ME-BFMasserME262

Frustrated as hell with this game

One of the reasons why i like this community at the right times.
Guy asks for a little advice and gets 2 pages of helpful replies (even from some online Aces)
Great stuff guys!

• Upvote 3

[edited]

Since joining here ive had nothing but brilliant advice regarding ANY question ive asked.. Ive been gifted items,ive also gifted back i can honestly say this forum has been a refreshing change from most (especially Steam). Anyway sorry again.

OP has Thad above as mentioned the T16000m Joystick for the money is a really good stick,also if your keen set on sims then TrackIR IMO is essential..i could,nt fly without it.

Its a bit expensive though i do believe ther,es some good cheaper alternatives out there.

I was given the advice to learn 1 plane at a time and..really learn it,then move on to others for me Requiems vids are an absolute must heres the G2 one

Enjoy the sim pal and i hope you proceed and succeed to become the pilot you wanna become.

Best of luck 

ME-BFMasserME262  :salute:

Edited by Adger
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Adger said:

[edited]

Since joining here ive had nothing but brilliant advice regarding ANY question ive asked..I certainly have,nt seen " the usual toxicness thrown at the rookies." (Geronimo553) anywhere??  Ive been gifted items,ive also gifted back i can honestly say this forum has been a refreshing change from most (especially Steam). Anyway sorry again.

OP has Thad above as mentioned the T16000m Joystick for the money is a really good stick,also if your keen set on sims then TrackIR IMO is essential..i could,nt fly without it.

Its a bit expensive though i do believe ther,es some good cheaper alternatives out there.

I was given the advice to learn 1 plane at a time and..really learn it,then move on to others for me Requiems vids are an absolute must heres the G2 one

Enjoy the sim pal and i hope you proceed and succeed to become the pilot you wanna become.

Best of luck 

ME-BFMasserME262  :salute:

Agreed on the learning one plane part. It makes it so much easier when you know exactly how to control your plane. Once you know one plane really well, you can transition to others much easier.

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Adger said:

[edited]

I certainly have,nt seen " the usual toxicness thrown at the rookies." (Geronimo553) anywhere??  Ive been gifted items,ive also gifted back i can honestly say this forum has been a refreshing change from most (especially Steam). Anyway sorry again.

[edited]

2. This forum is provided by 1C-777 Ltd. as a courtesy and its usage is a privilege and 1C-777 Ltd. reserves the right to ban any member temporarily or permanently for any reason at any time. Any penalties listed below for violations of the rules are guidelines only and forum administration may take additional action if they feel it is warranted. Use of the forum is not connected to usage of the game and access to this forum is not guaranteed to users as a consequence of purchasing the game.

4. The forum is not pre-moderated and objectionable material may occur without our knowledge; messages posted on the forum have not previously been viewed and have not been edited by forum administration. However, forum administration and moderators reserve the right to edit messages after being posted.

23. The forum rules embody the will of 1C-777 Ltd., but may be enforced at the discretion of the moderators or other forum administrators and punishment may be softer or more serious than listed in the forum rules.

You are NOT calling this community toxic. Do not bring your problems on Steam forums to this one (We have nothing to do with that forum). Rules here are to be followed, if you or any other member cant/dont want to follow them, I will apply them.

Haash

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
  • Confused 4
  • Upvote 1

If you are not here to provide help to the OP, please do refrain from posting. Make another thread for whatever it is that you wish to say.

Someone mentioned this before, but just start a plane in quick mission without any enemy AC or ground targets and just fly it around. Navigate from airfield to another, do touch and gos, throw the plane around in clean and unclean maneuvers, see how it behaves to violent maneuvering at different speeds, practice turning and other moves while not looking ahead. Climb high and do maneuvers there, do a long dive, fly beneath a bridge, land without flaps, take off without tail wheel lock and so forth.

