meplanes1969

new effects

see what you think,i done with new tanks in mind, open with the jsgme thingy,if not put into data,graphics,textures,then make a folder called particles good luck

new effects.zip

Edited by meplanes1969
new
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 6

the framerates are ok on my lower end machine only nvidia 1050 2gb,only testing no problems as off yet,the only thing which i not like is ship explosions look bit orange colour

Looks good. Being a Volunteer  Firefighter myself, I wish we had AI fire trucks for airfields. Then you could make the different smoke color effects for when " water " gets sprayed on certain types of fires.

3 hours ago, SAS_Bombsaway said:

Looks good. Being a Volunteer  Firefighter myself, I wish we had AI fire trucks for airfields. Then you could make the different smoke color effects for when " water " gets sprayed on certain types of fires.

That would be a cool idea for ambiance.

Looks promising, well done! 

Can the effects be made to last longer?  I find the default ones are pathetic in that respect.

2 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Looks promising, well done! 

Can the effects be made to last longer?  I find the default ones are pathetic in that respect.

Yes they can be.

3 mins of contrails.jpg

Edited by LizLemon
  • Like 4

Just now, LizLemon said:

No they arent. Do you have everything dumped with the gtp extractor?

The effects-settings are stored in *.efx or *.epl files. If you know how to edit or to open these files, then you can change these effects.

Yes for longer lasting effects,I am already taking a FPS hit, anybody want change effects would be great.

some more screenshots,I have changed the fire.dds file

13483CE2-47C8-4EDC-A2F2-2C981AA2BC81.jpeg

5F29FD37-D67B-4C12-8E83-AB8D3CB65AF1.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MechMech_Donald said:

The effects-settings are stored in *.efx or *.epl files. If you know how to edit or to open these files, then you can change these effects.

Not quite. The .epl files will reference a .txt file or two in the same folder that controls the variables for the effects. There are usually two files referenced, for example "n_cnd.txt" and "n_cndtrail.txt" which controls contrails, smoke from planes, ect. In this case the first file controls the effect near the point where it is emitted, and this can be sorta animated in that the size and transparency of puffs will vary. The second controls the trail behind that. Here is an example pic.

1184748020_exampletrail.jpg.dd6e14b20f232f9b994d8ad27e002d7c.jpg

I'm not entirely clear yet on what the possible variables are for each of these two file "types". I need to go through them all and make a list as well as what acceptable value ranges are.

One thing to keep in mind is that often times multiple .epl files will reference the same variable text files. The above example is of contrails which use n_cnd.txt, but this is also used by engine fire, fuel tank fire, ect which means that changing the values of that file to tweak the contrails will also change all those other effects. What you should do is edit the .epl file for contrails to point to a new .txt config file named something like n_ctt.txt and n_ctttrail.txt so you can tweak contrails without mucking up the other effects that use n_cnd.txt

Another useful bit you should look at is in data\LuaScripts\hookargs.txt - this has short descriptions of what all the effects are.

Edited by LizLemon
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, LizLemon said:

Not quite. The .epl files will reference a .txt file or two in the same folder that controls the variables for the effects. There are usually two files referenced, for example "n_cnd.txt" and "n_cndtrail.txt" which controls contrails, smoke from planes, ect. In this case the first file controls the effect near the point where it is emitted, and this can be sorta animated in that the size and transparency of puffs will vary. The second controls the trail behind that. Here is an example pic.

1184748020_exampletrail.jpg.dd6e14b20f232f9b994d8ad27e002d7c.jpg

I'm not entirely clear yet on what the possible variables are for each of these two file "types". I need to go through them all and make a list as well as what acceptable value ranges are.

One thing to keep in mind is that often times multiple .epl files will reference the same variable text files. The above example is of contrails which use n_cnd.txt, but this is also used by engine fire, fuel tank fire, ect which means that changing the values of that file to tweak the contrails will also change all those other effects. What you should do is edit the .epl file for contrails to point to a new .txt config file named something like n_ctt.txt and n_ctttrail.txt so you can tweak contrails without mucking up the other effects that use n_cnd.txt

Another useful bit you should look at is in data\LuaScripts\hookargs.txt - this has short descriptions of what all the effects are.

Thank you for the explanation. I noticed these txt files too. You can just set some general values for some ongoing particle streams, like smoke trails and change their bitmap-file. But you can't adjust important particle settings like wind behavior, initial movement, final movement, rotation, gravity, brightness, color changing, alpha fade in / fade out or additional bitmaps. If we had these values in a txt-file, we could make some effects much, much better.

But you can change a lot of those things.

