BiBa

IL first impression & 3 question marks...

As a newbie, I want to say first how thrilled I am with the IL-2 graphics & the FPS engine output especially in the VR performance! 

I've started flying IL at 9 PM until my butt started itching to find out that it was 4 am on a straight 7 hours flight! 

I've set every graphics option with 4K texture on the highest level, and still, my VR gave me an almost constant 25 FPS; a result I would have never expected, as other so-called no. 1 Sims (without naming them) wouldn't even exceed the 10 FPS rate with the same graphics settings apt to my PC Specs, let alone other side effects like pic stutter & other quirks... 

A great job you have done there IL with the programming of the graphics engine!*****

Now to my 3 questions task:

1. Interactive Cockpit: 
From the YouTube Requiem's Air Combat Tutorial Library / Learn to Fight: Virtual Lessons in Air Combat, I got the first impression we are dealing with interactive cockpits, but I couldn't find any option in the Key config setting to activate the mouse in the cockpit. Pleeease don't tell me all these wonderful animated cockpit buttons and wheels etc are not clickable! Out of the aircrafts' flight characteristics and its environment, it fulfills all the claims of a simulation. Not an interactive clickable cockpit does drop it unfortunately down to the level of a game when it has all it needs to be branded as 
simulator. Also, an interactive cockpit means you only need to occupy the Joystick keyboard with commands and fly without spending too much time assigning commands to the HOTAS! So if there is indeed no mouse interactive cockpit, is IL-2 planning to fill the gap any time soon? 

2. TrackIR: 
First I encountered problems starting IL-2, as it started in VR mode, because my Pimax 4K HMD was disconnected and IL started with a black screen, so it took me a while to figure out that I have to go into the setting to change it there. (Wouldn't it be practical to have the VR option in the IL-Launcher?) But yet I still did not manage to find TrackIR in the setting devices to make it work. Did I miss something there, or is TrackIR indeed not embedded in the Hardware periphery programming? 

3. 3D NVIDIA
I started IL in 3D mode and I was welcomed in the interface with a wonderful 3D Hangar depicting a slowly revolving airplane. But the game (damn how I hate that word as a sim Pilot) remained in 2D, even though my 3D monitor display was green. Did something went wrong or is IL not 3D compatible? 

• Like 1

Hi Biba,

Good to see that you are enjoying yourself in IL2 GB.

There are no interactive cockpits. Many functions you can map to your hotas, or use the keyboard. The automated start sequence goes through the motions of starting all these war birds up with a single key press. I for one am happy to observe, rather than try to commit all the start up checklists for all the different airframes to memory. It doesn't take anything away from the joy of flying these birds, and we do have "complex" engine management to keep us busy in flight.

I can't answer your track ir, or 3d nvidia questions as I play exclusively in the oculus rift. I get between about 45 - 90 FPS, mostly around 45. You should aim for higher FPS over ultra detail in VR as you will find it a more comfortable experience, and the game still looks great in VR on lower than max settings. I use balanced

32 minutes ago, =FEW=Herne said:

Hi Biba,...There are no interactive cockpits. Many functions you can map to your hotas, or use the keyboard. The automated start sequence goes through the motions of starting all these war birds up with a single key press. I for one am happy to observe, rather than try to commit all the start up checklists for all the different airframes to memory. It doesn't take anything away from the joy of flying these birds, and we do have "complex" engine management to keep us busy in flight...

Thanks for the prompt reply, 

simulations with interactive cockpits also have the options for a "Hot or Cold Start", or extra "Cheat options" for an automatic start. My point is: the pilot has the choice between the two. And using the word pilot means the "Gamer" can evolve to higher levels and can fly simultaneously in any Aircraft without bothering with the lengthy process of HOTAS programming because he can directly interact with the instruments. I can assure you sir it would also be a lucrative payback for IL's finance. I'll be willing to pay up to 50$ for each plane with an interactive cockpit...

Personally, as from my Simmer's point of view, this is exactly the missing link between enjoyment and total exaltation!

