Sign in to follow this  
GTOAviator

Oculus Rift on Ultra - post your settings

Hey all,

Finally got around to setting up the Rift last week and as a pilot IRL, I can say it's one of the most authentic experiences I've ever had in a simulator (excluding full motion). I did experience some slowdowns and "screen tearing", especially while flying around an area of the map with a lot going on. I messed around with the settings for a couple hours and landed on these (see image). 

The game is pretty smooth now and only slows down a little from time to time. I will say that it's difficult to spot far away objects but I attribute this to the Rift's display. Does anyone else have settings that work even better?

Oh and here are my specs -

• i7-4770K
  • GTX1080
  • 16 GB RAM

rift ultra settings.jpg

I would lower the preset to High.

Turn off SSAO and HDR.

Reduce AA to 2x.

Remove the Target FPS, should not be set to a target.

Reduce horizon draw distance to 70 km.

See if you can't get an overall smooth experience.

Edited by dburne

yes I have almost identical hardware, 4970k and 32gb ram, also using a 1080, but I use balanced settings. Looks gorgeous on ultra, but you will get ghosting of close contacts if your frame rate drops making them difficult to ID

one quick questions. In VR, how do you people know when you are about to blackout? I just died in my campagne, and the first few secounds I couldend figure out why I lost control and crashed. So there is no warning for Blackout in VR, what do you all do? Eny mods that bring it in the game?

To be fair IL-2's settings are a mess. The settings I'm using were actually copied from an IL-2 sub-reddit for VR Rift users. Anyway, I did find SCG_Fenris_Wolf's Copy/Paste settings and I'll probably give them a try tonight.

Get the 3dmigoto mod, disable the prop. Turn on frame doubling using rt ctrl+numpad 4. Will really smooth out motion, especially rolling motion.

I'm a pilot IRL as well and I agree. That's why I'm averaging 100+ hours a month in this freaking game. I don't get cannons IRL. Crack cocaine!

3 minutes ago, RedRider said:

Get the 3dmigoto mod, disable the prop. Turn on frame doubling using rt ctrl+numpad 4. Will really smooth out motion, especially rolling motion.

I'm a pilot IRL as well and I agree. That's why I'm averaging 100+ hours a month in this freaking game. I don't get cannons IRL. Crack cocaine!

Frame doubling? First I heard of that?

6 minutes ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

Frame doubling? First I heard of that?

Asynchronous Space Warp. I call it frame doubling, which is probably wrong.

1 hour ago, GTOAviator said:

To be fair IL-2's settings are a mess. The settings I'm using were actually copied from an IL-2 sub-reddit for VR Rift users. Anyway, I did find SCG_Fenris_Wolf's Copy/Paste settings and I'll probably give them a try tonight.

Let me know how they work out. I just got a Rift and will be setting it up Friday.

16GB RAM

980Ti

5 hours ago, RedRider said:

Real pilots ftw 😀 I'll definitely check out the mod. Honestly the only problems I'm having is with distant spotting. 

11 minutes ago, GTOAviator said:

Real pilots ftw 😀 I'll definitely check out the mod. Honestly the only problems I'm having is with distant spotting. 

The mod solves identification, make sure you are using blurred landscape filter to help spotting below. Also, super sampling negatively affects rendering size of distant targets, so there's a tradeoff involved in the better visuals.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, GTOAviator said:

Fenris settings are maybe best ones there is, go for it.

• Thanks 1

I tried Fenri's settings and I got a noticeable FPS dip from 45 to 35 with ASW on. I reverted everything to default and only installed 3dMigoto and disabled the prop, and turned HDR/SSAO/AA off. Solid 45 FPS. Not really a fan of having mods installed, though. I'm more of a default settings guy. Before I started doing these tweaks, I felt everything worked fine as it was. I was just looking for a little bit more clarity for distant friend/foe identification, but after doing further reading it seems a lot of folks have the same issues in VR with the current resolutions. If I get behind a plane, I can normally tell by the radiator configuration.

I could get higher FPS if I turned the compact HUD off, but I like the technical messages and chat online and in career (I don't speak German/Russian yet).

I do find it is easier to spot planes in VR than it is on a 2D 24" monitor, and it's quite a dose of realism to have to get close to a plane to identify it. I couldn't see flying without VR now. I think I spent far too many hours in it this weekend, and my eyes have been twitching all night at work.

Edited by Artunius

Artunius, you might want to scale down the settings depending on the performance your hardware generates. 

Safe landings everyone! 😁 

I did a fresh install and left everything default and things are fine now. I'm not really a fan of tweaking games when my hardware handles them just fine on the standard settings. It would be nice if we could toggle off the prop for VR without the 3DMigoto mod (game option). That's really my only gripe in regards to VR.

11 minutes ago, Artunius said:

I did a fresh install and left everything default and things are fine now. I'm not really a fan of tweaking games when my hardware handles them just fine on the standard settings. It would be nice if we could toggle off the prop for VR without the 3DMigoto mod (game option). That's really my only gripe in regards to VR.

I run no mods - ever.

My performance is very good, and dang I sure would miss having a prop.

On my Rift I just turn ASW off, no prop strangeness at all.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

I run no mods - ever.

I might snag a 1080Ti since they just went on sale, and will drop in the coming weeks before the 2080 comes out, probably best to get out of ASW.

One thing I found out is that SteamVR now has auto-supersampling turned on by default, which can stack with Oculus Tray Tool SS. It's caused a lot of performance issues for some people, I saw a pic on how to turn it off over on Reddit: https://imgur.com/WmdYGGz

Edited by Artunius

1 hour ago, Artunius said:

I might snag a 1080Ti since they just went on sale, and will drop in the coming weeks before the 2080 comes out, probably best to get out of ASW.

