JonRedcorn

What size monitor do you run?

huge screen @1080p plus no AA - easy to spot ugly looking planes (bigger moving pixels -bigger chance to notice by human eyes)

I went for in between 3440x1444 @34 inch with 2xAA, good trade performance/nice gfx ,fps usually >100

8 hours ago, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

How grainy is the image tho as 1080P on a 4K screen would make massive pixels?

Also can you spot @ 10km with 4K screen and you just cant ID them.
or you cant see them at all over like 5km?

Same screen, I tried it once for the sake of curiosity but the pixelation was unbearable for me.

A better option was a slightly bigger resolution, right between 1080p and 1440p. Benefit is that you can turn of completely anti-aliasing.

I runned it for almost a year, when I bought the big screen but didn't have money for a high end computer.

I much much prefer 4k though. Even if spotting is sometimes more challenging from 10km away, once you see the contact, resolution is often high enough to identify the aircraft at 9km, or at least tell if Russian or German with confidence.

Another benefit is that ever since I made the switch to full 4k, the problems with aircraft disappearing when flying in front of clouds magically went away. And since forests rendering is more detailed and image is more stable, I find spotting low flyers a little bit easier, though that one may just be placebo.

And better resolution is just a blast for ground attack. I will never look back for a single second

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber

I have a 55 inch 4K TV.

I play at 1080p because I can get 120hz refresh rate in that resolution.

I don't see any pixelation , to be honest it doesn't really look much worse than 1440p (I have a 27 inch 1440p monitor also) or 4K.

Cokpit textures are not 4K anyway , same with ground textures.

I just got used to what I use at the moment and only thing that bothers me is a little shimmering on ground ,roads and rivers and airplane antenna cable.

The rest is fine , I am happy with a big screen , 120hz and low input lag (for a TV). No need for 4K rendering , game looks fine.

This is after couple of years using 144hz g-sync 1440p IPS monitor. 

My brain quickly adjusted to my new screen and I won't go back to 27 inches anytime soon.

This is something I couldn't imagine couple of years ago. I thought TV were laggy and pixelated. Not anymore, perfectly suitable for flightsims.

43" Acer 4k monitor for my 5960x

34" 3440x 1440 Dell Ultrawide for my 2700x

For 4K ground/grass/tree textures you must now set grass to ultra.

Normal = 100meters range for grass & 1K texture settings for grass/trees/bushes/etc
High = 200meters range for grass & 2K texture settings for grass/trees/bushes/Etc
Ultra = 300meters range for grass & 4K texture settings for grass/trees/bushes/etc

For an fps boost in config file you can set grass to 1 meter and Textures of 512x512 (.5 K)

detail_rt_res = 512
grass_distance = 1.00000

Edited by =TBAS=Sshadow14

I'm little off topic, but i'm today playing with 2500k and a GTX 770. I've got a 32' screen, playing in 2560x1440. 

I'm looking for a new graphique card to play with ultra setting. Gtx 1060 is enought? 

After reading this thread, I switched out my 23" monitor for a spare 42" RCA 1080p smart television from my basement and WOW!!!! The picture looks amazing and feeling of immersion is incredible. Pixelation is minimal and I didnt see any input lag, and if there was I didnt notice it. I set my TrackIR right on top with a slight down angle and works perfect too. I should have done this a year and a half ago. I'm not going back to my monitor.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NN_Razor said:

I'm little off topic, but i'm today playing with 2500k and a GTX 770. I've got a 32' screen, playing in 2560x1440. 

I'm looking for a new graphique card to play with ultra setting. Gtx 1060 is enought

GTX 1060 is marginal for 1440p Ultra. It’ll certainly run fairly well, but don’t expect to stay above 60 FPS all the time. Get the 6 GB model instead of the 3 GB model.

Usually, the 1070 is considered optimal for 1440p. However, the 1060 will be about 40% faster than the 770. Therefore, you should be quite pleased if you’re enjoying the game with your current hardware. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NN_Razor said:

I'm looking for a new graphique card to play with ultra setting. Gtx 1060 is enought? 

Eat pastas for a few more weeks and get a 1070. 

Will run better, be on less stress to handle your 1440p picture and probably last you longer than a "right on specs" card.

Plus you will have some room to get a nice balanced rig if you upgrade your CPU in the future. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NN_Razor said:

1070 is doing fine @3440x1444 ,high preset , better choice than 1060 imho. Think about new cpu I noticed significant more fps going from i5 2500K@4.2Ghz to i7 7600. I recommend new I7 around 5.0Ghz. Unfortunately you will have to change motherboard... and why not 3ghz +memory. Anyway you can start and stop for now with only 1070 ;)

Edited by 307_Tomcat
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

It's hard to reach a conclusion of everyone's experience with such and such sized monitor and such and such resolution only. The actual distance you are sitting from the screen has a lot of impact. I'm less than 1m from mine. It's a 27'' and I'm using full HD. That's small, but I tried with a 32'' TV. I had no trouble with image quality, but I don't see myself using anything bigger at such small distance.

i'm going to follow ure advices...looking for a GTX 1070. Thanks Gents!