23 minutes ago, 15thJonRedcorn said:

25 frames a second in VR is far too low. That's a slideshow.

Compared to my PC Specs (check it up in my signature) or to what PC high ends you're referring to?

Edited by BiBa

Apart from startup procedure and some system management (mainly radio) which were very few in WWII compared to modern avionics, you end up with the same workload in IL2 non interactive pits vs DCS/CloD full/half interactive stuff. It's honestly cosmetic relative to wwii combat simulation. IL2 is not less hardcore

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BiBa said:

simulations with interactive cockpits also have the options for a "Hot or Cold Start", or extra "Cheat options" for an automatic start. My point is: the pilot has the choice between the two. And using the word pilot means the "Gamer" can evolve to higher levels and can fly simultaneously in any Aircraft without bothering with the lengthy process of HOTAS programming because he can directly interact with the instruments. I can assure you sir it would also be a lucrative payback for IL's finance.  

Personally, as from my Simmer's point of view, this is exactly the missing link between enjoyment and total exaltation!

Compared to my PC Specs (check it up in my signature) or to what PC high ends you're referring to?

Well just because things are currently the way they are, doesn't mean that it will never change. Its all about time and resource, click pits may be too good an opportunity to miss in the future once VR is more mainstream and VR peripherals are "more mature"

currently so far as I am aware, the Dev team have enough on their plate to keep them busy for years. They have to make time for all the improvements they do, and they are at the end of the day a relatively small game studio, that do an outstanding job of building their products on time, and to a high standard. You can fly each of these birds for many hours, and still find that occasionally you will discover something new.

I really hope you give it a chance to impress you with all it's nuances BiBa

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, =FEW=Herne said:

Well just because things are currently the way they are, doesn't mean that it will never change. Its all about time and resource, click pits may be too good an opportunity to miss in the future once VR is more mainstream and VR peripherals are "more mature"

currently so far as I am aware, the Dev team have enough on their plate to keep them busy for years. They have to make time for all the improvements they do, and they are at the end of the day a relatively small game studio, that do an outstanding job of building their products on time, and to a high standard. You can fly each of these birds for many hours, and still find that occasionally you will discover something new.

I really hope you give it a chance to impress you with all it's nuances BiBa

As mentioned before; I am enough impressed & thrilled for now with the IL performance to keep me up with you for a goood time, and I'm happy to hear that there are some "midwife" programmers aware and prepared for the birth of a "more mature" and "touchable" cockpit.

I'm really looking forward to that "Touchy Cockpit" soon!

• Confused 1

I object to the clickable cockpit 

since a few things the pilot used during the dogfight 

and most of it comes with muscle memory 

so looking at a cockpit to click something during a dogfight is not realistic since most ww2 pilots depend on muscle memory which you can achieve by key mapping the buttons on a HOTAS 

unlike modern aircrafts which you have to look at the cockpit compartments “computerized instead of muscle memory” 

hope you inderstood something out of my poor english 

Edited by [9thSS]BlackRaven
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

Pretty sure Jason stated some time ago that click pits would never be a thing in this sim. But of course I guess things can change.

I personally have no real desire for them, have all my needed commands assigned to my HOTAS and use Voice Attack for wingmen commands. And I fly in VR so the HOTAS concept is very crucial for me. 

Now if they were to someday implement just enough click pit to go through the startup routine manually, I would not complain but certainly is not something for me I would consider a major necessity for this sim.

Honestly click pits in vr right now would suck I'd have to use my mouse which would make things entirely too difficult. It'd be one thing with trackir.

Also I'm getting anywhere from 50-70 frames a second in vr. On the best spotting settings in the vr subforum. I should probably lower a few things to try and get it higher. You want at least 45 fps, that's the minimum. Granted you said you have a pimax 4k that's harder to run and with your graphics card I'd be putting everything on the lowest settings possible to keep that frame rate up. 

