Sign in to follow this  
StG77_HvB

Guy with no flight training steals and flies Bombadier Q400 Turboprop

Posted (edited)

Colton Moore, the “Barefoot Bandit,” actually learned to fly from a flight sim at one of the houses he burglarized. Started stealing real ones shortly thereafter. I think he crashed all but one of the aircraft he stole.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf

https://limotees.net/trending/fly-it-like-you-stole-it-shirt/

Already got mine. 

13 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Colton Moore, the “Barefoot Bandit,” actually learned to fly from a flight sim at one of the houses he burglarized. Started stealing real ones shortly thereafter. I think he crashed all but one of the aircraft he stole.

He's out on Parole now. I wonder what he is doing now. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thinking about a starting a new squad "Sky Kings"

Must be able to barrel roll

1534612552453.png

Edited by 6./ZG26_Emil
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Dunno but he’s kind of a self centered $#!7head. The likelihood of recidivism is high with this one.

Maybe - my wife spent some time with him and said he was a sweet kid.

In fact he called her from prison.

He was a good kid at heart with a crappy upbringing. 

He did some community service work here at the park property where we live - a year or so before I met her. 

• Like 1

Talked to others in the profession who interviewed him. Not a good picture even after his arrest. Very self serving. Maybe a decade has mellowed him. Your mileage may vary.......

Well they'd know more than me if they've spoken to him that recently.

5 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Emil said:

Thinking about a starting a new squad "Sky Kings"

Must be able to barrel roll

1534612552453.png

Are you trying to start a Waffen-SS division?

At least center the aircraft on the shield. It's painful to look at in its current state.

• Haha 1

Some new info came out this week about Russell's past: 

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/pilot-became-suspicious-of-richard-russell-a-year-before-he-stole-airplane-from-sea-tac/

Joel Monteith, a pilot for SkyWest Airlines, told an emergency dispatcher in August that after he saw Russell and a second man “pointing and flipping switches” inside the empty SkyWest jet at the airport last year, “I went over and confronted them, and I said, ‘Hey, what are you guys doing in here?’ ”

The men told Monteith they were training to use the plane’s auxiliary-power unit so they’d know how to tow it as part of their jobs, he said, “but they kind of … started to get up and then leave the airplane when I confronted them. So, that was kind of suspicious.”

6 hours ago, Tycoon said:

there goes the Il 2 flier theory.

The Il2 theory got dismissed when he just walked to the aircraft instead of engaging in a 3 day debate about its FM beforehand...

• Haha 1

For me the most impressing thing was the fact he was able to start it., taxiing it and take off. He must have done this in P3d or similar sim before. The flying itself do not impress me, he pushed and pulled the living shit out of that plane, not caring if he would make it or not. When the plane is trimmed and flaps up it is darn easy to fly, Turboprops are remarkable powerful in low altitudes and the design of the plane is strong. But he must have known a lot about the plane to enable it to fly

2 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

For me the most impressing thing was the fact he was able to start it., taxiing it and take off. He must have done this in P3d or similar sim before. The flying itself do not impress me, he pushed and pulled the living shit out of that plane, not caring if he would make it or not. When the plane is trimmed and flaps up it is darn easy to fly, Turboprops are remarkable powerful in low altitudes and the design of the plane is strong. But he must have known a lot about the plane to enable it to fly

X Plane 11 : Flyjsim Dash 8 Q400 : Tutorial 1 Startup (this one was featured in an NBC news report on the incident)

X Plane 11 : Flyjsim Dash 8 Q400 : Tutorial 2 Pushback Taxi and Lineup

X Plane 11 : Flyjsim Dash 8 Q400 : Tutorial 3 Flight Management System

X Plane 11 : Flyjsim Dash 8 Q400 : Tutorial 4 Takeoff, Climb, Cruise & Autoflight

X Plane 11 : Flyjsim Dash 8 Q400 : Tutorial 5 Descent, Approach, Landing & Shutdown