LLv44_Kanttori

KANTTORIN KONE Throttle Console

On 9/11/2018 at 10:07 AM, NETSCAPE said:

I am glad to read US sales are coming in 2019.

If you are from U.S. you can still order it now! ;)

Here are the final throttle and RPM-levers. They are assigned on next week to my Squad mates  new throttle console and I send more pictures after that how it looks. Handles' diameters are now 43mm.

3d-model_throttle-rpm-icon.jpg

• Upvote 1

I would love to have one of this.

Only sim I fly is IL2 BOS.

Does BOS allows to use rudder trim on a rotary axis?

I would like to have all those rotary axes and be able to use them, for example one of them assigned to rudder trim.

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2018 at 10:15 PM, II./JG77_motoadve said:

I would love to have one of this.

Only sim I fly is IL2 BOS.

Does BOS allows to use rudder trim on a rotary axis?

I would like to have all those rotary axes and be able to use them, for example one of them assigned to rudder trim.

IL-2 BOS is renamed IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles and it really allows to use rotar encoders as you wrote. Actually my console has all the three rotary encoder axles: rudder (yaw), pitch (elevator) and roll (aileron). It is not so quickly as traditional analog potentiometer, but it is much more precise trimmer. With all the two motor bombers and three motor Ju52 those three rotary encoder trims are very usable and actually very necessary.

With the Tante Ju you must roll the rudder trim almost minus 40% and only then it is flying straight!  When your Ju88 left motor is cutting out you must at first feather the propeller quickly and then use roll (aileron) trim plus 50-100% to rise the left wing up... etc. etc... I am a bomber pilot and I can't live or fly without those three trim-wheels! They have saved my virtual life hundreds of times... :)

Edited by LLv44_Kanttori
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

I read that you consider making a two engine version, is this correct?

That's right, but it takes time at least one year. 

Will the layout ( possession of the trim) be the same, if so can I alter my order to this. I got time.

14 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

Will the layout ( possession of the trim) be the same, if so can I alter my order to this. I got time.

The becoming bomber console is becoming very much alike this current fighter-bomber model but it is about 4 cm wider and 8 cm longer.

2 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

Well then I like to be as close to the top of the list as possible for that one then

Yes you are! :good:

36 minutes ago, BlueHeron said:

Very exciting stuff.    How long is the queue now to get one made?

My order list is now at least two months. One is just be completed to shipping and then there are six new consoles in the queue. There are also six old consoles which are coming to "updating" (new 3D-printed handles, new RPM-shafts and 3-turn precision potentiometers) but I can take them between the new consoles now and then.

So I can take at most two new subscriptions which I can build before XMas

Here are the new console pictures with the new 3D printed handles and extra three buttons assigned to the throttle handle. After two weeks testing I must say that they feels good and the extra buttons are very usable. I fly mostly bombers and I have mapped to those buttons briefing map, toggle to pilot/bomb sight (to same middle button) and toggle turret positions. The end cap button has TrackIR centering (up) Zoom in/out (left/right) and conventional (Russian) wheel brakes (down). 

fighter_console2.jpg

fighter_console3.jpg

fighter_console4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Sire said:

Looks fantastic - but what's the price 

The console is hand made in Finland and build from hi tech components, the price is 535 euros. More technical information from here: Kanttorin Kone

I have wrote new Joystick Gremlin configuration software's QUICK START instructions to my Setting Up Pages:

https://www.kanttorinkone.com/setup.html

Joystick Gremlin is an awesome application and I really recommend to use it with my Throttle Console!

"Joystick Gremlin is a program that allows the configuration of joystick like devices, similar to what CH Control Manager and Thrustmaster's T.A.R.G.E.T. do for their respectively supported joysticks. However, Joystick Gremlin works with any device be it from different manufacturers or custom devices that appear as a joystick to Windows. Joystick Gremlin uses the virtual joysticks provided by vJoy to map physical to virtual inputs and apply various other transformations such as response curves to analogue axes. In addition to customizing joysticks, Joystick Gremlin also provides powerful macro functionalities, a flexible mode system, scripting using Python, and many other features."

