[MOD] Icons

I didn't think it necessary given that it took me all of five minutes to work out which files do what and make the changes I was after.

Objects.dds contains the icons for planes and ground units. The two icons in the upper-left corner are what you want to edit... planes on the left, ground units on the right.

Points.dds contains the icons for various types of waypoint, the ones that appear in the sky. From left to right... enemy target marker, patrol marker, friendly target marker, complete objective marker, airfield marker, navpoint marker, unknown... neutral target marker maybe?

Literally all you need to do is open the file (without mipmaps), change whatever icon you want, and export (with mipmaps).

For example, I've attached my tweaked points.dds which makes all points.dds markers a tad smaller, removes the outer boxes, and makes the navpoint marker a solid circle.

Note: For modifying points.dds it's probably worth downloading one of the mods in this thread that do not change them, so that you get full-sized originals to work with. This is because I don't know how big of an area the game uses for each icon, so sticking to the original size or smaller is a good idea.

points.dds.zip

• Upvote 1

Good afternoon!

I can't make it work

I downloaded ICON_D(distance)_D(direction)_NL(no labels)_SM(small)_BLK(black)_DOT -all planes (enemies and friendlies) have a small black dot with smaller dot sizes

and  smaller ground unit squares

I then copied into my directory; both C:\ drive and Steam (I have it in a D:\ drive) ; somehow it is not working and it is showing the standard object markers

in which directory should this be downloaded?

what did I do wrong?

EDIT: I enabled mods and it is working woderful

THANKS A LOT!!!!!!

Edited by Jorge_S
2 hours ago, Jorge_S said:

what did I do wrong?

Two possibilities, you either haven't enabled mods in the game, or you've put the files in the wrong folder. Mods mode is enabled through the in-game menus. As for the files, please do yourself a favour and use JSGME instead of just putting the files in the folders yourself. This serves two purposes, it helps ensure things are going in the right place, and it enables you to quickly and easily remove mods should you need to. (For example, before patching the game.) The icon mods posted in the OP are all JSGME compatible right off the bat, so you just drop them in the MODS folder (which JSGME creates) and enable them. Easy peasy.

Hi guys.

Love this mod(s) awesome edition. Thankyou.

I'm using ICON_D(distance)_D(direction)_NL(no labels)_SM(small)_RB(red blue)_DOT. But i find that the ground vehicle squares to large with it.

I tried a few that have smaller squares but it reverts the plane icons back to triangles.

I'm hoping i am missing something but i would like to have coloured dots for planes and smaller squares for ground units.

Regards

The plane and ground unit icons are part of the same file, so you cannot combine two icon mods which change them both. The easy answer is to just make the changes to the file yourself, which I have explained in this post. The files can be opened with GIMP, which is free to download. 😎

Dear Ptk

I do appreciate all the iterations you have made already for this mod and I think there will be numerous more iterations until we get the best balance between realism and practical use of in-game icons:.

Here are some proposals which I think may add value in this objective:  

a) Icons should turn off automatically for all aircraft within a practical visible range. 

b) Cockpit arrows should be turned off for friendlies, arrows should only be visible for enemies.

c) propose a small "sparkle" instead of a black dot (similar to that shown on the solar panel below). This could simulate the glint of the sun off an aircraft cockpit/wing/rudder/prop etc.

Image result for glint

image.jpeg.80b997a5bebd09ab74f5f985f80c0ce0.jpeg

image.jpeg.99a3a927793fed693f81667969f378ab.jpeg

1 minute ago, screamingdemon said:

a) Icons should turn off automatically for all aircraft within a practical visible range. 

b) Cockpit arrows should be turned off for friendlies, arrows should only be visible for enemies.

These two are beyond the scope of an icon mod. You're talking about changing core game functionality, whereas this mod is just changing an image file.

2 minutes ago, screamingdemon said:

c) propose a small "sparkle" instead of a black dot (similar to that shown on the solar panel below). This could simulate the glint of the sun off an aircraft cockpit/wing/rudder/prop etc.

This one is kind of possible by just editing the files yourself. However, the "sparkle" would appear above the actual plane and would still be visible when the plane is in clear view.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

I'm using the 'small dot' version and I would like to edit the brightness of the dots and ground targets icons shown in the 3d scene. First I thought the game would use the map.dds as source for the color but this isn't the case.

