-[HRAF]BubiHUN

KNIGHTS OF THE AIR Multiplayer Server

My squad stopped flying KOTA when it went to alternative and were thinking we may have to give up on all MP servers until the devs come up with a fix for the 40km arcade view in Alternative but luckily Combat Box is currently using Normal settings so I can only hope they stay that way.

• Upvote 2

Personally, I have to say that both visual settings are not perfect.

The alternative visibility has its quirks, for me (as for many others certainly) the contacts over very long distances which one notices inevitably. But the sun plays almost everytime aan important role in those cases. Otherwise you don't see even the far away contacts when they are in the shade. Also the scaling is unhappy and too large, which I consider disturbing. It would be great if they would change these aspects in the alternative visibility, but it is still better than the expert mode.  For example, just earlier one of my squadron mates had some Germans around him. I knew theoretically where he was and he had navigation lights on. However he and these were only "suddenly" plopped up. That was estimated at a little more than 10 kilometers. Around the time then also the other contacts became visible. Altogether it is like before the whole time to zoom in and out randomly in order to spy an opponent at the right moment. If that is now the big improvement, then I am disappointed. I understand the criticism, but I prefer to fly without blindfolds. Because even with the alternative visibility, spotting is not a gifted and that easy what some people trying to state here.

Edited by 6FG_Big_Al
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

My squad stopped flying KOTA when it went to alternative and were thinking we may have to give up on all MP servers until the devs come up with a fix for the 40km arcade view in Alternative but luckily Combat Box is currently using Normal settings so I can only hope they stay that way.

Alter Vis is turned off now...

I Fly Central made a brand new awesome video, recorded on KOTA. 

6 hours ago, 6FG_Big_Al said:

Personally, I have to say that both visual settings are not perfect.

I agree with you. I dont like the normal, nor the alter vis.
Let's wait for a fix - if there will be any.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, 6FG_Big_Al said:

even with the alternative visibility, spotting is not a gifted and that easy what some people trying to state here.

You are right.

Some people think that the only realistic setting is when they see and the rest of players doesn't see - something like the low graphic setting exploit users in WT and RO2.

Having the third spotting range option (something between "realistic" and alternative) would solve the problem.

Edited by Ropalcz
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Ropalcz said:

Having the third spotting range option (something between "realistic" and alternative) would solve the problem.

I agree. Ideally I would like to see a little further than 'Normal' gives us but only in terms of their being a 'dot' visible further out (maybe 15-20km?).   Making a giant plane visible at 40k that shrinks as it gets closer until it vanishes is a crazy idea.  I abandoned DCS a few years ago but they also had a mode where you saw giant aircraft in the distance and that was just as horrible.   Why did 1C copy them?

• Upvote 1

We made a Poll about the Visibility subject. We would like to read all of your opinion about this, and please leave your votes!

Edited by -[HRAF]BubiHUN
  • Upvote 2

Now that Kota has changed to normal, Finnish VP seems to be the only server suited for us losers who can't cope the 'realism' of seeing nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LLv24_Zami said:

suited for us losers who can't cope the 'realism' of seeing nothing.

We arent losers, we are tired of 5 years of bad spotting. Again: Enemy in this pic is 1.38 km away. Can you see him? 😄
https://imgur.com/a/QBY24P9

10 minutes ago, Spicysauced said:

We arent losers, we are tired of 5 years of bad spotting. Again: Enemy in this pic is 1.38 km away. Can you see him? 😄
https://imgur.com/a/QBY24P9

That's a horrible low res jpeg artifact filled photo. Why does everyone post the worst pictures when they say CAN YOU SEE THIS PLANE!!?? My fridge has a nicer picture quality.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

That's a horrible low res jpeg artifact filled photo.

Ha, no! Its just a cutout of a full 1080p screenshot. The image has not been resized nor altered in any way. THIS is how IL2 looks like on my normal 1080p monitor with alternate spotting off. 

Edited by Spicysauced

8 minutes ago, Spicysauced said:

Ha, no! Its just a cutout of a full 1080p screenshot. The image has not been resized nor altered in any way. THIS is how IL2 looks like on my normal 1080p monitor with alternate spotting off. 