One thing I found out is that SteamVR now has auto-supersampling turned on by default, which can stack with Oculus Tray Tool SS. It's caused a lot of performance issues for some people, I saw a pic on how to turn it off over on Reddit: https://imgur.com/WmdYGGz

Yeah I have that turned off as well.

5 hours ago, dburne said:

I run no mods - ever.

You don't play multplayer so the mod is pretty pointless.

5 hours ago, Artunius said:

The mod enables you to zoom in 5x and 10x, allowing you to identify distant planes or even ones not so distant much easier, I don't use the prop part of it, the color correction also adds back some much needed color to the oculus rift since the display is so dull.

It's not really a mod in so much as it's necessary to do even decently in multiplayer. It's pretty much a requirement for me at this point.

Also there's a lot of misinformation in this thread, leaving the game at default settings with a VR setup is just asking for problems.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

10 minutes ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

You don't play multplayer so the mod is pretty pointless.

The mod enables you to zoom in 5x and 10x, allowing you to identify distant planes or even ones not so distant much easier, I don't use the prop part of it, the color correction also adds back some much needed color to the oculus rift since the display is so dull.

It's not really a mod in so much as it's necessary to do even decently in multiplayer. It's pretty much a requirement for me at this point.

Also there's a lot of misinformation in this thread, leaving the game at default settings with a VR setup is just asking for problems.

Can you map the 5x zoom to a joystick key or do you have to use the keyboard macros?

I just bought like six RTX 2080Ti's to sell, so I think I might keep one for VR purposes. I think I'll be able to do ultra settings with that just fine.

48 minutes ago, Artunius said:

Can you map the 5x zoom to a joystick key or do you have to use the keyboard macros?

I just bought like six RTX 2080Ti's to sell, so I think I might keep one for VR purposes. I think I'll be able to do ultra settings with that just fine.

You need to use a prgram called joytokey to map one of your joystick buttons to a keyboard button, I have both the 10x and the 5x mapped to my hotas. Just got done killing some germans in a p-39 online using it. It's absolutely crucial. How did you order 6? It's a 2 limit per customer. Plus they arent shipping till late september so you will be waiting a while.

19 minutes ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

You need to use a prgram called joytokey to map one of your joystick buttons to a keyboard button, I have both the 10x and the 5x mapped to my hotas. Just got done killing some germans in a p-39 online using it. It's absolutely crucial. How did you order 6? It's a 2 limit per customer. Plus they arent shipping till late september so you will be waiting a while.

Ah, I'm familiar with the program. I'll have to look into it.

My wife and I got four, just limit two per person not per household. My dad wanted to flip a couple too. The stock will probably run out entirely before X-mas, and the BTC miners will drive the MSRP up anyways. I've flipped cars (couple C7 Vettes/and a Nissan GT-R when they first came out), Nintendos, etc. Flipped the Rifts when they first came out. Easy money. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

18 hours ago, Artunius said:

so I think I might keep one for VR purposes

Seems you will be one of the first to test the new 2080Ti with IL-2 in VR (Rift I assume).

I read you have also decent CPU (4790K). Do you overclock?

I would be interested in knowing how your rig perform with the old vs. new GPU.

I you have some spare time, could you follow this instructions to run a IL-2 VR test:

1 minute ago, chiliwili69 said:

Seems you will be one of the first to test the new 2080Ti with IL-2 in VR (Rift I assume).

I read you have also decent CPU (4790K). Do you overclock?

I would be interested in knowing how your rig perform with the old vs. new GPU.

I you have some spare time, could you follow this instructions to run a IL-2 VR test:

I'm backordered a bit on the new GPU, but I am perhaps interested in OC'ing the 4790K. I looked into some new CPU's and they didn't seem quite worth it just yet, even if I was going with a new mobo for 32GB of 3200MHz RAM. Did you notice a big performance increase when you OC'ed to 4.9GHz on the 4790K?

On 8/22/2018 at 10:52 PM, Artunius said:

Did you notice a big performance increase when you OC'ed to 4.9GHz on the 4790K?

Since the fps counter in the screen is very dependent on the scene, plane, planes around, etc... we have a benchmark to measure improvements in an objective way.

In monitor the gain was about 2.5 fps for every 0.1 GHz (Balapan track):

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29881-overclocking-a-4790k-for-better-bos-performance/?do=findComment&comment=485112

In monitor the gain was about 2 fps for every 0.1 GHz (Samuel track):

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29322-measuring-rig-performance-common-baseline-for-il-2-v3/?do=findComment&comment=603630

In VR the gain was about 1.5 fps for every 0.1 GHz (Balapan track):

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29881-overclocking-a-4790k-for-better-bos-performance/?do=findComment&comment=485296

If you have a good CPU cooler it is just a free gain (well not totally free since you consume some more extra watts...).

12 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

Since the fps counter in the screen is very dependent on the scene, plane, planes around, etc... we have a benchmark to measure improvements in an objective way.

In monitor the gain was about 2.5 fps for every 0.1 GHz (Balapan track):

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29881-overclocking-a-4790k-for-better-bos-performance/?do=findComment&comment=485112

In monitor the gain was about 2 fps for every 0.1 GHz (Samuel track):

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29322-measuring-rig-performance-common-baseline-for-il-2-v3/?do=findComment&comment=603630

In VR the gain was about 1.5 fps for every 0.1 GHz (Balapan track):

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29881-overclocking-a-4790k-for-better-bos-performance/?do=findComment&comment=485296

If you have a good CPU cooler it is just a free gain (well not totally free since you consume some more extra watts...).

I've been liquid cooled for about 3 years, but never took the time to OC this CPU. It's served me well but I'm probably going to move up to the 9th gen Intel when it's out. I'm not in any rush because I'm going to be in the middle of a move when I get my 2080Ti anyways.