Jump to content
Jason_Williams

Developer Diary 198 - Discussion

Recommended Posts

The Bird is looking absolutely awesome. Cant wait to shoot it down and fly in it.
EDIT: If I ever manage to make time to actually fly again. So much to do:( At least my Gear is complete again.

Edited by Winger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ST_ami7b5 said:

Maybe the only WWII plane I don't like.
Sry guys :)

I had the same impression untill I ' v seen a razorback in Duxford.

It s cool, a real bulldog of the air.

I liked see it also during take off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, guidom said:

oh my favourite... can't wait to put it into a dive and break the sound barrier!
 

 

Not possible.  No prop driven aircraft has ever, nor will ever, break the sound barrier, as the flat plate drag of the prop disc cannot be overcome no matter how many BHP you throw at it, nor how many feet up you start your dive at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

 

No prop driven aircraft has ever, nor will ever, break the sound barrier, as the flat plate drag of the prop disc cannot be overcome no matter how many BHP you throw at it, nor how many feet up you start your dive at.

While I agree that no prop driven aircraft has ever broken the sound barrier, I'd be careful with the rest of the statement.

I don't believe that the claims of WW2 pilots about breaking the sound barrier in a dive are correct either, however...

Spitfire PR.XIX PS852 is known to have reached Mach 0.96 is a dive on 5 February, 1952.

The XF-88 went slightly above Mach 1.0 in a dive, and the propeller efficiency at Mach 1.01 was still 78 percent (see https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19930090296.pdf).

This means that probably it's possible to exceed Mach 1.0 in a prop driven aircraft, it's just that no one did that because it made no sense.

And if you don't insist on prop power only, Mach 1.0 at least has been passed with a prop equipped aircraft already.

 

:drinks:

Mike

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Freycinet said:

 

Surely you mean Rubenesque?

I stick by my Botticelli reference, because the P47 is my Venus!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

 

Not possible.  No prop driven aircraft has ever, nor will ever, break the sound barrier, as the flat plate drag of the prop disc cannot be overcome no matter how many BHP you throw at it, nor how many feet up you start your dive at.

 

don't worry, you're talking to an aerospace engineer ;) my comment was meant as a quip

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

I don't think he actually meant the release of the whole module. He means, I believe, the P-47 only. And I'm pretty sure we will see that this year from the looks of it. Hell....maybe even next month! Well...okay...October.

 

Ah, that's probably exactly what he  meant, yes October seems a good guestimate :). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

I stick by my Botticelli reference, because the P47 is my Venus!

 

I have to admit that I have always found the pictures of the Jug on the ground to be unappealing, like a beached whale, but in the air the thing looks powerful while being surprisingly elegant: like a swimming whale.  Junoesque rather than Venus-like.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2018 at 3:43 PM, Finkeren said:

Looks awful...

 

 

 

 

 

...ly nice.

 

Good job on the metal surfaces, it’s really shaping up.

 

That polished aluminium looks great...

I wonder if that's something that can be achieved in a custom skin, or if it's coded / included another way?

I'd love a polished metal Spitfire MkIXe, they had some like that fighting over late war Italy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

 

How...how can you gaze upon the botticellian curves of the P-47 and not feel a stirring in your soul? The P-47 is a fighter as imagined by renaissance painters. Keep your sharp lines and skinny tails. Give me gigantic radials, chunky fuselages and huge proportions or give me death!

 

10 hours ago, Freycinet said:

 

Surely you mean Rubenesque?

 

For my feeling the P-47 has more in common with the voluptious Venus by Rubens than with Boticelli's elegantly curved Venus indeed.

At times the P-47 has similarities with the Venus by Fernando Botero too. :)

http://framingpainting.com/painting/venus_1989-12875.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Uufflakke said:

 

 

For my feeling the P-47 has more in common with the voluptious Venus by Rubens than with Boticelli's elegantly curved Venus indeed.

At times the P-47 has similarities with the Venus by Fernando Botero too. :)

http://framingpainting.com/painting/venus_1989-12875.html

I love how shes rocking a tight 6 pack of abs with all that fluff. Must find the secret.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it’s released by October we’ll probably also see some other content with it too, something from FC or TC maybe even BoBP, but I’m sure it’ll be released later this month since it’s almost done and testing takes about two weeks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, unreasonable said:

 

I have to admit that I have always found the pictures of the Jug on the ground to be unappealing, like a beached whale, but in the air the thing looks powerful while being surprisingly elegant: like a swimming whale.  Junoesque rather than Venus-like.  

 

 

It's absolutely beautiful.

We have a flying example up this way...I'm going to see it fly again in a few weeks. (along with the Mosquito).

It's a different beauty than the Mustang, but it's a looker no doubt. Huge, and mean looking too.

 

I can't wait to get my hands on it in this sim, and the editor.

Thanks for posting this Jason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, =WH=PangolinWranglin said:

image.png.a1d77aeea2309e2584799693045cdb85.png
Just as a reminder to everyone for your safety. 

