Sign in to follow this  
56RAF_phoenix56

How do I insert multiple cloud layers?

I very much like the dual layered clouds I see on some of the MP servers since 3.001 . How do I set this in the mission editor? The text mission file is equally uninformative as there seems no index associated with the cloud texture layer.

56RAF_phoenix

There are a few presets like this - you just have to select one of them - I used 2 or two in my A-20 campaign.

Thanks for replying Gambit, but I'm afraid I don't understand your answer, essentially what you mean by "presets".

Do you mean there are some missions released with the game that use the dual layer clouds, so I can examine the mission files?

I had a look at several of the Kuban ones, but can't see multiple layer clouds yet.

56RAF_phoenix

Wait a mo, are you saying that some of the cloud textures include clouds at different heights?

If so, that's hugely disappointing, I was hoping I could manually set the type of cloud and height.

56RAF_phoenix

You can set the height and thickness for the lower cloud layer. The upper one is either predefined or fixed. 

In the Picture we have the atmosphere options. The drop down list called Clouds, the first number and the describing word show you how heavy the lower cloud layer is, 04_overcast is overcast its level is 600 and the clouds end at 700 giving you 100 meters of clouds.

On the other side in the dropdown we have a second number, _09 in the picture which determines how many upper cloulds are.

On a different note, go in the editor in 3-D mode, point the camera upwards and observe the changes!

BO4YY2t.png

Thanks for the explanation Leon,

However, if a load your example "04_overcast_09", with , say 50m height, I get a thin layer of cloud that is 50m thick, but the clouds above are high and certainly not thick in the way that "_09" might suggest.

The effect I'd like to get would be something like broken nimbostratus, with altostratus above. Something you see a lot of in RL.

If I can't get it, I can't get it, but at least you've explained the system to me.

Thanks,

56RAF_phoenix

4 hours ago, 56RAF_phoenix56 said:

Thanks for replying Gambit, but I'm afraid I don't understand your answer, essentially what you mean by "presets".

Do you mean there are some missions released with the game that use the dual layer clouds, so I can examine the mission files?

I had a look at several of the Kuban ones, but can't see multiple layer clouds yet.

I can't remember the numbers of the presets right now, but a few have two layers.

You just have to go through the list (of the heavy presets) until you find it.

5 hours ago, 56RAF_phoenix56 said:

Thanks for the explanation Leon,

However, if a load your example "04_overcast_09", with , say 50m height, I get a thin layer of cloud that is 50m thick, but the clouds above are high and certainly not thick in the way that "_09" might suggest.

The effect I'd like to get would be something like broken nimbostratus, with altostratus above. Something you see a lot of in RL.

If I can't get it, I can't get it, but at least you've explained the system to me.

Thanks,

56RAF_phoenix

There's more details on pg. 205 of the editor manual but I wrote the manual before multi-layer clouds were introduced. As Gambit suggested, try some of the heavy preset options.

For the record, 03_heavy_08 is the only cloud texture I can find that has two layers of clouds (neglecting the cirrus for the moment).

Weirdly, they are both cumulus. In RL you don't get cumulus starting at two levels.

Not what I want, hopefully the devs will improve on this. Clouds will be particularly important in BoBp to offset the dominance of radar.

56RAF_phoenix

I did some tests and found that the 03_heavy_01 and 03_heavy_08 settings are the only ones that give you two cloud layers.

How do we play maps created by u guys ? I’m really interested on playing what u want to create with layers of clouds . If u ever make it work I would love to try it.

5 hours ago, MclLRoy said:

How do we play maps created by u guys ? I’m really interested on playing what u want to create with layers of clouds . If u ever make it work I would love to try it.

I've seen missions on Wings of Liberty now and then that use two-layer clouds. I imagine some of the single-player missions and campaigns posted use two-layer clouds also, but you would have to try the missions to see.

Here's a simple demo mission using the 03_heavy_08 setting I mentioned earlier. "03_heavy" refers to the amount of the lower-level clouds (in this case, two layers of lower-level clouds). "08" refers to the amount of high-level clouds (the wispy "Cirrus" clouds).

JimTMDemoTwoLayerClouds.zip

FYI, if you want to try tweaking the clouds in the Full Mission Editor (FME), see "Mission Atmosphere Options Dialog" on pg. 205 of the editor manual.

Edited by JimTM

Here's a shot from my A-20 campaign.

I used these layers in one or two missions.

2018_5_29__0_46_9.jpg

• Upvote 1