On 8/22/2018 at 1:26 PM, NETSCAPE said:

I have a curved 34" 3440x1440p DELL that runs at 60Hz. I can't imagine going back to 1080p.

Me too only mine is from the Alienware subdivision overclocked to 120Hz. Makes head tracking so effortless in the horizontal plane.

S!

Using an AOC Agon 35" curved screen at 2560x1080. At the moment running it at 121Hz even it can go up to 200Hz. I like the screen.

G sync 4k, see below

It looks amazing. Catch myself every few min just staring at the scenery..

On 8/23/2018 at 2:34 AM, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

How grainy is the image tho as 1080P on a 4K screen would make massive pixels?

Also can you spot @ 10km with 4K screen and you just cant ID them.
or you cant see them at all over like 5km?

I cant spot at 1080 ..lol

10 minutes ago, II./JG77_Con said:

I cant spot at 1080 ..lol

settings issue??

every one ingame should be able to see a planes upto 10km away even on lowest graphics setting AFAIK

On 8/17/2018 at 2:51 AM, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

can'’t twist around to look over my shoulders with VR rigs. I have a serious back injury, so this is probably my setup for life until VR has some rotation scaling like TiR.

I wish they would just add a rear view in VR that we can map to a button. Checking your six is a pain. I use a swivel chair to deal with it. 

I have a LG 29UM69G 75Hz (2560x1080). I had problem to run BoX with my Rx 580 4GB and get 75 FPS at balanced preset, so I bought a Rx Vega 64 and now i'm running on Ultra but when I'm in the ground, FPS runs near 65 FPS.

To me, the low achieved FPS problem is because of the low IPC from AMD processors and only 4 cores usage.

4 hours ago, BlackMambaMowTin said:

I wish they would just add a rear view in VR that we can map to a button. Checking your six is a pain. I use a swivel chair to deal with it. 

You guys need to do yoga or something. I mean if I really want to get wild with it I grab my arm rest on the chair to get that extra few inches. But otherwise I can see behind decently well without turning. Pimax is gunna be a game changer.

9 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Back injury precludes checking six OR yoga............

In that case I'd be enjoying the beautiful graphics and ease of head tracking. Trust me I've switched back almost daily. As soon as I get the trackir setup, I am like, no I the graphics aren't worth it. I need to be in that cockpit. Usually happens when I fly something that has the instruments blocked, with VR it takes half a second to move your head, with my deadzones setup on the trackir it's a pain in the ass to move my actual head in the x,y,z axis.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

42 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Wow, you have some huge deadzones. I just flatten the curve near the midpoint. No deadzones on the TiR.

I use a home made clip with opentrack, my clips a little small, so when I turn to look at my 6 it will activate my 3 motions, I raise up, it's annoying so the larger deadzones on the 3 movement axis are required. I've been thinking of getting a delan clip, but it works for what it is, and i;ve found some great settings in VR, think I will just stick with it.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

Just built a new rig with a curved 35" Predator/TIR and Rift. I must say that I enjoy using either in flight sims and it's nice to have the choice.

I use a 40 inch flat LG 4K Monitor at 3840 x 2160 - 60Hz.

I would have loved a QLed (brilliance, color and contrast are just incredible with quantum dots) from Samsung but they do not have it on that size. The OLed ones are much too expensive on those sizes. But a new technology is coming with MicroLeds. I think that one may replace all the others. Better than OLed and QLed but much cheaper and longer lifetime.

The curved ones feel smaller than they are. They shrink the image. As I use the same screen also for office work I prefer flat. I hate narrow curved and very wide one which are like two HD screens side by side. This gives 3840 x 1080 but an aspect ratio that is like looking through a narrow slit. I tested one in a shop and did not like it.

I know it's that 'other' ultra-realistic sim but I do like my Hornet fix.

Anyways, 35" Predator monitor (3550x1440) running off a 1080Ti @100hz.

Everything is totally maxxed out and with TrackIR it's sublime though I still prefer the Rift for the ultimate immersion.

DSC01321.JPG

42” Samsung curved 4K here. Love it. Run IL2 maxed out in graphics.

Of course a higher res VR unit in the future with make this obsolete in so far as IL2 goes. I don’t know what’s the problem with getting a higher resolution out of a VR headset.

I have just ordered Samsung 49-Inch Curved Gaming Monitor. It has a 32:9 aspect ratio and 3840×1080 resolution. Its refresh rate is 144Hz so will enjoy playing games and working on it.

Edited by nitinpatel

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, BlackMambaMowTin said:

What? As a VR user for immersion, you want a cheat key? I'm shocked. 😀

I went to a 27''/1080p Asus monitor a few years ago to get off my old 23'' one which was getting too small for flying/gaming.

I still like the monitor (and I think it's even still available), but I would advise to check out the picture quality before you buy. In some circumstances, 27'' is what I would call the upper size limit for 1080p. The picture *can* get a bit "fuzzy", especially when using the monitor for word processing or reading text on the web.

When I upgrade, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get at least the same size monitor (preferably bigger), but I will make a point of getting one that supports at least 1440.

S.