Sign in to follow this  
=MANCOS=Rudullsky

How to use the radio beacon?

hello pilots, I like how to use the radio beacon in the BoX, in the old IL-2 1946 one was selecting which frequency (antenna) wanted to go with two keys, next beacon and previous beacon. this is possible as long as the editor of the mission has placed antennas.
then what I would like to know is how to use it in the BoX since I see that several planes are equipped with the instrument.
thank you to whom I coul d answer

1117933609_DesktopScreenshot2018_07.21-00_25_43.22-B.thumb.jpg.17dd4e90b60e18c1a41519a90e9314a7.jpg

There are no channels to change at the moment.  If they are in the mission and the plane is equipped, the instruments will work.  Quick missions and the career missions usually have them activated otherwise it will be up to the mission maker.

The instrument will simply home in on the nearest beacon without turning anything on save the p39.  In the p39 you have to change to radio channel from axis/allies to compass.

Some aircraft come with the instruments by default, others you have to add them in the loadout screen.

In the career missions the radio beacon shows you the way back to your airfield, there is only this one beacon on the maps.

1 hour ago, Yogiflight said:

In the career missions the radio beacon shows you the way back to your airfield, there is only this one beacon on the maps.

Negative - for Ju 52 missions there will be a radio beacon for the arfield you are delivering cargo to.

13 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Negative - for Ju 52 missions there will be a radio beacon for the arfield you are delivering cargo to.

Then I guess the mission ends there, right? Then let's say it this way, the beacon shows the direction to the airfield, at which the player should land. This would fit also for missions in which the player is heading for a new base.

13 hours ago, LukeFF said:

I thougt both. Home airfield and delivery airfield.. 

Grt M

6 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

Then I guess the mission ends there, right?

Nope, you have to return to your home airfield.

Can someone elaborate about the instruments. I know some planes will have an instrument that points towards the closest beacon but I've never figured out which one is it (i know they vary from plane to plane).

16 hours ago, I./ZG1_Martijnvdm said:

I thougt both. Home airfield and delivery airfield.. 

Grt M

You are right: both. It will tune the target when close to it,  then homebase when you are returning. They are always far away enough not to overlap.

3 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Can someone elaborate about the instruments. I know some planes will have an instrument that points towards the closest beacon but I've never figured out which one is it (i know they vary from plane to plane).

Not a complete list, but should get you started.

Chuck's Battle of Stalingrad Guide:

Pe-2:  RPK-2 pp.105  pp. 121 use.

Stuka:  AFN-1 pp.191

111:  AFN-2 pp. 201  pp. 250 use

Chuck's Guide:  http://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-il2-battle-of-stalingrad/

Edited by Plurp

It homes on closest (friendly?)beacon. You find them on some servers, including Finnish Virtualpilots and TAW. I cant recall how the range estimation(vertically moving needle) works but the lower needle points to the direction you need to turn, and when centered, you're aligned with the beacon.

3 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

For German planes, when you get close to the airfield the "horizontal" needle starts to move up towards "Nahe".

I have not tested it in BoX, so don't know how it is modeled, but in IL2 1946, where Lorenz blind landing was modeled, there was a beep and the instrument light up for a moment, when  you flew over the outer marker and then again when you flew over inner marker. When the horizontal needle was completely horizontal (points to the dot at 9 o'clock) you were directly over the inner marker. 

2 hours ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

I cant recall how the range estimation(vertically moving needle) works but the lower needle points to the direction you need to turn, and when centered, you're aligned with the beacon.

From the (Finnish) notes I've read on the G- 6, that behavior seems to be the opposite of how it should work: when flying towards the beacon, it would show the direction of the error, e.g., if pointing to the left, then that means the pilot was flying to the left of the beacon.

On 8/13/2018 at 8:44 AM, =FEW=Herne said:

its also worth noting that they are not active on many MP servers, including WoL.

Radio beacons are active on servers with realistic navigation.

In WoL you have GPS so you know, all the time, where you are. Radio beacons are of no use in WoL and other servers with GPS.

Edited by bies

3 hours ago, bies said:

Radio beacons are active on servers with realistic navigation.

In WoL you have GPS so you know, all the time, where you are. Radio beacons are of no use in WoL and other servers with GPS.

Well it depends, the server admin has to physically place and activate the beacon. I know that they do work on finnish and TAW. not sure about random expert, because it has been such a long time since I last played there, but IIRC it was always set to a rear airfield

thank you very much everyone for the answers, now I have it clear
hopefully the theme of the radio headlights will continue to be developed and we will be able to select the antennas to which we want to fly as well as the grinding in bad conditions, this is very inportent in the theater of the Pasifico
  • Upvote 1

On 8/13/2018 at 12:53 AM, II./JG77_Kemp said:

For German planes, when you get close to the airfield the "horizontal" needle starts to move up towards "Nahe".

I have not tested it in BoX, so don't know how it is modeled, but in IL2 1946, where Lorenz blind landing was modeled, there was a beep and the instrument light up for a moment, when  you flew over the outer marker and then again when you flew over inner marker. When the horizontal needle was completely horizontal (points to the dot at 9 o'clock) you were directly over the inner marker. 

The instrument will light up and flash as you pass directly over the radio tower, but it's a very narrow beam, better not blink.  Didn't hear any tone though.