7nm next year, this 20XX series will be very short lived so I'll give it a miss, especially at these ridiculous prices.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

I compared list prices from one of the largest Swiss online retailers (that Therion linked to) that now are listing those items. It lists the 1080 Ti still at ~$1'100 USD. The 2080 Ti is listed at ~$1'300 USD. Getting a 1080 Ti for a mere $600 would be great. And death to many competing GPU's on that retailers site.

In the USA, the price difference for the biggest online PC parts retailer (newegg) is:

GTX 1080: $450 USD

GTX 1080 Ti: $650 USD

GTX 2080:  $830 USD

GTX 2080 Ti: $1150 USD

6 hours ago, ACG_Archie said:

7nm next year, this 20XX series will be very short lived so I'll give it a miss, especially at these ridiculous prices.

I have a feeling that 7nm is going to be hard to make happen for a little while. AMD's 7nm Vega 20 is really interesting but not oriented towards games or PCs at all and apparently its extremely power hungry and expensive. I've no doubt they will turn 7nm into a reality but I think it'll take a while to iron out the bugs and get the costs under control.

I'll stick with the Aorus 1080Ti that i got last summer. I play in 1440p and at this resolution i can play everything with good performance and quality.

The 2080 Ti will be more interesting for people who play at 4k and want solid performance, without the hassle of SLI.

This is where this cards will make a difference.

I'll skip this generation.

7 hours ago, BeastyBaiter said:

In the USA, the price difference for the biggest online PC parts retailer (newegg) is:

Basically then you have absolutely no reason to buy the 20- series unless money absolutely doesn‘t matter. It is not a competitive product then.

I agree with Jaws2002. Both of my video cards are custom water cooled. The Aorus GTX1080ti WC edition has the water block attached from the factory and I added an EK full waterblock to the Zotac GTX1080.

The 2080 and 2080ti sound great but the price jump is just too much for uncertain gains. Will Il2 even take advantage of ray tracing?

I'll skip to the 7nm generation.

Edited by skline00

On 8/21/2018 at 7:37 PM, RedRider said:

Will negatively impact your ability to spot other aircraft, but it'll be prettier.

You think it will make that big of a difference in spotting? Have you been able to compare these resolutions for yourself?

Edited by Warpig

14 hours ago, Warpig said:

You think it will make that big of a difference in spotting? Have you been able to compare these resolutions for yourself?

I did 4k prior to going VR (Oculus). 4k is abysmal for spotting, I assume 1440p is worse than 1080p.

This has been my experience as well. It's easier to spot in VR than it is at 1440p. Identifying targets after spotting them is a another matter, but seeing them in the first place is easier at lower resolutions. One of the worst things you can do for spotting in VR is to use too much super sampling or AA. Some is needed to deal with the cloud artifacting and readability of cockpit instruments in BoX, but too much will make the aircraft less than 1 pixel and cause them to be blended (anti-aliased) into whatever the background is and simply disappear.

My current 1080p setup is on a 24 inch screen. Do you guys think that 1440p on a 27 or 32 inch would compare to spotting on the smaller 1080p screen?

On 8/23/2018 at 12:08 AM, ACG_Archie said:

You think that they'll release the generation after 20XX at lower prices? To me it looks more like Nvidia is trying to make the price rise permanent by introducing technology their competitor cannot match.

1 hour ago, Warpig said:

My current 1080p setup is on a 24 inch screen. Do you guys think that 1440p on a 27 or 32 inch would compare to spotting on the smaller 1080p screen?

Try this again. 

I have a 32" 1440 and spotting is not an issue.  After refining my math, a 1080 24" and a 1440 32", both with 16:9 aspect ratios, both have ~93 ppi vertical. 

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SCG_VonMiller said:

You think that they'll release the generation after 20XX at lower prices? To me it looks more like Nvidia is trying to make the price rise permanent by introducing technology their competitor cannot match.

Nvidia recognizes pseudo-monopoly status in the PC gaming market and has set their prices accordingly. This isn't sustainable though. There is a ceiling as to how much even a monopoly can charge before the average consumer decides to not upgrade or just by an console instead, which incidentally, use AMD chips as AMD holds a monopoly on consoles. This strikes me as a short term cash grab and nothing more.

