Sign in to follow this  
Tom25briklebritt

How to use german revi for bombing in a fighter plane?

I don't use the gunsight for that. It's not even made for bombing, just measuring range with the target aircraft's wingspan and telling you where your guns are pointed.

The Hs-129B has a special addon to the Revi gunsight which makes it possible to aim bombs. There's a tutorial on Youtube.

10 minutes ago, Tom25briklebritt said:

I am looking for a tutorial on how to use the german revi with bombs. Would be nice for russian planes too...

Then try the dive bombing - it can be done in fighters but isn't easy.

58 minutes ago, Tom25briklebritt said:

I am looking for a tutorial on how to use the german revi with bombs. Would be nice for russian planes too...

Dive towards the targets, the best angle is around 45 degrees (but it works aswell within the 30-60 range), put the target in your sight and when getting close you press the release button when the target just passed under the nose of the plane. This technique should get you nice results, but if you expect to blow up tanks with 50kgs bombs you gonna need LOT of practice.

Edited by Willy__

The method Willy describes will work well for any plane in a diving attack, generally speaking. Things change as the cockpit is moved forward or back and the nose shape of the various planes, but at the end of the day you don't really need to hit the target directly with the bomb unless it is an extraordinarily hardened target, like a tank, or you are using smaller bombs, or both of those things are true. But if you lay a 250 Kg bomb within 5 or so meters of your target it will probably die and that isn't all that hard with a little practice. One thing I will note is the higher you drop the bomb from in a diving attack the further out you have to aim the bomb. The bomb will follow your plane's trajectory but it trends downward sharply after a little bit.

Another method is flying in low to the ground, directly at your target, at high speed. Doing this you let go the bomb early and it will sail through the air and hit the target that way. Doing this you have to drop the bomb a lot earlier than you think you will and getting the timing down right is a little harder than the classic dive bombing approach. The bomb may also skip off the ground a little bit too, so it might deviate left or right of the target. This can be an effective means of engaging convoys too, the long nature of the target means if the bombs skip down the road you are still likely to hit something; but it works best in something like an A-20 or JU-88 as they can carry lots of little bombs. This method also works very well for hitting boats, and when used in this application it is sometimes referred to as 'skip bombing' or 'top mast bombing.' For anti-shipping I've found 250 Kg bombs work best as they don't slow you down that much and they still pack a big enough punch to kill the boat.

34 minutes ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

-snip-

Hokey religions and futuristic spacecraft are no match for an SC-500 under your fuselage.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, NahkaSukka said:

You don't use it for bombing. Just dive at your target and when the target disappears under your nose drop your bomb.

What he said. If you turn on the HUD and practice you can work out a rough release point at certain height and speed, then try to use this approach.

A level approach at 50m and 400kph you drop 1 second after target disappears under your nose, for example. Not that scientific, but it (kinda) works...

5 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

400kph

I hope you're in a Sturmovik because that's a very nice speed for AA gunners.

28 minutes ago, Frenchy56 said:

I hope you're in a Sturmovik because that's a very nice speed for AA gunners.

An example, not a recommendation 😎