You need a new monitor cause that looks like a screens hit in 240p

7 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

You need a new monitor

Ah sure, its my system. Cant be game-/engine related at all ...
The monitor is a iiyama black hawk 75 hz monitor, its perfectly fine for any other game. Before you blame it on other components of my system, my graphics cards is a Vega 56, my CPU is a Ryzen 2700x. 
Just accept it. This is how IL2 looks on the moscow map with an enemy exactly 1.38 km away. 

Here, my expert spotter. There he is: https://imgur.com/a/Y8RV2Mw

Btw, interesting how you came to the idea to blame it on my monitor although I clearly stated its a screenshot, which is not affected by monitor quaility at all. 
Trying to find excuses is not easy .. is it? 

Edited by Spicysauced

So, does this "alternate" setting magnify even planes that are something like 1-2 km away?  Or how does it help spotting planes from 1.38 km?

Edited by II./JG77_Kemp

From what I understand no. What it does is magnify planes that are farther away, so one can actually build up situational awareness with the result, that these sneak attacks cant happen so easily in the first place, since you see planes at 10km+ in their magnified shape. When you let a plane sneak up on you like that with alternate on, its your (my) fault alone and not engine related anymore, since you could have easily spotted him earlier on. 

.. And since planes in the vicinity arent affected at all, even the "muh realism" guys normally dont have anything to complain about. 
With alternate, its just so that there is actually a visible and actually noticeable (!) difference between a 8-12 km dot and a 1 km dot, even against the ground.
(Guess thats the reason why the occasional bomber pilot is complaining, 'cause he cant deliver his payload unseen anymore.)

Edited by Spicysauced
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Spicysauced said:

And since planes in the vicinity arent affected at all ...

So, what does this example of spotting from 1.38 km have to do with alternate vs realistic, if there is no difference between these options in these ranges?

Personally I would be happy, if devs would find a way to make close contacts not disappear over forests etc so easily, but I think that amplifying planes to unnatural sizes beyond 10 km does not help in that area.

12 minutes ago, Spicysauced said:

actually noticeable (!) difference between ... 1 km dot, even against the ground

So, there is some actual difference in spotting close contacts over ground or not? Seriously curious.

4 minutes ago, II./JG77_Kemp said:

So, what does this example of spotting from 1.38 km have to do with alternate vs realistic, if there is no difference between these options in these ranges?

The difference and how this affects the game in general is stated in my comment above. Read it:
"What it does is magnify planes that are farther away, so one can actually build up situational awareness with the result, that these sneak attacks cant happen so easily in the first place, since you see planes at 10km+ in their magnified shape. When you let a plane sneak up on you like that with alternate on, its your (my) fault alone and not engine related anymore, since you could have easily spotted him earlier on. "

4 minutes ago, II./JG77_Kemp said:

Personally I would be happy, if devs would find a way to make close contacts not disappear over forests etc so easily,

THAT is very true indeed.

Edited by Spicysauced

4 hours ago, Ropalcz said:

You are right.

Some people think that the only realistic setting is when they see and the rest of players doesn't see - something like the low graphic setting exploit users in WT and RO2.

I think this alternative system is currently the best they can offer in terms of better spotting. 

I dont like it because planes look like white butterflies far off. And if you dive into them you soon run into the same spotting problem and likely to loose sight on the target. While he see you above. And you lost altitude for nothing also the advantage. 

In my point of view it only make you able to see unrealistic big planes from far distance. 

It simply make it look cheap. 

The only “improved” thing it does is spot a bomber that is easily spotted coming closer  and make it utter pointless flying them. 

So in my opinion alt system is a truly border between dogfight server and objective oriented server 

Edited by LuseKofte

16 minutes ago, Spicysauced said:

(Guess thats the reason why the occasional bomber pilot is complaining, 'cause he cant deliver his payload unseen anymore.)

No, I think bomber pilots are complaining because their planes can be easily spotted from unrealistic ranges, due to this amplifying effect. Bombers were spotted in 1-2 km ranges even with the old bubble, so that is not their issue.

