NO_SQDeriku777

Are the Air Marshall and MP lobby still in the Dev roadmap?

AFAIK nothing has been said after it was first mentioned. I think the Air Marshall idea may have fallen flat on it's face due it being a good idea that is practically flawed because people would not use it or listen to its comands.

As for the lobby, they have said they want it but need to find the time and resources but there has been no official road map. 

3 hours ago, AeroAce said:

Air Marshall idea may have fallen flat on it's face due it being a good idea that is practically flawed because people would not use it or listen to its comands.

If a server had "Air Marshall" then any transgressors, or gung-ho lone wolves could be banned? 

But in reality, I agree it probably will be allowed to wither on the vine...if it is on a vine yet.

It has been promised as a feature, and with a fair bit of fanfare... if the devs are going to renege on their promise they should at least tell us. 

As keen as I am to get away from the Eastern Front, I’d rather have a better multiplayer experience first. 

It it was supposed to arrive with BoK, wasn’t it?

I understood from announcements at the time that was the reason for the delays in the first place. 

I am sure this feature is still in works, but they have so much work to do releasing FC TC and BoB

So we have to be patient.

• Upvote 1

I think working on this is waste of time, and it implementation wuold only have bad performance impact on MP, like when they added this new extra in game stats data that no one asked for, so hope they dont work on this.

We already have air marshal in game and its caled Drinkins or TeufelHunden, you join server when they are on server ( thats usealy anytime) and just you ask them what to do and what target to attack or defend, they know better then anyone whats important and players lise to it, no one would lisen some random guys comands in game insted experts who can now dictate what to do online. And no aditional imact on game by adding useless futures. 

• Haha 1

If air Marshall was just that, yes, it's probably not that useful... on "random" servers like WoL. TAW might find some decent uses for it. The fac tthat a couple players might know everything about what needs to be done to win a particular map boils down to unimaginative map design.

With that said, if Air Marshall was, in the future, bringing radar to the table (which would make sense in the context of BoBp, and maybe Pacific?), then it would add some great value to MP. You would definitely listen to the guy if he was able to direct you towards enemy planes, or away from them if you're an attacker.

Edited by Quinte

I honestly can't see it working very well and I may be mistaken but I think the AM will not be able to fly, I'm not sure who will be up for that. It has always seemed like a gimic. Also on most servers with in game reports and being able to see if a target has been destroyed or not on the map it will make the AM largely redundant. 

I think if the devs truly design it well from a game play perspective it could work but I'm not sure.

Edited by AeroAce

IMO I think we will see the new lobby in the full release of BoBp. I honestly don’t think we’re getting air Marshall. I honestly can’t say I think it would be a good idea, exceptmaybe in organized servers and coops.

I know it has naysayers now but I think Air Marshal will work. I've watched some great videos of what DCS' GCI interactions are like and that was working well even in a pub server with far more limited features from what I understand Air Marshal to be. Watch Ralfidude's MAGIC is Sunrise: https://youtu.be/dUepvekCHhI

I know Air Marshal and GCI aren't exactly the same thing but I hope a WWII equivalent would be engaging. The server would have to cater to that style of play and it would encourage players working that way to fly that way but I don't think its a waste of resources to build and implement. We already have TAW that focuses on player sides and campaigns and I think this would be next level.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

I think working on this is waste of time, and it implementation wuold only have bad performance impact on MP, like when they added this new extra in game stats data that no one asked for, so hope they dont work on this.

We already have air marshal in game and its caled Drinkins or TeufelHunden, you join server when they are on server ( thats usealy anytime) and just you ask them what to do and what target to attack or defend, they know better then anyone whats important and players lise to it, no one would lisen some random guys comands in game insted experts who can now dictate what to do online. And no aditional imact on game by adding useless futures. 

This game could be so much more than the WOL experience.  THIS GAME IS NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE LIMITED TO THE WOL EXPERIENCE.  WOL is effectively dominated by a few players that have logged thousands of hours of flight time.  They disproportionately slaughter opposing players and bomb all the targets.  New players get bored or frustrated because they can't really make a difference and feel like they are working as a team towards a common goal.  Those of us that would rather play on campaign oriented servers or special events ( which have woefully disappeared now ) see the clear benefits of an AirMarshall with Mission briefings, flight plots, etc.. I would also warrant that more people would buy and fly Premium planes like the JU-52 if there were Air Marshall mediated special events such as emergency airfield evacuation missions.  I sure would. There is no way in hell I would ever buy one to fly on WOL as it is now.