Edited by 15thJonRedcorn
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 15thJonRedcorn said:

Honestly click pits in vr right now would suck I'd have to use my mouse which would make things entirely too difficult. It'd be one thing with trackir. 

Needs better technology ... gloves that work as the hand sets currently do.  Something that would sense natural hand motions and respond just as if you really pushed a button or pulled a lever.  Not there yet :)

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, BiBa said:

simulations with interactive cockpits also have the options for a "Hot or Cold Start", or extra "Cheat options" for an automatic start. My point is: the pilot has the choice between the two. And using the word pilot means the "Gamer" can evolve to higher levels and can fly simultaneously in any Aircraft without bothering with the lengthy process of HOTAS programming because he can directly interact with the instruments. I can assure you sir it would also be a lucrative payback for IL's finance. I'll be willing to pay up to 50$ for each plane with an interactive cockpit...

There is cold start in IL2 - start from 'Parked" setting in QMB. Cheats are available in realism setup menu.

Dev team figured otherwise, and I can see why. VR crowd is less than 5% of overall gamer number so everyone else can deal with working on keyboard/hotas.

Also, a miniscule number of gamers would pay $50 or even $20 for each aircraft. Even now IL2 is being criticised for its title/collector aircraft pricing, since people compare Great Battles to War Thunder which is "free".

As for my opinion, for clickable pits I have DCS and yes I enjoy clicking stuff. DCS will be as big as IL2 Great Battles in 20 years at the pace they keep popping out new planes.

Now if I want a WWII war sim I fire up IL2 Great Battles because it has much more content and possibilities that are here and now.

3 hours ago, BiBa said:

I'm really looking forward to that "Touchy Cockpit" soon!

Uhhh..... this isn’t going to happen soon. Or maybe at all. Jason has expressed that he doesn’t want to do this, until a long while in the future, and even doing so would put extra strain on the team. Clickpits have been discussed to death in this forum. 

Edited by angus26

The cockpits simply weren't created for clickable use. It would be a huge amount of work, to change them all, to clickable pits. I don't see this happen anytime in the next years.

The Pilot can have a clickable Cockpit AND have his same commands assigned to the HOTAS as usual.

ONE DOES NOT EXCLUDE THE OTHER!

It is only an extra bonus for a realistic cold start which also provides a quick lead-in for a quick flight without the painful process of Keyboard assignment.

It seems that I've unintentionally rummaged in a wasp nest with this sensible „old topic“ with allergic side-effects I didn't know of.

Sorry for that. That was not my purpose. I surely didn't start a poll as a newbie to question or compromise IL-2 values.

I only Had three questions.

Question one is closed...

Now can anyone have the benefit to give me an answer to the remaining two questions?

What about TrackIR & 3D NVIDEA?

Edited by BiBa

I have played it in 3d. its been a while, I remember it working well, I have since moved to VR. I could be that it was before the implementation of VR compatibility. So I am not sure of its current compatibility. I seem to remember a problem with the clouds being a bit off.

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Needs better technology ... gloves that work as the hand sets currently do.  Something that would sense natural hand motions and respond just as if you really pushed a button or pulled a lever.  Not there yet :)

It's coming, maybe will see with Rift CV2.

zuckglovebetter.jpg.84a6617d245cb49a3236cc5131414e11.jpg

Edited by dburne

2 hours ago, 15thJonRedcorn said:

DCS has a rather nice solution for this by having the possibility to simply aim with your headset towards the control you wish to flip and use 2 HOTAS buttons as left and right mouse buttons. So you just look somewhere and left or right click on controls. I've removed unneeded stuff from my HOTAS keybinds in DCS since I switched to this setup.

It's nice in DCS, no more mouse needed, a good thing while waiting for a working technology solution for virtual hands in cockpit.

That said, again, Jason stated that clickable cockpits require a huuuuge amount of research and time, and that it's not profitable for the price level seen in IL2.

And like I said, IL2 is 90% true to life when it comes to combat flight workload (yes, this numbers comes out of my **** :) ). The added benefit of clickable cockpits vs the pricing and time required is not worth it, imho.

