Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mewt

Germany Lifts Ban on Swastikas in Video Games

Recommended Posts

I'm all for historical accuracy, always have been... that includes all countries planes tanks and vehicles correctly marked.

I have made plastic models as a kid, made loads of them, always correctly marked...

Does that make me some kind of nazi?

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lensman said:

See, it's nuts.

There‘s a clear difference between symbols and utility vehicles. Especially since certain people use these symbols as such.

 

Also, it shall suffice that in certain countries, you absolutely don‘t want to see certain symbols in the streets anymore. While for some it may be a symbol of victory, but fot some it is a symbol of great shame. And for some it is even much worse.

 

The swastika is even the poster boy of political turd, which makes it very easy to ban. Some countries have varying felings about that (and maybe some new found sympathy), but on average it is for good reason not acceptable. 

 

As for this sim, including it just brings you serious issues and nothing is ti be gained, especially since you can skin the plane to your liking. Problem solved.

2 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

I'm all for historical accuracy, always have been... that includes all countries planes tanks and vehicles correctly marked.

I have made plastic models as a kid, made loads of them, always correctly marked...

Does that make me some kind of nazi?

 

 

I hope not. And the law doesn‘t ban that hobby of yours in the least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

Before, if there were nazi symbols of any kind, it wouldn‘t be assessed and in consequence you couldn‘t openly advertise it (biggest problem) and you couldn‘t sell it to minors.

oh yeaa, il-2 is advertised all over the world, tv, news papers, posters, planes dropping small ads over cities... i have never seen a single il-2 ad, EVER. Even if there are any, they are so meaningless.

 

Seems like all you do is trying to get all arguments possible just to defend point of not having that mark in game. Simple solution is to add button "Enable historical markings" solves all the problems, want it? Enable it. Don't want, stop crying and don't click enable...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

I'm all for historical accuracy, always have been... that includes all countries planes tanks and vehicles correctly marked.

I have made plastic models as a kid, made loads of them, always correctly marked...

Does that make me some kind of nazi?

 

 

 

Depends how it makes you feel when you look at a swastika.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, InProgress said:

oh yeaa, il-2 is advertised all over the world, tv, news papers, posters, planes dropping small ads over cities... i have never seen a single il-2 ad, EVER. Even if there are any, they are so meaningless.

It doesn‘t matter what I think. Fact is, if Jason included in the game he‘d expose himslf for a potentially a lot of trouble because some people do have issues with such makings. That‘s all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The swastika law is what it is, but let's be honest, it is just absurd.

Does somebody really believe that just seeing a swastika in a movie or a computer game is somehow endorsing and converting people into nazis? I guess seeing a red star is also converting people into commies? Even American white star is probably endorsing communism, just like apparently Finnish swastika is endorsing nazism? 

From psychological point of view, I would say that this absurd law might actually itself endorse sympathy towards nazism. It creates an image of an "oppressed" ideology that might attract some young people. 

But anyway, it is what it is. Maybe people will get over it once 100 years have passed from the end of the war. Or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

It doesn‘t matter what I think. Fact is, if Jason included in the game he‘d expose himslf for a potentially a lot of trouble because some people do have issues with such makings. That‘s all.

yea sure, especially with dozens of games already having it. And no one started world wide riots over game having swastica, especially if you have option to enable/disable it. Truth is, no one give a damn about it. Maybe few sonwflakes would cry, but i doubt these kidn of people know about this game or even play games...

 

It's like PETA crying over battlefield 3 because you killed rat in campaign, did anyone care about it? Just stupid PETA crying for few days just so news would write about them.. same here, no one will care if it will have these mark.

Edited by InProgress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Does that make me some kind of nazi?

I'm a classical british liberalist (so to those on the far left they probably think I'm into goose stepping) but the way the political compass has shifted, it seems anyone who is slightly right of Marx these days is viewed as "far right".

 

I like you are for 100% historically accurate markings. Banning something doesn't make it go away. Saying that though, the policy in IL2 regarding the swastika will probably never change. Thank heavens for mods on and custom skins.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Saying that though, the policy in IL2 regarding the swastika will probably never change. 

 

It’s less 1C’s policy, more Russian law.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PB_Cybermat47 said:

 

It’s less 1C’s policy, more Russian law.

Death to spies moment of truth is russian game if i am not wrong, published by 1C, has swasticas. Guess it's not impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Depends how it makes you feel when you look at a swastika.

Not speaking for Trooper, but personally, I don't feel anything, but when I see one on a German Aircraft from WWII, I think that's an historically accurate set of markings. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, InProgress said:

oh yeaa, il-2 is advertised all over the world, tv, news papers, posters, planes dropping small ads over cities... i have never seen a single il-2 ad, EVER. Even if there are any, they are so meaningless.