The other side of this is the people at Nvidia are bright enough to realize that their about to get leapfrogged by AMD. AMD is moving to 7nm and the Vega 64 is currently on par with the GTX 1080. Given the GTX 2080 and 2080 Ti are merely using a refined form of 16nm, rather than a full new node, it is reasonable to expect AMD to get a bigger performance bump out of their upcoming generation. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw another AMD vs Intel scenario, only with a $600 AMD GPU smoking a $1200 Nvidia one. But we'll see. If anyone can screw it up, it's AMD. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is one of their specialties.:dash:

7 hours ago, SCG_VonMiller said:

I don't think we will see any type of lowering of prices till we get some competition back in the high end market.

LoL, they can sell them lower much lower if they want and still make profits but this only works if they aim for to increase their market share. Since AMD is out of range out of the game they can rise the prices same as intel did before AMD Ryzen. Thanks to Ryzen Intel changed same works with Nvidia if AMD do the same show as with Ryzen with their GPUs............

-> Look how donated mobile phone cpus, oled screen for mobile phones are because everything twists and turns about %% market share.

On 8/24/2018 at 1:02 PM, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Try this again. 

I have a 32" 1440 and spotting is not an issue.  After refining my math, a 1080 24" and a 1440 32", both with 16:9 aspect ratios, both have ~93 ppi vertical. 

Same here on 1440p at 32" with a 1080ti on max everything ultra settings.

Correction, not true 1440p but 3440x1440.

Edited by Kandiru

S!

nVidiots just topped themselves in ridiculous pricing: 1400€ for a 2080Ti! 🙄 I really hope AMD and Intel can put up some stiff competition soonish. I play 2560 x 1080 144Hz at the moment with nice FPS on system that was not much more expensive than a sole 2080Ti 🤪

S!

nVidiots can say whatever percentages they want. It really has no value unless it is known what game/software and at what settings and resolution etc. If your game runs near or over 100fps most of the times in a flight sim and you get say 20fps more. Where do you see it? And do all these new and fancy cores give anything to an IL-2 player for example? Without ray tracing etc I doubt it. And as said it would require quite a bit of work and time from devs to implement, a commodity they do not have...

tl;dr GPU prices have soared way too high due no competition and crypto currency mining and yet not bringing anything REALLY meaningful to the table.

8 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

nVidiots can say whatever percentages they want. It really has no value unless it is known what game/software and at what settings and resolution etc. If your game runs near or over 100fps most of the times in a flight sim and you get say 20fps more. Where do you see it? And do all these new and fancy cores give anything to an IL-2 player for example? Without ray tracing etc I doubt it. And as said it would require quite a bit of work and time from devs to implement, a commodity they do not have...

tl;dr GPU prices have soared way too high due no competition and crypto currency mining and yet not bringing anything REALLY meaningful to the table.

-> Is this not somehow boring? - as long the cards are not out and we can see the benchmarks?

I'll be really suprised if the RTX cards are a lot faster than the Titan V. The Titan V is the only card what we can use to compare first this card is faster than the 1080 Ti not much but it use tensor cores hard to tell is if the driver for the Titan V were optimized for gaming how much more performance increase we could see & expect?

BTW there is a video from Battlefield V where the RTX effects were toned down and it doesn't look like how it was showed in the nvidia shows or techdemos from Battlefield V.

Here take a look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPOZe38OTOM

And as I heared for RTX ray effects they aim FullHD and 60 FPS. Ok 60 FPS sounds good for the moment if you not read the FullHD only part. FullHD and 60 FPS with the 2080 Ti wtf is nvida here thinking?

-> However even WarThunder goes RTX and it use RTX effects only for Global Illumination. Sounds interesting how this look like in the end. And interesting if IL-2 goes RTX, too?

