Unfortunately, things are starting to get ridiculous: what was supposed to be a useful feature and a seamless integration, it seems to have actually been transformed into a hindrance.

I've wrote to 1CGS Support Team about getting the promised Steam keys for all the IL-2 products I've bought, all of them from the official store, and all of them pre-orders and all of them collector editions (where they existed), and I've only got a response 1 week later. And a very confusing response at that.

Thanks for inquiring about Steam keys for your previously pre-ordered IL-2 product. Our records indicate that you qualify for these keys. Once we give you Steam keys for  BOK, Yak-1b, Ju 52/Зm, La-5FN series 2 and Bf 109 G-6 we will remove your copy of  BOK, Yak-1b, Ju 52/Зm, La-5FN series 2 and Bf 109 G-6 from our internal IL-2 user account database. This means that you cannot launch BOK, Yak-1b, Ju 52/Зm, La-5FN series 2 and Bf 109 G-6 as a stand-alone product using our launcher as was previously the case. This is because of the new rules Valve has forced upon us and our new Steam implementation to support those rules. Your forum badges will remain though.

Please advise us on how you would like to proceed. Do you want the keys yes or no?

I've asked several questions

I'm not sure I understand exactly what do you mean by that.

Currently, I have BoS, BoM, La-5 Series 8, Fw 190 A-3, P-40E-1 and MC.202 Series VIII appearing as owned on Steam. This means I can not use them as standalone using your launcher?
Why would BoK, BoP, Yak-1b, Ju 52/Зm, La-5FN series 2 and Bf 109 G-6 be different then?

Because as far as you advertised ALL these products on your store, it was supposed to have both IL-2 AND Steam keys (as in working from both the IL-2 launcher AND Steam)?

And what about the  Blazing Steppe and Ten Days of Autumn campaigns? You haven't mentioned them as qualifying for Steam keys.

And what about the Tank Crew – Clash at Prokhorovka and Flying Circus – Volume I products? Buying them from the official store would provide Steam keys, or not? And when will they be available on Steam?

at which they responded just repeating the fact that

We may provide you Steam keys for  "BOK, Yak-1b, Ju 52/ZM, La-5fn, Ju 52/ZM Series 2 and Bf 109 G-6 ", but you will not be able to access this content by launching the game via launcher. 
You will only be able to access this content when you start the game via Steam

Please advise us on how you pronounce like to proceed. Do you want the keys Yes or no?

It seems that the support team doesn't really speak english, or at least that's what their response is making me believe is the situation.

Can I get an official answer to my questions, please?

Why do you have to remove my option to launch from he IL-2 launcher if I'm getting the associated Steam keys? It seems an arbitrary limitation which has nothing to do with Steam. What will happen if in the future you will decide you won't work with Steam anymore, and some future addons will only be sold via the official store, and not through Steam too?!! Or what happens if you/Valve decide to pull IL-2 from the Steam?!!

My account can not log at the same time from both Steam and IL-2 launcher, so I can't run both of them at the same time - so then why do such thing and limit the products to either Steam or IL-2 store?

I am a game developer myself, and I've implemented Steam SDK into games too, I know very well what's possible and what's not. You can have a hybrid authentication system using both Steam and your own auth server in any kind of combination, so why do this and enforce an either Steam or IL-2 policy?!! Wasn't this supposed to be a useful integration, and not a war between 777 and Valve?!!

Because frankly, that's how it feels like. And I, one of your legit customer which bought all your products as collector edition pre-orders, feel like getting p(h)uked all over.

Edited by adonys
  • Like 1

Hi Adonys,

I believe what they are trying to say is that by giving you steam keys, you will need to link your steam account to your game account if you have not done so already. Once this is done, you can no longer use the stand alone game client downloaded from the website to access these digital goods.  You must use the Steam client exclusively from here on to see them.

If you read the official post here:-

it might make more sense. 

I've read everything they said about the Steam integration. And I've already linked my accounts, the Steam and IL-2 ones.

I just fail to understand why remove the IL-2 keys, and force my login/start the game through Steam only?!! because that's what I understand from what support said.

Once this is done, you can no longer use the stand alone game client downloaded from the website to access these digital goods.

There's nothing implying that in the 

and even if it would have been (after they will eventually add it), why do such a thing? That has nothing to do with Steam, or any kind of Steam limitation!

Edited by adonys
1 minute ago, adonys said:

I've read everything they said about the Steam integration. And I've already linked my accounts, the Steam and IL-2 ones.

I just fail to understand why remove the IL-2 keys, and force my login/start the game through Steam only?!! because that's what I understand from what support said.

Well I could be mistaken, but I think its to do with the way the steam API works. Once the accounts are linked 1CGS no longer see you <user@emailaddress> but as some random number generated by steam.

16 minutes ago, =FEW=Herne said:

Well I could be mistaken, but I think its to do with the way the steam API works. Once the accounts are linked 1CGS no longer see you <user@emailaddress> but as some random number generated by steam.

They can still get information of that account via the API. And they also have that Steam account linked with the IL-2 account. So they can control that, at least if the accounts are linked. And mine is. And they also have the IL-2 keys linked with the Steam ones (as they are the ones giving them). And they can even redeem them through the API to the damn Steam linked account (so no-one could "steal" them and use them for a separate account).

Edited by adonys

Don't panic lol

I got my keys from support, I don't use non steam version so i don't really care, also i bought stalingrad on steam firts so i would not have that one as my moscow or kuban i got here on their installer thing.

