Sign in to follow this  
3.IAP_Vasilij

Lagg-3 engine

Hi, question about rpm drops when flying in maneuvers. I dont think I am making negative G having impact to carburator. So, the question is? What to do and what not? 

Why does Lagg3 have RPM drops and how to avoid them.

Bcs Laggs engine is weak in its normal condition, so those RPM decrease in maneuver fighting is crucial and highly unwanted.

Is it caused by the fuel input, or by the temperature? (Flying on normal settings servers, with easy engine management)

Thanks for explanation.

Rpm drop is more due to the pitch range of the constant speed prop being insufficient for extreme situations than the engine being “weak” (the engine is exactly the same as on the 3 different Yak fighters, I think even the supercharger is identical) 

You can also experience a sudden drop in engine power due to fuel starvation, when flying inverted for more than a few seconds. Even though the carbuerator is constructed to prevent cutout under negative-G maneuvers, it is still gravity fed and will be starved in inverted flight.

On 8/15/2018 at 11:30 PM, 3.IAP_Vasilij said:

Bcs Laggs engine is weak in its normal condition, so those RPM decrease in maneuver fighting is crucial and highly unwanted.

M-105PF Klimov is certainly not weak at 1260hp continuous. A substantial increase in power over it's predecessor.

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins

16 hours ago, 3.IAP_Vasilij said:

Hi, question about rpm drops when flying in maneuvers. I dont think I am making negative G having impact to carburator. So, the question is? What to do and what not? 

Why does Lagg3 have RPM drops and how to avoid them.

Is it caused by the fuel input, or by the temperature? (Flying on normal settings servers, with easy engine management)

Thanks for explanation.

The LaGG overheats easily. Even at 100% oil and water you can overheat it on a hot map. If you have RPM or Engine Assist enabled, it may start to lower you RPM.

Also, If you snap stall some planes you get an RPM drop sometimes, but I don't know why.

Follow the temperature situation like a hawk the Laag -3 on the slow side of the planes of the game. I should say, it is heavy and lacks a good engine. Therefore, if you push the engine a little over its limits it goes over it save limits and because nothing is automatic you must regulate, rpms (propeller pitch), mixture, cooling of air/water or oil manually. A lot of work in a heavy underpowered plane luckily it is solid and can survive severe punishment. Not a bad plane but underpowered. :salute:

3 hours ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

The LaGG overheats easily. Even at 100% oil and water you can overheat it on a hot map. If you have RPM or Engine Assist enabled, it may start to lower you RPM.

Also, If you snap stall some planes you get an RPM drop sometimes, but I don't know why.

Lagg 3 probably has the least stick time for me. I remember flying it, and I must have forgot to watch my coolant radiator, it overheated and the engine siezed. I was high, and in gliding range of my airfield. The point of this story is, while gliding back to the airfield, the engine had a chance to cool, the prop started to spin, and then the engine re-started. It was obviously damaged though with stuttering boost and rpm, but still. I can't think of any other AC that has recovered for me once the engine seized.

Edited by =FEW=Herne

2 hours ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

As you say this I remember yes those RPM drops occurs on very hot Map. So yes, probably due to high outside temperature conditions, in addition with high engine performance during combat situations.

thanks for finding the clue.

• Thanks 1

Historically, overheating has always been a problem on the Lagg...;)

18 hours ago, senseispcc said:

I should say, it is heavy and lacks a good engine. . Not a bad plane but underpowered. :salute:

The Klimov M-105PF is not a bad or weak engine, yet this codswallop is somehow constantly regurgitated. Klimov 105PF was a substantial improvement over it's predecessor and 1260HP continuous is very good indeed.

DB601 in the BF109F4 only puts out 1200hp with combat power for comparison. This is by no means an early model LaGG we are talking about in this sim- this is one of the most refined and well revered versions of this airframe aside from the later series 66.

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins

18 hours ago, senseispcc said:

Not a bad plane but underpowered. :salute:

Dude, it's the exact same engine in the Yak-1 S.69. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

It's also in a much heavier plane. Makes it under-powered for the airframe it's in. Could have a 2k hp motor in a plane that weighs as much as a b17 and I think you could safely call it under-powered.

19 hours ago, senseispcc said:

Follow the temperature situation like a hawk the Laag -3 on the slow side of the planes of the game. I should say, it is heavy and lacks a good engine. Therefore, if you push the engine a little over its limits it goes over it save limits and because nothing is automatic you must regulate, rpms (propeller pitch), mixture, cooling of air/water or oil manually. A lot of work in a heavy underpowered plane luckily it is solid and can survive severe punishment. Not a bad plane but underpowered. :salute:

The LaGG-3 is many things but the Series 29 has the same M105PF engine. It's a robust engine, it's a very good engine, and it had a very good reputation. It's also the same engine on three Yak series fighters in the game. The designs of those fighters are superior to the LaGG-3 and that's where it falls short.

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

Exactly. For some reason people keep thinking its different.

What is different is of course the LaGG-3's airframe which is much heavier. That part may make it underpowered compared to some other types but it's not the engine's fault.

1 hour ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

It's also in a much heavier plane. Makes it under-powered for the airframe it's in. Could have a 2k hp motor in a plane that weighs as much as a b17 and I think you could safely call it under-powered.

It weighs just about the same as the Bf109 G6 and much lighter than the Mig-3, yet those planes aren't constantly labelled and regurgitated as overweight. 

The overweight reputation for this machine came from the early versions before they took out all those nose guns whih made it significantly heavier, in addition to changes to the airframe reducing weight. The Lagg 3 we have is a far more refined later version than those earlier machines.

The roll rate is also truly incredible.

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins

5 minutes ago, Bilbo_Baggins said:

It weighs just about the same as the Bf109 G6 and lighter than the Mig-3, yet those planes aren't constantly labelled and regurgitated as overweight. 

The overweight reputation for this machine came from the early versions before they took out all those nose guns whih made it significantly heavier, in addition to changes to the airframe reducing weight. The Lagg 3 we have is a far more refined later version than those earlier machines.

The roll rate is also incredible.

You make a good point... Though, to be fair, the Bf109G-6 is known as being a bit on the heavy side :)

Edited by ShamrockOneFive

20 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

You make a good point... Though, to be fair, the Bf109G-6 is known as being a bit on the heavy side :)

Aside from addition of leading edge slats, this LaGG-3 we have in sim is not far from the ultimate series 66 LaGG development. That's a good machine. 

How they fit all those guns into the early LaGG nose section is quite remarkable.

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins

2 hours ago, Bilbo_Baggins said:

It weighs just about the same as the Bf109 G6 and much lighter than the Mig-3, yet those planes aren't constantly labelled and regurgitated as overweight. 

The G6 surely is often labeled overweight, and it has a more powerful engine than the LaGG.

I don’t know if the MiG is commonly regarded as overweight, but it really should be. For such a small airframe it is ridiculously heavy, although to be fair much of that is its gigantic engine.

Back on topic: I don’t think the LaGG is that bad. If you want to see a grossly overweight and underpowered fighter in this sim, you really have to look at the P-40E.