And the nvidia prices sucks

Prices from 470, 570, 670, 770, 970 , 1070, 2070  include -> Price increase & Performance increase

1480695206_470-2070.jpg.5d0aa5dfd1091f67bd2b711dc150b6a5.jpg

Prices from 480, 580, 680, 780, 980 , 1080, 2080  include -> Price increase & Performance increase

964366594_480-2080.jpg.0c958b7e20f810b986ba0c3c3a31e848.jpg

Prices from 780Ti, 980Ti, 1080Ti, 2080Ti  include -> Price increase & Performance increase

1265111048_780Ti-2080Ti.jpg.f663a38505d998103d8ef7fb5f6ba957.jpg

It's going to be 25-35% faster than the 1080Ti. Which imo, is more than marginal.

Im of course not stating that off any specific benchmarks, as there are none, but more so from looking at clock speed/core count differences. Which have historically scaled fairly similarly across architectures. At least since the 700 series.

Also as per Techradar review: https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nvidia geforce rtx 2080 ti

They played Battlefield V and Metro: Exodus with Nvidia RTX turned on, and saw performance run in excess of 100 fps at 4K and Ultra settings.

Who care about all of this.  The big question is whether or not it makes the games more fun to play, and if the cost is worth it to you as an individual.

For example, if you can go from low-ish settings in a Rift running at say 50fps, but with a 2080Ti you can hit 90 fps on Ultra, then is it worth buying it?  For me it would be.  If I were playing on monitor it wouldn't because I have a max 60fps refresh rate and I've managed that for a long time anyway.

I don't know anyone who plays a benchmark.

von Tom

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, von_Tom said:

Who care about all of this.  The big question is whether or not it makes the games more fun to play, and if the cost is worth it to you as an individual.

For example, if you can go from low-ish settings in a Rift running at say 50fps, but with a 2080Ti you can hit 90 fps on Ultra, then is it worth buying it?  For me it would be.  If I were playing on monitor it wouldn't because I have a max 60fps refresh rate and I've managed that for a long time anyway.

I don't know anyone who plays a benchmark.

von Tom

:good:

Yes agree that is what it all boils down to.

5 hours ago, von_Tom said:

but with a 2080Ti you can hit 90 fps on Ultra, then is it worth buying it?  For me it would be

I can assure you that even with the best CPU at 5.0 GHz, you will not mantain 90fps at max settings. Regardless of the GPU.

I managed 90fps (dipping to 88) with a 1080 before the viewing distance was improved along with other graphical changes.  That was on Ultra with everything maxed save for medium shadows and no HDR.

Until somebody gets one we're all guessing anyway, so we'll see won't we.

von Tom  

S!

My FPS with an obsolete and crap AMD card is decent on Ultra. about 80 on  ground and when flying over 100. Ultra and 2560x1080 121Hz.

I agree with @von_Tom 

It all come down to how VR perform with the new card. nVidiots as you call them, rely on customers  willing to buy their product, I believe it is needed for next generation of VR goggles. So I simply have to see the fact that I have bought a obsolete rig for a considerable amount of money,  due to new VR tech. 

invidiots are simply doing what tech has done with us since the early beginning, they make the tech we buy obsolete the moment we buy it, in order to get us to buy new stuff

Edited by LuseKofte

S!

nVidia is doing like any other business, profit. But their pricing for 2080Ti is outrageous from 1390 to 1500€! No way I am buying any of those. That is why there should be some stiff competition on the market. Intel is cooking up something and AMD is releasing 7nm GPU too. Personally looking forward for Navi, or whatever it will be called, from AMD. They seem to have improved a lot slapping Intel to the face in with latest Threadripper etc. Hopefully they have something cooking in GPU market too.

3 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

But their pricing for 2080Ti is outrageous from 1390 to 1500€!

I agree with you, I have no lack of funds , but I never buy stuff if I feel my interest for it not compare to the price. I was buying my new rig for a possible VR usage, but this card and the fact I am not convinced todays VR is good enough make next generation of VR too expensive compared to my interest for it.

I might just settle for todays tech, and give a damn about tomorrows, to me it simply is not worth it, compared to time I spend on this

• Like 1

Well WTH,  I am doing a complete new system build a little later this year anyway.

I just pre-ordered an EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra as my first major component.

S!

I just did. The one in my signature. Had some parts like SSD on the shelf. Shall see how things cook up in a couple of years..