Look at all the things DCS is missing because they spend so much time on aircraft only. Theater, planeset, AI, tons of other things where IL2 is getting things done better, are missing or subpar in DCS. It's because the planes themselves are a huge timesink.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love both sims, but clickable pits would probably come with a cost in other departments that I don't wan't to see IL2 pay (be it aircraft price, and / or delay in other important departments of the sim)

Edited by kalbuth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BiBa said:

What about TrackIR

TrackIR definitely works. I, like many others, am using it. Doesn't one have to select it under 'Titles' in TrackIR? I don't know anymore, since it is too long ago, that I started playing BOS.

Allways ! a more fast and  powerfull graphic card for VR pimax 4k , 8k will be need , This September will be the release of the Nvidia Gtx 1180Ti  

And 30 of August the Nvidia Gtx1180 

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1180-ti-specs-benchmarks-leaked-gt102-turing-gpu-with-10752-cuda-cores-2-5ghz-clock-titan-crushing-performance/

https://youtu.be/7boC8Gw2W48

Edited by RAY-EU

COD or ClOD had the choice between clickable cockpit and not and it did work well or nicely for others. But the game was never a great success. I have played it and even made some videos from it. The lack of success was not due to to its clickable cockpit but more to the FPS that where terrible on most of the mid-range computers and even on some big machines.

Trackir works very nicely in this IL2 Battle series games I try it from time to time. Why do I not use it Always? Because I did change home I my setup is not adapted to the IR function anymore during the day to much light.

VR mode I do not know I do not use it.

The plus of this games series BOX Battle Of XXXX 

1/ the multitudes of planes!  One example; BF109 E7 to ME109 K4 all the important sub models are there to play with.

2/ the multitudes of maps! From the big ones to the small ones to fight multi players games.

3/ the price of the game module! Yes, it is a investment but there are many discounts and reductions and the games in them self-offers so many planes, maps, scenarios, campaigns and new features and those features are retrofitted to the old games that are better and better with each new edition of the game. Even graphics have improved with each edition and FPS.

And nearly one new air game a year is fantastic, no?

So if there is no clickable cockpit that is no Reason to not buy the game series. I did buy DCS and found it very costly and the modern planes plus clickable cockpit made it so I do not play it so often anymore.

Each of us have our likes and dislikes.:salute:

Edited by senseispcc

TiR works allright, but, coming to this series only recently, I also noticed it's finnicky compared to implementation in DCS. The bulletproof way for me is having it turned on, centered and unpaused before launching the game. Also, keep in mind every mission here starts with the sim itself paused, and in such scenario TiR doesn't work either (again, unlike in DCS). Unpause the game and you can look around OK then.

1 hour ago, RAY-EU said:

This September will be the release of the Nvidia Gtx 1180Ti. https://youtu.be/7boC8Gw2W48

What does that vid have to do with a release date for the 1180 Ti?

I can about guarantee you the Ti will not come for some time.

The 1180 possibly, but not the 1180 Ti.

Edited by dburne

OK, so TrackIR supposed to be working. That's good news.

Can someone using TrackIR would be kind enough to make me a snapshot of his Key Mapping of the part where it is supposed to be to find?

That would be helpful.

Many thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, tkcamp56tkcamp said:

I have played it in 3d. its been a while, I remember it working well, I have since moved to VR. I could be that it was before the implementation of VR compatibility. So I am not sure of its current compatibility. I seem to remember a problem with the clouds being a bit off.

Also in DCS since they've implemented VR, 3D has been having extreme problems with shadows.

It's been months now and they still haven't solved that.

But here it's not working at all.

Does the IL Tec-Support have any idea about that? 

I mean , if it has been working there must be some thread dealing with it as a bug, right?