All that will help you learn the plane and how it behaves in different situations which will in turn improve your flying as you will be able to better estimate your orientation and position in three dimensions, as well as how it'll behave should you start maneuvering, all that even when not looking at the gauges. That in turn will free time to actually look out of the cockpit to search for and keeping track of other aircraft, landscape,  ground targets etc. And that is a very if not most important part of what is called situational awareness. A relatively mediocre pilot(in physically flying his aircraft) and a shooter can be a great ace if hes good at being aware of his surrondings and decision making.

• Upvote 1

when you set up some quick missions, try flight vs flight. You can have 2 flights of four for each side. I usually go for vet difficulty. Ace can be fairly accurate at long range, and I find it hard to keep track of who is who at range in the oculus rift.

Also I recommend giving the career mode a try. I find it really immersive on expert settings with the tech chat and hud instruments off. It will help you with your situational awareness, and spotting enemies.

for MP, the berloga server has taught me so much about defensive flying. This server has airstarts that drop you pretty much right in the furball. You will get shot down lots no matter which side you play, but you will learn in quick time, just how far you can push your plane in maneuvres and find out what works for you when trying to shake a tail.

Best tip for MP though is never fly alone. Your chances for survival increase substantially If you have a wingman to watch your six.

I totally understand why some people are defending the sim on this thread. And although I completely understand what the OP is going through his so called  "lack of good English" is not an excuse for her childish tone. 

• Confused 1

When I read the opening post, I read a request for advice and help. When I read (most) answers, I see advice and help. It's amazing what other people can read into the same text. 😲

Communications are clearly a science.

• Upvote 1

youre pulling the stick too much so you turn less

try keeping eye on your foe and pull less the stick when turning

• Upvote 1

@ME-BFMasserME262 Which online servers do you fly on? I Suppose you were flying on wings and got smashed. I think this happens to everyone when they start playing. A good piece of advice I would give is to start flying on berloga or even the 1C official Server with icons. On these servers you can train gunnery and basic combat maneuvers, at a much greater rate than on mission based servers. You get 20 times the experience out of a 30 min sortie on these servers compared to flying on WoL or the likes.

If you do quick missions set them up so that you have the energy advantage. You will save time and it’s less frustrating. Practice gunnery and especially deflection shooting. When you fly German, deflection shooting is a key skill, since you won’t be able to maneuver on the enemies six as well as the Russians do.

Apart from that just keep practicing. I think most people were at the point where they thought that this game was impossible. Like most things, it’s not magic but just practice... and everything that Tripwire said 😄

S!

Also I think DerSheriff has some very well done tutorial videos. I think the older ones are still done on WT, but they are relevant all the same,

sonce he explains basic concepts very well. He also has some newer ones on Il2

Edited by =EXPEND=SchwarzeDreizehn
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Go to some Counter Strike server if you didn't play before. You gonna die. Die a lot. Killing nobody in the process. Frustrated. Maybe exept killing yourself with hand granade which returned to you somehow. It will be like that for weeks. Than you will start to improve. 

It's true for every more complicated game. Even for chess.

After few weeks/months of training you will easily kill Ace AI Yak-1b's, even 1 against 3.

The best solution is to join some squad, you will learn everything in nice company.

BTW. MP air combat is VERY different then the duel vs AI. To the point soloing 3-4 AI fighters will not make you good in MP. Only flying in MP will make you good in MP. Fighting AI can learn you basic manuvers and controlling the plane.:fly:

• Upvote 2

It just takes time and experience...I had over 25 hours of multiplayer before I got a legitimate "player vs player" kill. 

Keep in mind it's not like it is in the movies...if you start defensive..you normally stay defensive..and you die defensive. 

I have flown simulators over 20 years, and never learned to dogfight. Thats why I don’t do combat. I just fly around and enjoy the view. :)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JohanLoton said:

It just takes time and experience...I had over 25 hours of multiplayer before I got a legitimate "player vs player" kill. 

Keep in mind it's not like it is in the movies...if you start defensive..you normally stay defensive..and you die defensive. 

Ohh but when you get that first online kill your heartbeat goes up a little and from there on you are addicted :lol:.

