The-Doctor

dedicated server hosting providers

I've rented a dedicated server through a company called VILAYER , it was very very very bad , they didn't care enough to activate my account and their support didn't respond since 4 days 

it was very bad experience , and they didn't even read my support tickets . so be aware guys .

long story short

any advice regarding dedicated server hosting with a good ping in Europe and middle east ? 

Edited by [9thSS]BlackRaven

I'm running with OVH. It's been smooth so far. They have servers around the globe.

https://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers/game/

Note that you ave to add the cost of VAT (depending of where you live) and Windows server license (about EUR 20 per month). Not cheap if you it's just for you and your friends.

1 minute ago, coconut said:

I'm running with OVH. It's been smooth so far. They have servers around the globe.

https://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers/game/

Note that you ave to add the cost of VAT (depending of where you live) and Windows server license (about EUR 20 per month). Not cheap if you it's just for you and your friends.

I already made an account but I'm completely lost :( 

I'm not coconut, nevertheless for reference:

The Server we're using for The Flying Ass Clowns has been rented at Hetzner (https://www.hetzner.com), it's an i7-4770 with 32GB RAM, 2x2TB Enterprise HDD in RAID 1, with 1GB/s connection clocked at 20TB/month transfer volume.

As mentioned by coconut, most hosting providers don't include the Windows Server License per default (they do for virtual systems, but not for dedicated ones), so that comes on top of it.

:drinks:

Mike

On 8/5/2018 at 4:17 PM, 56RAF_phoenix56 said:

Coconut - I'd be interested to hear what configuration you're using from ovh? Particularly network traffic and CPU power.

CPU: i7-7700K overclocked to 4.5GHz, network traffic is 1Gb/s down, 250Mb/s up.

Network bandwidth is probably way above what's needed. You can manage with lower CPU if you run normal hand-made missions. My auto-generated missions are typically heavy.

On the other hand, a 7700K has 2583 single thread passmark points @4.2 GHz, overclocking to 4.5 GHz is a 7% gain in clock rate, which even under perfect circumstances gives you no more than 3.5% speed increase, which would mean 2675 passmark points.

Compared to our "dry stock" 4770 with 2253 passmark points that's 19% speed gain.

I would tend to say that if one of both CPUs gets exhausted, the other is likely to do so, too. It'd be quite hard to match that margin.

For instance, if our CPU would be beefed at a Tick Delay of 20ms, yours would show 17. That'd be too much for reliably hosting the mission either case.

Mike

Right, but the non-overclocked was at the same price :) (seriously). The little gain might help bring it from dangerous-ish 15ms tick delay to slightly less dangerous. With the amount of vehicles and AA I have, I need all I can get.

Alright in that case, if you get more for the same price, why not?

And I agree that the more AI you have, the more you wish your CPU was an i7-8086K ;)

I thought of a price difference rather in the 50-70% range, which would not justify a 19% speed gain but 0% definitely does :good:

Mike

el bumparino. I'm totally new to this. Coconuts link scared me, the prices I mean. Storebror's gave me hope, sort of. But one thing is puzzling me... location. I live on the west coast US. Most players go to the populated server, we all know that one, in Russia... Personally I get around a 200ping on it because I am on west coast USA (it is playable though). I know a lot of people in Europe and Russia play the game... so would a logical solution to this be to have a server based in say Germany or the UK to "center" the server location inbetween the overall player base?  I'm interesting in other providers that people use. I rather go on IL-2 users experience rather than google searching for dedicated servers so any feedback is appreciated. 9th SS what did you end up doing?

I plan on setting up my own server once Bodenplatte fully releases but I've got a few questions.

1. Is it worth renting a server or building my own?

2. If I build my own, what are some good tutorials on how to do it?

I've never ran my own server before so I want to learn as much as possible before getting started, any help will be greatly appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

I plan on setting up my own server once Bodenplatte fully releases but I've got a few questions.

1. Is it worth renting a server or building my own?

2. If I build my own, what are some good tutorials on how to do it?

I've never ran my own server before so I want to learn as much as possible before getting started, any help will be greatly appreciated.

As far as I understand it a simple high end computer dedicated to hosting this game is enough, obviously with high speed connection. But that's all the computer is doing - you can't function as the server and play at the same time obviously.

I actually just built my dad a pretty nice computer for a retirement gift. He is barely using it. I was thinking about commandeering it for hosting IL-2 but I can't handle having a space-heater in my house 24/7... so I'll probably rent a server. And by renting a server I can geographically choose where I want it...centrally located between the most players (central Europe maybe? to get ok pings for both USA and Russia perhaps?)

Anyways, I have like a million questions about this whole process. A front to back guide would be nice. I have next to no server/networking experience. I have built computers and worked with high-learning curve software before though. 

Time to make a list...

2 minutes ago, NETSCAPE said:

As far as I understand it a simple high end computer dedicated to hosting this game is enough, obviously with high speed connection. But that's all the computer is doing - you can't function as the server and play at the same time obviously.

I actually just built my dad a pretty nice computer for a retirement gift. He is barely using it. I was thinking about commandeering it for hosting IL-2 but I can't handle having a space-heater in my house 24/7... so I'll probably rent a server. And by renting a server I can geographically choose where I want it...centrally located between the most players (central Europe maybe? to get ok pings for both USA and Russia perhaps?)

Anyways, I have like a million questions about this whole process. A front to back guide would be nice. I have next to no server/networking experience. I have built computers and worked with high-learning curve software before though. 

Time to make a list...

Yep, a guide or how-to list would be nice.