Legioneod

Extra Bodenplatte Aircraft

What collector aircraft would you like to see in the future if the devs decide to make extra aircraft for Bodenplatte.  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Allied

• Typhoon
    • P-47 D-22 Razorback
    • Spitfire XIV
    • P-51 B/C
    • P-47M
    • Mosquito
    • A-20G/J
    • Gloster Meteor
    • A-26
    • B-26 Marauder
    • C-47
    • P-61
  2. 2. Axis

• Bf 109 G-10
    • Fw 190 A9
    • Ar 234
    • Me 163
    • Ta 152
    • Me 410
    • Fiat G.55

It's fast, twin-engined, heavily armed, and frequently flew intruder & attack missions during the BoBP timeframe. Moreover 422nd Night Fighter Squadron and a detachment of 414th NFS were based within the map, 425 NFS close by. A Mosquito FB and NF combined and fitting the scenario.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Voidhunger said:

I would say Me163 but its pointless now. So my vote goes to Ta 152

JG 301 received Ta 152 H0 and H1 Jan/Feb 1945, some 15 odd planes, first based at Alteno Air Base near Luckau, then at Neustadt-Glewe in Mecklenburg. So my guess is, if there ever will be an Eastfront expansion dealing with the timeframe Okt 44 to April 45 we eventually might see this bird. For BoPl, however it is out of scope. 

Edited by sevenless

10 minutes ago, =27=Davesteu said:

It's fast, twin-engined, heavily armed, and frequently flew intruder & attack missions during the BoBP timeframe. Moreover 422nd Night Fighter Squadron and a detachment of 414th NFS were based within the map, 425 NFS close by. A Mosquito FB and NF combined and fitting the scenario.

For it to fulfil its NF role it would need its Radar. I cant see that being implemented at this juncture or indeed any juncture.

What you are  left though is still a capable and interesting GA and intruder aircraft that (in its GA tasks) could be modelled using only the pilot position (given many ETO P61s had no dorsal turret to require the gunnery operator) - Although it would be a shame not to model the other positions it does lessen the work whilst still providing an historically relevant airframe with which to undertake an accurate timeframe specific role. 

The turret's dual control would have caused serious problems (cf. Ju 52 co-pilot). Fortunately it wasn't present on most ETO aircraft.
Going from the GGS, I'm convinced they could pull off a functional radar. But yes, the aircraft would work just fine even without it. However, I'd love to see it included.

As Luftwaffe Nachtschlachtgruppen are going to be part the campaign, there would be a historical use for it. A rare chance to introduce night-fighting into the tactical nature of IL2 BoX scenarios.

Edited by =27=Davesteu

12 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

So what? Neither did the 190 at Stalingrad, full stop.

We have a map (and several scripted campaigns for it, at that) for it, full stop.

11 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

The point is, though, the airplanes I referred to (while not being all that common anymore) did operate in the general area and are plausible for the theater of operations.

They operated in that general area before the timeframe that Bodenplatte is simulating. That's my point in all of this. 

2 hours ago, =27=Davesteu said:

Which the Mosquito was also. I get the impression you like to argue and show you're knowledgeable about everything BoBP will and should be. If so, I guess you can continue with others. I've made my arguments for little impact on your point of view.

19 hours ago, Rjel said:

Which the Mosquito was also. I get the impression you like to argue and show you're knowledgeable about everything BoBP will and should be. If so, I guess you can continue with others. I've made my arguments for little impact on your point of view.

Eh, what? Last time you wrote:

On 8/13/2018 at 6:29 PM, Rjel said:

I don't think the P-61 measures up to the Mosquito in any of the criteria I used to judge why the Mosquito would be a welcomed addition to BoX. 

I answered.
Obviously you want the Mosquito because it's famous. That's your one argument. Fair enough, but I don't think it's a good one.

Edited by =27=Davesteu

2 hours ago, =27=Davesteu said:

Eh, what? Last time you wrote:

I answered.
Obviously you want the Mosquito because it's famous. That's your one argument. Fair enough, but I don't think it's a good one.

You can think that if you want. Your opinions mean as much to me as mine do to you. Your posting style is quite combative and self important. 

Regardless, to clarify, I don't think the P-61 has comparable speed, load carrying capacity and as good as it might have been as a purposely built nightfighter, it certainly didn't have the versatility of the Mosquito. It most certainly cannot boast the war record of the Mosquito. 

Now, as this is just an opinion poll, I've stated mine. Whether you agree or not, does not matter to me. Just so we are both clear. 

1 hour ago, Rjel said:

Regardless, to clarify, I don't think the P-61 has comparable speed, load carrying capacity and as good as it might have been as a purposely built nightfighter, it certainly didn't have the versatility of the Mosquito. It most certainly cannot boast the war record of the Mosquito. 

