What are you hoping for in FC Vol 2?

What are you looking forward to in FC Vol 2?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What map?

• Vosges
    • Verdun and Argonne
    • Ypres
    • Channel Coast and North Sea
    • Isonzo
    • Prussia and Baltic
    • Poland
    • Galicia and Carpathians
    • Romania
    • Palestine
  2. 2. What year?

14 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Palestine, Poland or Romania would be a financial disaster.  Why are those even options?

Because the thread is about what people want, not what they’re most likely going to get.

• Upvote 1

I would prefer a 1917 plane set, call it Bloody April

with the planes as follows:

Halberstadt D.II

Albatross D. II

Albatross D. III

DFW C.V

N 17

Sopwith Pup

Sopwith Triplane

Spad VII

R.E.8

to support the community in the Bloody April tournament. I just love the 1917 time period somehow. And no new map necessarily if we have the Lens Arras Bapaume sector already...

• Upvote 5
43 minutes ago, J99Sizzlorr said:

with the planes as follows:

Yeah, I’d pre-order that in a heartbeat, not a single plane in that set that I don’t enjoy flying in RoF. Plus, I also love the 1917 timeframe. Not to mention that you’d be able to have a late 1916 - early 1918 career with them.

I’d probably add the Albatros C.VII to that list, though, I love the look of that plane, and it would be great to have some more variety in our German recon aircraft.

Edited by PB_Cybermat47
2 hours ago, J99Sizzlorr said:

That would be the route. Just classic / legendary planes through and through. But the good (old) Sopwith Triplane. 

I hope 1917 set next with part of the main Western Front map.  (I wish we could just have one big WW1 map though).  

Hopefully we’ll get the 1916 birds after that in volume 3 but I would choose 1917 first, guessing on popularity.  

Ceowulf<><

edit:  and I really agree with Seawolf.  If there’s one plane I wish would get an FM revision it would be the Tripe.   (And #2 is the N28.)     

Edited by Ceowulf
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Ceowulf said:

If there’s one plane I wish would get an FM revision it would be the Tripe.   (And #2 is the N28.)     

Oh, yes, I forgot about it. The N28 deserve some care as well. And it was the plane given to the US at the start, which makes it a milestone.

21 hours ago, PB_Cybermat47 said:

it would be interesting all the same to see what everyone is hoping for from a potential 2nd volume.

You don't sound overly confident, but then among products in general it's not unusual for projected future modules never to materialise. I wouldn't recommend hoping for anything more than its release.

I don't know my WWI history well enough to suggest a year/battle/aircraft set but I'd love to see us go back to the 1917 aircraft and add ten more of that pack and I'd love to see that include the Handley Page 0/400 and Gotha G.V in addition to some fun scouts that I'm sure would be popular. I'd become a bit of a fan of the Hanriot HD in Rise of Flight so that'd be nice to have.

I'm not sure about map and if they will expand the Western Front map or redevelop the Channel Map (that map would be spectacular with the upgraded ocean tech from Kuban).

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
25 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I don't know my WWI history well enough to suggest a year/battle/aircraft set but I'd love to see us go back to the 1917 aircraft and add ten more of that pack and I'd love to see that include the Handley Page 0/400 and Gotha G.V in addition to some fun scouts that I'm sure would be popular. I'd become a bit of a fan of the Hanriot HD in Rise of Flight so that'd be nice to have.

I'm not sure about map and if they will expand the Western Front map or redevelop the Channel Map (that map would be spectacular with the upgraded ocean tech from Kuban).

Yeah, a channel map would go really well with the Gotha and Handley Page. No. 7 SQN RNAS/No. 207 SQN RAF was at Petite-Synthe and Coudekerque, both on the channel coast, for a while. It would make sense for the Gotha units to be in that area as well, given that they attacked England.

