Sign in to follow this  
=KG76=flyus747

IL2 1946 best mods (hard drive conscious)

I know someone posted earlier about recommended mods and I saw the usual.  

"Go with A" "Go with B" etc...

Can someone breakdown the differences between the mods and hard drive spaces we're talking here? The most common ones I hear are:

1. VP Modpack

2. BAT

3. HSFX

What sets one mod apart from the other?  I know there's lots of content in each, but since I haven't figured out how to use the mission builder, the only way I can measure one mod's content to the other is really just the number of planes available. In addition, which mod is more popular?  In the past, I wanted to download custom missions and the files would always require one mod (i.e. VP modpack) and not the other, severely hindering my ability to play some real cool missions. Also, which patch should I stop at? v4.12.2? or v4.13? 

Do most people usually have 2 or 3 IL2 1946 installed so as to "have" 3 mods?

My laptop is down to like 50 gb and I'd like 1946 to take no more than 15 maybe 20 gigs. Just so I can have room for future videos or anything really.

Playing the game cus IL2 BOX ain't going to the Pacific or adding bombers anytime soon haha

My 4.12.2 BAT installation is something like 60 Gbs...I have the 4.12.2 VP mod on a separate drive, can't remember but much smaller though. A good "light" version for SP campaign (using DCG)...not flying it a lot nowdays with BOX, CLOD, WOFF/UE and ROF installed.

It really depends on what your personal preference is in aircraft and theater of war, besides a set of individual installs I only have BAT and VP mod pack, I did once have HSFX but it seemed fairly limited to me although it did what it said very well.

BAT gives you the option to select four main periods of aviation history,  D.O.F contains the very earliest aircraft so far made for IL-2, from the early Bleriot up to the start of WWI , T.G.A goes for the period between WWI and WWII from civil wars of the Twenties up to the Spanish Civil War,  W.A.W is essentially WWII so has every part of the world covered from the early Blitzkrieg to the final collapse of Japan and everything in between.  J.T.W finishes with all the modern jets, from Korea to modern day desert battles via all the Middle East wars through Vietnam and many Brush fire wars in between.  You can select which module you like and play with aircraft and campaigns specific to the period.

Much of what has been made available by the modding community was added to the already immense amount of content from the on going T.D updates of the IL-2 1946 release, maps, objects, planes, vehicles and all manner of game play options are there, the whole IL-2 world in a series of easy to install downloads that is all compressed in SFS files so takes very little in the way of drive space when you consider what is actually included.

The VP mod pack initially was specific to WWII and Istvan added many unique textures for aircraft, objects and maps.  Many map re-paints are there also, he picked the best material available and was very selective in what was added.

There is also a add on that includes jet aircraft that was made later and is up to the same standard as the first pack.

The IL-2 1946 product is now fairly dated so will not be on a par with the more modern games in some respects, however, it offers the whole world of aviation history for very little outlay financially so will I think hold its own for a long time to come.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Stock game: 6.5 gb

HSFX (no longer supported, oriented to online): 13gb

VP_Modpack: 40gb (without the jet stuff)

BAT: 80gb

I'd go with the VP option, even if you have to install it on a plug-in harddrive/thumbdrive. VP has always been sensitive to being able to run the game on modest hardware. I think you could run it from an external drive without too much trouble. BAT, OTOH, is rather demanding on hardware.

Cloyd

Edited by Cloyd

You can play in 4.13.4 with any period plane using Asura's Dgen 2.0 or you can play 4.13.4 with selected planes in Ypack 1.2.2 (SCW, Korea and Vietnam expansions added). Ypack is as HSFX more oriented to online than offline.

4.13.4 packs:

Dgen 2.0: 37GB

Ypack 1.2.2:  30GB

Try to see if you can hunt down Ultra Pack 2.01. You only need IL-2 patched up to 4.09 to install it. The whole thing after install is 11.6 gigs. I don't know why but I saved it a long time ago and still install it from time to time. Lots of nice North Africa maps

Edited by II./JG27_Rich