Is it moddable at all?

I need icons because of my eyesight but the red dots of the Russian aircrafts disappear completely over the autumn forest having these light-brown trees. Would like to experiment with the colors a bit.

Edited by vonGraf
On 8/15/2018 at 8:17 AM, Ptk said:

Thought I'd share this, probably needs more testing, so if you find anything weird with it, let me know. 

Removes the distance indication, the direction marker, plane label, and the triangle is smaller. 

Added some customization options.

ICON_D(distance)_D(direction)_NL(no labels)_SM(small)_RB(red blue)_DOT  - changes the triangle to a small dot

ICON_D_D_NL_SM_RB_DOT.rar 7.84 kB · 383 downloads

Same as above, but with a box/bracket around the ground units

ICON_D_D_NL_SM_RB_DOT_BXGU.rar 7.29 kB · 120 downloads

ICON_D(distance)_D(direction)_NL(no labels)_SM(small)_T(triangle)  - original cleaned up a bit cause I'm sloppy

ICON_D_D_NL_SM_T.rar 8.01 kB · 170 downloads

ICON_D(distance)_D(direction)_NL(no labels)_SMLR(smaller)_T(triangle) - same as SM_T, but a smaller triangle

ICON_D_D_NL_SMLR_T.rar 7.98 kB · 147 downloads

ICON_D(distance)_D(direction)_NL(no labels)_SM(small)_BLK(black)_DOT -all planes (enemies and friendlies) have a small black dot

ICON_D_D_NL_SM_BLK_DOT.rar 9.22 kB · 165 downloads

Same as above, but smaller ground unit square

ICON_D_D_NL_SM_BLK_DOT_SMGU.rar 8.67 kB · 88 downloads

ICON_D(distance)_D(direction)_NL(no labels)_SMLR(smaller)_T(triangle)_SQ(square)  -smaller vehicle target square

ICON_D_D_NL_SMLR_T_SQ.rar 8 kB · 137 downloads

ICON_NAV    - targeting square smaller and changed to 2 angled arrows , not sure I like everything about this one. Also removed the waypoint "teardrop circle".

Ignore jsgme warnings, its in the same folder as the icon mods, but a different file

ICON_NAV.rar 8.66 kB · 84 downloads

ICON_NAV_SQ -changed waypoints to a smaller (filled in) square

ICON_NAV_SQ.rar 5.19 kB · 86 downloads

ICON_NAV_v2  -square around the nav icons instead of the teardrop and adjusted the target box

ICON_NAV_v2.rar 9.43 kB · 95 downloads

ICON_NAV_DMD -changed waypoints to a smaller (filled in) diamond

ICON_NAV_DMD.rar 9.54 kB · 158 downloads

ICON_NAV_Del  -deleted bracket/waypoints

ICON_NAV_Del.rar 600 B · 142 downloads

Removes the compass

no_compass.rar 814 B · 92 downloads

Hi Ptk; Are these mods still valid for v 4.005d ?

Great mod, but I've gone VR and need distance and AC type icons again since aircraft are now just shapeless blobs

I've disabled it in JSGME  but still just get the smaller triangle (no distance or type info) ...

is there something else I need to do ?

I found this topic as I am looking for whether it is possible to make the icons shown on the map for 'event log' to be smaller. 

Would anybody know if this is possible? I find the icons to be huge and often it's impossible to distinguish clearly such as when in tanks where the different targets were located. 

On 9/1/2019 at 10:53 AM, esk_pedja said:

Hey Ptk,

Is it possible to make a mod with decreased font of airplanes (smaller letters) ?

I think that many people who use plane signs in combat would be delighted 😳!

...or is it possible to make it a bit more transparent ?

Bump

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for these!

I am using the above mentioned mod with the Small Triangle.

I wish we could set it like we did in the original IL2

So the Server forced it for all.

I use to host @2000k plane type, then Friendly Pilot name @500k

trying to simulate RL recognition

If you use the no compass (which you do not need sense there is a good compass in the cockpit, it gets rid of the meter as well. 

I am curious if you can remove the compass but keep the meter. I would like to practice maneuvers knowing what the G-force is to better help fly more effectively without blacking out. 