Edited by BiBa

TrackIr just works as long as your software is up-to-date and your game updates in TiR software is up-to-date, there are no settings in Il-2 GB. Start up TiR software and go. I don't center until I'm on the runway.

nVidia 3D works as well. Cockpits are 3D, and it gets a bit less 3D and more 2D the further away something is from your view.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, =FEW=Herne said:

I can't answer your track ir, or 3d nvidia questions as I play exclusively in the oculus rift. I get between about 45 - 90 FPS, mostly around 45. You should aim for higher FPS over ultra detail in VR as you will find it a more comfortable experience, and the game still looks great in VR on lower than max settings. I use balanced

Hey Herne, I'm curious to know how powerful your Rig is?

I have a i5 6400 at 2.7 Ghz, 16 Gb of DDR4 (1600 Mhz?) and a 6 Gb GTX 1060 powering an Oculus Rift CV1. Should I try Balanced settings? I really don't understand the difference between the main presets...

2 minutes ago, Algy-Lacey said:

Hey Herne, I'm curious to know how powerful your Rig is?

I have a i5 6400 at 2.7 Ghz, 16 Gb of DDR4 (1600 Mhz?) and a 6 Gb GTX 1060 powering an Oculus Rift CV1. Should I try Balanced settings? I really don't understand the difference between the main presets...

I would use balanced first and then probably jump to low, that cpu is really slow, I run a 8700k at 4.9ghz, 16gigs of 3000mhz ram, and a 1070 oc'd and still have to use a mix of settings to get a decent frame rate. I have the same headset.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

3 minutes ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

I would use balanced first and then probably jump to low, that cpu is really slow, I run a 8700k at 4.9ghz, 16gigs of 3000mhz ram, and a 1070 oc'd and still have to use a mix of settings to get a decent frame rate. I have the same headset.

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, I will try Balanced Settings and ASW on all the time. Plus very minimal Steam VR SuperSampling. My CPU can use Turbo Boost to get 3.2 Ghz, but as of yet I have no idea how to switch Turbo Boost on! and my RAM may actually be 2100 Mhz, I can't really remember.

Just now, Algy-Lacey said:

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, I will try Balanced Settings and ASW on all the time. Plus very minimal Steam VR SuperSampling. My CPU can use Turbo Boost to get 3.2 Ghz, but as of yet I have no idea how to switch Turbo Boost on! and my RAM may actually be 2100 Mhz, I can't really remember.

Honestly in the headset cranking the graphics doesn't make a huge difference anyways, its the immersion that matters, and having a higher framerate delivers that.

• Thanks 1

yes I agree. I have a 4970k running on stock settings, so 4ghz with 4.4ghz boost and a 1080. I use balanced settings.

From what I understand the CPU is the bottleneck in game, but with balanced settings I do not get any low frame rate spikes in game. I first played with ultra, but when you get those low frame rate spikes you start to see a kind of ghosting on your target making it hard to ID

Edited by =FEW=Herne

15 hours ago, FuriousMeow said:

TrackIr just works as long as your software is up-to-date and your game updates in TiR software is up-to-date, there are no settings in Il-2 GB. Start up TiR software and go. I don't center until I'm on the runway.

nVidia 3D works as well. Cockpits are 3D, and it gets a bit less 3D and more 2D the further away something is from your view.

Meow - thanks a lot

with your confirmation, I double checked it again and finally came around the background of the problem.

Now both, TrackIR & 3D are working FANTASTICALLY!

Even with Ultra setting, the 4K Map & horizon set @ 150km, I'm getting about 60fps in 3D, which is in fact 2 x 60 = 120fps!

A big MEYAAAW to your ILyushin-2 performance; I adore it!

Now what was causing the problem was that after the change from IL-VR to normal, I found in Task Manager that 7 VR processors (4 of them STEAM) were still activated in the background, even though the HMD was disconnected and STEAM and the VR compositor were off. Not only the GPU core and base clock were still at high rate behaving as if the VR HMD was connected, the IL-Launcher froze quite a few time before IL could first start properly and that after shutting the 7 processors down manually. Now I'm not sure if this has been caused by the IL VR platform or due to personal PC problems - I'm happy anyway that it's working great and I know now how to deal with that problem next time.

