Sign in to follow this  
carts

Four Messerschmitts in one day,R.A.F. Cosford

Where else could you see four Messerschmitts ,and other stuff.

XJdE2P.jpg

AKvUAX.jpg

mstCfy.jpg

iJ7fSR.jpg

vCS4ey.jpg

NcqeBY.jpg

xgABmC.jpg

3dUcHF.jpg

RRmhSB.jpg

AIe4mh.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Damn!  That looks like a good day out.  Lovely photography too.  Thanks for sharing.  :salute:

The Canadian Air and Space Museum in Ottawa. He162, Bf109F-4, Me163, plus many other a/c.

Anyways thanks for posting.

2 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Damn!  That looks like a good day out.  Lovely photography too.  Thanks for sharing.  :salute:

+1

Must have been splendid, I really want to see that Boulton Paul Defiant. Must be rare

54 minutes ago, MiloMorai said:

The Canadian Air and Space Museum in Ottawa. He162, Bf109F-4, Me163, plus many other a/c.

I’m going to have to check all these places out... and of course, I have to recommend the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. Bf-109 G-6, Me-262, Me-163, Lancaster Mk.III, Albatros D.Va, S.E.5a, Pfalz D.XII, Avro 504K, D.H.9., Spitfire (Mk.IIa or Mk.Va), V-1, Saburo Sakai’s A6M2, Mosquito, CAC Mustang, P-40, Sea Fury, the joystick and compass from the Red Baron’s Triplane (425/17), and a vertical stabiliser from Heinz-Wolfgang Schnaufer’s Bf-110.

And that’s just the aircraft stuff I can remember :biggrin:

7 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

+1

Must have been splendid, I really want to see that Boulton Paul Defiant. Must be rare

Shes looks fairly menacing in the night fighter role,and suprisingly hefty

A couple more

MzkbdT.jpg

wV041i.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, carts said:

Where else could you see four Messerschmitts ,and other stuff.

Nowhere at the moment I don't think (may well be wrong thought). Australian War Memorial (AWM) is the closest in having a 163, a 262 and 2 x 109's, but one of the 109's is not currently on display, so can't be seen. But for a museum that's not a dedicated aero museum, not a museum really at all, being a war memorial, it has a fantastic selection of warbirds, especially WW2 era.

Great photos, I always find it a challenge to get good shot inside museums, the AWM for example has terrible lighting.

RAF Cosford has just moved a notch up the bucket list, thanks for sharing this :good:

8 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

I count only 2, so your only half way there :P

Edited by Pict

Posted (edited)

Cosford has taken over from the RAF Museum in Hendon as the place to go for 'our' kind of warbirds. Hendon has been re-vamped for the centenary of the RAF, and a lot of the aircraft have been shifted to Cosford. That Ju88 for example. Mind you, Cosford always had some interesting stuff anyway, the TSR2 and the Do17 fished out of the Goodwin Sands the other year for starters.

Edited by 216th_Cat

S!

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. A question..As I am going to Britain for the air show in september and we have time on friday to visit museums in London area would Cosford or Hendon be more preferred? We would like to see Ju87, 110 etc. Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. A question..As I am going to Britain for the air show in september and we have time on friday to visit museums in London area would Cosford or Hendon be more preferred? We would like to see Ju87, 110 etc. Thanks in advance.

The trouble with Cosford is that you have to go through Birmingham and Wolverhampton to get there.  From a UK pov it is not near London, but for N.Americans used to driving for three days to go to the cinema it might seem close.  ;) 

That is where I first had a few rides in gliders when my father was based there. No museum then. 

• Like 1

The Ju87 and Bf110 are supposedly still in Hendon (London), but with all of the revamping they've done for this year I've no idea whether they are actually on display atm.

S!

Thanks for the information. It will be Hendon and Imperial War Museum then before Duxford.

On 8/6/2018 at 6:06 PM, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

Thanks for the information. It will be Hendon and Imperial War Museum then before Duxford.

Duxford is fantastic,the cold war exhibit has

all 3 V bombers,The Vulcan,the Victor and the Valiant.

tIC4Bt.jpg

The chap on the right is my Dad,who was one of the armourers for this very Valiant during Operation Grapple on Christmas Island

4ewsrX.jpg

nPH0SO.jpg

Do 17 engines recovered from Goodwin sands

OIx3dW.jpg

The Japanese collection

vxNeBh.jpg

The Dinah

R0t7XY.jpg

The legendary MK108

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The only thing that grates with me at Cosford is the Vulcan. I know its correctly named for its manufacture but the Hawker Siddley Vulcan just doesn't sound right.

The rest of the museum - spot on. We visited last year as the Defiant neared its assembly and were fortunate to see the immaculately restored turret and engine bay. Helluva Job.  The Me 410 was starting to look a little "needy" though. 

Duxford is always worth a visit especially if you are London based. It not that far. 

The best advice I can give though is to avoid school holidays - nothing (much) against little humans but the loud little buggers don't half get in the way. Disinterested school parties (Hendon) are at least handcuffed together and can be avoided for the most part. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2018 at 10:06 PM, 216th_Cat said:

Cosford has taken over from the RAF Museum in Hendon as the place to go for 'our' kind of warbirds. Hendon has been re-vamped for the centenary of the RAF, and a lot of the aircraft have been shifted to Cosford. That Ju88 for example. Mind you, Cosford always had some interesting stuff anyway, the TSR2 and the Do17 fished out of the Goodwin Sands the other year for starters.

Yes Hendon was always my 'go to' place but Cosford is going to take over for me now. The lighting is much better too.

3 hours ago, BOO said:

The only thing that grates with me at Cosford is the Vulcan. I know its correctly named for its manufacture but the Hawker Siddley Vulcan just doesn't sound right.

What did sound right was one of those taking off - along with the English Electric Lightning it was the most amazing noise, as though the world was ending. I used to watch them at RAF Akrotiri when I was a child in the early sixties: peak Cold War.  Naturally I had no real idea at the time that the Vulcans would have been fully armed with H bombs. 

On 8/6/2018 at 6:01 AM, Pict said:

Nowhere at the moment I don't think (may well be wrong thought). Australian War Memorial (AWM) is the closest in having a 163, a 262 and 2 x 109's, but one of the 109's is not currently on display, so can't be seen.

Wait, the AWM has had a second Bf-109 this entire time?! Where can I find out more?

On 8/10/2018 at 4:03 PM, PB_Cybermat47 said:

Wait, the AWM has had a second Bf-109 this entire time?! Where can I find out more?

Bf 109 G-2 14798 GJ+QP, ex 8./JG 5 "Black 10"; Wayne Dawson New South Wales, is apparently now part of the AWM collection and is currently being restored, according to the list in the link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_Messerschmitt_Bf_109s

Sorry for the slow response, I've been out of town.

I would add that, according to a mate who used to work with the AWM at one point, the AWM collection is absolutely massive and the greater majority sits in storage warehouses, with only a tiny fraction every going on display...which is a bit of a shame.

Edited by Pict
  • Upvote 1