EDIT:  This time when I did QM, the g-meter was present (with the no compass mod). 

Edited by [=PzG=]-FlyinPinkPanther

I have removed all the gauges (by PTKs mod) but I can still see the g-meter. It's not on the list for the HUD instruments or in the related images either, couldn't find the thing till now.

I've to look further, I'm new to the game.

Just want to thank PtK for this.

I downloaded "ICON D D NL SM T" and no more planes surrounded by names, types and distances.

Only small coloured triangles, unobtrusive but still a big help spotting when needed.

For me there is more to be gained by not knowing until you are close, what you have decided to attack or what is behind you.

Aircraft recognition becomes more essential. I still get them wrong in my combat report but so did many real pilots.

At least I have that in common with them!

19 hours ago, hebog5 said:

Just want to thank PtK for this.

I downloaded "ICON D D NL SM T" and no more planes surrounded by names, types and distances.

Only small coloured triangles, unobtrusive but still a big help spotting when needed.

For me there is more to be gained by not knowing until you are close, what you have decided to attack or what is behind you.

Aircraft recognition becomes more essential. I still get them wrong in my combat report but so did many real pilots.

At least I have that in common with them!

Agreed. It's a nice unobtrusive mod. IIRC in old IL2 it was possible to cycle through different types of icon rather than just on/off as we have now. Wish we had that in BOX.

This mod still colours friendly/hostile as red/blue. Does anyone know how to make all icons blue (or red) so that we have to visually identify whether an aircraft is friendly or not?

It would be nice for immersion if there was a bit if tension in having to avoid committing friendly fire. The colour coding functions like IFF at the moment.

37 minutes ago, [=PzG=]-FlyinPinkPanther said:

@Atomic_Spaniel

ICON_D(distance)_D(direction)_NL(no labels)_SM(small)_BLK(black)_DOT -all planes (enemies and friendlies) have a small black dot

ICON_D_D_NL_SM_BLK_DOT.rar 9.22 kB · 165 downloads

This is does that.

Yeah, but the black dot is horrible and I want neat little blue triangles 😁

Edited by Atomic_Spaniel
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest deleted@210880

Thank you for these mods, I'm using them as a basis to make my own. Which .gtp do you extract to get access to the graphics/fonts folder please? I've extracted the three graphics ones but don't have fonts in my null extraction folder.

6 hours ago, John_Yossarian said:

Thank you for these mods, I'm using them as a basis to make my own. Which .gtp do you extract to get access to the graphics/fonts folder please? I've extracted the three graphics ones but don't have fonts in my null extraction folder.

The swf.gtp package.

Guest deleted@210880
8 hours ago, vonGraf said:

The swf.gtp package.

Hmm, I only see two shockwave files or something deep in the swf here: \swf\il2\fonts

But someone modded something that looks like this on the path:

\data\graphics\fonts

And in there they have text files and dds for the font

Edited by deleted@210880
Guest deleted@210880

I tried one of the mods on here when I was failing to find the text files to mod myself and it didn't seem to do anythin on the text labels any more. I can find all the other icons but can't alter or remove the text at all. I figure the game files have changed since the mod was made?

I'd love to be wrong on that.

Edited by deleted@210880
21 hours ago, John_Yossarian said:

I tried one of the mods on here when I was failing to find the text files to mod myself and it didn't seem to do anythin on the text labels any more. I can find all the other icons but can't alter or remove the text at all. I figure the game files have changed since the mod was made?

I'd love to be wrong on that.

Still works fine for me with the ...SM_T version. I doubt if anything has changed.

Guest deleted@210880
28 minutes ago, Atomic_Spaniel said:

Still works fine for me with the ...SM_T version. I doubt if anything has changed.

Thank you. I will check that one out.

Yes that mod does work.

So I'm back to the mystery of why when I extract the graphics1 2 and 3 .GTP files there is no Fonts folder in the Null/Graphics extract folder. If anyone can shed light on this I would be very grateful.

image.png.649bb5cc371e06e0d7e4c32e0a50d9a6.png

Oh, I think I need to be able to access the shockwave flash object in the swf folder somehow.

Edited by deleted@210880
Guest deleted@210880

Yep, think I have what I need now.

Edit: Nah, No I don't.

Well I give up.

Edited by deleted@210880
  • 1 month later...