22 hours ago, Spicysauced said:

Guess thats the reason why the occasional bomber pilot is complaining, 'cause he cant deliver his payload unseen anymore.)

Your [removed so I dont have to apologize to every person in the community. It was a remark I should not made]

or never tried flying a bomber. While 2 out if 3 flights was intercepted before they all are with current system. 

Look a little beyond your nose and think gameplay and not just your lust to kill easy targets. You obviously do not want to fly dogfight servers and fight on equal terms. 

You want to boost your ego and shoot down easy targets. 

Luckily combatbox have switched back to expert so there are still servers to fly on

Edited by LuseKofte

13 minutes ago, Spicysauced said:

The difference and how this affects the game in general is stated in my comment above. Read it:
"What it does is magnify planes that are farther away, so one can actually build up situational awareness with the result, that these sneak attacks cant happen so easily in the first place, since you see planes at 10km+ in their magnified shape.

Yes, I have understood that some people find it more fun that way, I just did not understand the relevance of the 1.38 km spotting picture  in the realistic vs alternate discussion and was wondering if there was an actual difference in those ranges or not. Still not sure of it, as the answers were "no difference" and "spotting over ground is easier", which sounds like a big difference.

20 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

Your either very stupid or never tried flying a bomber. While 2 out if 3 flights was intercepted before they all are with current system. 

Look a little beyond your nose and think gameplay and not just your lust to kill easy targets. You obviously do not want to fly dogfight servers and fight on equal terms. 

You want to boost your ego and shoot down easy targets

Dont be so unfriendly. I am a friend of very clear language too, but I do not insult people like this.

To your so called arguments:
I am not a bomber pilot, that is true. I find it boring to start, press a button over the target and return to base if possible, while AI gunners shoot for me. 
This is personal taste only. You want to fly bombers, fine with me. But dont complain when your 2 houseblocks wide plane is getting spotted and shot at. 

About "To look beyond my nose". No. Why should I? I dont have a "democratic resposibility" or something like that to vote in everyones favor or responsibility to make a good decision for everyone here, I do vote in MY favor alone, since I am the one who is playing. You do your vote, i do mine. 
Easy targets? Well, since alternate allows a fighter to spot a potential enemy from much greater ranges than before, its your fault alone if you are presented to me as an easy target. btw, when alternate was enabled at Kota, I didnt shoot a single bomber, just fighters (just in case that makes you feel a little better).
About "fight on equal terms"
How is it not equal? Everyone can see everyone from the same ranges. I you do complain however that your bomber(?) is a sitting duck against a plane diving on you with 800kmh and equipped with cannons,  I have to shake my head. 

12 minutes ago, II./JG77_Kemp said:

Yes, I have understood that some people find it more fun that way, I just did not understand the relevance of the 1.38 km spotting picture  in the realistic vs alternate discussion and was wondering if there was an actual difference in those ranges or not. Still not sure of it, as the answers were "no difference" and "spotting over ground is easier", which sounds like a big difference.

Maybe I wasnt clear enough, I apologize.
What I meant is, in short: 
- Very close range spotting didnt change
- BUT: Since you can spot targets from much farther away, you can keep track of them until they are actually close, develop SA of friends/foes in the area

Before it was like that: You saw a contact over ground from say 8 km away (if youre lucky). You just saw that one plane. You decide to dive on him, turns out theres a whole enemy armada there, you get shot by planes you never saw ehen you were observing the situation from above. 
With the new spotting this changed. You can see all the planes BEFORE you make the decision to engage and can actually think about this decision with all variables clearly presented to you on screen "upfront". 

Edited by Spicysauced
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Spicysauced said:

Dont be so unfriendly.

Your right. I am sorry but your remark was just incredibly out of proportion. 

I am not a bad fighter pilot but I do not fly in squad. And flying alone in a fighter is to me boring, fruitless and unhistorical. I am in ww 2 flightsim only for one reason. Historical aviation. Flying a bomber in enemy territory and try to get to target above clouds with little to none landmarks is a challenge I like.  