Thank you, i was just about to light my celebratory cigar in my p-47. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they are going to include some extra-long runways to go with it, because you're going to need them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, =WH=PangolinWranglin said:

image.png.a1d77aeea2309e2584799693045cdb85.png
Just as a reminder to everyone for your safety. 

I can only imagine the spark it might be for 130+ octane avgas. I don't know if it would be brave or stupid to even want to try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No aeroplane should be judged by how it looks on the ground.  Period.

 

tom11w.jpg

 

I took that photo at Thunder over Michigan several years ago.

The Thunderbolt is graceful in flight, and that is how she should be judged.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't wait to use this plane in the interim until my Lightning comes out!   :dance:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 7.GShAP/Silas said:

What was the lightning used for in Europe?

 

The P-38? Long range escort at first. Gradually that job was taken over by the P-51 so the P-38s started being used more for tactical and strike operations which it did fairly well at although the P-38 groups were slowly reduced.

 

Undeniably, the P-38 had a place over Europe, but it was by far the most appreciated and most effective in the Pacific where two engines and its long range were very much in favour right to the end.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A real work horse, that could take a lot of beating and still fly. 

Hope that is modelled as well. 

There was one which came back, and it was literally turned i to a Swiss cheese. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Loke said:

A real work horse, that could take a lot of beating and still fly. 

Hope that is modelled as well. 

There was one which came back, and it was literally turned i to a Swiss cheese. 

 

Literally? Now that should certainly be included in the game. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in time "ZenosWarbirds" uploaded this video to the Tube:

Note the aluminium: Not glossy, yet reflective.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The P-47 looks awesome, looking forward to seeing it complete.:cool:

 

Just a little too shinny for my liking, needs a RAF SEAC colour scheme me thinks to really do her justice.:drinks:

 

 

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

 

Literally? Now that should certainly be included in the game. 

66EC2205-3A09-47F3-A559-DCB58DF7CBC1.jpeg.93063aefb283ec6a90d2a298463e300b.jpeg

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they can capture the incredible startup sound of the big Pratt and Whitney R-2800 radial. Absolutely nothing sounds like that big radial turning over and starting to fire.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope the release of american figheters could increase the sell out of the Sim in US !!

Edited by ITAF_Rani

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, angus26 said:

Literally? Now that should certainly be included in the game. 

Literally. They weren't able to repair the airplane, so the mess hall made a s%#t load of sandwhiches!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ITAF_Rani said:

Hope the release of american figheters could increase the sell out of the Sim in US !!

 

It would be nice to see some populated US servers so my american and aussie friends get better ping, or when I feel like really late night Il-2

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Algy-Lacey said:

 

That polished aluminium looks great...

I wonder if that's something that can be achieved in a custom skin, or if it's coded / included another way?

I'd love a polished metal Spitfire MkIXe, they had some like that fighting over late war Italy.

 

I made this already 

20180701150911_1.jpg.00f01fea576b375aed1124a70b15187a.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't wait to fly this beauty and made some skins :P

 



Talon_ and how did you get this ? tried and gave up, thinking that are linked to a diferent material (more metal/glossy) of the 3D object or something... in the code... (sorry offtopic searched on other forums and no one asked/told that )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as a german-biased-lover person that I am, I never play or be interested on any american/british/allied planes/tanks/whatever.... except for the Jug... The only thing that makes me want to be born in America during WWII, just to fly one.. damn man, she is gorgeus

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

as a german-biased-lover person that I am, I never play or be interested on any american/british/allied planes/tanks/whatever.... except for the Jug... The only thing that makes me want to be born in America during WWII, just to fly one.. damn man, she is gorgeus

 

If you'd been born in America during WWII, you'd have been 15-20 years too late to fly the P-47. Great you're willing to expand your horizens a touch away from your German bias though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rjel said:

 

If you'd been born in America during WWII, you'd have been 15-20 years too late to fly the P-47. Great you're willing to expand your horizens a touch away from your German bias though.

I mean, to be born in a proper time so I am 20-25 by the time WWII is going, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

 

The P-38? Long range escort at first. Gradually that job was taken over by the P-51 so the P-38s started being used more for tactical and strike operations which it did fairly well at although the P-38 groups were slowly reduced.

 

Undeniably, the P-38 had a place over Europe, but it was by far the most appreciated and most effective in the Pacific where two engines and its long range were very much in favour right to the end.

 

There is a nice article here too with more info:

 

http://www.historynet.com/p-38-flunked-europe.htm

 

Most of the long range escort and fighting occurs around 20 to 30 feet (20 thousand was also true during the BoB). Perhaps with VR we should also put people in flight gear and freezers to get more immersion 😁. Not all flight suits or pilots were heated.

 

My late father remembered the tail-forked devils heading out over East Anglia, they certainly left an impression on everyone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheBlackPenguin said:

Most of the long range escort and fighting occurs around 20 to 30 feet (20 thousand was also true during the BoB). Perhaps with VR we should also put people in flight gear and freezers to get more immersion 😁. Not all flight suits or pilots were heated.

I think I heard somewhere a lot of p-38 pilots were very, very cold (atleast colder than other pilots of other aircraft) due to the fact that the plane lacked a hot engine in the fuselage in front of them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...