-[HRAF]BubiHUN

KNIGHTS OF THE AIR Multiplayer Server

3 hours ago, SCG_Faerber said:

Great argument! Don't agree with you? Sycophants!! No Lifers!! Exploiters!! Cry Babies!! Really mature. Eitherway, as I said before all of this; I have heard people saying it works like X, others saying it works like Y and I don't even know anymore, will test by myself when I get the chance; until then I will just say that I am up for whatever solution brings a more realistic feel for the game, even if its just a casual game for all of you I've spent money enough to think of it being a little more. 

muh realism and muh filthy casuals... This game is a simulation. If you focus on the latter, you forget the former. I too have spent many hundreds on gear and DLC, I can finally enjoy flying about now that I can see where I ought to be focusing my attention. As someone else said, now there is less time spent chasing specs around and more time actually fighting. That is why I play this game, to experience the thrill of combat. The sim aspects are great, but if I just wanted to fly about in a plane, I would choose another game

One thing I know... KOTA is a very realistic server. This eventually away players who want some easy support like to be guided on the map. But ... good players stay and they like realism

• Upvote 2

Realism - Yes.

Realism on KOTA - Yes.

Is normal vissibility more realistic then alternate one? - I dont think so, just my opinion so far, need more time playing and comparing. I dont even think, that normal option is same like before 3.201 patch. Actually, for me (1440p, IPS, G-Sync) much worse than pre 3.201. I cant see planes now. Yes, alternate visibillity is weird while zooming for instance, but i bellieve, they will tune it somehow... Just now, after thursday playing with normal and friday playing with alternate, friday was much better and more realistic.

• Upvote 1

When talking about realism, it should be remembered that we are trying to find targets on the flat screen (or VR goggles). That is not very realistic to begin with. It might come as a shock to some but this is a game after all.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, SCG_Sinerox said:

This spotting discussion shouldn't even be a thing. IL2 is supposed to be a simulator, trying in its best capacity to recreate what pilots went through in the air war. The touching up the dev team made to fix up-scaling was the right call if you value realism. I know several pilots who have told me that spotting in RL is  difficult even when ATC gives you a heading of a contact and essentially what direction to look for said contact it can be extremely difficult to see it still. Being able to see 15-20km is realistic, and that is the name of the game for IL2. Realism. So shall we become closer to War Thunder or be what Il2 is meant to be... Thats really the question.

You do realize that because the devs call it the less realistic option doesnt actually mean it is right? Also using alternate spotting for me it least is about getting more realistic spotting in closer, and i dont care if that causes some too far contacts to be in view to easy. Realisim wise, too much spotting is better than too little.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

What are the best graphics settings for seeing contacts please? What settings are critical for this matter. Really struggling to see contacts here. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Tasmanaut said:

muh realism and muh filthy casuals... This game is a simulation. If you focus on the latter, you forget the former. I too have spent many hundreds on gear and DLC, I can finally enjoy flying about now that I can see where I ought to be focusing my attention. As someone else said, now there is less time spent chasing specs around and more time actually fighting. That is why I play this game, to experience the thrill of combat. The sim aspects are great, but if I just wanted to fly about in a plane, I would choose another game

You misinterpret me on purpose. Never called anyone a casual and I just said I will wait and see. You make a good point there, but tbh it doesn't prove or disprove anything but your personal preference and your spotting problems. Seeing a plane from 20km is pretty good and I like that, don't take me wrong, however the planes are too balooney when far away, It just makes it too easy  and kinda trippy imo, I believe the devs can reach a sweetspot although it seems the havent reached one yet. This will be my final post on the matter, feel free to continue calling me names and all your hearts desires.

Edited by SCG_Faerber
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Valkyrie77 said:

What are the best graphics settings for seeing contacts please? What settings are critical for this matter. Really struggling to see contacts here. 

Try this:
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/49629-3000-steps-condensed-into-one-simple-performance-guide/

Let's see how much the new update changed some settings. But that guide is good AND offers good explanations for the function of all those settings.

