Sign in to follow this  
MADOV

Douglas Bader's 'Dogsbody' section No. 616 Sqn RAF

As part of my formation flying group I am very keen to have Spitfire Mk Vb skins of the above four-man section that flew from RAF Station Westhampnett in July 1941. We already have an excellent skin for Bader, despite the fact that he flew the Mk Va as he didn't rate the cannon armament, but I am now looking for volunteers amongst the very talented skinning community here to produce Mk Vbs for Alan Smith, Johnnie Johnson and Hugh 'Cocky' Dundas. I am currently researching the appropriate markings for these three and will add details shortly.

Any takers out there?

279216127_Dogsbodysection.png.5b1ab8c9a14b90557e1c880a915c9d6d.png

With credit to Raptorattacker I already have an excellent skin of 'Lord Lloyd I', Bader's personal mount:

Bader-Spit-Va_Bader-Article.jpg.9ee70e2f692f76eaf1fac8804547ddff.jpg

At around this time Johnnie Johnson seems to have flown Mk IIa YQ-N serial no W3457 and these squadron codes date the photo to July 1941 at the earliest. As with Bader's Mk Va the camo pattern would have still been brown and green.

600px-JohnsonSpitfire1941.jpg.4129d969f655ca70cc64190ec542bca3.jpg

After Bader failed to return in August it was necessary to keep morale up and Johnson added the following to his cowling:

Johnnie-BBcSR-spitfire-image.jpg.8aabf6b892d2389945e1da10d2326cd3.jpg

Referring to the book "Bader The Man and His Men", by Michael G Burns. Page 151, refers to Dundas belly landing his Spit Mk IIa (P7828 QJ-A 'Cock of the North') on Monday 8th May 1941. Whilst with No. 616 Sqn I believe he stayed on Mk IIa and was posted in the autumn of that year. P7828 was definitely on the strength of 616 Sqn, as Johnnie Johnson used it also and scored a kill with it.

From another source - 8 May 1941, flying P7827(?) QJ-A ('Cock of the North') Dundas took part in the first trial run of the 'finger four' formation, was badly damaged and belly-landed at RAF Hawkinge. It is possible he was shot down by Mölders.

Edited by SCG_MADOV

13 hours ago, SCG_MADOV said:

Any takers out there?

Give me a shout, I'll help you out! (I'm a poet and I don't know it!). If y'wanna PM me with whatever it is you've got/want then feel free and I'll knock some out for you...

Rap