Sign in to follow this  
SmokinHole

Oculus Rift and a Non-Clickable 3D Environment

I am curious how current OR testers have managed with the inability to see the keyboard.  Sorry for the short post but I know so little about OR that I don't think I have much to discuss other than my own curiosity.  If it works as well as I people claim it does, I can easily see myself dumping any game or sim that isn't compatible, much like I did with TrackIR years ago.

The best way to a clickable solution would be to have a mouse that is ever aware of your head position so as it doesn't move away from the control when your head is moving.

Imagine it simulating your hand being sorest from your line of sight. Menus that ate fixed in space are also a great solution that many or based games are utilyising to great effect.

The best way to a clickable solution would be to have a mouse that is ever aware of your head position so as it doesn't move away from the control when your head is moving.

Imagine it simulating your hand being sorest from your line of sight. Menus that ate fixed in space are also a great solution that many or based games are utilyising to great effect.

Well, that is exactly how Oculus Rift works. When you turn your head the mouse cursor doesn't move. It only moves when you move the ... mouse.

Well, that is exactly how Oculus Rift works. When you turn your head the mouse cursor doesn't move. It only moves when you move the ... mouse.

That's not true for many games that are trying to backwards compatible to the OR. Many games where are you turn your head the mouse comes right along with u. The UI is by far going to prove the most difficult for not only 1CGS. But for any dev looking to create a new product revolving around the rift.

IMO the OR is another very good reason for a clickable Cockpit.

While a fighterpilot might be satisfied with the possibilities of a good HOTAS, a bomber / multiengine pilot just isn't able to map all necessary controls to such a limited device.

Even with multiple switchable levels, without feedback on the screen it will be a pita.

Edited by robtek

actually I have a G940 and a nice profile using 3 modes and the "shift" key and I am able to fully control any plane in CloD, including bomber. I even have unused key and as far as I know BoS will use less different input.

So talking about WWII sims, we might be good. When it comes to modern fighter, I can see it will be harder to fit every command on the hotas, but I don't fly any of these so  can't relate.

but I am sure it is just a matter of time. Of course it will be easier for FPS player to use a keyboard, as there is no need of anything else; but at the end we will learn to use a keyboard without a look. We are into flightsims because it requires to learn from it. So this is just a matter of practice. 

BTW an intersting suggestion popped up on the forum : why not putting a tiny webcam on the front of the OR? it could resolve the whole question of how to see "through" the goggles

actually I have a G940 and a nice profile using 3 modes and the "shift" key and I am able to fully control any plane in CloD, including bomber. I even have unused key and as far as I know BoS will use less different input.

So talking about WWII sims, we might be good. When it comes to modern fighter, I can see it will be harder to fit every command on the hotas, but I don't fly any of these so  can't relate.

but I am sure it is just a matter of time. Of course it will be easier for FPS player to use a keyboard, as there is no need of anything else; but at the end we will learn to use a keyboard without a look. We are into flightsims because it requires to learn from it. So this is just a matter of practice. 

BTW an intersting suggestion popped up on the forum : why not putting a tiny webcam on the front of the OR? it could resolve the whole question of how to see "through" the goggles

how many players own hotas u think. most begginers will use cheapest joysticks. so there gotta be clickable cockpits sooner or later. it is inevitable for OR.

Shift keys and a button abundant HOTAS like the Warthog keep you from having to use the keyboard at all when using the OR. I don't even use the keyboard (or even look at it) when not using the Rift anyway.

It's very possible, and not seeing your controls is not a problem if you make a conscious effort to practice muscle memory... And that's what the little bumps on the home row are for.

Shift keys and a button abundant HOTAS like the Warthog keep you from having to use the keyboard at all when using the OR. I don't even use the keyboard (or even look at it) when not using the Rift anyway.

It's very possible, and not seeing your controls is not a problem if you make a conscious effort to practice muscle memory... And that's what the little bumps on the home row are for.

What if I play in nomex flying gloves? :D

(Not that I have the funds to buy an OR anytime soon...)

• Upvote 1

g600-1-620x.jpg

One of these will do the trick. Adding your buttons on the stick and dedicating a key to shift, control or alt will double or triple the number of commands you can have without having to look.

Actually, using "shift", "control" and "alt" will bring your total of buttons up to seven times the original out-of-box amount...and that's not even accounting for software based "shift" cycle functions that most controllers have.

Get dexterous.

Edited by AbortedMan

Actually, using "shift", "control" and "alt" will bring your total of buttons up to seven times the original out-of-box amount...and that's not even accounting for software based "shift" cycle functions that most controllers have.

Get dexterous.

shift, ctrl and alt are useless if you blindly have to search for them.

Even with special mouse or extra keyboard with buttons recognizeable by feeling it is a huge task to memorize all command/button combinations for some seldom used but still important functions.

Especially when someone is already looking at perfectly visible, distinctable and recognizeable buttons, switches and levers all the time.

It's not too hard in practice. I find I can remember all the keys for CEM in Clod for example using the above setup. BoS is fairly light on key commands, so I'd expect that would be even easier. The most useful thing is assigning ctrl, alt, shift to mouse buttons so you can use them in combination with the hat switch on your stick for slider functions. Rads, trim, mixture and the like.

Normally people bind ctrl, shift, and alt to a button on their HOTAS so you're literally never touching the keyboard other than to chat.

I realize all of this may be a challenge to you and others, but there are plenty of measures in place that facilitate not having to look at what you're pressing to effectively utilize any input controller.

Don't make it harder than it has to be. I'm sure simpler people do it every day. If you play a musical instrument it may be easier to visualize what I'm talking about.

we all have to adapt to this technology, just as we adapted to use TrackIR. If you buy this rig, you know that you will have to either have a HOTAS or learn to use your keyboard in the dark. Because dev can't make everybody happy and even if they try, there will always be complainer. 

But complaining about the lack of sight while using OR is like buying a brand new 4K monitor but plug it in on a super old graphic card and not understanding why it does not work perfectly and why it is all so jaggy and "slideshowish" in a brand new game