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, Psyrion said:

Ohh but when you get that first online kill your heartbeat goes up a little and from there on you are addicted :lol:.

Oh hell yeah it does! 

Another thrill moment is when you form up with another few players, strike a target deep behind lines and make a clean getaway, fast, on the deck and all recover.

It makes the dozens of failed attempts worth it..and yeah..you're hooked. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 6:20 PM, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

So, can anyone link me a video with a G2 fightint some Yak1, ace difficulty, full realism mode? I cant even believe someone is able to do that... he must be a god.

I was playing with icons, because the point was not spatial awareness but manoeuvres. AI had highest level. Not an instruction video, I'm sure I did a number of bad decisions that would have gotten me shot down against a human player. It was easy because the AI does not fly a very desperate kind of defence, it feels like it's a bit weak in the arms and isn't pulling as hard as it could.

• Like 5

[edited]

Rule 6. Again...

Edited by SYN_Haashashin

moving on and back on topic, I've found a way forward, for me, was to choose the p40  and stick with it as it has quite complex engine management and an occasionally tricky FM.

This means that transferring to other fighters is often far easier now that I'm used to a plane with so much to handle.

This isn't a route id choose for everyone and it's not a perfect way to do things but it suited me.

bear in mind that most aircraft have their own quirks to master regardless.

LoK

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, OrLoK said:

I've found a way forward, for me, was to choose the p40  

I have been scared of the p40 for ages. Should probably give it a proper go. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Diggun said:

I have been scared of the p40 for ages. Should probably give it a proper go. 

I found her tough to start with Diggun but with a bit of help watching Requims vids I'm getting better and better with her.

Shes truly a beast and those 6 .50 cal guns...wow

• Like 1

Way to go!

She's a beauty, but requires a thoughtful pilot.

• Like 1

I remember when I started playing IL-2, and I actually got a PPL.

Man that was hard, those tail steered planes was really giving me a hard time, I spend a lot of time just taxing around LOL.

Now after a lot of hours, it's becoming less of a struggle, but still the BF109 gives me wet hands during take-off and landings.

So keep trying, you will get there, and when you do, it's just soooo sweet, like when you.....oh never mind :p

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slater said:

I remember when I started playing IL-2, and I actually got a PPL.

Man that was hard, those tail steered planes was really giving me a hard time, I spend a lot of time just taxing around LOL.

Now after a lot of hours, it's becoming less of a struggle, but still the BF109 gives me wet hands during take-off and landings.

So keep trying, you will get there, and when you do, it's just soooo sweet, like when you.....oh never mind :p

Have you flown Tail Draggers in the real world slater ?

Also you can "exploit" the AI very easily - make a head-on attack and make sure you will be the first who fires (like on 700m), you don't have to hit at all, just fire in the general direction. Now the enemy will always try to avoid your shots and does't fire back. Use your mg on long range and when he's near enough use your cannon and that's all she wrote. Works every time ;)

Had astronomical kill rates in career mode with this "tactic".

On 7/30/2018 at 12:10 AM, Finkeren said:

Flying against a predictable AI frees up your mind to focus more on actually piloting your aircraft. It’s not a bad training ground, when first getting into the sim.

This is a good point I think.

You may also try to avoid 1v1 quick missions as the AI will only have you to focus on, so making it more difficult to get a shot in. I'd suggest starting off slowly with 16v16 quick missions, where you are more likely to get a chance to jump on an opponents tail and get some gunnery practice, eventually some kills and the positive feeling that goes with it.

Try to make things easy at first by putting your group above & behind the enemy group...no point in making things difficult when you are just starting out as this just leads to frustration.

Oh, almost forgot, set the AI on random, all of them :) 

Edited by Pict

P40, isn't that a case of setting your rpm at a certain throttle setting and then adding more throttle as you go higher to maintain manifold pressure?

Been a while since I last flew it but once you understand the way the engine works, it is pretty straight forward to fly.  The flight notes cover it well.  Then there are those 6 x .50 Cals - Nice.