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

IMO I think we will see the new lobby in the full release of BoBp. I honestly don’t think we’re getting air Marshall. I honestly can’t say I think it would be a good idea, exceptmaybe in organized servers and coops.

There is a whole range of features that could be implemented by the Air Marshall.  Some are fairly minimal such as sharing out map markings.  Watch video footage of the game Squad to see multiplayer information sharing interface done well.

• Upvote 4

Bunch of garbage this thread. The Marshal

feature is in development and it will be optional for servers. You’re criticizing and scheming to kill something that you have not even tried. When we have more to say about it we will post something. 

Jason

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 12

11 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

feature is in development and it will be optional for servers. You’re criticizing and scheming to kill something that you have not even tried. When we have more to say about it we will post something. 

Jason

Thank you for confirming it is still in development.  I am very much looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.  I hope very much that it will lead to a proliferation of Special Events built around Premium Planes.  I enjoy hosted coordinated events very much and would certainly be motivated to participate in events built around Premium planes ( JU-52, PO-2, HS-129, etc. )

• Upvote 1

If you watch Requiems video on how to fly the Spitfire MkIX you will see on the right hand side panel a device called Pip Squeak............. that's what Air Marshal is for..........  it will have it's greatest use in BoBP where IFF is more of a realistic feature.  If you don't speak German or Russian and have SAG's English language mod you will be more aware of your gunner call outs in multiplayer and single player.  In campaigns your wing-man will also call out contacts.  I would love to have a feature that improves my situational awareness in game, it would enhance the immersion a great deal.  And yes there is more to IL2GB life than Wings of Liberty.......................... 

Cheers

Hoss

Edited by 19//Hoss
  • Upvote 1

Would love to hear more about that mode, specifically how it`s meant to be for IL2 series, obviously can`t be the same as in DCS.

Air Marshal or Tank General or whatever would be nice in a dynamic longer term game/campaign, where the Marshal/General could decide which targets become active, what to recon, what to attack, where to attempt breakthrough and that sort of things. Something that would create more meaningful background to the battles instead of blue and red teams knowing exactly each other's targets and going at it the same way over and over again. Something like old SEOW, but built into the game. Don't know if something like that would be realistically doable for this game, though. 

20 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

Very good news ! Thanks... I cannot also stop me from thinking it could be an awesome SP feature in career when you are squadron leader (or above !) being able to set the strategy for the battle and to fly after with your squad following the plan. 

For the people disregarding this option, think outside WOL and TAW, and any dogfight server. Best mission's are in private campaign like some we have in French (and other) community, or Friday night bomber flight, coop mode with one life. I can assure you in this kind of event we already have people playing as air marshal : AKA setting a strategy and defining mission's for every squads , adjusting patrols depending on radio com etc.... and guess what ? , it works, and it is my best memories on IL2. With a proper interface and tool this would be awesome. 

Thanks Jason

S!

• Like 1

Has there ever been any feature description of this? If so, where? I searched the forum and except some posts from 2017 and 2016 asking what it will be or include I wasn´t able to find anything of substance. Am I missing something? In which thread was it announced and described?

If it is something like commander mode which was included in Battlefield 2 (2005) or Battlefield 4 (2013) forget about it on public servers. That ain´t working with randoms only on closed servers with dedicated teams willing to play by the rules it might have some merit by introducing a role-playing/strategic element. Playing the objective is unfortunately not what joe public is usually aiming for. He is more often than not flying to get a positive K/D or upping his killscore and he is happy to to do this as a lone wolf. 

14 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Check out the Q&A audio interviews. Jason gives a good explanation of his vision for Air Marshall.

Ahh thanks. The 2017 one here?

On 8/5/2018 at 6:01 AM, 77.CountZero said:

We already have air marshal in game and its caled Drinkins or TeufelHunden, you join server when they are on server ( thats usealy anytime) and just you ask them what to do and what target to attack or defend

Do the WoL players also get their dating advice from Bill Cosby?

• Haha 2