I think it would also be great to get the Handley-Page O/100 and Gotha G.IV, to expand the time period medium bombers are present if the FC gets a career mode.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, PB_Cybermat47 said:

Yeah, a channel map would go really well with the Gotha and Handley Page. No. 7 SQN RNAS/No. 207 SQN RAF was at Petite-Synthe and Coudekerque, both on the channel coast, for a while. It would make sense for the Gotha units to be in that area as well, given that they attacked England.

I think it would also be great to get the Handley-Page O/100 and Gotha G.IV, to expand the time period medium bombers are present if the FC gets a career mode.

That all sounds pretty exciting then :)

I'd be excited to see their Channel Map rebuilt in the new engine... I'd look really really good.

• Upvote 1

I'd certainly like to see a Channel Map... although, I have different aircraft in mind.

Albatros W.4, Sopwith Baby, Friedrichshafen FF33 and FF49, Short-184, Hanriot HD.2, Donnet-Denhaut-DD.8, FBA-H, Felixstowe F2a, Curtis Model R-3 and Model R-6, Hansa-Brandenburg W.12, W.29, W.33, etc., etc..

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, xvii-Dietrich said:

I'd certainly like to see a Channel Map... although, I have different aircraft in mind.

Albatros W.4, Sopwith Baby, Friedrichshafen FF33 and FF49, Short-184, Hanriot HD.2, Donnet-Denhaut-DD.8, FBA-H, Felixstowe F2a, Curtis Model R-3 and Model R-6, Hansa-Brandenburg W.12, W.29, W.33, etc., etc..

With you on this, 2 cents more; AEG G.IV, Hannover CL.II/III/IIIa and LVG C.VI. maybe as collectors planes?

• Thanks 1

I don't understand why the french aviation is so poorly represented in RoF & FC games.

So I hope that we will fly some french wings in the next opus:

- salmson 2

- caudron R11 should be funny

- nieuport fighters & breguet 14

Edited by PatCartier
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, PatCartier said:

I don't understand why the french aviation is so poorly represented in RoF & FC games.

Half of the planes currently in FC are French. 😄 

As for ROF:

2 models of the Spad 7

Spad 13

Nieuport 11

3(!) Models of the Nieuport 17

Nieuport 28

Hanriot HD.1

Hanriot HD.2

Breguet 14

Plus, the Sopwith Triplane and the Sopwith Strutter, which can of course be flown in French colors.

That's hardly what I call a poor representation of French aviation. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 8/19/2018 at 9:01 AM, xvii-Dietrich said:

Yeah, it would be great to see more of the flying boats and seaplanes, they’re a lot of fun in RoF.

• Thanks 1

I just want to see a more diverse planeset.

Look at Vol1:  The two-seaters are the Bristol Fighter vs the Halb II 200hp..........no contest.  Also, what is a Pfalz 3 or a Sopwith Dolphin doing there?  Opposite ends of an extreme in date and development.  Looks to me like unless the Germans get some non-ROF FM/speed buffs, the whole Vol 1 planeset is Allied-centric.   Give us the early war planes back.  Also, I'll be sorely disappointed if the Felixstowe doesn't make another appearance. 

I will say this:  I will pay extra money for idiosyncratic "Collector" planes.  Probably the only reason I will buy any of the WWII game for this is because the P-38j is in Bodenplatte and I have been loving that thing in flight games since I was a kid. 

Sounds like this debate has already raged, heh.  In a game, balance or fairness isn't up to the war or the technology, as in history.  It is up to the choices made by the devs.  If we had access to every plane in WWI, then that choice would be up to the mission developers instead.  It sounds high and noble to talk about the realities of war being incorporated into a simulation video game, but I don't think 90% of players actually want to be on the losing end of that arrangement.  I've met a few very real gaming masochists in it for the hardcore simulation, and very many people who make those arguments but gleefully join the stack or play the easier side.   Anybody remember World War 2 Online?  Heh.  "I want realistic WWII tank combat...hey what just killed me? I drove an hour to get this tank up here!  This is bullshit!  I'm gonna go find an Army Base camp going on and have some fun shooting people!"