Getting there unspotted in expert is hard enough, and kota have excluded me  by using alternative setting. I just hope for at least one server still using expert. This way we all get pleased. 

Again I was out of order and please accept my apology. Heat of the moment thing really. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LuseKofte said:

I am not a bad fighter pilot but I do not fly in squad.

Same for me mate. I always fly alone. 

2 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

am in ww 2 flightsim only for one reason. Historical aviation.

And theres the difference. I am in here for fun. I know a lot about planes, their behavior, their quirks, etc. but ultimately I am not here for diehard realism, its the fun that keeps me going.

3 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

and kota have excluded me  by using alternative setting

.. and they included me when they used it. Thats how it works I guess. 

4 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

Again I was out of order and please accept my apology. Heat of the moment thing really. 

Its alright, accpeted. Its just a typical internet thing too Im afraid, we both have two different opinions and we cant convince each other. After all though, we share the same niche hobby :)

4 minutes ago, Spicysauced said:

ts alright, accpeted.

Thanks. If you fly DCS you will find me in my fat slow MI 8 helicopter. Usually dead within 10 minutes too. 

I guess I need cover 

5 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

Thanks. If you fly DCS you will find me in my fat slow MI 8 helicopter. Usually dead within 10 minutes too. 

I guess I need cover 

I do play DCS, but I can never finds helis (bad spotting 😄

Jason have said that this is the best they can do at the moment. He also expressed ambitions on a rebuild of game engine. Something that probably render this problem pointless. 

and one have to accept the choices server-owners do.  So I will cave in and simply accept status quo  

4 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

Jason have said that this is the best they can do at the moment.

Well, thats also what devs of IL2 kept telling us for years and years. Sometimes you gotta poke devs to remind them to improve the existing game instead of pumping out new toys. It will pay off over time. Dont give up :)

I don't have an opinion on Alternate Visibility, but ... Do it the way you think it looks most real. Don't put to a vote, these things ... need to be chosen very calmly ... I think it's good to try this Alternate and draw conclusions after a while of experimentation

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

Your either very stupid or never tried flying a bomber. While 2 out if 3 flights was intercepted before they all are with current system. 

You want to boost your ego and shoot down easy targets. 

Luckily combatbox have switched back to expert so there are still servers to fly on

If you fly solo in a bomber, you are basically dead. In real life, flying solo in a bomber over the frontline would be a one way ticket. 

Insulting other players won't help you, you just look ridiculous.

Advertising other server in this thread is really funny from you.

• Upvote 1

Want the new "normal" spotting? Go play Warthunder.  There's a reason the FAA has made ADSB out mandatory. It's really friggin' hard to spot anything outside the 20° vertical cone at your altitude. Close, far, doesnt matter.  The only thing the normal vis system does is artificially blows up contacts at long distance. It looks like plastic models are floating in space, so much so that you can tell which model of 109 it is from 30+km away - purely ridiculous.

• Like 1

Sad to see that AS is switched off again, we had good fun the last days, today was really a huge step back

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Valkyrie77 said:

Why no Rhineland map ? 

Theyre working hard...
As in the popular saying of my land: "O apressado come cru" or The hurried eats raw 
A map needs to be well developed to avoid bugs that many players complain about from Rheinland ... Like anti-aircraft shooting under the ground or other things ... besides it's a heavy map it will take a lot of work to develop a good mission

Lets wait and see... 

14 hours ago, =LD=dhyran said:

Sad to see that AS is switched off again, we had good fun the last days, today was really a huge step back

It is not switched off. Just a few missions running without it in a test period. 

15 hours ago, Ropalcz said:

If you fly solo in a bomber, you are basically dead. In real life, flying solo in a bomber over the frontline would be a one way ticket. 

Insulting other players won't help you, you just look ridiculous.

Advertising other server in this thread is really funny from you.

