in-a-scene-from-the

50 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

It was in a ridiculous state at one stage... it would hang on it's prop like a helicopter and stay there.

Glad to say it has now been more or less sorted  :)

I'm assuming it will be put into FC with the same fm.

I heard they were planning to give it 2 small rocket boosters under each wingtip, so you have some manoueverability whilst hanging there waiting for something to fly over the top of you to shoot at.  🚁

Looking forward to seeing how competative the new DIIIa will be..

9 hours ago, Rothary said:

It's actually quite doable with an Albatros D.Va, dive straight down with 0% throttle until your tachometer hits max, yank the stick back and enjoy wingless flying

So no-one could possibly say there's anything wrong with that flight model.

Although I never flew multiplayer -- in my experience with RoF, the Pfalz D.III was my favorite plane and I'm looking forward to flying it in FC!  It didn't shed its wings in a dive like the Albatross and it out-turned the Albatross. Its strength was in turning and diving as it could out dive most planes without the structural damage most other types would experience. I also liked the Pup but unlike the Pfalz D.III, it was under gunned and underpowered -- even though fun to fly. Both planes were very forgiving to fly, unlike many of the planes in the sim but the Pfalz D.III could go toe to toe with most of the planes during it's time. It wasn't very fast and that's the only thing I could criticize -- but the Dr1 wasn’t very fast either and many people loved that plane!

From what I understand, the (real) pfalz was albatros-esque in handling (maybe a bit worse), but could dive like lightning! It would be cool if the Pfalz was a good diver in FC1 as well! 

20 hours ago, US103_Larner said:

From what I understand, the (real) pfalz was albatros-esque in handling (maybe a bit worse), but could dive like lightning! It would be cool if the Pfalz was a good diver in FC1 as well! 

The revised Pfalz D.IIIa is very much like this (let’s not talk about the pfalzocopter anymore). It’s slightly slower and less maneuverable than the Albatros D.Va, but it can dive far better and it won’t shed its wings quite so easily when damaged. In many ways, it’s a safer and more balanced plane to fly — and thus not that popular in multiplayer, as it doesn’t have a unique strength to exploit. Most people don’t really consider how resistant their plane is to damage when making their plane selection. That includes yours truly: the Bristol Fighter is notoriously fragile. The trick, of course, is not to take damage in the first place.

We’re very fortunate to get the Pfalz before the Albatros, as this means it will see a bit of stick time online, and we will see it being used as an energy fighter against the Camel. Against a well-flown SPAD you might have less of a chance, although you shouldn’t have any problems diving away, provided you add a spiral element to your dive.

Here’s hoping the next Entente plane is the Dolphin rather than the SE5a, and we’ll have us some underdogfighting!

20 hours ago, US103_Larner said:

If they are taking the flight model right from ROF... it is.  D3a is probably the only plane that I would follow a Spad into a dive in.

I like the Pfalz D.III in MP. Whatever you do, wings stay on. Also, everybody thinks it is a bad plane and they come at you also in careless manner. They shouldn‘t.

And also very much looking forward to the Dolphin. Hope the wings are a bit more robust (yes, on the SE5 as well!!). All those machine guns... :)

On 8/25/2018 at 2:50 AM, Descolada said:

hahah yeah it was an ultimate stall eliminator

D.IIIa  is pretty plausible recreation of historical planes performance - slower, sturdier, less maneuvrable Albatros. In RoF it can dive at terminal valocity (spawn on 10k, throttle down, point nose down, dive without rudderchute) without as much as popping an aileron. It can dive on, and from, any Entente plane, Spads included.

I love D.IIIa as two-seater killer - given altitude advantage it can dive on any plane, catch it if it dives away, then trade fire with the observer, soaking up the damage until two-seater gives first. If the situation gets more airquakey and rammy (as in, five friendlies on TS decide they all have to join your 1-on-1 at the same moment ), it can survive being rammed by Albatros and get its pilot to the ground alive; Albies just bounce away from it with broken wings.

In fact,  it's probable best Central plane when it comes to surviving when you can't win.

Edited by J2_Trupobaw
  • Upvote 1