Edited by LLv44_Kanttori
  • Upvote 1

New color coded (Luftwaffe) knobs to switches and pots. Red knob is propeller manual pitch. Brown knobs are oil radiators and green are water radiators. Some radiators needs switch type (as Bf 110) adjustment and some needs potentiometer axes. In the front end of console black knob is gears up/down and white knob is flaps up/down. You can change knobs as you wish depending on your mapping. I can supply console also with default black knobs if you don't need color codes. Just tell me! :)

knobs1-icon.jpg

knobs2-icon.jpg

Edited by LLv44_Kanttori
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

Do not forget me 😊

Do you mean your pre subscribing for theJu88 yoke which is coming to marketing on next spring? I remember it! :) 

I recently bought this excellent piece of vintage engineering (Cantor's Console in English). The console is a great immersion enhancer in IL-2 with it's numerous and properly "old fashioned" clicking switches and dials. Perhaps the best single detail for a Bf-109 driver is the big stabilizer wheel on the side. The wheel rotates _three_ times 360 degrees and is thus super exact. It makes flying the 109 a real joy as trimming is an order of magnitude more precise than trimming with joystick buttons or keyboard.

Here's a pic of my current setup. In VR I use a Trackball mouse strapped to my left thigh with a Velcro strap (left in front of screen), so I don't need to reach for the keyboard while clicking around in the game interface. I don't have the space for a separate cockpit so I have to fit all the stuff in my normal work environment. Thus my stick is permanently mounted on the side and the Console itself sits on a movable side table so it can be pushed out of the way when not playing.

The Console also serves as a steampunk-spirited work of art, even my wife admired it :)

cockpit-w-console.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LLv32_Paganini said:

I don't have the space for a separate cockpit so I have to fit all the stuff in my normal work environment. Thus my stick is permanently mounted on the side

Have you at least tried with the stick in the center?

It should not take that long to move it out of the way, when not in use. Especially with those extensions, a center position for the stick would be better.

55 minutes ago, Seb71 said:

It should not take that long to move it out of the way, when not in use. Especially with those extensions, a center position for the stick would be better.

+1

22 hours ago, Seb71 said:

This setup has it advantages, but I'd prefer center mounting too. Sadly I cannot fit the stick at the center because my table has this unfortunate structure. The edge is so high that I had to saw a piece off of it to get the Virpil mount in place (pic). I cannot do the same near the center because there's a huge block of wood in the way (pic). So I'm kind of stuck with this setup as long as I don't buy a new desk. Which I'll probably do in the near future anyway for other reasons, that one will be joystick-friendly  : )

desk3.thumb.JPG.c61ec6f684033374490cc029eb057ffa.JPGdesk1.thumb.JPG.f928c56b5a631eb0bf23ac615fecade5.JPG

Edited by LLv32_Paganini

It's surprisingly difficult to build the right "flight sim station" around a standard computer desk.  I've gone to great pains to setup center mounted sticks over the years; it's been a must since I've started using HOTAS.  

12 hours ago, BlueHeron said:

It's surprisingly difficult to build the right "flight sim station" around a standard computer desk.  I've gone to great pains to setup center mounted sticks over the years; it's been a must since I've started using HOTAS.  

That's why I like MonsterTech's product offerings. I was able to build a quite nice flight sim stand around my standard computer desk quite nicely. 

Despatched Mon 17th, arrived yesterday. The box had been dropped or thrown around (maybe both) and looked a bit battered, but fortunately it had been lined with ply, and the throttle had been very well packed, with egg cartons, bubble wrap, cardboard rolls and newspaper. No visible damage!

I've only had one, short test flight so far, after mapping some essential controls, and it seems to have survived intact. Everything working well, and it does feel very nice to rest my hand on, compared to the glossy WH handles.