1 hour ago, =FEW=Herne said:

Have you flown Tail Draggers in the real world slater ?

Nope, and that is probably why I had problems.

Edited by Slater

I will give here my personal opinion and experience, I hope anyone can take something from this. Prepare for big wall of text.

Let me start with words of encouragement for our fellow newcomer. Welcome and prepare for getting your ass handed to you on a silver plate, as we all did by the aces. The learning curve is steep and we went through it. But the outcome, the sensation of shooting down an enemy, the feeling of great fight against skilled opponent is priceless and worth the struggle. By the way you will learn a lot of information about history and planes. I think it is worthy.

Please note, that I consider myself below average pilot, there are many better. You can verify my statement on WoL status page.

I have 172 downed aircraft.

I was downed 197 times, from this 72 times killed and 49 times captured.

All this in 105 hours of flight time.

I would not last much in real combat.

Learn how to be energy efficient. No sudden movements, be fluent, precise and predict enemy movements. Do not turn with them and utilise your E retention. Speed is life, altitude is life insurance. With time, you will come on top and hand their asses to them. About various tactics in various 109s against reds I will link this post:

Edited by CSAF-D3adCZE

You're just not used to the game. Even the ace AI is very simple and does nothing but turn and bleed energy. Took me about 5 quick missions to figure out the AI pattern, so just keep flying.

If you fail at something, keep practicing. Practice, practice, practice!
In time, you will see the incompetence of the AI compared to an online Ace.

On 7/31/2018 at 10:45 AM, blitze said:

P40, isn't that a case of setting your rpm at a certain throttle setting and then adding more throttle as you go higher to maintain manifold pressure?

Been a while since I last flew it but once you understand the way the engine works, it is pretty straight forward to fly.  The flight notes cover it well.  Then there are those 6 x .50 Cals - Nice.

Yeah, the P-40 is pretty simple. Just keep the throttle in the green zone (there are two marks on the manifold pressure gauge) and the RPMs in check. There are cowl flaps too, but no big deal. Main problem is that the aircraft is underpowered so no fast climbs or fast anything really, except diving! Bonus is the 6x 0.50 cal MGs and loads of ammo. 

On 7/29/2018 at 6:28 PM, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

Oh.. about trackers and equipment... well.. I must admit Im kinda lacking of everything lol.

I dont have a stick, I use the Saitek's yoke (lol), use left/right mouse buttons as rudders, and mouse movement for head movement. I want to get some new equipment but well... echonomy doesnt allow me to do so yet.

How do I find you in steam? Thanks for your help 

I use a Thrustmaster HOTAS X, which cost around £40 and works fine. The throttle is not as precise as I would like, but it will do for now. 

For tracking I use a Delanclip (£20 https://delanengineering.com), PS3 Eye camera (<£5 on eBay or buy as a package with the clip) and OpenTrack (free) and it works great. You need to spend a bit of time tweaking your settings so your in-game head moves as you like, but once that's done it makes a world of difference. Instead of the Delanclip, you could make your own IR LED headset so basically just the cost of materials, assuming you are reasonably confident with a soldering iron and electrical schematics. The PS3 Eye camera is recommended because it has a particularly high framerate compared to regular webcams. 

Aircraft-wise, I started on the Yak-1 and got shot down a lot. Recently I've been flying some of the early 109 variants and they're much easier in terms of being able to concentrate on the flying, not managing engine. Really gives you a sense of what pilots had to deal with on both sides. 

Shoot me a PM if you need any help.

Guest deleted@30725

Remember when I could not takeoff, remember when landings gave me sweaty hands because I had no idea what to do and knew I was going to screw it up. The only result was how badly. Shooting hundreds of rounds at a bomber and it STILL won't go down because most rounds missing. Turning off the game, swearing never to play again.

To going online, meeting people at my rubbish level and having fun, slowly getting better. Landings to be more successful than not. Rounds connect with planes, bombs start to hit targets. Playing with the weather for difference. Shot down, try again, show down, learn the enemy tactics.