Nothing will happen if steam deletes IL-2, you will always have it in library and be able to play, I don't see why would it be deleted anyway. You can also buy stuff on their store so even if devs would no longer sell new stuff on steam, you can still buy it here and it would work with steam. Maybe it's just some protection that you won't use non steam version and just sell your keys, but i don't know.

All i can say i got my keys, put them on steam, everything is still in my game, i did not lose anything. I only play on steam so even if they removed stuff from that drm free thing, does not affect me. But i would not be worried about "steam removing il2", you would still be able to play it. I own Wings of Prey on steam, it was removed from store and you can't buy it anymore. Yet i have it and can play.

Edit: Scripted campaigns never had steam keys info as far as i remember. Only BoBP had, so i don't think you will get keys for them, i have 10 days of autumn did not get keys for that (did not even ask tho :P ) it's not on steam anyway. Wonder why...

Tanks and WW1 did not have info about steam keys as well, so you won't get keys for these one as well. It will be on steam after early access, unless devs change their ways and add pre order option on steam as well.

Edited by InProgress

I guess you are confused, sir. You are first saying that "I don't use non steam version so i don't really care" and then "I only play on steam".

Yes, the game will still work on Steam even if they will pull it out, but NOT the multiplayer part.

I repeat, I fail to see the reason to remove the IL-2 original keys once you are generating the equivalent Steam keys. Do not remove them if I have the accounts linked, or just close the damn IL-2 client if the Steam client tries to login using the paired keys if you are so concerned someone is trying to steal you and play "twice", but do not punish the legit customers which are not trying anything stupid.

image.thumb.png.b2b21bd0902e51b83e938333ea05daaa.png

look at the last question on this post. I don't know the reasons why, but the answer was clear, and I suspect this answer relates to your initial question. So you can either accept sneaksie's answer at face value, or you can continue to try and get more technical answers from the dev's through the support route.

I pulled that post from the 3.004 update thread if you want to find it for yourself, it might be worth you reading through that because I think there was an ongoing discussion in that thread at the time.

What? I don't use non steam version, which means i play steam only. Non steam = outside of steam. I only play on steam.

7 minutes ago, adonys said:

Yes, the game will still work on Steam even if they will pull it out, but NOT the multiplayer part.

I don't think it's correct. Steam does not run multiplayer servers, people do or companies. If company closes multi (Gamespy) you could still play it using gameranger or other software.

9 minutes ago, adonys said:

I repeat, I fail to see the reason to remove the IL-2 original keys once you are generating the equivalent Steam keys. Do not remove them if I have the accounts linked, or just close the damn IL-2 client if the Steam client tries to login using the paired keys if you are so concerned someone is trying to steal you and play "twice", but do not punish the legit customers which are not trying anything stupid.

Yeah i get it,  i just think it's some kind of way to prevent people taking adventage and selling steam keys while still being able to play. Maybe (i really dont know) they delete your kuban so if you don't use steam key, you will lose kuban from steam as well. So because of it, you will HAVE to redeem key on your accaunt if you want game. Just me thinking, i dont really know 100%.

41 minutes ago, =FEW=Herne said:

image.thumb.png.b2b21bd0902e51b83e938333ea05daaa.png

look at the last question on this post. I don't know the reasons why, but the answer was clear, and I suspect this answer relates to your initial question. So you can either accept sneaksie's answer at face value, or you can continue to try and get more technical answers from the dev's through the support route.

I pulled that post from the 3.004 update thread if you want to find it for yourself, it might be worth you reading through that because I think there was an ongoing discussion in that thread at the time.

My BoS base game, same as ALL the other related games/planes, were bought on the official IL-2 store, and NOT on Steam. Is not the same situation. That's something I've asked support, but they just ignored the question

Currently, I have BoS, BoM, La-5 Series 8, Fw 190 A-3, P-40E-1 and MC.202 Series VIII appearing as owned on Steam. This means I can not use them as standalone using your launcher?

This is a mess, and I, the honest client, don't want to have nothing with it. I've bought everything in here, pre-ordered and collector editions on top of everything, I've linked my accounts, I just want the products to appear on my Steam page too (as partially some of them already are, redeemed by me on Steam using the provided associated Steam keys).

Edited by adonys

Got my keys today to Steam only Bf-109 G6 is missing and they promised to give it bit later.

People please go write reviews to Steam it will help developers to get more customers and we get more content when they are doing good financially.

Just added positive reviews to all main expansions and updated the old Stalingrad one.

Edited by Godspeed

I have the same issue. I got one reply, but it was for something I didn't even ask for (they sent me a dserver key; I've no idea why).

On the other hand, I'm guessing that it is summer vacation time, they are probably overworked and there is no doubt a massive backlog of these things to sort out. Just be patient for a few more weeks and then, if still nothing, perhaps try submitting another ticket. Keep it really simple (or write in Russian). Others seem to have had a positive experience, so I'm sure it is just a matter of waiting.

Well, I'm waiting. I've also tried to contact Jason, both via a message in here and an email, but got no response yet.

And I don't want support's "solution", ie having keys only for Steam, that wasn't what it was presented when we bought the products, we were always told that we'll have Steam keys in addition to the IL-2 keys.

Probably because you've probably got them from 3rd party sites, and the keys were considered illegal and requested to be revoked by 777/1CGS.

If you bought them from Steam, then you should contact support.

Edited by adonys