It's pretty clear the alternative option  is the more favorable option based on comments alone. 

• Upvote 4

I don't mind which setting people prefer for spotting.  I know the setting I like.  I don't think a person is "wrong thinking" for having a different opinion. I do have a problem when I voice my opinion and people who disagree with me try to lay that dick on me.  I don't do that to people who I disagree with but, I certainly do reserve the right to disagree. 

Plain and simple, I will be visiting servers that have the setting(s) I like more than ones that don't.  It has nothing to do with a perceived "quality of player" or who supposedly needs to alter their opinion to match mine.   

• Upvote 1

My only issue with the pre-hotfix spotting was the extreme range spotting. Sitting some 30 or 40 Km laterally, and another 4-5 vertically, and being able to watch ground operations on the other team's spawn field while still being over the target I was defending was too much. That seems to have been toned down, somewhat, in this alternate view range setting, or I just haven't been paying close enough attention to distant air fields. I suppose this could be mitigated, if it is in fact still the case, by pushing the spawn fields further back from the line. Longer transit flights, sure, but more tactical options due to not having your whole flight observed starting from taxi.

For what it is worth, the post hotfix spotting wasn't as dire as some were making it out; at least not in my experiance. I was still spotting planes, under the right conditions, at ranges I'd estimate were 20-25 Km. And from what I have learned in reading and talking to some pilots I know, that is about as far out as one would expect to see a plane as small as many we are dealing with in game. On occasion I was catching glimpses of planes at longer ranges but they were larger, 110's and 38's mostly, and then only when they turned in such a way that would cause light to reflect off of them. I found it rather amusing that people were making proclamations of the game being 'unplayable' but maybe it is a quark of their particular set up. I don't know.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, /SF/Disarray said:

I found it rather amusing that people were making proclamations of the game being 'unplayable' but maybe it is a quark of their particular set up. I don't know.

May I ask what display are you using?

Posted (edited)

Here's a practical outcome, rather than opinion, on the use of the alternate visibility option on this server:

I was flying fairly distant 9 o'clock line-abreast with the 56RAF CO on KOTA last night the night before last, when I saw him being bounced from his 6 or 7 o'clock - so I called a warning and he broke.

It turned out that it was a much more distant 'plane that was magnified by the alternate visibility setting and the aircraft was much further away than I thought.

I have a lot of sympathy with the devs trying to find a recipe that works for many different resolutions, screen and VR - it may not even be possible.

But this experience has convinced me that (for my setup, 1080p on a 27" fast refresh monitor) the alternate visibility option is not realistic.

56RAF_phoenix

Edited by 56RAF_phoenix56
wrong evening
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, 56RAF_phoenix56 said:

But this experience has convinced me that (for my setup, 1080p on a 27" fast refresh monitor) the alternate visibility option is not realistic.

56RAF_phoenix

That`s the key. On my setup the normal visibility option is not realistic.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LLv24_Zami said:

That`s the key. On my setup the normal visibility option is not realistic.

What’s not realistic about the normal visibility option for you? Planes should only be readily apparent up to max 3-5km. Anything further and most of the time you will not see them, they are tiny and the light has to catch it right/your eye has to simply get lucky picking up a tiny contact. 

This leads to a realistic pace of air combat.

(edit, for those who will misrepresent what I said, I’m not saying you can’t see a plane at 25km, I’m just saying the odds are extremely low and it’s gonna be just a speck)

Edited by SCG_Wulfe

11 minutes ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

What’s not realistic about the normal visibility option for you? Planes should only be readily apparent up to max 3-5km. Anything further and most of the time you will not see them, they are tiny and the light has to catch it right/your eye has to simply get lucky picking up a tiny contact. 

This leads to a realistic pace of air combat.

(edit, for those who will misrepresent what I said, I’m not saying you can’t see a plane at 25km, I’m just saying the odds are extremely low and it’s gonna be just a speck)

I don`t know if you`ve read any of my posts on the issue. I`m okay with any spotting range as long it`s same to everyone. I can`t spot as far as the guys with lower resolution. It`s unrealistic because it`s depending on different setups, nothing more.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, LLv24_Zami said:

I don`t know if you`ve read any of my posts on the issue. I`m okay with any spotting range as long it`s same to everyone. I can`t spot as far as the guys with lower resolution. It`s unrealistic because it`s depending on different setups, nothing more.