Below I've written a little TL;DR rant about how the "unfairness" of a mission setup in RoF produces crappy gameplay IMO and might drive people away from multiplayer.  Feel free to ignore.   It will ultimately be up to the multiplayer mission developers to use the FC planeset well. 

Both last Sunday and last night, the Syndicate Vintage Mission/Fly-In were both the same mission.  I don't know the name, but it's the one where both sides start out with 2/4 airfields active and have 6~ Recon/Bombing missions to accomplish to unlock those airfields.  The Allies start out with only Spad 13s and Breguets, the Germans start out with Albs, Pfalz 12, and D7s (I forget the bomber they get).

On Sunday, what I saw was that the German side is stacked first, because people want to fly the fighters (I personally feel so claustrophobic in the Spad 13).  So I dutifully get on the Allies and fly with a 5+ difference in the teams, even managing to ambush a Pfalz12 and shoot it down.  While I'm in the air, the Allies (the numerical underdog by 5+ people when I took off, mind you) unlock our first airfield, giving the team access to Camels, SE5as, and Bristol fighters.  I patrol the line high for a bit, don't see any more jerries, go RTB, and when I look at the map to respawn...WTF? Now there are 5+ more Allies than Germans, but the same number of players overall.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm.  So I dutifully switch to the German team, to avoid participating in a stack, and we get Airfield camped by squadrons of Bristol fighters until the server fizzles out.

Last night,  I got home about an hour after the game started, there were still 16 people on the server, but the *same mission*, still at 2/4 airfields, and sure enough the German side was heavily stacked.  My decision was to either fly a Spad13 around (admittedly a fine plane for boom-n-zooming stackers, but ew, the cockpit), do Recon missions *against the stack*, and my reward for doing this well might be that I trigger the stack to change to Allies. ...I made the tactical decision to try again this Sunday and hope for a better mission. 

That's a mission, poorly designed, that does not take Human Factors into account when trying to design a (fun?) experience.  We all know the stack is real, but I had forgotten how bad after not playing RoF for a couple years. 

Eh guess it shouldn't matter to me.  I won't be playing this game as long as Headtracking/VR and ForceFeedback have a gamebreaking camera stutter bug.  Just discovered it.  Shameful.    Hopefully see yall in the air on Sunday in RoF!

Edited by EmerlistDavjack
  • 1 month later...

I'm looking very much forward to the Channel Map remake. A generic Middle East map with a few pyramids thrown in would add to the young Indiana Jones/Biggles vibe nicely.

Generally I like these 'somewhere in [insert part of the world]' type of maps (with no or fictional names) as they tend to spark your imagination.

• Like 1

What I really would like to have is the early stages of the war.
I think those aircraft are curious and provide a very different form of combat, regarding speed, maneuverability and weaponry.
Fokker Eindecker, Airco DH.2 and Morane-Saulnier Type N are simply gorgeous designs that should be available, at least as collector planes.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Guster said:

I'm looking very much forward to the Channel Map remake. A generic Middle East map with a few pyramids thrown in would add to the young Indiana Jones/Biggles vibe nicely.

Generally I like these 'somewhere in [insert part of the world]' type of maps (with no or fictional names) as they tend to spark your imagination.

Camelling around the Giza escarpment.. now there's an idea - make it happen !!

On 8/19/2018 at 1:13 AM, PatCartier said:

So I hope that we will fly some french wings in the next opus:

- salmson 2

- caudron R11 should be funny

- nieuport fighters & breguet 14

The French have one of best aircraft in the game; SPAD XIII.

Some earlier aircraft would be lovely but understandable unlikely. Much as it might be disliked, a BE series really should be in.

Maybe adding more mod versions; different Gnomes, DBs etc might be a low-cost way to widen the period?

And - of course - Snipes 😋