Starting to feel each plane and get 'the feeling' even for new planes. Suddenly the he-111 that I could never land goes down perfect and I remember that it WAS impossible. An outing in the spitfire takes me to try and land in weird places. Beach landings are easy. Did they change the game, did the game become easier. No, not really. I became better and more in tune with how a plane handles. Flat spins, over speeds in dives. Short, landings. Landing on the grass, landing on the frozen lakes. Looking behind and getting used to the 'four dimensions' and various directions your plane ends up and getting used to re-orientating quicker. Learning the planes, learning the enemy tactics. Using their tactics against them.

Expert settings and turning off the UI. Me, the plane and another pilot. I wasn't good overnight, I'm still not good now.

Learning to navigate without the ui. Takeoff, find the target and destroy it while still finding the way home without any in-game markers. Snow, rain, dark, win and sun. There is a challenge and always a way to make it fun.

This game is like anything. There was a time when you did not know how to talk, read or write. You did these things over and over till you were able to do them. But these tasks still have to be practiced to stay good at them and it's true for anything. You will retain a certain skill level in something even if you stop doing it for a while, but the finer points where the really good people find the perfection takes a lot of time and patience.

Finding a way to keep the game fun even when you're failing at it can be tough and it's not a job. You don't have to keep doing it. The game will still be here. So take your time. Don't be in a hurry to be the best. The game is hard and everything is easy when you know how. Everyone who is good at the game, makes it look easy either because they have previous flight sim experience or they have a number of hours or years logged in the game and no one who is good will boast that they are good at the game because there is always someone better.

Be proud of small achievements and set yourself goals to work towards. Play other games in-between and do other things. Keep it entertaining. Keep it fun and everyone was a noob at some point so who cares if some people laugh. Just keep trying, keep having fun and take pointers, use other players experience.

Life is too short not to have fun.

Edited by deleted@30725

On 7/29/2018 at 8:14 PM, Thad said:

Or a Thrustmaster T16000m Joystick. For the price a very good joystick. :salute:

Yes, after some "research" about joysticks, I decided that could be the best option for me. Sadly, cnat afford it yet.

Thanks to everyone, I could even take a bit of each of your comments and make a book myself for my learning. 

If someday I shot down a fighter in MP, I owe you all a beer, lol.

F.

• Upvote 1

On 7/29/2018 at 5:20 PM, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

So I said to myself: "Ok, lets practice against AI. The day you can fight against AI, full realism mode one, no markers on map, etc etc, and you beat them, then you are ready for MP".

Well this is sort of true. You`ll still get your butt handed to you since Humans are far superior to AI and will squeeze every advantage out that they can.

The good news is you won`t infuriate anyone by saying, "How do I start the engine?"

Just have fun.  Enjoy the simulation, and don't count Kill/Death ratios.  I've been playing these games since CFS and still consider it to be a great night if I manage to land at a runway a couple of times.

I know you've pretty much got every advice known to man, to make things simple and short - A real simple easy tool you can use is Tacview for IL2.
You can review your practice matches with the AI to see if your over shooting or undershooting or think of new tactics to use against the AI. 
-I usually start against 3 Vet AI with a 500M advantage at around 2500M with me at their Aft position.

It's great target practice, first work on honing in those guns and getting a feel for their trajectories.  

http://www.tacview.net/documentation/il2/en/

Change this file to .acmi if you'd like to watch one of my tracks. 

It's a funny one where I ran out of ammo and had to clip my last kill.

record.2018-08-07_20-30-42_00.jpg

Edited by TexasWarbird
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 12:20 PM, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

Hello eveyone,

This is my first post on the forums so sorry for any mistakes made. Also my english is not perfect so sorry for that too.

Well the point is, Im a noob as a fighter. Cant join multiplayer, because my enemy ripp me off before I could even spot them.

So multiplayer is no way an option for me.

So I said to myself: "Ok, lets practice against AI. The day you can fight against AI, full realism mode one, no markers on map, etc etc, and you beat them, then you are ready for MP".