 

Seems like all you do is trying to get all arguments possible just to defend point of not having that mark in game. Simple solution is to add button "Enable historical markings" solves all the problems, want it? Enable it. Don't want, stop crying and don't click enable...

If you ever looked at the Il-2 steam page then you have seen one according to the Germans. Games that got on the German Index Aren't allowed to be displayed in Stores. With a German Account you won't find Certain games on Steam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sarpalaxan said:

If you ever looked at the Il-2 steam page then you have seen one according to the Germans. Games that got on the German Index Aren't allowed to be displayed in Stores. With a German Account you won't find Certain games on Steam.

... first of all:

"German allows swastika in games now."

 

Second, ever heard of regional versions? Even before that germany got censored version of games, even america or other countries. Not only swastica but blood, nudity etc. Devs sell what they make to most of the countries and just censore version for countries who can't accept nudity, violence or markings because it's so bad for little kids..

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by InProgress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude, Relax.

It was just to point out that not being able to advertise your game in germany s worse that one might logically would think.

 

Second, they now have a chance of getting a rating. Not all games automaticaly are allowed to have them and from how i know the mindset of such things a Game in wich you can play as a Literal Nazi, Shooting down Allies without anyone telling you that you are bad and should feel bad for doing what you do. That could be a problem. (not in my mind but in the mind of the usk)

 

third. Yes Bethesta has the money to Shave Hitler, call Nazis the Regime and literally exchange the Word Jew with Traitor. But those Razor's aren't cheap. I don't know how dificult it would be, but they decided to not include them. Don't like it, use an Accurat Skin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sarpalaxan said:

Dude, Relax.

It was just to point out that not being able to advertise your game in germany s worse that one might logically would think.

What relax? I just answer you, german ban is lifted, you can always make region version for difrent countreis. Where was i being angry or mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, InProgress said:

What relax? I just answer you, german ban is lifted, you can always make region version for difrent countreis. Where was i being angry or mean?

 

The German ban is lifted on a case by case basis, however your game still gets rated with a higher ESRB rating.

 

I agree that swastikas are abhorrent symbols of an ideology that, if it had had it's way, would have wiped out an order of magnitude more people than Stalin killed. There's no comparison. I'm happy for that symbol to be excluded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Talon_ said:

I agree that swastikas are abhorrent symbols of an ideology that, if it had had it's way, would have wiped out an order of magnitude more people than Stalin killed. There's no comparison. I'm happy for that symbol to be excluded. 

But you are ok with soviet markings? Or future japanese? If answer is yes, then it's kind of hypocrisy :rolleyes:

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, InProgress said:

But you are ok with soviet markings? Or future japanese? If answer is yes, then it's kind of hypocrisy :rolleyes:

 

None of those markings are the political symbol of an ideology based around the primary aim of genocide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

I merged the topics about Germany changing its law. 

 

Keep it civil and leave all politics out of the topic or it will be deleted.

 

Also that 1 country changes it's law doesn't mean something have to change here. As a matter of fact, I do not see that changing at all.

 

Haash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, InProgress said:

What relax? I just answer you, german ban is lifted, you can always make region version for difrent countreis. Where was i being angry or mean?

Well the 4 times bigger bold text ant the Have you ever heared of part kind of seemed pretty agressive to me. Sorry I missunderstood that. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As usual, this is a non issue.

 

Businesses are in business to make a profit. In this hyper sensitive social media age, no one is going to stick their neck out on this issue.

 

For the players that really want to see it, just download the skins and/or mods.

Edited by Sgt_Joch
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sarpalaxan said:

Well the 4 times bigger bold text ant the Have you ever heared of part kind of seemed pretty agressive to me. Sorry I missunderstood that. 

 

 

This happens when you copy and paste topic title.

 

43 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

 

None of those markings are the political symbol of an ideology based around the primary aim of genocide.

:rofl: oh man, you are so funny, hammer and sicle is not political, based on soviet ideology, you should try comedy or simply go back to school if you are for real.

 

But i am not gonna talk about politic here, believe if you want that soviets were good guys and never killed anyone, gulags are fake etc. I don't care.

25 minutes ago, Sgt_Joch said:

For the players that really want to see it, just download the skins and/or mods.

Does it really work? And replace all people and AI skins? And not only make them look default or you fly with default skin in multiplayer. This was a problem for any fan made skin in winter because you were having normal gray skin and you were the only one who saw it as winter one.

Edited by InProgress
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, InProgress said:

:rofl: oh man, you are so funny, hammer and sicle is not political, based on soviet ideology, you should try comedy or simply go back to school if you are for real

 

I have no time for whataboutism. Soviets killed a lot of people but genocide of an entire race is not a feature of their ideology. Nazism is clearly far worse because a fundamental tenet of the ideology is to wipe out every single "undesirable". I do not wish to see such abhorrence displayed in a place I go to have fun.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×