> initial movement, final movement, rotation

You can't control the movement but you can change the speed, amplitude and variation in alpha that the animation uses, and this seems to be the only variables that really matter.

> brightness

Can be changed by editing the .dds

>color changing

Not sure what you mean, trails changing color based on viewing angle?

> alpha fade in / fade out

TrailLife=zzz,x,y where ZZZ= lifetime X= fade in and y= fade out

19 minutes ago, LizLemon said:

But you can change a lot of those things.

> initial movement, final movement, rotation

You can't control the movement but you can change the speed, amplitude and variation in alpha that the animation uses, and this seems to be the only variables that really matter.

> brightness

Can be changed by editing the .dds

>color changing

Not sure what you mean, trails changing color based on viewing angle?

> alpha fade in / fade out

TrailLife=zzz,x,y where ZZZ= lifetime X= fade in and y= fade out

For trail or smoketrail effects for sure. But for explosions and hit effects it's not enough.

> Movement: For an explosion you need to have a high velocity bitmap in y-direction slowing down over a short period. So you need direction, start speed and end speed - interpolated by time

> Brightness: Its not enough to set the brightness in DDS files, because they are fixed. For a fire effect you need to set the initial brightness at very high, ending to a darker tone over time. This and the color adjustment.

You can achieve this also using several bitmap files, but the first solution is gpu friendly

> Alpha: is okay. i missed this.

You need some more options for decent special effects, like a fixed ammount of used particles and what they should do (how to move or interact)

Edited by MechMech_Donald

here a new fire.dds file just put into particles

fire.zip

6CE3A8E9-351D-4C3A-ACD5-F02EFA1D445F.jpeg

1D8DB23A-8DCF-4CDE-BD9A-A18E3333E343.jpeg

The top one is new one the lower one the original,

i have enjoyed putting these effects textures together,quite a few hours checking and playing different scenarios to see if ok, proberly not perfect but just a bit of fun.

if you want too see large explosion, go to jade monkey mission pack,il-16 data mission where you start on the runway,look right you will see a building,soon you will see some bombs dropping,wait few seconds for bomb delay then wham bam thankyou mam explosion

The top one is new one the lower one the original,

i have enjoyed putting these effects textures together,quite a few hours checking and playing different scenarios to see if ok, proberly not perfect but just a bit of fun.

if you want too see large explosion, go to jade monkey mission pack,il-16 data mission where you start on the runway,look right you will see a building,soon you will see some bombs dropping,wait few seconds for bomb delay then wham bam thankyou mam explosion

sorry name off mission il-16 survive the raid!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you go to YouTube videos and search for tony Robinson blitz street,you will see the awesome camera footage of real ww2 bombs done in a controlled environment.

from the 50 pound bond right to the v1 and v2, a great watch too anyone  that’s never seen it

anything odd let me know,have not done extensive testing on these,only for more powerful PCs , you will take a FPS hit with these, so if you just want some easy action then you can.

let me know how they work on middle of the road pcs

Looks pretty cool! I have only i-5 7400+16 gig+nvidia gtx- 1060 6 gig and i'm ok with quite high settings

Yes you have a better pc than me ( saving for an upgrade maybe next year sometime )

these work ok for me I turn AA down to 2 am ok

does anyone know do effects use GPU or CPU.

i have 11 per cent bottleneck,have a weaker CPU, so hoping they take GPU load

The effects look good but I think the changes might have impacted smoke trails from aircraft rounds being fired as well. I did a test quick mission in a Tempest and in the outside view on firing the smoke trails from the individual rounds seem to be lasting way too long. I'll try to give it another go later on vanilla v's this mod and check to be sure.

I will look at this when I get in from work today.

many off the smoke effects have a dual role, eg nwhitesmoke8su, which both messed up ground bullet spikes ( when changed made white puffs which looked weird,and when changed again made like weird black square explosion effects )

I did change that effect in the end but took me about 3 hours for the culprit off this.

the name off the effects do not always do what they say on the tin so too speak!!

On 10/25/2019 at 11:37 PM, No457_Stonehouse said:

The effects look good but I think the changes might have impacted smoke trails from aircraft rounds being fired as well. I did a test quick mission in a Tempest and in the outside view on firing the smoke trails from the individual rounds seem to be lasting way too long. I'll try to give it another go later on vanilla v's this mod and check to be sure.

The smoke trails are fine,I have tested in mods off and mods on,and they look the same to me.

Sorry I see the same thing. I finally got a spare 10 mins this evening to double check and it's the same in vanilla and effects mod on and obviously I haven't noticed how long the trails from the rounds continue on for. Maybe something for you to tweak? Anyway thanks for the new effects, very nice