So many extra buttons and switches available, and some that will need 3rd party software to utilise. But first I'm going to have some fun with it. 

IMG_20190624_101839.jpg

IMG_20190624_104417.jpg

IMG_20190624_104443c.jpg

• Like 3

VERY NIIIIIICE indeed jaygee and im glad she was still intact, i hope she was worth that bloody long wait my friend, put her through her paces and lets know what you think sometime, have fun mate. :yahoo:   

• Thanks 1

@No.44Sqn_Kanttori

Ehhh... Why do people need to be so talented... Another piece of equipment on my already too long wishlist.

Being serious, truly magnificent work, how many axes does it utilize, 13?

Hopefully mine's in the post soon!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TrueGrey said:

how many axes does it utilize, 13?

Just did a quick count, and counted 10. The knob in the center, 2nd from the front, is a 5 position switch, intended for flare colour selection. I won't need that for a while as I haven't graduated to MP yet. Kanttori can correct me if I'm wrong about total number of axes.

18 hours ago, Mikoyan74 said:

Hopefully mine's in the post soon!

You've got good taste, and it's worth the wait. 

5 hours ago, jaygee485 said:

Just did a quick count, and counted 10. The knob in the center, 2nd from the front, is a 5 position switch, intended for flare colour selection. I won't need that for a while as I haven't graduated to MP yet. Kanttori can correct me if I'm wrong about total number of axes.

console.jpg

To me it looks like we COULD have axes here:

Front:

1 - Oil Radiator Shutters

2 - Roll Trim

3 - Water Radiator Shutters

Side:

4: Mixture

5: Adjustable Stabilizer Axis

6: Pitch Trim

Top from the top left:

7: Prop Pich

8: Oil Rad

9: Water Rad

10: Turbo Supercharger ??

11: Outlet Cowl Shutters

12: Inlet Cowl Shutters

13: RPM Lever

14: Throttle Lever

15: Gears??

17: Flaps

18: Rudder Trim

But since I don't have it, I am not sure : )

Posted (edited)
On 6/27/2019 at 9:43 PM, TrueGrey said:

To me it looks like we COULD have axes here:

Yes, you're right with some of those, now that I investigate further. Some are 3-position switches (up-center-down, or left-center-right), but the Flaps switch, for example, works as an axis for planes with multi-position flaps, so most of the others should be the same. The Gear lever, as marked, just acts as a 2 pos. switch, for the Mk IX and the G-14 anyway. 

I've only mapped Throttle, Gear, Flaps, Horiz. Stab, Canopy Open/Close, and Eject. Just enough for a couple of test flights in a couple of planes, with engine management assists on. All my trims, zoom and zoom reset and gunsight adjustments are on the stick, and I'll probably keep them there.

The Horizontal Stabiliser wheel is especially nice to use. It rotates through 1080 degrees, and as I turn it the big wheel in the 109 cockpit rotates in perfect sync.

I love it already, and I've barely come to grips with it yet. 

Edit: I've now mapped a lot more controls, including engine management (I finally get to fly my La-5 FN), and I was very pleased to find that a lot of switches/buttons that weren't recognised by Windows in Control Panel, are recognised in the game settings. So far I've avoided having to learn Joystick Gremlin/Vjoy, while getting way more available controls at hand than with my trusty old Warthog. It gets better and better. 

Edited by jaygee485
  • Upvote 1

@jaygee485

Sounds and looks like dream throttle for a fighter plane, then. I need to be patient : )

Posted (edited)
NOTICE: There is coming a small but very desired update to the throttle handle on August!

The new handle has then 10 buttons which are 4-way (current) thumb button, 3 (current) big buttons and 3 NEW small buttons as the picture shows. Those upper three small buttons are very usable for ex. with the TeamSpeak whisper radio channels or where else you need them.