But inflating the plane size does not remove this discrepancy, guys with lower res will still see them even larger and even sooner before you. Currently in VR I can see planes in the alternate setting across most of a map. It also means guys with lower resolution will still be able to ID way before you. It doesn’t solve the issue, it just shifts it enough that you can see maybe a bit more than you used to and the guys with lower resolution see way way more. The advantage becomes so great that ww2 tactics really go out the window and it becomes one big furball. Not to mention, it almost completely removes the ability of bombers to sneak into targets. (I’m singularly a fighter pilot)

Edited by SCG_Wulfe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, LLv24_Zami said:

May I ask what display are you using?

I'm using an Asus 1440p monitor with a 144Ghz refresh rate. I run the game at native res.

• Thanks 1

I try and get on the KOTA server as much as I can, I'm pretty new as I've had IL2 great battles for about a week now.  Do the pilots ever work together? When I first log on, you see guys hop in their aircraft and shoot off in a million different directions. Is there no team work?   I see a bunch of Tempests and P-38's fly off by themselves, wouldn't it be more effective to plan an attack with a wing of bomb carrying planes with CAP fighter protection, and wouldn't that be more realistic?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/6/2019 at 11:34 PM, 56RAF_phoenix56 said:

It turned out that it was a much more distant 'plane that was magnified by the alternate visibility setting and the aircraft was much further away than I thought.

this is the one and only flaw in the system, its obvious and an easy thing to point out. But here' the thing. You can check if its far away by the blurriness, and by zooming you can also see if it doesn't magnify. I figured this out pretty quick, its not really that hard to work around the system. The benefits far outweigh this one con

4 hours ago, HarleyDavidson said:

I try and get on the KOTA server as much as I can, I'm pretty new as I've had IL2 great battles for about a week now.  Do the pilots ever work together? When I first log on, you see guys hop in their aircraft and shoot off in a million different directions. Is there no team work?   I see a bunch of Tempests and P-38's fly off by themselves, wouldn't it be more effective to plan an attack with a wing of bomb carrying planes with CAP fighter protection, and wouldn't that be more realistic?

I can't speak for everyone, but there is teamwork happening. People are on Discord and TeamSpeak working together and coordinating actions but this is just not seen in the game unless you are at the target getting hit or are the target getting hit. When you get into a fight with a guy and all the sudden, seemingly out of nowhere another baddie comes into the fight there is a good chance they were talking to each other. If you are chasing a guy and they are doing all the right things to make life for you hard and life for the the other opponent you are facing in the fight super easy you can just about guarantee they are talking to each other. Lastly if you see identical parts of names, typically alphanumeric tags in front of names, there is a very good chance they are all talking to each other somehow.

There are also ad hawk teamwork situations where two people happen to be in the same patch of sky and work together to help each other out of a bind or to tackle a target too big or well defended for either of them alone with no communication at all. Those have been some of the best fights I've wound up in, though I prefer closer coordination myself.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

What visibility settings KOTA use?

They are using alternate currently. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, HarleyDavidson said:

Join a squadron or check some discords out, there's teamwork, I just had a nice FW-190D attack we did on KOTA hitting the ships with 3 of us. We were on comms though. Trying to use teamwork with chat is a bit much.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

They are using alternate currently. 

This could all end up as battle in the skies 800x640. I really hope it doesn't. 

• Upvote 1

Have you actually spent much time flying with the alternate system Custard? I ask only because I saw you come on last night, repeatedly ask the same question and then leave. Rather than remonstrating your great displeasure at every opportunity, perhaps it would be worth your time to set up a server for the 'Experten' players such as yourself or provide critical feedback on how to improve the alternative spotting system. I suspect that you are simply too busy to do either, as we all are.