Good. So I set a quick mission, on a 109G2, against a Yak-1 on ace pilot difficulty. Start the mission from the ground (as in MP server I tried to play), against an already airborn plane (2000 M alttitude).

I dont have any trouble in take-off, landing, etc. But finally when I encounter my enemy, then the nightmare and the reason of my rage-post starts: THE AI IS IMPOSSIBLE TO BEAT (for me).

No matter what I do, no matter what I try, the goddamned AI plane gonna always, ALWAYS keep my 6. I read on some forums that I should climb while turning, thats a good tactic against AI. Bull****. I can climb up to 8K altitude, but the damned plane just will never stall, never damage its engine, never nothing. Just pure perfect uber capabilities and ability of the pilot in flying.

When, IDK how in the earth, I can manage to reach my enemy AI's 6, then when Im about to shot, he just breaks incredibly well, knowing perfectly when Im about to shot. I dont follow him in the dive, since my bad-ugly-G2 cant do anything better than the Uber Almigthy Yak-1 (which engine never ever overheats). Instead, I maintain altitude and energy, and try top repeat the process (reach his 6).

Well, idk what to do and I dont even know how to ask for help properly due my bad english skills, just raging in the forums.

So, can anyone link me a video with a G2 fightint some Yak1, ace difficulty, full realism mode? I cant even believe someone is able to do that... he must be a god.

PS: I can beat my enemies in easy difficulty, but average or higher pilot difficulty, I cant anymore.

PS2: Maybe I just leave fighters forever and just fly the Hs129. But I dont know, dont want to give up -yet-.

Thanks and sorry for the wall-text.

haha. been there. the year was 2006. Taking off in the Il2 1946:  "WHY THE F DOES THE PLANE VEER TO THE RIGHT SO HARD...THIS SIM SUCKS!"  There is NOW WAY anyone can get this thing to take off..

Remember these days as you will look back and laugh..

by the way..needs to be updated to "The day you officially log 500 hours in the air, full realism mode, no markers on map, etc etc, and successfully land back at base 200+ times, THEN you are ready to have your ass handed to you on MP

hahaaha

• Like 1

I went about things slightly different when I started, which even though I am a founder, I never seriously started playing until post VR patch.

I decided that If I tried to learn how to do things on expert servers, then I only needed to learn how to do everything once, so I may have been a bit of nuisance for my own team by clogging up the taxi path, while learning how to taxi to the runway without losing control. At first I didn't know things like press "I" for icons, that would show you your position on the map. I must have turned it off accidentally so was also forced to practice real navigation and map reading.

After a lot of hours, when i was already comfortable with most of the AC in game I discovered you can adjust the UI to get rid of things like the tech chat, and hud instruments, while still keeping the chat window.

In those early days I was taken out far more often than I was able to get kills, but for me just flying and navigating was most of the fun. When you get a kill though it is exhilarating, and the beauty of this game is, the more stick time you get, the more you will be aware of just how much you are improving in all aspects of the game. You'll still make bad decisions, at least I still do, but I still get a thrill every time I take one of these warbirds up in VR.

One of the best tips I can give you though, and I didn't notice this until I had about 60 hours of MP time behind me is that the tracer colour is different between LW and VVS, making it much easier to identify friend from foe when you spot a furball. LW have yellow tracer, and VVS have Red or at least redder, if that is even a word, tracer. That was a huge help to me to make a decision if I should join the Frey or not. 

• Like 1

I got my first multiplayer kill on my first day, when an I-16 fell to my Stuka tail gunner. Unfortunately, the flaming Soviet then Taraned my tail and my plane fell 100 feet into the ground in flames. 

I advise you to play the career quite a bit until you get the hang of it. Try to finish a career as a 109 pilot from the start of the campaign to the end, without dying. If you die, start again. Don't take stupid risks. Plenty of Il-2s and I-16s to bag. Also, try flying the He 111 and Ju 87, don't just fly the 109, you can study the ways the AI Yaks attack from the rear gunner position on a Heinkel.

Edited by hames123