P61A-11 could carry up to 3200lb of bombs over 2 wing pylons plus some had the further option of a further 1000lb on a central fuse pylon. The Mossie FBVI had a 2000lb capacity (2 x500lb  internally, 2 on wing hardpoints). 6 HVAR rockets on the P61 compared to 8 60lb rockets for the mossie was an alternative load. P61As proved effective in the night intruder, GA and close support role as well as the original NF task. .  P61Bs had a capacity of 6400lb over 4 wing pylons but I don't think many if any saw ETO service.

Comparison of performance between NF types was tried twice but is mired accusations of either the brits not trying hard enough in order to dissuade the Americans from demanding the mossie and, later, the Americans cheating by using a Souped up p61A. Either way the 61 was reported to have a better climb and turn rate than the mossie.it was up against but this pinch of salt stuff. 

The  R2800-65 WEP engined P61 A-10 would have been considerably more capable than the early lower powered and non WEP version tested by the British prior to its US ETO deployment and the RAFs selection of the Mossie over the P61 as a Night Fighter ( an oft cited reason in the "Mosquito was certainly far and away the better aircraft" argument). That not to say the mossie wasn't ultimately better all round just to say not by the margins imagined. 

The versatility of the mossie also requires some considerable versioning. An FB was not an F with bombs. The F, NF and PRs were dedicated types with no capability to bomb, The Bs conversely had no guns. So the versatility argument for the aircraft is moot (to me a least) if its offered as a collector given the vast number of changes in armament, cockpit layout, nose design, loudouts and engine features. It would likely be one type and that would likely be the FB MkVI and I don't think people should be under any illusion that a 1GCS mossie would somehow replicate those multi version airfix kits from the 1970s and give them 6 types in options menu.

Personally I be delighted to see either the FB MKVI or a late P61A (perhaps the P61 slightly more). As a night fighter the mosquito almost certainly had the edge over the P61 if not in every department but as ground attack platforms (the versions and roles most likely to be seen) those margins close. My fear is that if ever the P61 was even considered, the presence or clamour for the mossie will be justification enough for the devs to call "too similar" in the likely game roles and pick the latter only.

• Like 1

Argh, so many nice planes and only limited development resources. I hope they will surprise us with some nice collector planes as they have in the past. 

Me-410 with a proper Stuvi dive bombing sight would be very useful on multiplayer servers where most of the bombing is a dive at a very high speed against heavily fortified positions...

I voted for the Tiffie, the ground pounder for the British/Canadian sectors, common for the full proposed duration of BoBP and should, I assume, save the devs some time/resources by recycling some of the Tempest... but my money would be on the XIV if the devs do add more collector aircraft.

1 hour ago, =27=Davesteu said:

The Ar 234 B-2 had a dive bombing sight included in its periscope. :)

Me-410 can be used in multiple roles and is the historical continuation and final step of the Bf-110 line we have. There are many players who love to fly those online and I'm sure that it would be a popular choice.

The Arado looks very different from all the planes we have, they'd need to figure out the JATO procedure on the B-2 and even with it I'm not sure it would be able to take off from the short airfields on the eastern front that we use in multiplayer...

2 hours ago, OpticFlow said:

Me-410 with a proper Stuvi dive bombing sight would be very useful on multiplayer servers where most of the bombing is a dive at a very high speed against heavily fortified positions...

that's what i'm thinking, the 410 would be the perfect opportunity to give us a StuVi that could also be use on the 87 and 88

On 8/10/2018 at 7:04 AM, Legioneod said:

I know people say these polls are pointless but I'm curious to see what people think.

If the devs ever decide to add 2 more collector aircraft to bodenplatte which ones would you be most interested in seeing. If you have any suggestions put it in the comments.

I wasnt sure what to really pick for the Axis so I just selected a few interesting aircraft.

Hey Legioneod,

Please could you add another aircraft to the list of Axis aircraft... see my post on this thread. Please could you add the Fiat G.55 Centauro, perhaps the best Axis fighter of the war, although by 1944 it was a bit underpowered with it's Daimler Benz 605, without the late war modifications added to the German DB605 likethe AS version or MW50 etc. But would handle nicely with better turn rate than any other late war Axis fighter, plus it did appear late on in 1945 for the Germans, albeit in small numbers.

Thanks

Algy

33 minutes ago, Algy-Lacey said:

Hey Legioneod,

Please could you add another aircraft to the list of Axis aircraft... see my post on this thread. Please could you add the Fiat G.55 Centauro, perhaps the best Axis fighter of the war, although by 1944 it was a bit underpowered with it's Daimler Benz 605, without the late war modifications added to the German DB605 likethe AS version or MW50 etc. But would handle nicely with better turn rate than any other late war Axis fighter, plus it did appear late on in 1945 for the Germans, albeit in small numbers.

Thanks

Algy

I'll add it but as far as I'm aware only around 200 were produced during the war and it never saw service in or near the Bodenplatte area.