=FEW=Hauggy

Still no contact altimeter simulation after all these years

I would like to complain about something missing in the game from the beginning and that was (I assume) completely ignored during the development process.

Some of you might have noticed a little gauge in the cockpit of the Stuka and the JU-88, in the Il-2 game the said gage is completely and utterly useless.

IMG_6930_1024x1024.JPG?v=1494385704

So my point is maybe it's time after all these years to give us a proper simulation of dive bombing with a German dive bomber by simulating this crutial piece of equipment that's always been missing from the game (or shall we call it a simulation?) since the original release of " Battle of Stalingrad"?

I found topics dating from 2014 asking about this missing feature so i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who's baffled by it's long absence.

Here's what the thing actually looks like:

stuka3.jpg

4985552-DSCF6867.jpg

Referring to the markings visible in the first photo: The implication of "nicht fur Horizontalflug" ought to be clear. I believe “760km/h” is the max airspeed to which the instrument is calibrated to be accurate. I believe “250” is the moment arm the unit’s mass imposes around the aircraft’s CG for weight & balance purposes.

The Stuka's DRU is an electro-mechanical device that contains an internal altimeter, a device to measure G-load, various potentiometers, rheostats, plus power & signal wiring. Input is mechanical. All signal output is electrical. The unit has a few inputs which I have not fully explored yet. But I know one is the setting for barometric pressure on the internal altimeter, and another is setting for pull-out altitude. The electrical output signal of the unit controls servosoperating the Stuka’s control surfaces to bring about or maintain the recovery from a dive within safe limits. I haven’t confirmed whether the unit was truly automatic in that it INITIATES the recovery INDEPENDENT of pilot action. Or if bomb release or a pilot’s toggling of a switch was necessary to activate the unit’s dive recovery assist functions. Perhaps the DRU could be set to be triggered by any of these 3 or more options? 

The DRU’s purpose is to prevent the aircrew and aircraft from destruction caused by impact with terrain or excessive G-force. It achieved this by affecting pull-out by movement of the controls while assisting to limit the G’s placed on the airframe. 

Thus, it is very likely a DRU could be operated without bomb-release. But recovery from a dive WITHOUT dropping the bombload would have different flight dynamics - and require a higher minimum recovery altitude. This would need to be anticipated by a Stuka pilot and gunner and might be the reason different sources quote different minimum operational altitudes. [Sources vary between 900m and 450m AGL]. Or these may be the difference between operational realities and a theoretical minimum.

Sources also vary in their descriptions of how DRU’s were set up and operated during a mission. However the DRU undoubtedly needs to be fed two critical pieces of information: barometric pressure allowing the internal altimeter to be accurate, and the minimum “pull-up” altitude from which the aircraft needs to recover to avoid impacting terrain. According to one source it was Luftwaffe procedure to establish the minimum altitude before a mission. One source stated the altitude information was input into the unit in flight by the rear gunner, minutes before the dive commenced. This would offer mission flexibility, so an alternate target could be selected by the pilot with the gunner verifying the ground elevation on his charts and set the new minimum altitude in the DRU accordingly.

Source: 

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=149604&sid=cce9214b149ad700bb53cd4141c7f64c&start=15

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy
  • Upvote 28

Thanks for the upvotes, hopefully the devs will finally see this and take care of it.:coffee:

We can probably all agree that this is not a minor thing. :salute:

It's time, we should have this.  Not having it makes the Ju87 something else.  It's such an integral part of this aircraft's dive bombing procedure.

• Like 2

Quote from the device's description: " It achieved this by affecting pull-out by movement of the controls while assisting to limit the G’s placed on the airframe "

How is this going to work in ANY game/simulation ? It requires a force-feedback joystick or yoke which is pretty much unobtainable.

2 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

How is this going to work in ANY game/simulation ? It requires a force-feedback joystick or yoke which is pretty much unobtainable.

It works plenty fine in the original IL2. 

• Upvote 2

Exactly this Il-2 is the one that's lacking it, thanks for pointing it out. :salute:

And the Variable incident tailplane...and starboard elevator trim tab, operates when you open the airbrake and causes the Stuka to angle down.  All part of the Auto pull out dive system.  Neet stuff but not in game.

It's be neet to have the bomb 'screamers' too, the little miniature organ pipes that made the bombs whistle on the way down.  You can see them in the pic attached to the tail fins of some of the bombs.   I  still love flying the Stuka, just wish it had all these extra cool features.

screamers.jpg

I heard some talk about Afrika.  Wouldn't it be sweet to get a B model for that theatre and work it into the BoM Careers too?  I want to fly the Stuka in the Moscow Campaign!

On 10/8/2019 at 9:16 PM, III./SG77-K_Bobo said:

I heard some talk about Afrika.  Wouldn't it be sweet to get a B model for that theatre and work it into the BoM Careers too?  I want to fly the Stuka in the Moscow Campaign!

You are propably mixing up CLOD ans BoX. But yes i'd love a Ju87B2 for Moscow! As collector or part of a battle of Spain/France expansion. But none of this seems very likely :)

The Stuka Horizontal Stabilizer had a four position lever to adjust the angle of the entire tailplane.  This prevented the pilot from having to use trim to get through all the stages involved in a dive bomb attack.  It would be awesome to have in our Stuka.  As is we have to do extreme deviations in pitch trim to optimize our performance.  It works ok but it's another compromise.

And yes I did mix up BoX and CLOD with the Afrika comment, but rather intentionally.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FlyingShark said:

Guys,

read the news:

Have a nice day.

:salute:

Ask and ye shall receive?

I'm actually kind of surprised they implemented it after all this time. But good news anyway!

Case closed!

I'd like to say a massive thanks to Jason and the team!

It finally happened! :drink2:

• Upvote 2

I love my Stuka.  I want to fly it in a Moscow campaign.  I don't care if it's a B or a D or whatever, the Moscow campaign without the Stuka is incomplete.    And now that I've moved to Las Vegas, just like Jason, he has to fix it for me.  :)