I did apologize. Do you need one too?  
and your wrong. Without escort many bombers will only add to the risk being spotted. Besides I do not mind being spotted and shot down. The risk involved is part of the fun. In FC alternative spotting play a minor role. The bombers there got almost the same speed as the fighters and are more a positive factor albeit annoying. In ww2 no matter distance spotted your dead. After spending 45 minutes of climbing it is frustrating getting shot down because of a cheat 
I accept the majority want alternative spotting and have moved on. 
But still to me it just look ridiculous and in the end serves no purpose 

Edited by LuseKofte

16 hours ago, =BES=Savage-6 said:

Want the new "normal" spotting? Go play Warthunder.

Oh, sorry Im not 3L1Te enough for this game. Seriously? Stick these kind of sentences and elitist behaviour to the dark place where they belong. You are not a better pilot or player or human because you prefer IL2 GB over something else. One can hear the look-down-at-attitude of yours from miles away. 
I might aswell play Il2 CloD, where spotting also never was an issue, mysteriously. 

16 hours ago, =BES=Savage-6 said:

There's a reason the FAA has made ADSB out mandatory.

Ah right. We all remember this system from WW2 prop planes. These systems are for closure speeds much higher than in IL2, exceeding Mach. Dont compare apples and oranges. Take this logic to DCS jet combat, no need to spot at all, just look at radar blips. Must be super easy right? Give me a break. 

Once and for all: Hard/Bad spotting ≠ Good simulation.

Edited by Spicysauced
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spicysauced said:

Oh, sorry Im not 3L1Te enough for this game. Seriously? Stick these kind of sentences and elitist behaviour to the dark place where they belong. You are not a better pilot or player or human because you prefer IL2 GB over something else. One can hear the look-down-at-attitude of yours from miles away. 
I might aswell play Il2 CloD, where spotting also never was an issue, mysteriously. 

Ah right. We all remember this system from WW2 prop planes. These systems are for closure speeds much higher than in IL2, exceeding Mach. Dont compare apples and oranges. Take this logic to DCS jet combat, no need to spot at all, just look at radar blips. Must be super easy right? Give me a break. 

Once and for all: Hard/Bad spotting ≠ Good simulation.

ADSB Out is for all aircraft in controlled airspace. Closure speed has nothing to do with it, considering two C172s have a 200kt closure speed (nowhere near mach btw).

I'm not an elitist. My stats wouldn't let me be.  But I don't want a good sim dumbed down because you have the SA of a pumpkin. 

Rather, I'd prefer a happy medium of pre-patch and the "normal" system.  I think the new "expert" system is closer to correct than the other.

Once and for all: Easy/Unrealistic spotting ≠ Good simulation.

Edited by =BES=Savage-6

31 minutes ago, =BES=Savage-6 said:

you have the SA of a pumpkin

Guess your username checks out, except its not a the good kind of savage. If you cant make a post without insulting others, just let me know, then its senseless to have further discussion.

31 minutes ago, =BES=Savage-6 said:

Once and for all: Easy/Unrealistic spotting ≠ Good simulation.

Nope. The whole equation goes like this: Easy spotting + good flight models + nice maps + up to date graphics engine + stable MP environment =  good simulation
Of which we currently dont have point 1, 4 and partly 5. 

I am not 100% happy with how alternate spotting looks like, but its SOOO much better than what we've had all the years before. If they would decrease amplification of planes by 50% at distance I would still be happy, but if I had to decide (and I have to) between normal (bad) spotting and the new one, Id take alternate any day. 

Edited by Spicysauced

Looks like the vote is pretty much even. I think it was expected. Tough one for server admins.

STUTTERS ONLINE

hello

when playing online i 'm having stutters when looking out of the cockpit , i am using track Ir , smooth to maximum , my FPS is very good always above 100- 120 , can someone pls give me some tips or where to look to remove this problem . tks in advance . 

1 minute ago, dog1 said:

STUTTERS ONLINE

hello

when playing online i 'm having stutters when looking out of the cockpit , i am using track Ir , smooth to maximum , my FPS is very good always above 100- 120 , can someone pls give me some tips or where to look to remove this problem . tks in advance . 

Hi there!
Use "Fast" option when you turn on V-Sync ONLY in Nvidia Control Panel, helped me a little bit.