Edited by BiBa

45 minutes ago, BiBa said:

Meow - thanks a lot

with your confirmation, I double checked it again and finally came around the background of the problem.

Now both, TrackIR & 3D are working FANTASTICALLY!

Even with Ultra setting, the 4K Map & horizon set @ 150km, I'm getting about 60fps in 3D, which is in fact 2 x 60 = 120fps!

A big MEYAAAW to your ILyushin-2 performance; I adore it!

Now what was causing the problem was that after the change from IL-VR to normal, I found in Task Manager that 7 VR processors (4 of them STEAM) were still activated in the background, even though the HMD was disconnected and STEAM and the VR compositor were off. Not only the GPU core and base clock were still at high rate behaving as if the VR HMD was connected, the IL-Launcher froze quite a few time before IL could first start properly and that after shutting the 7 processors down manually. Now I'm not sure if this has been caused by the IL VR platform or due to personal PC problems - I'm happy anyway that it's working great and I know now how to deal with that problem next time.

Good to know that you solved it. Well Done !!

out of interest how do you launch the game ? I open my steam library, and right click the game and select launch with VR. I used to use the game recordings if I wanted to make vids, so when I wanted to do this I would just right click and use the top option. Not made any vids for a while though so wonder if it is still behaving itself in recent builds.

4 minutes ago, =FEW=Herne said:

...out of interest how do you launch the game ?...

I also used to use the STEAM Library and start non-STEAM imported game in it, but since the last PiMax own Application upgrade, it's working better there, as STEAM has a lot of application extensions working in the background, that needlessly exhausts the CPU.

On 8/7/2018 at 12:20 PM, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

25 frames a second in VR is far too low. That's a slideshow.

The following AMD Phenom II X6 1090T "Instruction Set Extensions" of my CPU:
MMX
SSE
SSE2
SSE3

are not enough for VR. Even though it has 6 cores x 3200 MHZ frequency, the problem is with the missing two instruction sets the drivers look for VR: 
AVX

AVX2

I have no idea if it is possible to update the CPU driver with a patch that addon those two instructions sets, or it is indeed a hardware limitation. 

If someone got that problem solved, please let me know.

1 hour ago, BiBa said:

I have no idea if it is possible to update the CPU driver with a patch that addon those two instructions sets, or it is indeed a hardware limitation. 

It is a hardware limitation. 

1 hour ago, BiBa said:

Even though it has 6 cores x 3200 MHZ frequency, the problem is with the missing two instruction sets the drivers look for VR: 

That CPU is far too slow for VR anyway.

1 minute ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

It is a hardware limitation. 

That CPU is far too slow for VR anyway.

Thought so... 

Planning soon for the following upgrade:

AMD X399 MoBo 

M.2 SSD 1TB Drive 

16 cores 4.0GHz AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X CPU 

GTX1080Ti GPU 

4 X 16GB PC-3200 DDR4-RAM

I guess that will do it

That CPU is almost the opposite of what is currently needed in VR, a look at the "common baseline performance thread in the VR section of hardware should give some ideas. 

Box prefers faster single thread performance both  VR and standard. 

Nothing wrong with that CPU but it is not optimum for best results

Cheers, Dakpilot 

2 hours ago, BiBa said:

Thought so... 

Planning soon for the following upgrade:

AMD X399 MoBo 

M.2 SSD 1TB Drive 

16 cores 4.0GHz AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X CPU 

GTX1080Ti GPU 

4 X 16GB PC-3200 DDR4-RAM

I guess that will do it

I'd go with an 8700k. Or wait for the 8 core 9k series from intel. You will be super disappointed with that chip.

I have an FX 8350 and although it is getting on a but it does not work well with BOX but can run other new titles very well. This sim does not like AMD CPU's as they are designed for better multiple core performance but not very good single core performance. If running BOX even with a load of AI usage will not go above 40%.

Intel chip are the way to go for BOX as they generally have less cores but with better single core performance. 

Edited by AeroAce