On my part, I am indifferent to both forms and generally find no particular advantage in either. With the original, I am bounced and do bounce other players regularly. With the alternative and new, I am able to better position myself against other aircraft, and they are able to do the same to me. The extreme-distance spotting could do with being reeled in a little.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, HarleyDavidson said:

Is there no team work? 

Generally, if you say in chat you're interested in hopping on Discord or similar there's helpful types around who are willing to team up. If you ever seem me online, pop up & I'll gladly fly with you.

It's worth getting on the Discord servers of the big servers; they provide a super easy way for people to drop in on comms with you.

Edited by [_FLAPS_]Diggun

2 minutes ago, Leifr said:

Have you actually spent much time flying with the alternate system Custard?

Hours and hours. I'll PM you soon as its a contentious issue and one thread had already been locked. 

3 minutes ago, Leifr said:

Experten' players such as yourself

I am very far removed from an "Experten“

5 minutes ago, Leifr said:

provide critical feedback on how to improve the alternative spotting

I don't want to stop people enjoying the game or flying whatever settings they want all I would like is an indication to know whether particular settings are on or off in a server. Anyway I'll PM you. 

• Upvote 1

Someone please wake me up when the servers that pride themselves on "realism" get over their infatuation with arcade-mode spotting. 🤣

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 3

Yesterday's flight on KOTA server. A lot of Heinkels, a lot of cover fighters, 35 men in coordination. BubiHun thanks for the mission, it was great fun!

321.thumb.jpg.877cb934a143ddf7d24a31009c4f5ac2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

18 hours ago, 1/SG2_Hummels said:

Yesterday's flight on KOTA server. A lot of Heinkels, a lot of cover fighters, 35 men in coordination. BubiHun thanks for the mission, it was great fun!

Reveal hidden contents

321.thumb.jpg.877cb934a143ddf7d24a31009c4f5ac2.jpg

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/8/2019 at 2:01 PM, 1/SG2_Hummels said:

Your videos are beautiful. Well... this "fraps.com"... If you use Gforce cards you can record on NVIDIA ShadowPlay. It is a lightweight program infinitely better and easier than fraps

Honestly 1C videos are very "hmmm" ... Your video is better than the official ones, deserves the first page of the game

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/8/2019 at 11:33 AM, Leifr said:

Have you actually spent much time flying with the alternate system Custard?

I stopped flying kota when I noticed they used alt. System. Basicly because flying at 5 k in a bomber over cloud and still see fighters at deck like huge sunderland flyingboat. 

It might be nice in a pure dogfight server but for me flying slow big planes it is simply death wish. 

I have no problem spotting ac in my Rift S with my narrowsighted eyes in expert.  So I simply cannot understand the point in making bomber flying even more pointless. If I take a Peska I am looked at as a cheater. If I choose a A 20 with a useless gunner I am basically dead 

Edited by LuseKofte
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

I stopped flying kota when I noticed they used alt. System. Basicly because flying at 5 k in a bomber over cloud and still see fighters at deck like huge sunderland flyingboat. 

It might be nice in a pure dogfight server but for me flying slow big planes it is simply death wish. 

Would have done the same for similar reasons (although some bogies also appear like a big flying saucer). There just wasnt any alternative server, so I just flew when squad flew (most - I cant speak for all felt exactly the same, 3 of em also VR users).

Well, it seems they are running a test cycle of the expert vis settings. So now this server is alternately playable or unplayable depending upon who you talk to.

45 minutes ago, /SF/Disarray said:

Well, it seems they are running a test cycle of the expert vis settings. So now this server is alternately playable or unplayable depending upon who you talk to.

It is like a problem now. I suppose it was not ment to be. I like flying in Jasta 5 server also they use Alt settings abut the Bristol is about as fast as a fighter so the pain is just not that 

great. Flying late war a fighter can climb up to you under a minute

12 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

I stopped flying kota when I noticed they used alt. System.

Thats alright. I started again on Kota BECAUSE of alternative spotting. So no loss :)

Just today I wondered if its still on ... 

Edited by Spicysauced