Do-it-yourself console owners:

If you can do some small electrical works (mostly remapping some current handle wires) it is easy to update this handle to your older console model. You must change only the middle "tube", those end caps are the same as now. I'm write instructions with pictures if someone want to order this update on Autumn. Call me by E-mail or PM, please! ;)

The 6-buttons high-class circuit board is manufactured by GVL224 as those great throttle and RPM levers too. Thanks to him! :good:

P.s. That picture is photoshopped, I send new pictures as soon the new handle prints are coming.

throttle update example.jpg

Edited by LLv44_Kanttori
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2019 at 12:11 PM, TrueGrey said:

@No.44Sqn_Kanttori

Ehhh... Why do people need to be so talented... Another piece of equipment on my already too long wishlist.

Being serious, truly magnificent work, how many axes does it utilize, 13?

There are eight analog axes and three rotary encoder axes as pitch, yaw and roll trimms. With that updated 10-buttons throttle handle there are all together 72 different switch, pulse and button functions. Enough, I suppose! :joy:

Because IL-2 Great Battles reads only 64 button functions the console is very easy to map suitable to the game with the Joystick Gremlin application. So you have all together 64 button functions available with the IL-2 (and with the DCS all the 72 functions because it reads straight them all). Even if you don't have all the fuctions with the IL-2 you have ALL the consoles buttons and switches available. :)

Notice: Just now there are some Windows 10 ver 1903 update problems with the vJoy drivers (Joystick Gremlin needs them) but I quess they are soon repaired.

Edited by LLv44_Kanttori
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LLv44_Kanttori said:

There are eight analog axes and three rotary encoder axes as pitch, yaw and roll trimms. With that updated 10-buttons throttle handle there are all together 72 different switch, pulse and button functions. Enough, I suppose! :joy:

Well, there is never enough :crazy:

Thanks for the answer, anyway for everyone who wonders which is a button and which is an axis, you have it described nicely here www.kanttorinkone.com.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2019 at 6:01 PM, LLv44_Kanttori said:

Because IL-2 Great Battles reads only 64 button functions the console is very easy to map suitable to the game with the Joystick Gremlin application
Notice: Just now there are some Windows 10 ver 1903 update problems with the vJoy drivers (Joystick Gremlin needs them) but I quess they are soon repaired.

vJoy signed version, supposedly compatible with Windows 10 update 1903.

https://github.com/jshafer817/vJoy

Case have difficulties in install vJoy, an workaround:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3815518#post3815518

Edited by Sokol1
  • Like 1

@LLv44_Kanttori

One more question, what is the weight of the throttle console alone, as I wonder if it would work with Monstertech table mount?

49 minutes ago, TrueGrey said:

@LLv44_Kanttori

One more question, what is the weight of the throttle console alone, as I wonder if it would work with Monstertech table mount?

It's 3,6 kg. Full metal, no plastic! :)

• Thanks 1

NEW 10-BUTTONS HANDLES ARRIVED! :)

I just wired and assigned a totally new 3D printed Throttle handle and 6-button GVL224 Throttle circuit board inside it. There is also a 4-way thumb switch in the end cap of the handle. The 3D-print quality is excellent as you can see from this picture. Now I must think how I map the new functions... There's one idea:

4-way thumb-switchup = track IR centering, left = zoom in, right = zoom out and down = tail wheel lock (that's old functions)

3 upper front small buttons: left = turret positions, middle = pilot position (2nd click to bomb sight) and right = Briefing map. I fly Ju 88 and other bombers very often.

3 lower front big buttons: I think test at first Autopilot on/off  and select motor 1 and motor 2 (that's good to bombers, I just tested it!). Other possibilities are for ex. flaps (fighters) or "quickly" pitch trim buttons (fighters). What do you think, what are important quickly buttons in the throttle handle? I have so many buttons in this console that there can be some buttons twice like those motors selection buttons... ;) 

This picture is from my console number 30 and it will be ship on next Monday to United States!

throttle_update.jpg

Edited by LLv44_Kanttori
  • Like 3